Hollogram III

dcktr

Hollogram III
« on: 23 May 2008, 04:14 am »
Sorry if I am behind the times, is the Hollogram III power supply for the SB3 available for purchase. Any comments form those that may be using it? Current costs?  I did not see much on the website

AKSA

Re: Hollogram III
« Reply #1 on: 23 May 2008, 04:24 am »
Not in the US.

I have an agreement with Wayne of Bolder Cables whereby he sells my modules in his supplies for the
SB3 from Colorado.  I can sell in Oz, Asia and Europe.

There is little on the website, no prices either, because I'm just now putting the finishing touches to a supply for the Duet, which is 9V 580mA and uses a much smaller power plug.  The SB3 is 5V and 760mA.

Some comments on performance of my Nirvana modules in Waynes supplies can be found here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=48606.0

Quite a few SB3 supplies were sold by Bolder in the US (around 20 so far), but now the new kid on the block is the Duet, and I will be selling this supply pretty well everywhere.  If you are in Oz, give me a call.

Cheers,

Hugh

dcktr

« Reply #2 on: 23 May 2008, 04:49 am »
Thanks for the quick response
If there are any folks living in the land of oz that have experience with the hollogram....and compare to the elpac or other PS, and/or are looking to sell their HIII  aa, let me know.
Thanks

Felipe

« Reply #3 on: 23 May 2008, 12:41 pm »
Hugh,

The website reeeealy needs an update. Ate least a post on the news !!
Do let us know what are your plans, as i am intending to upgrade my SB2 PS and didnt decide to wich one yet !! If you have a solution...do share !!  :scratch:

Cheers

AKSA

« Reply #4 on: 24 May 2008, 09:03 am »
Felipe,

No confirmation of sonics just yet.....  I have to get my Duet to work, it's easy for a computer man, but digital matters leave me cold and I'm negotiating help from Logitech to connect it up.  It's flaky software, not good on the cable which is my preferred option, and I have to wade through IP addressing and DCHP issues to get it running.

Once done, I then have to get a special plug to supply power;  they have changed it from the original SB, which is a real frustration.

As for the website, be patient with me!!  I find this stuff really difficult, and will do it when I have something to say......  (I have been told I should not make any political comment for fear of upsetting people, but this time around I may not be able to help myself!)

Cheers,

Hugh

Felipe

« Reply #5 on: 25 May 2008, 03:29 pm »
Hugh,

Sure hope you can get that software up and running, you'll see in the end its not that hard...just a different approach to audio gear. :green:

Just tell me this, i am not interested (for now ate least) in the Duet supply. I have a SB2 and that is what i am looking to feed with a very good PS. Will you be offering a complete PS to the SB or just for the duet?
Or will you just sell the Regulators ?  :scratch:

I am bit confused, that why i asked you to update the news...but please dont take it as a critic, rather as an advice.
Thanks Hugh
Filipe

AKSA

« Reply #6 on: 27 May 2008, 11:15 pm »
Felipe,

My generation was not born to software;  we are analog guys.  At 40 I went back to University to do a Masters in BIT, but while I did well in my chosen subjects I never could learn to drive some software, and particularly to configure things like routers, modems, and so on.  I can do most things, but not that.  Age and grumpiness doesn't help, either.  The SqueezeBox is a great product, but it's a bitch to set up, and I ascribe this to poorly designed setup programs which cannot figure out the environment and take the necessary choices automatically.  I'd say the setup has drum brakes, instead of discs!

As for news, and the update, no offense taken at all - there's another area I find difficult!

Cheers,

Hugh

Greg Erskine

« Reply #7 on: 28 May 2008, 05:46 am »
The SqueezeBox is a great product, but it's a bitch to set up, and I ascribe this to poorly designed setup programs which cannot figure out the environment and take the necessary choices automatically.  I'd say the setup has drum brakes, instead of discs!

Hi Hugh,

WTF, you must have a different Squeezebox to me. They are extremely easy to setup. If you are using wireless then wireless router must be setup first. Mine automatically finds the wireless network, sets the IP address via DHCP, then finds the Slimserver on the network. You may need to input the WEP key initially or select which Slimserver if you have multiple Slimservers (SqeezCentres) on your network. The first time it probably took me half an hour because I didn't know what I was doing. Wireless networks were new to me. Direct wiring makes it even easier as most issues are wireless networking issues.

I have gone through this process many times as I change computers regularly and experiment with nightly builds of SlimServer/SqueezeCentre). Firmware upgrades are painless. I have a SB and Transporter connected wirelessly and I have tried hard wiring once (as a test of you). How can they make it easier, it almost plug and play now!

