Acoustic System Resonators?

JohnR

Re: Acoustic System Resonators?
« Reply #60 on: 23 Jan 2012, 11:09 am »
Well, I'm sure you recognize also then that that is a leading question...

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #61 on: 23 Jan 2012, 11:50 am »
I have heard them.  Not in my room or in my system though.  Did they make a difference?  Very hard to tell in a foreign room and with a foreign system.  I did hear a change in tone but none of the changes in bottom end, improvement in imaging, that is claimed by some.  To me, it was an additive effect that was subtle at best - especially given the cost.

As I said before, if you like the effect, by all means, go for it.  I am just trying to keep reality in mind with what they can actually possibly do.

Bryan

Zero

« Reply #62 on: 23 Jan 2012, 11:57 am »
John,

You're right. In hindsight, I wish I would have worded my last question more carefully.  Oh well.  It nonetheless conveys the general problem that I have with some of the content in this thread.

Zero

« Reply #63 on: 23 Jan 2012, 12:11 pm »
Bryan,

Thanks for your tactful response.  Glad to know that I'm not the only one in the States that's posting on this board at 7 AM on a Monday morning..   Anyway, since I have zero reason to doubt your word, I'd like to thank you for sharing your impressions of the Resonators. Though I walked away with a bit more of a positive impression than yourself, I agree that one shouldn't expect a handful of these devices to perform miracles, particularly in the low frequency domain. Then again, if you find something that can perform miracles, lemme know!  :icon_lol:

Ethan Winer

• Industry Participant
  • Audio expert
    • RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
« Reply #64 on: 23 Jan 2012, 04:29 pm »
Do you think it's right when people (particularly competitive manufacturers) openly and publicly denounce a product that they haven't even heard/spent meaningful time with?

I hope you're not including me in that comment - all I did was propose various ways to test the claims.

--Ethan

jostber

« Reply #65 on: 23 Jan 2012, 04:54 pm »
From the Frank Tchang "Philosophy" page on his web site:

Air is the carrier of sound waves. If not hermetically sealed off by air locks, all the rooms, nooks, crannies and closets in a house including the refrigerator, oven and all furniture with doors communicate with each through the air. Traditional heavy damping can absorb excess acoustic energies. But such damping also tends to kill off the finest harmonics, dumbs down the performers' tone modulations and dries out harmonic textures. Overdamping further undermines the swing of free timing. If one addresses air disturbances directly (primary causes are the loudspeakers and how they interact with a room's geometry), the quality of sound propagating through the air improves automatically. This is a direct cause/effect result and our acoustic resonator technology strategically exploits it.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #66 on: 23 Jan 2012, 05:11 pm »
Bryan,

Thanks for your tactful response.  Glad to know that I'm not the only one in the States that's posting on this board at 7 AM on a Monday morning..   Anyway, since I have zero reason to doubt your word, I'd like to thank you for sharing your impressions of the Resonators. Though I walked away with a bit more of a positive impression than yourself, I agree that one shouldn't expect a handful of these devices to perform miracles, particularly in the low frequency domain. Then again, if you find something that can perform miracles, lemme know!  :icon_lol:

And I guess that was my point.  I hear people saying that these worked throughout the full range down into the bass.  That's what I take exception with. 

Bryan

Keremz

« Reply #67 on: 23 Jan 2012, 06:15 pm »
hi guys,

I have the Synergistic Research Acoustic Art system and to cut the long story short...

THEY WORK LIKE HELL

I had them for about 2.5 to 3 years now and once in a while I take them down to take it to my friends house for a demo etc....And once they are down I dont turn on my system till they are back. Once you get used to them you cannot go back.And why should you...everything sounds better with them

Any of my friends who have listen to them wheater they are into  hifi or not are always amazed when I give them a short demo.
Its as if a deaf person can hear the difference and this is a "good, positive" difference I am talking about

I think its money well spent because you can hear the difference in a big way

Trismos

« Reply #68 on: 23 Jan 2012, 07:53 pm »
From the Frank Tchang "Philosophy" page on his web site:

Air is the carrier of sound waves. If not hermetically sealed off by air locks, all the rooms, nooks, crannies and closets in a house including the refrigerator, oven and all furniture with doors communicate with each through the air. Traditional heavy damping can absorb excess acoustic energies. But such damping also tends to kill off the finest harmonics, dumbs down the performers' tone modulations and dries out harmonic textures. Overdamping further undermines the swing of free timing. If one addresses air disturbances directly (primary causes are the loudspeakers and how they interact with a room's geometry), the quality of sound propagating through the air improves automatically. This is a direct cause/effect result and our acoustic resonator technology strategically exploits it.

I don't even know where to begin to test the validity of this philosophy. I'm pretty sure my meager $6000.00 investment does not have the resolution, nor do my not so learned ears and brain have the years of qualitative and comparative experience in listening to different equipment in different environments to notice if the "swing of free timing" has been undermined (even though I'm a jazz drummer of 30 years). Yet the statement above quite explicitly states that these resonators are a better choice than absorption.

If this is truly the case, then, whereas GIK has that nifty little video showing the differences in a treated room verses a non-treated room, then these ASI resonators should also be able to show such a difference. That everyone hears.

Regards
Dave