• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Re: Jump Start?
« Reply #40 on: 23 May 2008, 05:18 am »
Lee....

Thanks for the info and photo's..... :thumb:

cryoparts

« Reply #41 on: 23 May 2008, 02:40 pm »
I used a bright color on the right so I could easily identify which cup goes on which side of my noggin, in low light.  In hindsight, the blue was probably not the best choice.   :duh:  However, it was sitting right in front of me and was within reach when I was doing the re-cable. 

And...it doesn't look that bright in real life, the camera really makes it glow.   :o

Plus, I think it's pretty. :lol:  The ladies love it.

Peace,

Lee

Nice recable on the dt990s but couldn't you find  some black heatshrink :thumb: :lol:

cryoparts

« Reply #42 on: 23 May 2008, 02:42 pm »
You bet. 

Which DT-990's do you have, pre or post 2005?  You can tell by the grills on the back of the driver, the post 2005 have the silver grills like mine.  There is also a Pro DT990 that has a coiled cord.

Lee 

Lee....

Thanks for the info and photo's..... :thumb:

saisunil

« Reply #43 on: 23 May 2008, 04:20 pm »
Hi Lee,

Taking the veil, err sorry, foam ;) out of the Senn 600 cups was simple and straightforward and it took just a minute.
How does it sound?

As if the foam, err veil has been lifted off  :lol:

I am not sure if I want to take the back foam out and that would be irreversible. What is the effect of taking the back foam off lee?

Cheers
Sunil.

saisunil

« Reply #44 on: 23 May 2008, 04:24 pm »
If there is anough interest in headphones on audiocircle, we can start another thread about what works in terms of phones and amp synergy based on listening preferences.

There is whole thing about tubes vs solid state amplification - not much different from 2 channel but it is much more affordable to do it with headphones than with speakers.

Cheers
Sunil.

cryoparts

« Reply #45 on: 23 May 2008, 06:37 pm »
Cool, I'm glad you like the tweak.  I much prefer the Senn's without the inner foam.

Removing the outer foam seems to open up the sound stage a bit more as well as allow the upper mids to bloom.  However, for my personal tastes, it was a little too much of a good thing.  The cans became a little too edgy in the upper mids for my tastes, however, many people like them with outer foam removed...so... :scratch: 

The bummer part of the whole deal is that it is next to impossible to put the rear foam back in once you have removed it.  And, if you don't like the results, you're kind of stuck.

Lee 

Hi Lee,

Taking the veil, err sorry, foam ;) out of the Senn 600 cups was simple and straightforward and it took just a minute.
How does it sound?

As if the foam, err veil has been lifted off  :lol:

I am not sure if I want to take the back foam out and that would be irreversible. What is the effect of taking the back foam off lee?

Cheers
Sunil.

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
« Reply #46 on: 24 May 2008, 02:43 am »
I would personally like to try one of the darkvoice amps either the 332 or 337. The only problem i have is that a i like a perfectly black back round and i listen to a fair amount of music with quite passage's., tube rush would ruin the experience. So how quite are tube head Phone amps?

Burlaptocashmer

« Reply #47 on: 25 May 2008, 06:59 pm »
Hey Guys, I know we are all over the page (topic wise) on this little thread so maybe this fits here? Has anyone ever heard of this "tweak?"

http://www.universalkaraoke.com/avm.htm

I'm a sucker for tweaks and I have never seen this one before,ha.

Here is another product but the video is amazing if true:

http://silentcoating.com/how.html

cryoparts

« Reply #48 on: 25 May 2008, 07:19 pm »
You, sir, are the master of finding unusual tweaks.   :lol:  You can now officially  be declared the winner of the first annual "Most Obscure Tweak Award!"   :thumb:

Seriously, I've never tried the stuff, so I have no comment as to how efficacious it is. If (...more like when) you order some, let us know how it works out.

Listening to the ED9's today?  :drool:

Lee

Hey Guys, I know we are all over the page (topic wise) on this little thread so maybe this fits here? Has anyone ever heard of this "tweak?"

cryoparts

« Reply #49 on: 25 May 2008, 07:28 pm »
Depends on how good the design is and which tubes are used.  I've heard some amps that are really noisy, and some that are dead quiet.  I, too, struggle with the tube/silicon dilemma.  I like what tubes add to some systems, but I also appreciate a dead quiet, spot on accurate amp like Dan's (burlaptocashmer)  $$$  Headroom amp.

I will say that the tube amps I have on hand don't bother me with excessive background noise.   However, the ambient level of noise where I listen, even late at night in the bedroom (lots of activity in my house at all hours), is still pretty high.  That, coupled with listening to open back cans most of the time, there may be a level of residual noise that masks any very low level tube rush or hiss. 

Lee

I would personally like to try one of the darkvoice amps either the 332 or 337. The only problem i have is that a i like a perfectly black back round and i listen to a fair amount of music with quite passage's., tube rush would ruin the experience. So how quite are tube head Phone amps?

Burlaptocashmer

« Reply #50 on: 25 May 2008, 07:38 pm »
You, sir, are the master of finding unusual tweaks.     You can now officially  be declared the winner of the first annual "Most Obscure Tweak Award!"

