Antique Talking Machine.

SET Man

Antique Talking Machine.
« on: 24 Apr 2008, 02:15 am »
Hey!

I’m sure that some of you here know that I recently pick up one of these lovely old machine and for some of NY Ravers have met and heard it.  :D

Well, it had been a few months now and I have been enjoying it every time I put on an old record on it. It is a wonderful machine. So, with that I would like now to formally introduce you to my Victor “Type E” outside horn talking machine....

This machine was made in 1902 at the dawn of the last Century and at the dawn of the sound recording. It is literally your stereo early ancestor!  8)

It is an outside horn phonograph Victor “Type E” made by Victor Talking Machine Co. in 1902 in Camden, NJ.  :D

Above: Look! Even the famous Chris/lonewolfny42 posed next to it! :lol: Yes, that's me and Chris at last year December Christmas Rave at Phil's.  Sorry Chris you can't lean on this horn. :lol: (Photo courtesy of Levi for NYAR)

I’m sure some of you might ask the question of why would anyone want to have this old machine? Well, I will tell you my personal story. First off I have to tell you that personally have a great appreciation for history and antique in general not just in audio.  :D

It started back when I was about  14 or so when I got interested in audio thanks to my late uncle. That was in early ‘90. But I’ve always fascinated by the history of things so I like to learn more. Fortunately I live in a great city, New York City where there are couple of flea markets during weekend of which I like to visit sometime. And back than there was a store called “Wave” in this building in Chelsea where it full of antique store. This store Wave specialized in old phonograph, old radio and TV set. I remembered the first time I walked in that store it was like heaven to me to see these old audio antique. And that was the first time I saw these old machine in person. I went back there sometime and had a nice chat with the store owner. Sadly I couldn’t afford this back than.  :( BTW... I spoke to a guy who is a collector and he said the Wave store is still around but at a new location. I should stop by there sometime. :D

Than since the late ‘90s I got heavily into audio and that was something I spend my money on trying to improve it. So, I pretty much forgotten about these lovely old talking machine.  :icon_lol: Than about two years ago I think I have reach the point with my stereo system that I no longer feel that I need to spend or DIYing trying improve it. I am happy. So, I started thinking about my other long forgotten dream again.... the talking machine.  :wink:

So, last year I started to search for a nice machine. I spend time on eBay looking for a nice one. And late last year I found this lovely machine in excellent working condition. And since I usually buy myself a present for my birthday in September and I’ve not done so yet by the time I found this lovely machine. I went for it!  :D

I remembered when I got it out of the box .... unfortunately the UPS guy was a bit rough with the box and one of the wood seam of the top board split but it was an easy fix.  :evil: Anyway, when I assembled it, crank it up and put on a small 100+ years old record that the seller included with this machine... it was like a dream come true!  :P Finally, after many years of wanting one now I’ve got one! It was an amazing feeling for me! I think I now know how the first original owner felt when he or she bought it home and put a record on it for the first time over a 100 year ago. :inlove:

So, that‘s how I came about owning this lovely talking machine. I will write more in the next installment. Next time.... Part II I will get into the history, technical side and maybe the sound of this lovely machine.  :D

If anyone here have one of these lovely old talking machine, Victor, Edison, Columbia and etc. Please share it with me here. I would love to see and hear the story. :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

PS

There is no antique circle so I guess Vintage Circle will do.  :D

Russell Dawkins

Re: Antique Talking Machine.
« Reply #1 on: 24 Apr 2008, 02:24 am »
Very cool. I love the look of those things, and it amazes me how loud they can play.

By the way, Nimbus (now out of business) put out some CDs of old acoustic recordings played back on a very high quality acoustic gramophone with a horn having a 6 foot wide mouth and recorded that through high quality modern microphones, rather than doing the usual of playing the discs on a modern turntable and cartridge.

SET Man

« Reply #2 on: 24 Apr 2008, 03:28 am »
Very cool. I love the look of those things, and it amazes me how loud they can play.

By the way, Nimbus (now out of business) put out some CDs of old acoustic recordings played back on a very high quality acoustic gramophone with a horn having a 6 foot wide mouth and recorded that through high quality modern microphones, rather than doing the usual of playing the discs on a modern turntable and cartridge.

Hey!

Russell, thanks for the info on the CDs. I wonder if I could get one  :scratch:

Any more info on these CDs?

I think playing those acoustic recording discs the way they were meant to be play when they first came out is a brilliant idea! :D With big 6 foot wide horn mouth that should be be able to reproduce most if not all the octaves range especially lower frequency on those old disc :D

BTW... the steel and brass horn on my Victor is about 12" wide at the mouth. :D

Take care,

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #3 on: 24 Apr 2008, 05:53 am »
Hey, Buddy!

