I have reached NIRVANA...and it sounds soooo good!!

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
I have reached NIRVANA...and it sounds soooo good!!
« on: 18 Dec 2007, 01:47 am »
Now that I have some hours with the Nirvana Ultimate Power Supply in my system, I thought it would be a good time to give some initial thoughts and comments on how it is performing.

In a word...WOW!!!

While each previous version of Wayne's external PS for the Squeeze Box has been good to excellent, the Nirvana really does take things to a whole new level!!  I think it is fair to say that Wayne and Hugh have totally hit the mark on their first collaboration.   :thumb:

I inserted the Nirvana Ultimate PS into my current system (Vandersteen 5A's, McAllister PP-150 amp, Bolder Cable Statement SB3, Bolder Cable modified Burson Buffer, Black Sand Statement One and Silver Ref Mk V power cords, VH Audio Spectrum Cu ic's, Gregg Straley speaker cables, Running Springs Audio Haley, and CI Audio XDC-2) as a replacement for my Ultimate Mk IV PS.  My comments are based on observations in my system that hasn't changed for the last 4-6 weeks (the last major change was temporarily substituting the PP-150 in place of the Bella Extreme 100's so I could hear how the PP-150 performed in my reference system).

As usual, I went immediately to my test cd's that I use to evaluate any changes in my system:

Natalie Merchant - Tigerlily
Ben Harper - Fight For Your Mind
The Bad Plus - These Are the Vistas
Rusted Root - When I Woke
Sam Cooke - Nightbeat
Ryan Adams - Gold

So what did I hear?

I heard "more". 

By that I mean more detail, more speed and slam, more blackness and the ability to hear deeper into the music, more depth in the soundstage, and more of me wanting to sit there in my music chair.

To be honest, there was such a level of improvement over the Ultimate Mk IV, that all of the "mores" were a little distracting in the beginning.  Instead of melting into the music, I was noticing all of the changes and marveling over how different it sounded.  As others have stated, this PS produces a very fast sound, with a leading edge and attack that is up there with the best digital I have heard.  This and the really black background really made things sound more like a really well produced live event. 

Once I became used to all of these improvements, I was able to go back to just enjoying the music and its overall presentation.  Everything is well balanced and no one area is emphasized at the expense of another.  With the Nirvana Ultimate in place, my feet never stopped tapping and I didn't want to get up and stop playing music.

In the next installment, I will go into details of what I heard in regards to the test cd's listed above.  This will hopefully provide a little more context and help explain why I am so impressed with this product.

George

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
Re: I have reached NIRVANA...and it sounds soooo good!!
« Reply #1 on: 18 Dec 2007, 05:33 am »
Uhhh, scary is all I can say.  :o

Thanks for your thoughts George.

I say scary, because I had the Ultimate (Mk II ?) PS on loan from Wayne for a few weeks before RMAF. Compared to my Bolder modded Elpac PS, the difference was quite something. So to hear that the Nirvana goes up another notch, is saying a lot. Almost hard to believe. But I've learned that it is in fact, very possible, and more than likely, probable.

I hate writing reviews, but I will try and do it succinctly and accurately as possible.

As a longtime musician and recording engineer, I am an absolute neurotic when it comes to detail, spatial imaging ( aka soundstage ), dynamics (micro and macro), quick leading edge transients, timbre, neutral frequency response, and low noise floor.

I'm also a "less is more" mentality. Something that is a direct result of my aforementioned background.

My system at the time was a Bolder full analog modded SB3, directly driving into a pair of ATI 1202 stereo power amps in a vertical bi-amp configuration, driving custom built GR Research OB 5 and OB 7 main speakers, with a GR Research PR active sub. IC's were KCI Silkworm 99.998% solid gold, speaker cables were Bolder Cable Nitros.

What the Ultimate PS MK II did:

The background does get blacker. Detail becomes very detailed. As a result, the edges and depth of the soundstage become sharper and more well defined. Positioning of instruments in the soundstage becomes more focused.

The most interesting thing I noticed is something I shared with Wayne afterhours at RMAF. More on that later....

The overall timbre of instruments is fuller. There are a number of tracks that I use as a reference, with a number of recordings that include a lot of percussion and acoustic instruments that I'm very familiar with.

On these tracks, with the Ultimate PS, I noticed quite an improvement in the sound of cymbals. Hi-hats now had the shoosh, and thunk that they never had before, as well as a more defined leading edge attack.

On lightly strummed acoustic guitars, the shimmering highs of playing lightly with an ultra light gauge pick as a means to add shimmer to a track, have more timbre and fullness, not just the scraping of the pick, and overtones.

Acoustic guitars, whether fingerpicked, or strummed have more of the resonance and formant of the guitar body than before, that really help in the sensation that the player is almost right there playing in front of you.