If you are having problems I think it must be computer or networking issues, not Squeezebox problems.

EDIT: I guess you could have a bad SB.

BTW: I was born in the 50's

regards

AKSA

« Reply #8 on: 28 May 2008, 07:30 am »
Greg,

Here's the chance to be a bit rueful!!   :jester:

Hmmm.......  so I must be an idiot, QED!!  Ah, well, you wins some, you lose some......   :duh: :lol: :deadhorse:

BTW:  This is actually a Duet, not a SB, and I'm using a crossover cable, and while it comes up 'connected' under network properties, it seems to lock up on 'acquiring the connection' and the red light on the receiver keeps slowly flashing.  This looks like bad syntax to me, and yes, it's a network issue and they really do prefer wireless.

Added to this, it keeps asking for a 'Player PIN code' which leaves me speechless.  WTF is that, it's not listed in the instructions anywhere?

Greg Erskine

« Reply #9 on: 28 May 2008, 12:14 pm »
Hi Hugh,

I hope I didn't sound disrespectful, we all know you are not a idiot.  :green:

I haven't seen or played with a Duet so I don't know if they behave like the old Squeezebox.

I have seen the Player PIN Code once, but I thought it was only used to get access to Sqeezenetwork via the internet. I had forgotten that connecting to Squeezenetwork was more of a PIA than connecting a SB to your SqeezeServer.

http://slimdevices.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/slimdevices.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=8386&p_created=1210718695&p_sid=k1yhcS4j&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MSwxJnBfcHJvZHM9MCZwX2NhdHM9JnBfcHY9JnBfY3Y9JnBfcGFnZT0xJnBfc2VhcmNoX3RleHQ9cGxheWVyIFBJTiBudW1iZXI*&p_li=&p_topview=1

regards

TomS

« Reply #10 on: 28 May 2008, 01:27 pm »
Greg,

Here's the chance to be a bit rueful!!   :jester:

Hmmm.......  so I must be an idiot, QED!!  Ah, well, you wins some, you lose some......   :duh: :lol: :deadhorse:

BTW:  This is actually a Duet, not a SB, and I'm using a crossover cable, and while it comes up 'connected' under network properties, it seems to lock up on 'acquiring the connection' and the red light on the receiver keeps slowly flashing.  This looks like bad syntax to me, and yes, it's a network issue and they really do prefer wireless.

Added to this, it keeps asking for a 'Player PIN code' which leaves me speechless.  WTF is that, it's not listed in the instructions anywhere?

Hugh,

I believe Big Red Machine (Pete) recently had similar difficulty with his Duet setup requiring a password for some unknown reason.  He went back and forth on it several times though I think he ultimately gave up and went back to the SB3 and/or Transporter.  You might PM him or search over on Discless Circle to see what he did to resolve his problem.

Tom

AKSA

« Reply #11 on: 29 May 2008, 07:36 am »
Thanks Tom,

I had a chat with Wayne today and he says that the Duet doesn't need a crossover cable;  a conventional cable is fine.  This is a head start I guess.....  he gave me a few tips, but suggested by far the easiest way was to use the wireless connection, which I might do as I do have a wireless router.

Greg,

Actually, I think that on a few selected subjects we are all idiots, and I put my hand up on matters digital.  It's easy to walk on stilts, or write an essay, or solder, but I know people who will never ever be able to do these things.  It always helps if you have an interest, too.  I remember never being able to understand COBOL, yet I could cut the code mechanically.  Bertrand Russell couldn't even make a cup of tea.....  it's all just part of the rich tapestry!  I certainly didn't take offense.   :)

Cheers,

Hugh

Greg Erskine

« Reply #12 on: 30 May 2008, 06:38 am »
I had a chat with Wayne today and he says that the Duet doesn't need a crossover cable;  a conventional cable is fine. 

Normally, you use a crossover cable if you are connecting "the device" directly to the network port on your computer. Most people would connect "their device" into a router or switch, then you use a conventional cable. It have tested this with a SB.

I can't imagine Slimdevices would build a non-satndard ethernet port on the Duet.

RonR

« Reply #13 on: 30 May 2008, 07:48 am »
Good Grief, I didn't think I'd ever see that acronym again!

During the Code Wars I was a COBOL programmer, before the advent of the PC and the Interweb.
Back when computers were REAL computers, fed with 3-Phase power and kept in Air-conditioned splendour.

Happy days.......

(Eyes glaze over)

But back to the point. Greg's hit the nail on the head. Crossovers should be used when connecting two like devices together. i.e. two PCs, two switches, a Duet to a PC, etc. Straight cables are used for connecting end devices to a piece of networking equipment. i.e. PC to switch, Duet to router, etc.

