Once (sometimes twice) every couple of days I get the spinning pinwheel of death

Double Ugly

So far so good with Safari? No SSBOD?

No SSBOD yet, though I'm back to using Firefox when accessing Audio Circle.

Safari seemed fine until I wanted to post.  When I hit "Preview" to review the post before making it public, I could see only one line of the previewed post at a time.  To review the entire post, I was forced to scroll line by line, one at a time.  :scratch:

After experiencing the same on 3 consecutive visits to AC, I switched back to Firefox.  Hopefully the offending script (assuming that's the problem) isn't anywhere to be found on this site.  :o

Crimson

Very weird.

I
posted
this
in
Safari
and
have
the
same
problem.

Hmmmmmmmm..............

Paging JohnR!

mcullinan

I just tested that and I get 1 line in Safari also. I think Safari is less than compliant at times. Each browser seems to have its own characteristics, like people. Some do some things better than others. They should all be equal though. I hope your computer is running a little better Double!
Mike

Try This--->
A fix that has worked for various other Safari 3.1 issues has also proven successful for this problem: changing the user agent. To do this, you first need to enable the develop menu. Go to the "Safari" menu, then "Preferences," then "Advanced" and select "Show Develop menu in menu bar." The Develop menu will appear in the menubar. Select in, then navigate down to the "User Agent" section of this menu and note the various browsers available as user agents.

Select 'Internet Explorer 7.0.

That should fix your single line problem.
M

Double Ugly

I hope your computer is running a little better Double!

So far, so good, Mikey.  :thumb:

Try This--->
A fix that has worked for various other Safari 3.1 issues has also proven successful for this problem: changing the user agent. To do this, you first need to enable the develop menu. Go to the "Safari" menu, then "Preferences," then "Advanced" and select "Show Develop menu in menu bar." The Develop menu will appear in the menubar. Select in, then navigate down to the "User Agent" section of this menu and note the various browsers available as user agents.

Select 'Internet Explorer 7.0.

That should fix your single line problem.

Okey-dokey.   :scratch:

Before I do this, is there any chance that in fixing the single-line problem, I screw something else up?

Strange thing is, I think JohnR's a Mac guy, too.  If so, maybe he never noticed because he uses Firefox like most everyone else.  :lol:

Double Ugly

Oh yeah, I forgot to tell ya, Crimson - the TC finally arrived!   :beer: :bounce:

I haven't had a chance to do anything with it yet, though.  Maybe tomorrow, but more likely later in the week.

Things are a little hectic 'round my house.  :wink:

nathanm

If it makes you feel any better Double Ugly, all the Macs I touch are in a similar states of spinning beachballness at different times. The thing that drives me really nuts lately is when Force Quit doesn't work.  It really ruins the meaning of those words.  Force Quit should be an absolute, not a maybe.  The only command the computer truly understands is when you pull its power cord.  That always works.  The real loss on the modern Mac is the loss of the Reset button.  We NEED that back!

JohnR

JOERN UTZON gave Sydney not only the greatest building of the 20th century but one unique in all history. Its plastic yet classic forms confounded his competitors, who entered designs based on their idolatry of the steel beam and the box-like structures which grew, Meccano-like, from their drawing boards.

JohnR

Utzon was striving not only for function leading to form, he was also possessed of the location. More than any of his contemporaries, he wanted his building to sit in contextual harmony. Utzon's design was not simply that of a building or, in his case, three buildings.

JohnR

I set user agent to Firefox 2.0.12 and it seems OK.

I'll poke around and see if there's some browser detection funnies going on.

JohnR

Rather, it was a composition in landscape for a site surrounded by water on three sides with the fourth providing a green forecourt when viewed from the east and a wonderment in an urban setting when viewed from the west. Utzon made clear with his smaller shell structure at the south, sitting atop its chamfered podium, that he meant his composition to taper out into the flatness which is the Opera House forecourt. That is, to taper to infinity.

JohnR

Urm... well, I put in an evil hack - the code now thinks that Safari is always Firefox... let me know if this causes other problems...