Ha, no that honor will forever go to Patric82. I am just a "poser" compared to him,ha. Seriously, this stuff could be really cool if it does work... one could find all kinds of audiophile uses for it.

Listening to the ED9's today?

Got 'em on right now and listening to a new Marcus Miller CD as I type... Shweeet! Let me know when you want to pick up the Predator?

ecramer

• Volunteer
« Reply #51 on: 25 May 2008, 07:49 pm »
Ok whats an ed9  :oops:

cryoparts

« Reply #52 on: 25 May 2008, 07:51 pm »
Ha, of course, how silly of me to bestow that award to you while he is still around.  Extreme Tweaking! 

Soon on the Predator.  Depends on if the surgery date stays as planned.  Thank you!

You should try and answer ecramer's post as you have a really nice and quiet listening area and have dabbled with those tube buffer deals.

Lee

You, sir, are the master of finding unusual tweaks.     You can now officially  be declared the winner of the first annual "Most Obscure Tweak Award!"

Ha, no that honor will forever go to Patric82. I am just a "poser" compared to him,ha. Seriously, this stuff could be really cool if it does work... one could find all kinds of audiophile uses for it.

Listening to the ED9's today?

Got 'em on right now and listening to a new Marcus Miller CD as I type... Shweeet! Let me know when you want to pick up the Predator?

cryoparts

« Reply #53 on: 25 May 2008, 07:52 pm »

ecramer

• Volunteer
« Reply #54 on: 25 May 2008, 07:53 pm »
Yep it rambles quite a bit and if it took a turn towards one direction or the other id split it off.

I worked for a company called Total Kitchens who manufactured stainless steal buffet lines and kitchen appliances. Ive used quite a few different coatings for sound deadening. I must say I am a little skeptical at there claims / video. Could be a new product, I would have loved something that worked that good.

The AVM looks a lot like the silicon dip they sell for re-coating small tool handles and  such

http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip

cryoparts

« Reply #55 on: 25 May 2008, 07:56 pm »
I have some of that in the garage.  Hmmm...

Lee

The AVM looks a lot like the silicon dip they sell for re-coating small tool handles and  such
http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip

ecramer

• Volunteer
« Reply #56 on: 25 May 2008, 08:21 pm »
Wow those Edition 9's look sweet, Way out of my price range  :( this week next week might be different  :lol: I have not been  hanging around head-fi for quite a while since i started putting money in my two channel  system. now you guys are peeking my interest again

ED

Burlaptocashmer

« Reply #57 on: 25 May 2008, 08:26 pm »
I have some of that in the garage.  Hmmm...

Open up something (expensive) and slather it own for the "team." It could be the "tweak" of the year! Seriously, what effect on electronics could this stuff have? Would it hurt to dampen the electronics...or at least the case lid? The Altman Dac guy uses a special C37 varnish on Dac chips and claims it works wonders? Here are some links on the subject for and against:

http://www.ennemoser.com/c37theory.html
http://sound.westhost.com/madashell9.htm

You should try and answer ecramer's post as you have a really nice and quiet listening area and have dabbled with those tube buffer deals.

I'm sorry did I miss a question somewhere?

Burlaptocashmer

« Reply #58 on: 25 May 2008, 08:38 pm »
Wow those Edition 9's look sweet, Way out of my price range   this week next week might be different   I have not been  hanging around head-fi for quite a while since i started putting money in my two channel  system. now you guys are peeking my interest again

Hey Ed, Thanks. They are wonderful Headphones and I have enjoyed them tremendously. I had Revelation Audio Recable them and they sound even better. Here are a few pictures of my gear if your interested:

« Last Edit: 25 May 2008, 08:52 pm by Burlaptocashmer »

cryoparts

« Reply #59 on: 25 May 2008, 08:43 pm »
Ummm...I'll pass.   :lol: 

I would be very careful messing about and applying the stuff as it would be a royal pain to remove if one ever wanted/needed to.  I would be very worried about applying it to any component that heats up, as it would certainly hinder said components ability to dissipate heat.  Or, if one were to slather it all about on a PCB (as a couple of the pictures showed), it would effectively make that board a "throw away" as you would almost certainly not be able to remove enough of it to desolder/remove/resolder a new component piece.

I'm open minded about tweaks, as evidenced by the fact that my whole business revolves around crazy cryo'd stuff, but I'm pretty leery of irreversible, experimental, (at best) tweaks like these. 

If one was determined to try it, I would start with putting it on the metal casework, as that probably won't harm anything, unless the stuff becomes liquid if heated (there is heat inside of virtually any piece of gear you own) and it drips everywhere.  However, I am not endorsing nor recommending that someone does that.  Now I KNOW you'll have to try it, Dan!    :green:

Lee

I have some of that in the garage.  Hmmm...

Open up something (expensive) and slather it own for the "team." It could be the "tweak" of the year! Seriously, what effect on electronics could this stuff have? Would it hurt to dampen the electronics...or at least the case lid? The Altman Dac guy uses a special C37 varnish on Dac chips and claims it works wonders? Here are some links on the subject for and against:

http://www.ennemoser.com/c37theory.html
http://sound.westhost.com/madashell9.htm

I'm sorry did I miss a question somewhere?