Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

nathanm

Re: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
« Reply #20 on: 5 Jun 2008, 04:37 pm »
I liked it more than I expected, but it didn't have quite the humor or charm of the other films.  Action-wise, there's only so much credibility-stretching I can take.  I can almost buy the refrigerator scene more than I can buy the falling over three waterfalls without incident scene.  Why have so many people died going over Niagara falls in armoured containers when you can do it in an open raft?  Or how about the great mass of swirling debris which just happens to miss our heroes by inches.  Or the bizarre selective Hollywood physics where magnetism is kind of a subjective thing.  Where magnets can attract things from across a warehouse but can be easily shielded with a piece of sackcloth when necessary. Hmmm…  Too much CGI too, Indy was always about analog stunts.  Not this green screen soundstage stuff.  I agree with Phil, the vine swinging scene was absolutely  ridiculous.  However I did really dig the big Russian dude reenacting the cover of Pestilence "Consuming Impulse".  Much of the jungle chase\fight reminded me of Jackson's "King Kong".

PhilNYC

« Reply #21 on: 5 Jun 2008, 05:40 pm »
I don't mean to pile on this movie, but did anyone else think that Karen Allen looked just a little too happy to have a job acting again? :shake:

kbuzz3

« Reply #22 on: 5 Jun 2008, 08:31 pm »
I don't mean to pile on this movie, but did anyone else think that Karen Allen looked just a little too happy to have a job acting again? :shake:

i agree with phil completely.  My main gripe with the movie is that you have seen all the stuff so many times before. While indy may have been first, its all ready a parody. See eg national treasure.

The directors and producers had to know know this. Thus they should have done it more tounge and cheek and goofed on themselves and indy's age.  Not just with a simple throw away line but with the whole hog. Otherwise the whole thing is like a bad SNL skit. I literally feel asleep. 

Karen allen in her prime was radiant and truly underutilized

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #23 on: 5 Jun 2008, 11:17 pm »
Weeellll,,,,, I guess I expected to stand alone on my 4.5 out of 5 rating but what can I say but I'm easily entertained. :lol: Besides I had gotten all wound up over that fake alien announcement so this Indy just got me all wound up,,, all over again.  :rotflmao: If you guys parties as much as I had for 33years, then you'd under why I'm such a spacecase. I can't get enough of alien storylines. :drool:

I've been walking a clean line now,,, 7 years come august 27 but after 33 years of substance abuse, the damage is done. :banghead: Anyways, that's my excuse for giving Indy a 4.5 ot of 5 and I'm sticking to it!  aa

Cheers,
Robin

stlblue

« Reply #24 on: 6 Jun 2008, 04:04 am »

What do you wanna bet Sean Connery read the script and never took Lucas' calls afterwards?  :lol:

ctviggen

« Reply #25 on: 29 Oct 2008, 11:50 pm »
I finally got around to seeing this, and I have to say that I thought it sucked. I just could not believe the main idea, the main item for which they were searching.  It's easily the worst of the four movies.  I'm glad I only spent $1.06 for it.

rpf

« Reply #26 on: 29 Oct 2008, 11:53 pm »
Mediocre at best.

Nick77

« Reply #27 on: 30 Oct 2008, 12:26 am »
I finally got around to seeing this, and I have to say that I thought it sucked. I just could not believe the main idea, the main item for which they were searching.  It's easily the worst of the four movies.  I'm glad I only spent $1.06 for it.

Ditto!  :lol:

Bigfish

« Reply #28 on: 30 Oct 2008, 01:26 am »
I started this thread after taking the family to the big screen to see this movie.  I was not impressed enough to bother renting the DVD and watching it again!

Ken

Woodsea

« Reply #29 on: 29 Nov 2008, 02:47 pm »
I liked this one.  I actually got a lump in my throat, I must be getting old and reminiscing lately, when Indie and his old flame met up again.  It was not up to the first 2, but I will be generous as I liked the villainous and the humor of the not double spy.  Plus, they open the door to a new Jr, the franchise needs a boost from the youth.  I love how we now have a different jumping the shark, but now it is a lead lined fridge!!  The dude would have been jelly even IF the heat and radiation didn't harm him.  But, that is how a 60+ year old Indie rides.  3/5

ajzepp

« Reply #30 on: 29 Nov 2008, 02:55 pm »
I didn't like it at all when I was watching the bootleg version on the computer, but after giving it a second chance on my big screen I don't hate it as much. It had a little more of the "feel" that I was missing the first time. Still the worst of the four to me, but not as far a departure as I initially felt.

anthony a.

« Reply #31 on: 2 Jan 2009, 07:06 am »
a little late, but terrible imo.  sorry, i hate to give so many negative reviews but this one tops them all.  utterly dissappointed.  idea, acting and overall ending struck me as trying too hard to fill in a story 30 years later.  shia's acting was crap imo, trying to be bad but totally not succeeding.  other than transformers and maybe eagle eye, i don't think he's very good.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #32 on: 2 Jan 2009, 07:12 am »
a little late, but terrible imo.  sorry, i hate to give so many negative reviews but this one tops them all.  utterly dissappointed.  idea, acting and overall ending struck me as trying too hard to fill in a story 30 years later.  shia's acting was crap imo, trying to be bad but totally not succeeding.  other than transformers and maybe eagle eye, i don't think he's very good.

Almost 1 bad review a minute for the last 7 minutes,,,, hell your on a roll, why stop now? :lol:

Cheers,
Robin

ajzepp

« Reply #33 on: 2 Jan 2009, 07:18 am »
LOL!

If he didn't give Black Book a thumb's up, I would have had to completely discredit his taste in film  :green:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #34 on: 2 Jan 2009, 09:56 pm »
I sorta forgot about this one, saw it in the theater shortly after it opened.  I'd give maybe 2.5 stars out of 5, not brilliant but not terrible.  Except for the fridge scene! :duh:  That had to be the most moronic sequence I've ever seen in a film, and I've seen some bad ones.  Forget "jumping the shark"- hencefore we can all just say "nuking the fridge."

That said, the interplay between Mutt & Indy was great, and I thought Blanchet was good in a cookie cutter type role.  The action was good in parts but the CGI was too overblown and really bogged down the final acts.  Yes, it was a great, nostalgic trip down memory lane, and they could do worse than to annoint LeBouf as Indy's successor.  Overall I thought the movie was fun and I don't regret going; I'd recommend it as a rental but probably not a keeper.

sts9fan

anthony a.

« Reply #36 on: 2 Jan 2009, 10:20 pm »
Almost 1 bad review a minute for the last 7 minutes,,,, hell your on a roll, why stop now? :lol:

Cheers,
Robin

haha, what can i say, they don't make good movies anymore. 

satfrat

• Restricted

The Dude

« Reply #38 on: 3 Jan 2009, 09:33 am »
I'll tell you what bugged me the most about this film: Shia LaBeouf.

mjosef

« Reply #39 on: 3 Jan 2009, 09:49 am »
Hah...just saw this two nights ago, wasn't as bad as I "read", just a little below average for an action adventure movie. But does show that the Indy films has totally ran out of steam, which seems to be the modus operande of SS and GL...come up with one good idea and just run with it until no one shows up.
Yeah and that Shia guy sure bugs the hell outa me also.
2/5 stars