Cheers,

Ron
« Last Edit: 30 May 2008, 07:59 am by RonR »

AKSA

« Reply #14 on: 30 May 2008, 12:26 pm »
Ah, thanks guys, a crossover then, huh?

Unless I go from the receiver to the router, then it's a normal cable, OK?   :duh:

DSK, Darren, will be here tomorrow to audition an amp.  I'm hoping he will point me in the right direction!!   :nono:

Thanks for the tips.  Happy days!!

Code Wars, I liked that Ron!   :lol:

Cheers,

Hugh

Felipe

« Reply #15 on: 30 May 2008, 01:49 pm »
Hey guys,

Thats right, you hit the sweet spot in Hugh's problem. Ethernet crossover cables cannot be used to link a device to a router. Just to add some logic into it, as i know Hugh apreciates the analog part of it :

Crossover cables are just what they are named after. In a normal cable you have 4 wires responsible for data transmission + 4 wires to control and signal. Thats 8 wires total, or 4 pairs as it is seen actually.
From those 4 wires, 2 are for Receiving (+,-) and 2 for Transmitting (+,-). So in a normal configuration SB/Duet to Router, the source receiver wire connects to end transmitter wire and the source transmitter wire to the end receiver wire!  :scratch:

If you put 2 devices that are alike : Computer, Duet/SB or other source, and need them to comunicate directly, you will have to "CROSS OVER" the cable ! So you will switch the 2 wires from one end of the cable to the other 2. Receiving becomes Transmitting and vice versa. In practice, Wires 1,2 become 3,6 and vice versa. 

Routers are designed to do that (and a few more things) ! Just re-wire in order to establish a comunication between devices.

Too much geek for ya?  :o :o
hope i helped more than i scramble...

Now...plug in that Duet and start listening to some Music !!
Felipe

Wayne1

« Reply #16 on: 30 May 2008, 03:54 pm »
Gentlemen,

The Ethernet port on the DUET is not a non standard port. It IS an autosensing port that can tell what is plugged into it and it will configure the connections according to the use.

You can use a crossover cable to connect direct to a computer or you can use a standard Ethernet cable to connect to the computer. It doesn't matter. The DUET will switch the connections internally to use the correct wiring.

Technology does march onward.

Hugh,

The wireless router will be the easiest way to set up the DUET. Also, download the latest official SlimCenter software. There have been a few changes to help keep connections stable. I also suggest you try to keep your main computer always running. There have been some problems when SlimCenter is shut down and then restarted the next day. All of this is being worked on in software and firmware revisions.

Greg Erskine

« Reply #17 on: 30 May 2008, 07:50 pm »
Gentlemen,

The Ethernet port on the DUET is not a non standard port. It IS an autosensing port that can tell what is plugged into it and it will configure the connections according to the use.

You can use a crossover cable to connect direct to a computer or you can use a standard Ethernet cable to connect to the computer. It doesn't matter. The DUET will switch the connections internally to use the correct wiring.

Technology does march onward.

Thanks Wayne,

There is always something new, "Automatic receive polarity correction"

regards

AKSA

« Reply #18 on: 31 May 2008, 12:05 pm »
Hmmm,

DSK has spent six hours on this, to no avail.  He runs a help desk, knows a thing or two, finds the instructions and the remote difficult to figure out.  That's saying something......

Wayne,

Thanks for the input, much appreciated.  We tried for a long time to get the wireless to work, couldn't get the PC, the router and the modem to talk together, so I guess we can't blame the Duet for that, then when we switched to Duet cable operation it kept informing us it was looking for a 'wireless' connection and no matter what could not accept the IP of the PC.

It's not bright enough to sense its operating environment, perhaps.....

Still no bloody music.  Might give it a go with the Logitech help desk, if nothing comes of it, my Duet will be for sale.

Cheers,

Hugh

Felipe

« Reply #19 on: 31 May 2008, 02:18 pm »
 :scratch: :scratch:
Dear god, seems like you are having serious problems.
 :scratch: :scratch:

Didn't know the Duet had the new "inteligent" ports that adapt themselves to what they are connected to.
First thing you need to do is get the PC and router talking. If that doesnt work, nothing will.
Even if its only 1 way. What router do you have? Model ? Brand?

I have an Airport Express from Apple myself that gives me more trouble than use! I brought it to brasil to have wireless at home...and sometimes even i cannot seem to configure it properly. It keeps loosing profiles and its a bitch to configure back again... i really am thinking of going duck hunting with it !! :evil:

Best of luck
Felipe