SP 3.0?

Alpha10

Re: SP 3.0?
« Reply #1060 on: 20 Jun 2011, 06:55 pm »
I really can't wait to hear it James, I've got our 9B SST2 all ready for action :)

I am waiting for my invite Vipers  :beer:

Cheers

Vipers

« Reply #1061 on: 20 Jun 2011, 09:42 pm »
I am waiting for my invite Vipers  :beer:

Cheers

I'd love to say that it is in the post Alpha but I feel we may be jumping the gun a little.

Hopefully we'll still have our Meridian 861 processor for the SP3 to go up against, a real battle of the titans  :)

Alpha10

« Reply #1062 on: 21 Jun 2011, 07:59 am »
I'd love to say that it is in the post Alpha but I feel we may be jumping the gun a little.

Hopefully we'll still have our Meridian 861 processor for the SP3 to go up against, a real battle of the titans  :)

Sounds good, don't forget to ask for your demo one to be 17" black facia with blue LEDs, well you never know  :oops:

Cheers

Vipers

« Reply #1063 on: 21 Jun 2011, 09:42 pm »
Sounds good, don't forget to ask for your demo one to be 17" black facia with blue LEDs, well you never know  :oops:

Cheers

Nice try alpha :lol:, personally I have a feeling it will be 17" black with green led's, as you say, you never know :wink:

Alpha10

« Reply #1064 on: 22 Jun 2011, 08:10 am »
Nice try alpha :lol:, personally I have a feeling it will be 17" black with green led's, as you say, you never know :wink:

Pulling rank, that isn't fair  :green:

Vipers

« Reply #1065 on: 22 Jun 2011, 08:53 pm »
Pulling rank, that isn't fair  :green:

OK, fair point, we'll just have to get 2 in :)

JeffO

« Reply #1066 on: 24 Jun 2011, 06:22 pm »
James,

I believe the SP3 has 2 sub outs, was looking for the info in this thread but the specs are old and the pictures not clear enough to read the labels.  For 2 channel material can the subs be setup as left and right and the SP3 used to integrate the subs with the main speakers?  Have you tried this in your setup?  Would be intersting to see how this would compare to the analogue methods. 

You mentioned you are working on the literature for the SP3.  Could you post an updated feature set and pictures for the drooling masses here?  :drool: 

Jeff

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1067 on: 24 Jun 2011, 08:57 pm »
James,

I believe the SP3 has 2 sub outs, was looking for the info in this thread but the specs are old and the pictures not clear enough to read the labels.  For 2 channel material can the subs be setup as left and right and the SP3 used to integrate the subs with the main speakers?  Have you tried this in your setup?  Would be intersting to see how this would compare to the analogue methods. 

You mentioned you are working on the literature for the SP3.  Could you post an updated feature set and pictures for the drooling masses here?  :drool: 

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Yes there is an extra set of Balanced outputs (AUX) which can de used to add a second sub and a second center. You can also used
the Unbalanced outputs as well if you want to go to Sub heavon :thumb:

james

techguy

« Reply #1068 on: 23 Jul 2011, 03:35 am »
James,

What is the latest on the delivery for the SP3?   

Frankly as a long-time loyal Bryston customer and watching 2+ years of continued delays in delivering this product it makes me wonder if this is a priority for Bryston at all.   The last comment posted was waiting for DD & DTS approvals and that it might take an additional 90 days.   Why wouldn't this have been done in advance or in parallel with testing?    I've watched this activity now for the past 2 years and what I see is serial thinking vs parallel as in most good projects.   I've pretty much lost faith at this point and is making me consider going elsewhere for the first time.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1069 on: 23 Jul 2011, 11:51 am »
I understand and please feel free to move on.  I have had much frustration with this project myself and the delays have sometimes been our fault and sometimes the Masters of the industry.  They have continually changed the requirements. There is no way to send in a unit to DTS and Dolby until it works properly and so can not be done concurrently while in development.  The powers that be keep changing the licence requirements and have many times.  That's why companies like Parasound said the hell with it and many others OEM from China.