The recordings made this way are called Prima Voce and are still available. See below.

You'd be interested in these links:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nimbus_Records   (general story of Nimbus)
http://www.wyastone.co.uk/nrl/pv_transfer.html  (shows the horn - 18ft long!)
http://www.wyastone.co.uk/nrl/pv_intro.html  (a selection of recordings made this way)

SET Man

« Reply #4 on: 24 Apr 2008, 09:50 pm »
Hey, Buddy!

The recordings made this way are called Prima Voce and are still available. See below.

You'd be interested in these links:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nimbus_Records   (general story of Nimbus)
http://www.wyastone.co.uk/nrl/pv_transfer.html  (shows the horn - 18ft long!)
http://www.wyastone.co.uk/nrl/pv_intro.html  (a selection of recordings made this way)

Hey!

Russell, this is fantastic! :D

I have to give Nimbus a big applaud for their effort on this. That big horn they use is amazing. Yes, it true that this is nothing new. I haven't read all of it yet but so far I'm amazed that they would go through all of these trouble.

I'm surprised that they are using thorn to play back those disc. This is nothing new. Cactus thorns and bamboo have been use to as needle since the beginning. Anyway, I will get into this on my next installment on my Talking Machine thread.

Sadly, I don't think I can afford those CDs right now. But! The other plus side on this is that. I checked out the list and found that it is very useful for me for dating the old record if I ever run into one. And I'm glad to see that I actually do have a copy of the disc they use. For example Enrico Caruso sings Verdi's Rigoletto "La Donna e Mobile" on Victor's Red Label 87017. I have the exact copy of this! And it is one of my favorite classical piece too! :D I will see if I have more copies that day use.

Thanks Russell for this interesting and valuable links. :D

Take care,

SET Man

« Reply #5 on: 15 Dec 2011, 04:19 am »
Hey!

Hmmm.... look like I've never around to update this post. But I was reading an article on Yahoo's Tech section about Alexander Graham Bell's recording, yes the guy who bought us the telephone....

http://news.yahoo.com/alexander-graham-bell-recordings-played-1880s-210138693.html

And that reminded me of my post here. So, since it is related I will post it here.

I find it is pretty amazing that they use the latest in digital technology to playback and preserve these recordings. Man! Check out those glass discs.  :o  Pretty amazing they they survived all these years.

Anyway, a little bit update on my machine. Well, not long after I first post this threat, one of the two springs in my machine gave out and broke after 106 years :lol: Luckily there are people who are specialize in fixing these old machines. If I remembered correctly with shippings it cost me about $350. With new springs and an overhaul look like it will be spinning records for another 100 years or so. :D And I managed to change the gaskets and alignment on the reproducer or aka the soundbox, it sounds better now. :D

Also, I have accumulate a few more old 78s. I still play it sometime... talk about the workout winding it and getting up to change the disc after each song :lol:

BTW.... I do have a few videos on Youtube of my machine playing....

http://www.youtube.com/user/SETman007?blend=4&ob=5

I will post more when I have time. It is not the same watching it on youtube. Hearing it in person is totally different, Caruso's can easily reach 90dB on these old shellac discs :o

Take care,

milford3

« Reply #6 on: 15 Dec 2011, 04:26 am »
Wow!!!  I love it.

Mikeinsacramento

« Reply #7 on: 20 Dec 2011, 06:32 pm »
My inheritance.

Last year I re-built this.  Grill, which was missing, is not original.  The cloth is washed out in the pic.  It is a light tan color.

SET Man

« Reply #8 on: 21 Dec 2011, 03:18 am »
My inheritance.

Last year I re-built this.  Grill, which was missing, is not original.  The cloth is washed out in the pic.  It is a light tan color.

Hey!

Finally! Someone here with talking machine! What machine is this one? :D

Thanks for sharing your machine. :D

Take care,

Mikeinsacramento

« Reply #9 on: 21 Dec 2011, 03:32 am »
What machine is this one? :D

Edison Model H19. 

SET Man

« Reply #10 on: 21 Dec 2011, 04:31 am »
Edison Model H19.

Hey!

I see... a vertically cut Diamond Disc machine. :D I've never heard one in person but would love to someday :D

Pretty cool.  8)

Take care,

Old timer

« Reply #11 on: 15 Jan 2012, 06:25 pm »
I own a 1926 Victor Electrola. It was/is the first motorized and amplified Victrola made. Model number 10-25. It stands around 65" tall, is around 40" wide and is probably around 20" deep. Weight around 350 pounds? Beautiful carved wood everywhere.

