jostber

Re: Acoustic System Resonators?
« Reply #20 on: 15 Dec 2011, 05:49 pm »

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #21 on: 15 Dec 2011, 06:00 pm »
You can even use it in the car:

http://populnks.com/view/autos/HiFi_Unlimited_NVH_Reduction_for_your_car_Acoustic_System_Int/10414964

I kind of wondered why the sound changes in my car when I open the ash trap.  :duh: :lol: :lol:

milford3

« Reply #22 on: 15 Dec 2011, 06:05 pm »
It never ceases to amaze me what audiophiles will spend their money on.   :scratch:

blutto

« Reply #23 on: 15 Dec 2011, 07:14 pm »
Hi all,

I hope more of those who have tried the ASR will come forward and give at least a brief impression.  The concepts and logic behind it are esoteric to say the least.  What gives something merit or lack of it is the end result.  I hope to be able to get my hands on at least one of these ASR to confirm either way.  Brian at Xtreme cables is offering this with a 30 day money back guarantee at the moment.  I will report back after I get to try one out.

Gregg: thanks much for your contribution.

Kenobi

....my impressions of the ASI system are more less the same as Gregg's ...and yeah it makes no sense in terms of established scientific principles but it really really works....and has a very high WAF...short of a studio grade install done by real practioners of the acoustic black arts ( and which will cost you $100,000 plus ) this is the best system out there...

Cheers

blutto

blutto

« Reply #24 on: 15 Dec 2011, 07:18 pm »
....my impressions of the ASI system are more less the same as Gregg's ...and yeah it makes no sense in terms of established scientific principles but it really really works....and has a very high WAF...short of a studio grade install done by real practioners of the acoustic black arts ( and which will cost you $100,000 plus ) this is the best system out there...

Cheers

blutto

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #25 on: 15 Dec 2011, 08:19 pm »

Cheers

blutto

I remember some time back there was a company that sold these empty boxes that made all kinds of claims. They had a few people running around saying kind of what you said about how much they cleaned up the room. Well Ethan Winer could see right though it and actually tested them in a room with and without treatment and to no surprise there was no difference. He actually (just to prove the point) put 2 trash cans in the corner filled full of junk and those actually (not much) showed a difference in a test. The bottom line is if you can not do a true blind a/b test (or shoot the room) then the mind will play games on you.
With all of that said it would be fun to see them do a video like the following (start the video around 3:30) that they could post online.  :D BTW you can take this one blind if you want.
http://www.gikacoustics.com/treated_video.html

jostber

« Reply #26 on: 18 Dec 2011, 06:15 pm »
It never ceases to amaze me what audiophiles will spend their money on.   :scratch:

Does that mean that the concept of resonators in a room is a failed one?

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #27 on: 18 Dec 2011, 07:03 pm »

Milford3,
So where did you hear them?  I ask cuz it sounds like a pretty strong opinion/assertion.  Franck Tchang's Liveline cables are amazing.  I attribute a lot of his success to his unique (some would say "left field") scientific perspective on metal combinations (recipe of various metals), isolating resonances, etc.  Although I've yet to hear his "bowls" I would not discount their effectiveness sight unseen (aka unheard).

Zero

« Reply #28 on: 18 Dec 2011, 09:16 pm »
What 'established scientific principles' are at odds here?  I see this as fairly straight-forward stuff.

When a soundwave travels through a room, it's going to come into contact with just about every object/surface in that space. Each object in that room will, to one degree or another, influence the acoustics of that space. Glass for example, will resonate the soundwave.  Heavy carpets and rugs will dampen it.  Different types of woods will have their own unique 'signature', and so on and so forth..    It's common sense stuff.

So having said that, why is it so difficult to embrace the notion that a product - one that is specifically designed to manipulate the acoustics of your space - could ever have an audible influence over the sound in that room?  Of course it should!  Hell, I've tuned dealer showrooms, audiophiles rooms, even my own room.. using household items.

Anyways, my friend is here and I gotta head out...  I'll finish the rest of this post later on. 

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #29 on: 19 Dec 2011, 05:01 pm »
What 'established scientific principles' are at odds here?  I see this as fairly straight-forward stuff.

When a soundwave travels through a room, it's going to come into contact with just about every object/surface in that space. Each object in that room will, to one degree or another, influence the acoustics of that space. Glass for example, will resonate the soundwave.  Heavy carpets and rugs will dampen it.  Different types of woods will have their own unique 'signature', and so on and so forth..    It's common sense stuff.

So having said that, why is it so difficult to embrace the notion that a product - one that is specifically designed to manipulate the acoustics of your space - could ever have an audible influence over the sound in that room?  Of course it should!  Hell, I've tuned dealer showrooms, audiophiles rooms, even my own room.. using household items.

Anyways, my friend is here and I gotta head out...  I'll finish the rest of this post later on.

If you think of the size of a low end frequency wave it becomes very apparent why a small "tea cup" would have no influence to any measurable or audible difference. It really is that simple.  :D 

jostber

« Reply #30 on: 19 Dec 2011, 05:32 pm »
And here's some look-a-likes:

http://www.synergisticresearch.com/acoustic-art/acoustic-art-system/

This system is less expensive, so how effective are these? Certainly looks quite artsy.

Zero

« Reply #31 on: 19 Dec 2011, 07:31 pm »
Glenn,

I’m not talking about tuning a three-semi truck long 18Hz soundwave.  I’m talking about something as simple, and as clearly audible as say… the human voice.

OK.  Let me try a different tact here...

