SB3 Jitter reduction mods

mr_bill

Re: SB3 Jitter reduction mods
« Reply #40 on: 3 Aug 2008, 10:20 pm »
Art or anyone esle,
Is money better spent on a new linear power supply or on digital upgrades for the Duet.
(I use my Duet, digital out to my dac)
Thanks,
Bill

jhm731

« Reply #41 on: 3 Aug 2008, 10:51 pm »
Art or anyone esle,
Is money better spent on a new linear power supply or on digital upgrades for the Duet.
Thanks,
Bill
IMO, digital output upgrades make a much bigger improve than spending lots money on a linear PSU.

If you want to upgrade the Duet receiver''s PSU to a linear, here's one:

Acopian -B9G50. Cost- $100.

www.acopian.com/

PS- I read in another thread that Ebony pucks were used in a very expensive PSU. I couldn't fix these pucks into my PSU, so I put them on top of the Duet reciever. 8)

mr_bill

« Reply #42 on: 3 Aug 2008, 11:30 pm »
Art or anyone esle,
Thanks,
Bill
IMO, digital output upgrades make a much bigger improve than spending lots money on a linear PSU.

If you want to upgrade the Duet receiver''s PSU to a linear, here's one:

Acopian -B9G50. Cost- $100.

www.acopian.com/

PS- I read in another thread that Ebony pucks were used in a very expensive PSU. I couldn't fix these pucks into my PSU, so I put them on top of the Duet reciever. 8)

Hi and thanks jhm731,
Did Art do your digital upgrades and so what is the cost?
You can reply privately to me with a PM if you like.
Thanks.

art

• Industry Participant
    • Analog Research-Technology
« Reply #43 on: 5 Aug 2008, 04:52 pm »
If you can find a cheap wall wart, that is the most cost-effective.

Finding one with the right plug will be tough. You could always cut the one off of the stock SMPS to get one. Just make sure that you get the polarity right.

Of course, I would love to take your hard-earned $ for a digital upgrade. But not until I am 100% satisfied with it. I am only 97% of the way there now. In the meantime, get rid of the stock SMPS. Even without having to power the display (on the Duet), it still has way too much garbage. It has to go! Period.

Yeah, yeah, yeah.........I know.....get off yer duff and make one for us, right?

One thing at a time.

Pat

art

• Industry Participant
    • Analog Research-Technology
Lack of progress report
« Reply #44 on: 3 Sep 2008, 06:07 pm »
Guys, I simply can not find a way to shove all of the things that I feel are necessary into the SB3. Maybe the Duet, but that is a qualified "maybe".

So, today's question to the gang is:

OK, just exactly how much are you wanting or expecting for this type of "mod"? First, you have to realise that any mod will require a wall wart to power the mod. So, using as a starting point that you are going to be out $20 for a wall wart that you buy from Rat Shack or some other outfit, and it will be dangling out of the rear of your unit.............

Are you willing to just except a better drive circuit (easy to do, enough room, not something the "competition" can do), you know, BNCs, transformer-coupled output, proper impedance, drive level, etc., or do you feel that it must also address the problem of the clock power supply?

That is the problem. There is no simple solution. Even if there was, it would still take lots of electrolytic caps. And they take up space.

The simplest approach would take something in the >4700 uF range to get the noise down to where it needs to be. (Pardon me if I remain vague, as I don't want to give too much help to other guys wanting to emulate my work.)

Anyway, as long as the clock and SPDIF driver coexist in the same chip, it will take a whole lot of work to keep the programme-related modulation from mucking up the clock.

Building a bigger Duet, with clock and driver self-contained and separate from each other, is a possibility. Won't help SB3 owners, but that is one option that we have been thinking about.

Your inputs are welcome.

Thanks, Pat

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #45 on: 3 Sep 2008, 07:55 pm »
If my memory serves, Mike G. built a larger box (chassis) for his.
The only thing giving any visual clue of it's ancestry was the display. The O.E. plastic case was gone.

Bob

mgalusha

« Reply #46 on: 3 Sep 2008, 08:46 pm »
I did put my Squeezebox guts in a larger case and have done some of the things Pat has outlined previously regarding the digital output. I do have a separate 3.3v supply for the chip but have not attacked the clock. I had volunteered to be one of Pat's guinea pigs but it's sounding like this may not occur since all the goodies won't fit inside a stock SB case and it certainly doesn't make sense to build something the majority of folks won't be able to use, let alone install.

mike

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #47 on: 3 Sep 2008, 10:53 pm »
Why spend the money for an external DAC?   The Duet is just fine.  Upgrad the PSU, upgrade the analog out and you are done.  Of course I have many, many external DAC's go through my system over the years and there is nothing special there.  Some DAC's are good, some are bad.  But why pay for one when the Duet does just fine on it's own after mods? 

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #48 on: 3 Sep 2008, 11:01 pm »
Why spend the money for an external DAC?   The Duet is just fine.  Upgrad the PSU, upgrade the analog out and you are done.  Of course I have many, many external DAC's go through my system over the years and there is nothing special there.  Some DAC's are good, some are bad.  But why pay for one when the Duet does just fine on it's own after mods? 

I have a fully modded SB3 w/ output transformer. Most of the time I prefer the digital out via my lightly modded Mhdt Constantine. The digital output option seems to have greater resolution and transparency.

--Roy

jhm731

« Reply #49 on: 3 Sep 2008, 11:39 pm »

How much do you have invested in your Duet?

randytsuch

« Reply #50 on: 4 Sep 2008, 12:36 am »
My 2 cents.

A bigger sb box is cool, I am working on a sb rebox project right now, but it is not practical/economical for a commercial outfit (at least, I would not think so).

As far as a Duet only mod, I think you would be severely limiting your market.  Since the Duet has not been around that long, I don't think there are a lot of them out there yet, I would think there are a lot more Squeezeboxes.

As far as the level of the mod, how does it sound?  Everyone wants the best, and wants it cheap, but that's not usually possible. 
So, how does your modded sb sound, with the mods you can make within the sb box?

Also, if you gave up the sb analog outs, and made it a transport only, could you fit more in?

Randy

Tyson

« Reply #51 on: 4 Sep 2008, 12:43 am »
All I know is that I upgrade my analog out on the Duet, got the upgraded power supply, and send it all through a modded burson buffer and the sound I'm hearing on Loius Armstrong, Ella Fitzgerald, and Billie Holiday rivals the best ($10k) turntable setup I've heard.  That's pretty serious.

jhm731

« Reply #52 on: 4 Sep 2008, 01:49 am »
All I know is that I upgrade my analog out on the Duet, got the upgraded power supply, and send it all through a modded burson buffer and the sound I'm hearing on Loius Armstrong, Ella Fitzgerals, and Billie Holiday rivals the best ($10k) turntable setup I've heard.  That's pretty serious.

So, with your Bolder mods and the Burson, you've got somewhere between $2-3K invested in your Duet?

I think for that kind of money, Pat could put the Duet in a bigger box optimize the digital output, clock and driver circuits,etc...., and
I'd have money left over to buy a DAC.

Tyson

« Reply #53 on: 4 Sep 2008, 02:22 am »
Sure, but why?  I have many external DAC's and they are OK, but why not just optimize the Duet itself?  You seem to have a DAC fetish, which is quite curious.  If I got an external DAC I'd just have to upgrade it as well, which seems pointless if I can upgrade the Duet directly....

Geardaddy

« Reply #54 on: 4 Sep 2008, 02:50 am »
What do you guys think about modding a device that is limited in the resolution of digital content it can stream? 

jhm731

« Reply #55 on: 4 Sep 2008, 02:51 am »
Sure, but why?  I have many external DAC's and they are OK, but why not just optimize the Duet itself?  You seem to have a DAC fetish, which is quite curious.  If I got an external DAC I'd just have to upgrade it as well, which seems pointless if I can upgrade the Duet directly....

I have no DAC fetish.

I right now, I don't need a DAC. If I did, I couldn't use the Duet's DAC.

I'm sure there are some people who already have a DAC they really like or want.

BTW, if your Bolder Analog mods makes the Duet's DAC so good, why do you need the modded burson buffer?

Tyson

« Reply #56 on: 4 Sep 2008, 03:19 am »
Why does one need a separate preamp and amp?  Clearly it's not a "need" as much as a "want".  For the Duet, PS and analog mods get you to a certain level.  The buffer gets you a bit further.  Simple as that.  The Duet is already a "DAC", so I see no reason to buy a DAC (Duet), and then buy another "DAC".  What's the point?

I don't know "Pat" and I've not heard his "mods".  So, if you notice, I don't comment on his mods or whether or not it is overpriced.  You however have no problem speculating wildly and ignorantly about other people's work.  That does not make you look wise or informed, it makes you look like a fool. 

With regard to cost, I am neither poor nor miserly.  I have spent what I've felt necessary to get a level of performance I am happy with.  If you cannot or will not spend the money to achieve that level, there's no shame in that, but the fact is that your financial penny pinching is making you musically impoverished.  That is your choice, and you have to live with it.  I do not and will not.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #57 on: 4 Sep 2008, 03:24 am »

I have no DAC fetish.

I right now, I don't need a DAC. If I did, I couldn't use the Duet's DAC.

I'm sure there are some people who already have a DAC they really like or want.

BTW, if your Bolder Analog mods makes the Duet's DAC so good, why do you need the modded burson buffer?

Because the Bolder mods reduce the output level of the analog outs and make it more impedance sensitive.  The buffer provides a better impedance match and also provides a bit of gain.  I've heard the Burson on a Bolder mod (analog) SB3 and the difference is not subtle.  Now, if you have a preamp in the chain with a reasonable amount of gain, it's not necessary.  It's more for those who run straight out of the SB to an amp.

Sorry for the off-topic Pat.  Good luck on your mods.

Bryan

jhm731

« Reply #58 on: 4 Sep 2008, 04:31 am »
Why does one need a separate preamp and amp?  Clearly it's not a "need" as much as a "want".  For the Duet, PS and analog mods get you to a certain level.  The buffer gets you a bit further.  Simple as that.  The Duet is already a "DAC", so I see no reason to buy a DAC (Duet), and then buy another "DAC".  What's the point?

I don't know "Pat" and I've not heard his "mods".  So, if you notice, I don't comment on his mods or whether or not it is overpriced.  You however have no problem speculating wildly and ignorantly about other people's work.  That does not make you look wise or informed, it makes you look like a fool. 

With regard to cost, I am neither poor nor miserly.  I have spent what I've felt necessary to get a level of performance I am happy with.  If you cannot or will not spend the money to achieve that level, there's no shame in that, but the fact is that your financial penny pinching is making you musically impoverished.  That is your choice, and you have to live with it.  I do not and will not.

"I don't know "Pat" and I've not heard his "mods".  So, if you notice, I don't comment on his mods or whether or not it is overpriced."

Instead of answering Pat's question about what SB3/Duet upgrades people are interested in, you come into his thread bragging about how great your $3K Bolder modified Duet/Burson buffer combo is.  :lol:

My Duet receiver has Pat's latest digital output/clock circuit upgrades. I use his U-byte © cable to connect it my Aberdeen S2150 (no separate DAC, preamp, amp, analog cables or buffers are required). 

The sound quality is outstanding. 

I hope Pat figures out a cost effective way to offer these upgrades to other SB3/Duet users.

F-100

« Reply #59 on: 4 Sep 2008, 05:14 am »
Pat,
 If your mod doesn't cost tons of moola like other "competition" then count me in.