Steve at the Old Technology on Hwy99 North of Seattle told me that it sold new for $750.

I've looked all over the Internet, but haven't found much info on this model. Do you have any ideas?

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #12 on: 15 Jan 2012, 11:50 pm »
WHEW!  When I saw the subject line I thought it was a thread about my mother-in-law!   

Rclark

« Reply #13 on: 15 Jan 2012, 11:58 pm »

Hey guys I have a 1970's Packard Bell console stereo with tuner, record player, needs to get serviced cause it won't turn on now but I called them and they said probably $100 to get it up and running again.

It's pretty big, it's very old fashioned looking, but it was my first real system as I had my cdp and computer wired into the rca inputs. The tweeters are these enormous metal horns.

Is it worth anything or should I drag it out to the dumpster? It has been taking up a lot of space.

SET Man

« Reply #14 on: 16 Jan 2012, 03:58 am »
WHEW!  When I saw the subject line I thought it was a thread about my mother-in-law!

Hey!

That's a good one! :lol: She must be one cranky old lady, just don't get her all wound up than. :lol:

Take care,

SET Man

« Reply #15 on: 16 Jan 2012, 04:12 am »
Hey guys I have a 1970's Packard Bell console stereo with tuner, record player, needs to get serviced cause it won't turn on now but I called them and they said probably $100 to get it up and running again.

It's pretty big, it's very old fashioned looking, but it was my first real system as I had my cdp and computer wired into the rca inputs. The tweeters are these enormous metal horns.

Is it worth anything or should I drag it out to the dumpster? It has been taking up a lot of space.

Hey!

Well, I can't really answer that. If it is a tubed console than the amp inside might be worth something and it will be a plus if those speaker have Alnico magnet also. Some old tubed amps from console like those from RCA and Magnavox are pretty good.

I'm pretty sure someone here might know what you have. A picture of the unit will be helpful and post up a new post about it. :D

Take care,

SET Man

« Reply #16 on: 16 Jan 2012, 04:27 am »
I own a 1926 Victor Electrola. It was/is the first motorized and amplified Victrola made. Model number 10-25. It stands around 65" tall, is around 40" wide and is probably around 20" deep. Weight around 350 pounds? Beautiful carved wood everywhere.

Steve at the Old Technology on Hwy99 North of Seattle told me that it sold new for $750.

I've looked all over the Internet, but haven't found much info on this model. Do you have any ideas?

Hey!

Hmmm... another Victor Talking Machine owner! :D

Sound like you have a later and very large machine there. Strangely I look through the book about Victor Talking Machine and I don't see model 10-25 listed in it! There is a 10-35 but not 10-25.

Also, here is a good site with lots of info on Victor Machines...

http://www.victor-victrola.com/

And yet, I don't see 10-25 there. Do you have picture of your machine? I would love to see it. Maybe you have a very limited or custom made machine or something. Yes, those machine can be very expensive back than, $750 was a lot of money back than.

BTW... dose your machine still work?

Take care,

mhconley

« Reply #17 on: 16 Jan 2012, 04:46 am »
Very cool...  Reminds me that just before the holidays my son's Cub Scout den toured the Edison & Ford Winter Estates in Ft. Myers.  They had an extensive display of talking machines (obviously) and demonstrated several for the group.

Martin

Old timer

« Reply #18 on: 18 Jan 2012, 03:45 pm »
SET Man: That's my issue, ... Lots of info on the 10-35 and smaller models, but nothing on the 10-25. It was origianally purchased by the Spokane Diocease, for the Jesuit Retreat Cabin located on Deer Lake (?), north of Spokane, WA.

It played when I got it in 1993, but it is now disassembled to replace a singing power supply cap. (It has a nice humm) I'll try to get a photo.

SET Man

« Reply #19 on: 19 Jan 2012, 12:08 am »
SET Man: That's my issue, ... Lots of info on the 10-35 and smaller models, but nothing on the 10-25. It was origianally purchased by the Spokane Diocease, for the Jesuit Retreat Cabin located on Deer Lake (?), north of Spokane, WA.

It played when I got it in 1993, but it is now disassembled to replace a singing power supply cap. (It has a nice humm) I'll try to get a photo.

Hey!

Hmmmm.... you are right, no data on 10-25 at all.  :scratch:

You know, since it was purchased by the Spokane Diocese of which I'm pretty sure they want something especial and larger. So, it is possible that what you have there is a one of a kind custom made piece. The book about Victor dose show a few custom made machines and some are very big. Dose your have a built in radio with the 78 phonograph?

If that is really one of a kind machine than you have something very special there. And I'm happy to see that you are caring for it and getting it fix up  8)

Yes, I would love to see picture of it. :D

Take care,