The exact same thing happens with snare drums. You really feel the thump of the snare, along with a more sharp leading edge. It just sounds closer to real.

Kick drums also become more defined, in attack, and outer edges of where they appear in the soundstage, are better defined as well. There is a clearer separation between the kick, and bass guitar. Lows, seem to get pushed lower and further from the lower mid range in the overall frequency response, giving a clearer image into the lower registers of recordings.

The level of refinement that the Ultimate PS brought to my full analog modded Bolder SB 3 was without exageration, like two overall similar sounding transports, but one clearly being the more refined version.

George's WOW! is not unlike what I felt.  I just sat there smiling, shaking my head in amazement looking at this black box asking myself how it's possible that it could make that kind of difference. I've spoken to a number of people with EE backgrounds and have found out a lot about how important the power supply section is in audio. The theory squares very well with the results I've heard.

At the pricetag of the PS, I would love nothing more than to say to myself that it was an OK improvement, but I'm afraid I've discovered that it is in fact much more than that. It makes a world class difference in my system that I was already very, very pleased with. What I heard still astonishes me.

If you have an SB 3, I would encourage you to try and demo the Ultimate PS. If you don't have an SB 3, I would encourage you to demo Bolder's versions of the SB 3. They are that good.

Also, the service you get from Wayne at Bolder is second to none.

This is what I said to Wayne in regards to the Ultimate PS. I said there's no way that I can think of, that a power supply can add the improvements that I heard. Only that a poorly designed (or underperforming) can rob a component ( in this case, a transport/DAC) of those qualities that I'm hearing in the Ultimate PS.

I guess that means that the bottom line is, is that Wayne's efforts are coming even closer to being an ideally performing power supply, that allows as much potential from the SB 3 to be realised.

Keep up the great work Wayne, and thank you for all the stuff you've been so kind to let me demo. I couldn't be more pleased with everything I have purchased from Bolder Cable.

Cheers

95bcwh

« Reply #2 on: 18 Dec 2007, 05:40 am »
So George, I bet your system now is sounding better than your friend's who owns the Evolution Acoustics MM3??? aa aa

Anyway, I am glad to read another excellent review on Wayne's good work. 
« Last Edit: 18 Dec 2007, 03:58 pm by 95bcwh »

Rasta

« Reply #3 on: 18 Dec 2007, 06:12 am »
I upgraded from the Ultimate Mark II to the full Nirvana and I will also say that it is a big step.  I wasn't sure a power supply could take it that much further, but it definitely does.  I'm using the Nirvana and Bolder digital modded SB3 as a transport into a tube dac.  IMHO, I would be surprised if there is a transport, cost no object, that could beat this combo.

Now I have to find a tube dac worthy of its company.   :roll:

TomS

« Reply #4 on: 18 Dec 2007, 11:00 am »
The short version for me is that I have experienced similar improvements with my Nirvana PS on digital only.  I haven't reset my system to use the analog out mode, as I now go direct SPDIF into the DCX2496 XO for the CS2's.

I have no rational explanation for why it sounds better on digital only, but I know I couldn't go back now.   I wish I had a way with reviewing/words that Zybar and DGO do, but suffice it to say, this is yet another very worthwhile upgrade from Wayne.  Just when you might have thought the SB platform couldn't go further, along come Wayne and Hugh together to do just that.  Yes, it's that good.

Tom

mr_bill

« Reply #5 on: 18 Dec 2007, 03:11 pm »
Wayne,
How much for the analog mods and burson buffer needed to reach this level of performance and how much for the ultimate with nirvana ps?
You fellow AC'ers have me intrigued!
Thanks,
Bill

Wayne1

« Reply #6 on: 18 Dec 2007, 03:44 pm »
Hello Bill,

George has a Statement modded SB3. That is $1,000.00 for the mods alone. If you have a previous Bolder modded SB, the upgrade to the Statement analog section is $350.00. That is if you already have an analog modded sB3. If you have just the digital mods, it can be upgraded to close to the Statement, but for extra cost.

TomS has a SB2 that I added the Statement analog section to. I also did a bit of work on the digital end of things for him.

A Burson Buffer retails for about $430 AUS. Including shipping, you should be able to get one for around $400.00 US.

I offer mods to the stock unit starting for $300.00. George has a very custom unit with a new transformer, case, silver WBT NextGen connectors. You would be looking at over $1,000.00 for that level of upgrade.

The Ultimate Nirvana PS, in it's current configuration, would go for a base price of $1500.00. DC cables start at $125.00 and go as high as $400.00. AC cables can go from $115.00 to a couple of thousand, depending on your preferences. Bybee Purifiers can also be added to the PS for additional improvements in lowering the noise floor. They are usually added in pairs at $250.00 for a pair, installed.