This is, of course, something a responsible web programmer should never do.

Double Ugly

Urm... well, I put in an evil hack - the code now thinks that Safari is always Firefox... let me know if this causes other problems...

This is, of course, something a responsible web programmer should never do.

'Course not.  :wink:

It's working for me now, too.  Thanks, John.  :thumb:

Crimson

Way to go DU!

The longest thread to-date in this young circle. Can't wait for your next problem.  :green:

So I assume all is well so far?

Double Ugly

Way to go DU!

Thanks.  :thumb:

The longest thread to-date in this young circle. Can't wait for your next problem.  :green:

Uh... thanks?  :?
j/k... I know what you mean.  :wink:

So I assume all is well so far?

So far, but I'll feel better about it if I make it through the weekend w/o incident. 

Not that doing so is a definitive sign.  I've gone weeks without a hiccup, which makes me (again) believe it has something to do with a script/Firefox disconnect.  A sports site I frequent allows a lot of pictures, .gifs, etc. in folks' signatures, and I wonder if one of the associated scripts (or one associated with the site itself) isn't the problem.

Regardless, I'll feel a *LOT* better once I have the TC up and running.  Having a back-up is a novel concept for me, but one I think will find a permanent place in this and future computer systems.

Thanks again everyone for your assistance.  I don't know of another place on the web where so diverse a group can come together and co-exist so well (relatively speaking :wink:).  The response to my problem was tremendous, and whether it's resolved or not, you've all met my expectations and then some, and I am most appreciative.  :bowdown:

Crimson

DU,

Any updates? Just an FYI, Firefox released a new update a few days ago which I installed. So far, it seems to have fixed my non-response issue.

Double Ugly

DU,

Any updates?

None particularly useful.  The firmware v88 thread I found on the SD forum had this entry yesterday -
The answer I received a few days ago was:

"The fix I provided works with SB, TR and SBR, but needs
to be verified by our QA team first and if they approve it,
it is planned to include new firmware into the next bug fix
release which would be 7.0.1.

And to answer your next question, no, I have no
information about when 7.0.1 will be released. Sorry."

So, we just have to wait

Mvh

So I guess I'll wait.  :(

Just an FYI, Firefox released a new update a few days ago which I installed. So far, it seems to have fixed my non-response issue.

Since our discussion, I've only accessed Firefox to find bookmarks, and I've used Safari exclusively for surfing.  Not a single one-finger salute incident since making the switch to Safari. 

Do you think it's safe to give Firefox another try?  I much prefer it, but I do not like forcibly shutting down the computer.

Crimson

Do you think it's safe to give Firefox another try?  I much prefer it, but I do not like forcibly shutting down the computer.

Download the latest Firefox update and give it a go. I'm curious.

Double Ugly

Okey-doke.  I'll take it for a spin, but if Firefox is the culprit, I'd feel a lot better about trying 3.0.  I didn't see anything related to the problem I've experienced in the 2.0.0.13 release notes.

Irrespective of my problems, I've been looking forward to 3.0's advancements for a long time.  Seems like it's been in beta testing forever.  :?

Double Ugly

The spinning pinwheel of death returns
« Reply #58 on: 8 Apr 2008, 04:53 pm »

Another forced reboot, Crimson.  I was perusing the Rivals site where the problem usually manifests itself, and sure 'nuff, the spinning pinwheel/ beach ball of death made an appearance.

I'd visited several times since downloading the latest version, but I guess I didn't encounter the right script, combination of scripts or whatever triggers the problem.

Back to Safari.

Crimson

Re: The spinning pinwheel of death returns
« Reply #59 on: 8 Apr 2008, 05:29 pm »

Another forced reboot, Crimson.  I was perusing the Rivals site where the problem usually manifests itself, and sure 'nuff, the spinning pinwheel/ beach ball of death made an appearance.

I'd visited several times since downloading the latest version, but I guess I didn't encounter the right script, combination of scripts or whatever triggers the problem.

Back to Safari.

Oh well. That's a shame. Like I mentioned earlier, the latest version seems to have fixed the issue I was having with it.