Windows XP Service Pack 3

Levi

Windows XP Service Pack 3
« on: 7 May 2008, 12:58 am »
This maybe the last update for Windows XP.  I just installed it.  So far so good.

-Levi

OOps.  This should be moved to magnetic core.  :green:

Wind Chaser

Re: Windows XP Service Pack 3
« Reply #1 on: 7 May 2008, 01:06 am »
What issues is it supposed to address?

Levi

« Reply #2 on: 7 May 2008, 01:38 am »
It is more of an updated network security. 

Here is an overview from Microsoft.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=68c48dad-bc34-40be-8d85-6bb4f56f5110&displaylang=en

tonyptony

« Reply #3 on: 7 May 2008, 11:32 pm »
How could it be only 97KB? Is it one of those on-line only upgrades?

bacobits1

« Reply #4 on: 8 May 2008, 12:28 am »
That's the Overview file. I had to search for it too. PIA Microsloth.
The file is something like 64MB and it took my 29 minutes DL and install through update.
Actually that is the only way I found it. SO far running OK.
Taking a chance with any updates so backup first before any install. 

D

mgalusha

« Reply #5 on: 8 May 2008, 12:30 am »

Don_S

« Reply #6 on: 8 May 2008, 01:48 am »
I just installed it and everything is working fine.

Levi

« Reply #7 on: 8 May 2008, 01:50 am »
Congrats!  You are now ready to face the future.  This is the last update for Win XP.

WGH

« Reply #8 on: 8 May 2008, 02:10 am »
The full stand alone version can be had here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=5B33B5A8-5E76-401F-BE08-1E1555D4F3D4&displaylang=en

All 316 megs of it...

You can also use the full version to make a slipstreamed version of XP, that way whenever you do a re-install all the updates are included.

Levi

« Reply #9 on: 8 May 2008, 02:24 am »
There are so many ways in obtaining SP3.

The easiest way to get XP SP3 is to run Windows Update.

I used WSUS to update all XP computers in my network :)

gstraley

« Reply #10 on: 8 May 2008, 06:35 pm »
Help!  I read this post and downloaded the service pack 3 on my computer. After reading this post I started installing service pack 3 before going to bed last night. It was taking forever to download it. I ended up walking away after 40 minutes and going to bed. It was still telling me that it was only 50% completed. It was already way past my bed time and I needed to get up early this morning. Figuring that in the morning I would wake up and finish installing it. When I woke up this morning I could tell that it was tried to restart itself. Now it will try and launch XP but will not start. It goes back to the beginning where you can access the DOS menu. Any ideas on how to fix it?
   I have had to use a friends computer to write this. He told me that the only real thing that the service pack 3 does is fix some networking issues. This computer was never hooked up to a network. So unless he is wrong and you are not hooked up to a network beware that it may make your computer useless like it has done to mine.
  If anyone knows how to fix it I would appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Gregg

Levi

« Reply #11 on: 8 May 2008, 06:48 pm »
Sorry to hear you are having problems with your computer. 

Please read the overview link on the first page as this will tell you what Service pack 3 is all about.

Now to fix your computer, you can call up microsoft support.  They will walk you through in fixing your OS.  As a courtesy, MS offers free support for problems with their service packs.  Make sure you have the original Windows XP CD available if it is not in one of your partition.

-Levi

WGH

« Reply #12 on: 8 May 2008, 08:47 pm »
Now it will try and launch XP but will not start. It goes back to the beginning where you can access the DOS menu. Any ideas on how to fix it?

What do you mean by DOS menu?

1.) Blinking cursor, Windows does not boot at all?

or

2.) Safe Mode Boot Options

If you get #2 can you:

Start in Safe Mode?

or pick Last Known Good Configuration and see what happens.

richidoo

« Reply #13 on: 8 May 2008, 09:00 pm »
Use system restore to rollback to yesterday, or uninstall SP3 using Control Panel. You will need Safe mode to do either.  Access Safe Mode by hitting F8 during boot, right after the POST, immediately before you see the first Windows message. Choose Safe Mode without networking, do the system restore then reboot. If system restore doesn't work or not available, go back in through safe mode and uninstall SP3.

SP always saves the previous system before overwriting it. You restore the old system by doing an uninstall using the "Add or Remove Programs" applet from the Control Panel menu.