If I sat your ass in a room and then hauled different objects into that room - it shouldn’t take long for you to notice a change in the room’s acoustics.  You won’t need a multi-thousand dollar stereo system or an assortment of professional measurement gear to ‘confirm’ that difference. The only tool/ constant variable that you’ll need is your own voice and your own ears.

In fact, here’s an idea! Why don’t you conduct a fun experiment sometime today? Find three or four glass bowls and then place them at key reflection points within your listening room.  Listen for awhile, and then remove them.  It’ll take minimal work and.., provided you already own some glass bowls... the experiment should be free to try!    (Tip: If you decide to go through with this experiment; start off by placing two bowls between your speakers - preferably as close to tweeter height as possible.  Then place the other two bowls along the side-wall reflection points.  That'll be a good starting point for this experiment.)

Anyways, back to the post at hand.  The point that I’m digging at here is… everything placed within a room will have an impact on that rooms acoustics, whether its glass, wood, carpet, GIK or REAL TRAP panels, or ASI Resonators.  Some items will obviously have more influence than others, but all will have some kind of impact – be it big or small.

As for the ASI Resonators…,  I think they’re pretty nifty products.  Expensive as hell, but then again, the materials they use aren’t exactly cheap.  I’ve heard em’ (granted, that was long ago and in a foreign room).  I heard the difference. It was good. And that’s enough for me. The cool thing about this stuff (whether its acoustic traps or tiny resonators) is that you can effectively use them in practically any room and with any type of sound system – aesthetics not withstanding.  Talk about products of great versatility! :D

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #32 on: 19 Dec 2011, 07:45 pm »
Male voice goes down into the 200's.  The length of a 200Hz wave is apprx 68 inches.  Even 5kHz is about 2.75 inches.  We're not talking smoke and mirrors here, we're talking pure physics.  The ONLY thing those are going to do is resonate at their own frequency and harmonics of such.  Now, if that 'adding' of the resonance presents something that's pleasing to listen to for some, go for it.  But saying that the bass is cleaner and things image better just don't make sense. Sorry.

Any wave larger than say double the diameter of the unit are going to go right around it like it's not even there.  As I said, the waves may cause it to resonate, but it can only do so at it's own fudamental and harmonic frequencies.

While I certainly agree that there are things in audio that do make a difference that we can't measure or explain why, IMO, this one is pretty obvious.

Bryan

jostber

« Reply #33 on: 19 Dec 2011, 07:58 pm »
We need an independent listening test. :D

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #34 on: 20 Dec 2011, 11:26 am »
We need an independent listening test. :D

How about a independent blind test? :D Actually if someone has a couple of them I would be more then happy to test a room with and without them. Also I could record music with and without them in the room and post them for people to guess which is which.

In fact, here’s an idea! Why don’t you conduct a fun experiment sometime today? Find three or four glass bowls and then place them at key reflection points within your listening room.  Listen for awhile, and then remove them.  It’ll take minimal work and.., provided you already own some glass bowls... the experiment should be free to try!    (Tip: If you decide to go through with this experiment; start off by placing two bowls between your speakers - preferably as close to tweeter height as possible.  Then place the other two bowls along the side-wall reflection points.  That'll be a good starting point for this experiment.)

If the bowls where really large and in the reflection point you would see it on the test graph. Hearing it though might be something else. Would be fun to try though.
On that note, I do agree that anytime you do put something in a room it would have some kind of difference, but as Bryan points out it depends on what that difference really is. For something really small it would only effect the frequencies dogs could hear.  :D

jostber

« Reply #35 on: 20 Dec 2011, 01:04 pm »
Maybe something like the XTZ Room Analyzer II could be use to analyze the room with and without the resonators to verify if there is or is not any effects?

http://www.xtz.se/uk/products/measurement-system/room-analyzer-ii

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #36 on: 20 Dec 2011, 01:23 pm »
Maybe something like the XTZ Room Analyzer II could be use to analyze the room with and without the resonators to verify if there is or is not any effects?

http://www.xtz.se/uk/products/measurement-system/room-analyzer-ii

Am I reading this right off there page?
Shows the frequency response in one place, with 1/3 octave resolution.
You need it much more fine then that. You can download REW for free and that gives you more then everything you need.
http://www.hometheatershack.com/roomeq/
Also, I am in the progress right now (I can hear them pounding nails next to my office :evil: :evil:) building a test room for us. Someone posted in another thread about the Dayton Audio, Omnimic system, which I have but was not totally impressed with it. I though am going to try it out again to see if I can get better results with it. It really is nice as you can just pretty much plug and play right into a laptop.  :) I will let you know how that goes

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #37 on: 20 Dec 2011, 01:28 pm »
I though am going to try it out again to see if I can get better results with it. It really is nice as you can just pretty much plug and play right into a laptop.  :) I will let you know how that goes
Can you start a new thread on this?  Also, will you be testing your products only or will you be doing outside work too?

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #38 on: 20 Dec 2011, 03:29 pm »
Can you start a new thread on this?  Also, will you be testing your products only or will you be doing outside work too?

Pretty much newer product ideas. Also we are going to try to do eduction videos and so on in the room.
Yes I will start a thread once I do the test. I may post it in the GIK audiocircle area though.

jostber

« Reply #39 on: 20 Dec 2011, 06:19 pm »
Am I reading this right off there page?You need it much more fine then that. You can download REW for free and that gives you more then everything you need.
http://www.hometheatershack.com/roomeq/

That's fine if it just get us closer to the thruth.  :thumb: