Acoustic System Resonators?

Kenobi

Acoustic System Resonators?
« on: 18 Mar 2008, 08:19 pm »
Hello,

Has anyone tried the Acoustic System Resonators for room treatment?  Looks awefully small and seemingly on a different plane with how it works compared to traditional room treatments.  Certainly high in WAF but is it effective?  Impressions anyone?

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/francktchang/resonators.html
http://www.xtremecables.com/products.php?cat=41

Thanks,

Kenobi

mfsoa

Re: Acoustic System Resonators?
« Reply #1 on: 18 Mar 2008, 08:28 pm »
Well, since the $230 ones improve your system by 100-200%, and the $3000 ones also improve it by 100-200%, I know which one I'm going for! :roll:

Rob Babcock

• Facilitator
« Reply #2 on: 19 Mar 2008, 10:50 am »
My B.S. detector is going off!  No currently known acoustic principle could account for that, given their mass & construction. :scratch:

youngho

« Reply #3 on: 19 Mar 2008, 01:30 pm »
Well, one could imagine that they might have some marginal effect on walls when mounted between studs on walls not made of concrete.

I really enjoyed reading Srajan's review, particularly the sentences: "The resonators equalize air pressure differentials and can be installed in a fridge, mailbox or outside a room. Distance will not affect their efficaciousness. That's quite a fatal blow to common sense but there it is according to the maestro." Common sense simply does not apply when it comes to products like these, as we all know.

I sincerely hope the maker manufactures more in Hong Kong, since I'm already enjoying the benefits of air pressure differential equalization here on the other side of the world. So far, I've noticed a 153.9% improvement in the sound of my system since becoming aware about the Resonators. Make more, Frank! I can't wait to get to 187%!
« Last Edit: 19 Mar 2008, 01:43 pm by youngho »

mfsoa

« Reply #4 on: 19 Mar 2008, 01:52 pm »
I tried to make it through that really long review, and couldn't help myself but to pronounce Franck Tchang's last name as "TCH-Chang"

(Bad cash register pun)

-Mike

gstraley

« Reply #5 on: 19 Mar 2008, 02:50 pm »
These are one of the most interesting products that I have ever heard. We had them demonstrated at the November Chicago Audio Society Meeting. Were were getting really good sound considering that we were using my second systems pair of speakers. They are the Audio Physic Tempo III's. Not a bad speaker for a small to medium sized room. The big room that the meeting was held in usually requires bigger speakers to load the room.
   A good number of B.S. meters were going off with a lot of members. It really went off for a couple of guys. Especially when we were told how much money they cost and how many are required to treat a room properly. One guy even left at break time because he could not believe that we had over $7,500.00 worth of these resonators, phase correctors, sugar cubes and these discs. The claim is that you need approx. 11 of these resonators to fully treat a room. The sugar cubes are designed to put on things that you hear vibrate or ringing in your room like windows or heater ducts etc.
   After the break they removed all of the "cups" from their wood bases. Wow! what a huge difference. The soundstage became one dimensional without them. The bass was not as tight and dynamic. The instruments became more of a blur in the soundstage instead of being defined in space. The tonality even change for the worst. They then started putting one or two back at a time. You could keep hearing better and better improvements with every one. They have 5 different versions of these resonators. The basic which is mostly copper, silver, gold, special gold and platinum. The copper is now about $240.00. The silver about $500.00, the gold and special gold around $1,000.00 and the platinum around $2400.00 ea. With the  price of gold now around $ 1000.00 per ounce, I am sure that the gold ones will increase in price. Each different one is suppose to have its own different tonal qualities. I have not played around with each one to compare the tonal differences.
   I ended up buying 2 of the resonators, 6 sugar cubes and a phase corrector. Even to this day they still baffle me as to why something so small can make such a difference. I am still experimenting with different locations. These things make no sense. Even changing the cup position from level to either forward tilt or backward tilt makes a difference in the perceived sounstage. I still am scratching my head every time I place them in a different location and hear the changes why they do what they do.
   I will say that these resonators if set up properly can be more significant in ones system then a new amp, or preamp, etc. Properly is the big word. As much as they can help ones system when set up properly they can also mess things up.
   I have heard these things turn an ordinary system into a pretty decent sounding system. The cost is the problem. One by itself will not break the bank. But when you keep adding more and more................
   I have heard in a couple of systems already where these resonators do a much better job at dialing ones system than a lot of the expensive room treatments that were removed.
   The guy that invented these used one silver resonator in his room for a year before he started adding more and more until he felt that 11 was the right amount for most rooms. From what I personally heard just one silver on the back wall right in between the middle of your speakers will surprise you. The proper height is where you have to determine for yourself.
   They talk about putting one inside of your refrigerator and you will be able to hear the change. I personally have not tried this but a couple other guys in the Chicago Audio Society have had this done by Brian Walsh from Essential Audio in Barrington, Il. They told me that they were able to hear the change in their system with one of these inside of their refrigerator. Even my B.S. meter goes off on that one.

Gregg

geezer

« Reply #6 on: 19 Mar 2008, 06:25 pm »
I accidentally tested a version of this kind of system at a wine and cheese party at my home a few years ago. My audio system was turned on the whole time and by the end of the evening there were empty wine glasses (i.e. resonators) spotted all over the house. (My personal contribution to the array must have been about ten glasses.) I could not help but notice the improvement in my system as the wine glass count went up, and by the end of the evening it sounded 500 percent better. That's proof enough for me!

The only problem was that I had a horrendous headache the next morning.

hotbird

« Reply #7 on: 20 Mar 2008, 03:00 am »
Haven't tried the Acoustic System Resonators but the Acoustic Revive QR-8 resonators?

http://www.acoustic-revive.com/english/qr8/qr8_01.html

Anyone compare the two?

Anyway, I also copied Frank's idea of putting one of his resonator in the fridge, but instead of instead of using his product, I used a piece of Acoustic Revive RIQ-5010W clear quartz insulator (this was done after comparing various types of crystal products in the fridge, from the small QR-8, to assorted tumbled gems stones bought from a local crystal shop) which proved to be the most effective one in the fridge  :D

http://www.acoustic-revive.com/english/riq5010/riq5010_01.html

Guess there are more than 1 way of skinning the cat  :wink:

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #8 on: 20 Mar 2008, 10:00 am »
These are one of the most interesting products that I have ever heard. We had them demonstrated at the November Chicago Audio Society Meeting. Were were getting really good sound considering that we were using my second systems pair of speakers. They are the Audio Physic Tempo III's. Not a bad speaker for a small to medium sized room. The big room that the meeting was held in usually requires bigger speakers to load the room.
   A good number of B.S. meters were going off with a lot of members. It really went off for a couple of guys. Especially when we were told how much money they cost and how many are required to treat a room properly. One guy even left at break time because he could not believe that we had over $7,500.00 worth of these resonators, phase correctors, sugar cubes and these discs. The claim is that you need approx. 11 of these resonators to fully treat a room. The sugar cubes are designed to put on things that you hear vibrate or ringing in your room like windows or heater ducts etc.
   After the break they removed all of the "cups" from their wood bases. Wow! what a huge difference. The soundstage became one dimensional without them. The bass was not as tight and dynamic. The instruments became more of a blur in the soundstage instead of being defined in space. The tonality even change for the worst. They then started putting one or two back at a time. You could keep hearing better and better improvements with every one. They have 5 different versions of these resonators. The basic which is mostly copper, silver, gold, special gold and platinum. The copper is now about $240.00. The silver about $500.00, the gold and special gold around $1,000.00 and the platinum around $2400.00 ea. With the  price of gold now around $ 1000.00 per ounce, I am sure that the gold ones will increase in price. Each different one is suppose to have its own different tonal qualities. I have not played around with each one to compare the tonal differences.
   I ended up buying 2 of the resonators, 6 sugar cubes and a phase corrector. Even to this day they still baffle me as to why something so small can make such a difference. I am still experimenting with different locations. These things make no sense. Even changing the cup position from level to either forward tilt or backward tilt makes a difference in the perceived sounstage. I still am scratching my head every time I place them in a different location and hear the changes why they do what they do.
   I will say that these resonators if set up properly can be more significant in ones system then a new amp, or preamp, etc. Properly is the big word. As much as they can help ones system when set up properly they can also mess things up.
   I have heard these things turn an ordinary system into a pretty decent sounding system. The cost is the problem. One by itself will not break the bank. But when you keep adding more and more................
   I have heard in a couple of systems already where these resonators do a much better job at dialing ones system than a lot of the expensive room treatments that were removed.
   The guy that invented these used one silver resonator in his room for a year before he started adding more and more until he felt that 11 was the right amount for most rooms. From what I personally heard just one silver on the back wall right in between the middle of your speakers will surprise you. The proper height is where you have to determine for yourself.
   They talk about putting one inside of your refrigerator and you will be able to hear the change. I personally have not tried this but a couple other guys in the Chicago Audio Society have had this done by Brian Walsh from Essential Audio in Barrington, Il. They told me that they were able to hear the change in their system with one of these inside of their refrigerator. Even my B.S. meter goes off on that one.

Gregg

Thanks Gregg for posting an informative posted in a thread riffed of fluffernutter posts. :lol: I'm finding Acoustic Revive's products to be some of the most productive tweak items to have come along in quite some time now. I haven't tried the QR-8 Quartz resonators yet but if hotbed gives them a thumbs up, that's good enough for me.  :thumb:

hotbed, quick tip, try a Shakti Stone underneath the Acoustic Revive RR-77 or sandwiched between the KingRx ps and the RR-77. It'll rock your world.  :o :drool:

Cheers,
Robin
« Last Edit: 29 Mar 2008, 06:13 am by satfrat »

Rob Babcock

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 20 Mar 2008, 10:41 am »
That's true, Robin- I'll readily admit that I have to concede my ignorance quite frequently. :duh: :lol:  A good example is 8th Nerve:  for the life of me, the physics makes no sense and I can't understand how those little things can work.  But having employed $1,100 worth of 'em in my last house I'll tell you the do work.  Why?  I dunno! :scratch: :lol:

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #10 on: 20 Mar 2008, 10:49 am »
That's true, Robin- I'll readily admit that I have to concede my ignorance quite frequently. :duh: :lol:  A good example is 8th Nerve:  for the life of me, the physics makes no sense and I can't understand how those little things can work.  But having employed $1,100 worth of 'em in my last house I'll tell you the do work.  Why?  I dunno! :scratch: :lol:

If you really wanta get confused(like myself), try the Acoustic Revive RR-77 Low Frequency Pulse Generator. Why a 7.83Hz signal will expand the sound stage is beyond me but I'm so taken by it, I've upgraded the wallwart power supply and now have it sitting on a Shakti Stone,,,, it's simply beyond words, especially when I can't expain it to begin with. But as it is with you Rob, I have to trust my ears.  :D

Cheers,
Robin

Kenobi

« Reply #11 on: 20 Mar 2008, 02:07 pm »
Hi all,

I hope more of those who have tried the ASR will come forward and give at least a brief impression.  The concepts and logic behind it are esoteric to say the least.  What gives something merit or lack of it is the end result.  I hope to be able to get my hands on at least one of these ASR to confirm either way.  Brian at Xtreme cables is offering this with a 30 day money back guarantee at the moment.  I will report back after I get to try one out.

Gregg: thanks much for your contribution.

Kenobi

kenk

« Reply #12 on: 20 Mar 2008, 04:49 pm »
The cups work because they improve the "Fung Shui" on your system..... aa

jdechamp

« Reply #13 on: 24 Mar 2008, 06:48 pm »
I have six of the Acoustic Resonators in my listening room (1-Basic, 1-Gold special and 4-Silver) and I can say that they definitely make a difference. My soundstage height is increased, and also is more focused at the left and right extremes. I have made too many recent changes to my system to comment on tonal balance and timbre or any more subtle effects at this point.
I can say that if you place them on your speakers that some very strange things happen, like a collapsing of the soundstage.

Joe

jostber

« Reply #14 on: 14 Dec 2011, 03:47 pm »
Sorry for bringing up an old subject, but I just read the articles on the Resonators. Any recent views on these from users?

Hipper

« Reply #15 on: 14 Dec 2011, 06:06 pm »
Resonators are used in the Finite Elemente Pagode rack. See link.

http://www.finite-elemente.de/en/racks/pagode_master_reference/resonator_technologie

jostber

« Reply #16 on: 14 Dec 2011, 06:35 pm »
Thanks, but I meant these ones from Franck Tchang:

http://www.francktchang.com/acousticresonators.html

max190

• Home of the St. Louis Cardinals!
« Reply #17 on: 15 Dec 2011, 12:01 am »
I accidentally tested a version of this kind of system at a wine and cheese party at my home a few years ago. My audio system was turned on the whole time and by the end of the evening there were empty wine glasses (i.e. resonators) spotted all over the house. (My personal contribution to the array must have been about ten glasses.) I could not help but notice the improvement in my system as the wine glass count went up, and by the end of the evening it sounded 500 percent better. That's proof enough for me!

The only problem was that I had a horrendous headache the next morning.

Winner!  :lol:

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #18 on: 15 Dec 2011, 05:36 pm »
Unless someone has changed the laws of physics these will do zero. 

Glenn
www.gikacoustics.com

jostber