SP3 will fix more than just networking issues. A service pack is basically a completely new OS. It overwrites just about everything. Bugs from all over the OS are fixed and packaged in the SP. It contains thousands of files. I couldn't believe how big this one is when Mike mentioned the size. Zowee!

Gregg, you would probably have better luck getting the CD-ROM version and installing it in one sweep, without the downloading delays and potential screw ups. They can send it to you for free.
Good luck!
Rich

WGH

« Reply #14 on: 10 May 2008, 12:07 am »
gstraley's problems are an example of what can happen when you decide to be on the bleeding edge of OS updates. Most professionals wait at least a week, usually two before jumping in with both feet, and even then, only with an recent image of the drive as a backup.

Since everyone with a PC will eventually get this upgrade, here are a few things you should know:

FAQ: What you should know before installing Windows XP SP3 

Does your AMD-based computer boot after installing XP SP3?

Wayne

Don_S

« Reply #15 on: 10 May 2008, 12:26 am »

Me and my big mouth.  I did not realize it right away since I usually turn on my computer and then go do something else while it boots up.  But since installing SP3 my computer takes several minutes longer to boot up.  Sometimes 5-6 minutes.

I have NOT installed any other software recently either prior to or after installing SP3.  I ran Norton systemWorks scan and fixed some registry and other errors but that did not seem to help.

Thank you Mr. G.

WGH

« Reply #16 on: 10 May 2008, 01:05 am »
Me and my big mouth.  I did not realize it right away since I usually turn on my computer and then go do something else while it boots up.  But since installing SP3 my computer takes several minutes longer to boot up.  Sometimes 5-6 minutes.

I have NOT installed any other software recently either prior to or after installing SP3.  I ran Norton systemWorks scan and fixed some registry and other errors but that did not seem to help.

Thank you Mr. G.

You're lucky your computer booted after running the the SystemWorks fixer.

How much stuff so you have in your "startup" folder? Remove anything that is not necessary.
Then click on the "Start" button
Click on Run...
Type in msconfig
Click the Startup tab
Un-check the extra stuff you don't need starting, Google the names you don't understand.

How much time do you have left on your anti-virus subscription? If you uninstall Norton SystemWorks your computer will boot much faster and just be faster overall. It was a happy day when I finally ripped all Norton products out of my computers, and their uninstall routines do not get all of it (LiveUpdate is always left behind), so if you decide to got this route do a search for the most recent Norton Removal Tool

Nod32 is a much better antivirus tool, I use ZoneAlarm Pro as a firewall but there are some new kids on the block that Scott Finnie likes.
Tall Emu’s Online Armor 2.1 is The Scot’s Newsletter Blog Best Firewall Software of 2008

WGH

« Reply #17 on: 21 May 2008, 03:13 pm »
I installed the SP3 last Saturday with no problems.  For those who haven't installed the update yet, here is another XP SP3 glitch to be aware of:

Windows XP SP3 Chokes On ISP Versions Of Internet Explorer 7

Specifically, XP3 runs a version of an essential dynamic-link library file called XMLLite.dll that's not compatible with versions of IE7 released prior to October.

Private label versions of Microsoft's Internet Explorer 7 browser, including those provided to customers by Internet Service Providers Comcast and Qwest, are prone to crash during installation on computers running Windows XP SP3 because they tend to be outdated, Microsoft is warning.

The problem generally occurs when a so-called "branded" version of IE7 is installed for the first time on a computer that's running XP SP3, said Microsoft program manager Jane Maliouta, in a blog post.

"The reason is that the IE7 package you are trying to install uses old IE7 files," said Maliouta.

The trouble? Some ISPs are still distributing versions of IE7 that don't contain updates designed to make the browser compatible with Windows XP SP3. Specifically, XP3 runs a version of an essential dynamic-link library file called XMLLite.dll that's not compatible with versions of IE7 released prior to October.

Levi

« Reply #18 on: 21 May 2008, 03:39 pm »
Good info WGH!

Another Good news!

I successfully uninstalled Windows XP SP3 on my test machine by simply using add/remove programs.

No glitches after removal.  You mileage may vary.

-Levi

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #19 on: 21 May 2008, 03:45 pm »
I installed SP3 on my Toshiba laptop and the only glich I have is that when I have my external drive plugged in, with my FLAC library, the laptop will not boot up. I have to boot up and then plug in the USB cable for the drive. A small, but annoying, problem.