When all is said and done, you could easily spend $4,000.00 on mods, power supplies and buffers for the SB. This does not all have to be done at once. The upgrades are designed to be done in steps to slowly build to the top.

TomS

« Reply #7 on: 18 Dec 2007, 04:02 pm »
Mr_Bill,

I'd like to add on to what Wayne said about the beauty of incremental upgrades, which by themselves make it seem more affordable and manageable to me.  I would normally be very leary of constantly pulling these components out of my system, packing, sending them back, waiting for the work to be done, return shipment, etc.  When properly planned and communicated, Wayne's turnaround on these mods has been outstanding each time, allowing me to simply plan around when it will be gone.  He's just very good at setting expectations with you in advance.  As you probably know, this is something that can't be said about every modder, but it's very important to me.  Sometimes he might run into a problem or two, but he always keeps you informed.

Just for those times, I always keep a spare stock SB3 ($250) and wall wart power supply on hand so I at least have music during those times.  For most, not a real big price to pay for a backup.

In terms of the total investment, I think you'll find plenty of Bolder SB owners that gave up front ends far exceeding the $4k Wayne noted here.  I know because I'm one of them.  Then there's the convenience factor for the lazy among us (me) ;-)

Tom

mr_bill

« Reply #8 on: 18 Dec 2007, 04:06 pm »
Thanks Wayne and Tom,

Wayne,  if you could prioritize the upgrades that would be helpful.  What to do first in order to get the most improvements for the dollar.  I would look at the analog mods and power supplies rather than the digital mods.
Bill

TomS

« Reply #9 on: 18 Dec 2007, 04:12 pm »
Thanks Wayne and Tom,

Wayne,  if you could prioritize the upgrades that would be helpful.  What to do first in order to get the most improvements for the dollar.  I would look at the analog mods and power supplies rather than the digital mods.
Bill

I know you asked Wayne, but I'd definitely do the PS first.  It makes everything else seem like gravy.  Tom

Wayne1

« Reply #10 on: 18 Dec 2007, 04:23 pm »
Bill,

My standard answer is to start with the Enthusisast analog mods. Get a good linear PS, such as the modded ELPAC WM220-1 or the Channel Islands (One of my mod customers is sending one of these here this week. I am very excited to take a listen to it. I have spoken to Dusty and he explained a bit about some unique design features of this PS. I will compare it to my Welborne and a modded ELPAC) . Use that in you system for a bit to get used to the interface. Spend this time ripping all your music to HD.

Maybe next give the Buffer a try in stock form. THEN go for the Ultimate PS. Finally upgrade to Nirvana  :wink:

I have not listened to a stock SB with the Nirvana PS. I cannot offer an opinion if that would be a better first upgrade. I do not have any completed here at this time. Whenever I get a demo back, I will try this out, if I have a stock SB here  :wink:.

TomS, As you have both a stock SB, modded SB and the Nirvana, could you do a comparison sometime?

Thanks,
Wayne

TomS

« Reply #11 on: 18 Dec 2007, 06:50 pm »
Wayne,

Yes, I'd be glad to do some comparisons, but it's going to have to wait until after the holidays and I'll definitely need to get my analog setup back together first.  The past couple weeks with the wall wart reminded me of what a stock SB3 sounded like, but I had also switched from the Merlins to the CS2's.  I'll definitely need to re-calibrate myself a bit.

I have used the Ultimate MK II on the stock SB3 analog in the past, and I remember the bass extension/clarity and improvement to dynamic flow (soft-loud-soft transitions) were immediately evident.  Sort of like wiping a window clean and then letting it breathe better.

Tom

jrebman

« Reply #12 on: 18 Dec 2007, 08:20 pm »
All great to hear, and I'm looking forward to  my Nirvana upgrade.  BTW Wayne, it is on it's way to you as I type, so you should see it tomorrow.

-- Jim

AKSA

« Reply #13 on: 19 Dec 2007, 08:16 am »

George, Dayglow, Rasta, TomS,

I'm really chuffed you like Wayne's latest....  I'm proud to be associated with Bolder Cable, and long may it continue!   :bounce:

I appreciate the care and effort which goes into these very acute observations about the sound.  You can measure all you like but the final arbiter is always the ear, that said, I have rarely seen anyone with such a good ear as Wayne.  He shames us all!   :bowdown:

Ah, Jim,

If only I could send stuff to Wayne in one day - now that would be Nirvana!!    :slap:

Cheers,

Hugh

Rasta

« Reply #14 on: 22 Dec 2007, 02:04 am »
Hi Hugh,

chuffed - I like that!  I think :?
I'm not sure what you got cookin' here but it is a most potent brew! :beer:

I think it's funny how reality trumps theory every time. Glad to see some are still walkin' the walk! :icon_surprised: