PS3 + DAC with Odyssey system

almostbuff

PS3 + DAC with Odyssey system
« on: 23 Feb 2008, 05:41 pm »
I know this sounds crazy but has anyone used a PlayStation 3 with a DAC as their digital front end?   :icon_lol: The reason I ask is because as of now the PS3 is the best Blu Ray player out there and it can play SACD's as well.  If no one has tried I will post a review after I recieve my system.  My mono extremes, candella and lorelei's are on the way. 

jdodmead

Re: PS3 + DAC with Odyssey system
« Reply #1 on: 24 Feb 2008, 12:15 am »
Not sure why the statement "the best Blu Ray player out there " and what it would have to do what you are asking, but my 2 cents would be that a dedicated cd player or transport with an outboard DAC would be better.
 I am really curious what criteria you are using to say "the best Blu Ray player out there "
, best for what? My panny does great on video and audio, what makes you think that your gaming unit is better? What does better mean?
Regards
Jerff

JDUBS

« Reply #2 on: 24 Feb 2008, 12:24 am »
I don't have personal experience but have read a bunch about the PS3 being a top notch Blu-ray player.

-Jim

low.pfile

« Reply #3 on: 24 Feb 2008, 01:31 am »
The PS3 is a favorite choice for BluRay since it is upgradeable to v2.0. So it the best current future proof player as a best bang for the buck. For pure video performance or audio performance is not the highest rated player.

On the  topic of PS as a disc transport, there have been a number of enthusiastic threads on various boards about their use, especially older PSs. Search around.

enjoy your music, ed

mcrespo71

« Reply #4 on: 24 Feb 2008, 04:42 am »
I have a PS3 and do not see a coaxial/optical output to use it as a dedicated transport- if those were the outputs you were planning on using.

oris98

« Reply #5 on: 24 Feb 2008, 05:40 am »
PS3 does have the Optical output at the back.  No Coax though !

almostbuff

« Reply #6 on: 26 Feb 2008, 09:41 pm »
I found this review from Positive Feedback that sheds some light on this setup but they tested a PS Audio DAC with the PS3 instead of the Benchmark which is fine by me. 

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue34/psaudio_link.htm

Eduardo AAVM

« Reply #7 on: 27 Feb 2008, 08:44 am »
I found this review from Positive Feedback that sheds some light on this setup but they tested a PS Audio DAC with the PS3 instead of the Benchmark which is fine by me. 

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue34/psaudio_link.htm

You can bet it. PS' DL III is a wonderful machine, rated even higher than Benchmark in Germany's Audio magazine. it sports a very analog and detailed sound.