We demo-ed an SP3 at the Munich audio show last month with great success and my distributor in Malaysia has a unit now for his show there and tells me it is superb.

I refuse to be beaten and want the SP3 to be something sonically special and we are very close - I have 6 units working well and we have 100 ready for production as soon as we get the OK, but I do understand and do not blame you at all for moving along with another product.

james

Phil A

« Reply #1070 on: 23 Jul 2011, 12:40 pm »
Home theater is a different animal than high end audio.  James' post is as honest as one can get.  Mass market companies that have a half dozen receivers in their line have much more in the way of resources to get changes in processing technology to market as that is their bread and butter.  If they are going to get thousands of units to market and that is going to be what makes or breaks their bottom line, they are going to get it to market.  Most of the time the new technology works as it should in their products but there is also at times a significant amount of issues.  Sometimes they are addressed, and sometimes they are not.  It is just the reality of the market.

Mag

« Reply #1071 on: 23 Jul 2011, 02:24 pm »
Look at it this way... The masters of the industry get Bryston to develop a product that they know will be the new sound standard in movie theatres.

That's hundreds of cities in North America, thousands of units sold. Millions of dollars in the bank! 8)

techguy

« Reply #1072 on: 23 Jul 2011, 02:37 pm »
James,

I appreciate the honest answer and the desire to create a great product but there is such a thing as a market curve and that curve moves a lot faster these days than it used to.

I just think that Bryston has missed an opportunity in the home theatre market.   HDMI Audio and video has now been around for 3-4 years already (with a lot of wasted time with the HD-DVD & BLU-RAY WAR) and I believe it's already peaked.   I can appreciate and agree that it has changed far too much along the way but the audio portion of the standard has been pretty settled since HDMI 1.3.   I just think that such products these days need to be built with modular designs in mind.

As audio/video technology becomes more and more computer-based (inevitable) the faster it will change.   I wouldn't be surprised if in the next couple of years a new mouse trap comes on the market which will start the ball rolling once again.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1073 on: 23 Jul 2011, 03:11 pm »
James,

I appreciate the honest answer and the desire to create a great product but there is such a thing as a market curve and that curve moves a lot faster these days than it used to.

I just think that Bryston has missed an opportunity in the home theatre market.   HDMI Audio and video has now been around for 3-4 years already (with a lot of wasted time with the HD-DVD & BLU-RAY WAR) and I believe it's already peaked.   I can appreciate and agree that it has changed far too much along the way but the audio portion of the standard has been pretty settled since HDMI 1.3.   I just think that such products these days need to be built with modular designs in mind.

As audio/video technology becomes more and more computer-based (inevitable) the faster it will change.   I wouldn't be surprised if in the next couple of years a new mouse trap comes on the market which will start the ball rolling once again.

I am sure you are correct but we are a small company with lofty goals! and not for everyone.  And half the stuff they throw at you is gimmick marketing not performance driven.

james

Alpha10

« Reply #1074 on: 23 Jul 2011, 03:30 pm »
I am sure you are correct but we are a small company with lofty goals! and not for everyone.  And half the stuff they throw at you is gimmick marketing not performance driven.

james

For what it is worth James, I think you and Bryston are doing the right thing, I doubt I will ever be able to afford a SP3, but it is an ambition! People like Onkyo and Denon have huge resources for making these things happen and as such probably have ways of getting to the front of the queue, but the problem is their products although very good are completely mass market, with no real love or passion. I see the SP3 as being such a beast, not running in the pack with the front panel sticker race, just back to basics good old fashioned engineering excellence, and great sound, taking taime and getting it right!

Cheers

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1075 on: 23 Jul 2011, 03:59 pm »
For what it is worth James, I think you and Bryston are doing the right thing, I doubt I will ever be able to afford a SP3, but it is an ambition! People like Onkyo and Denon have huge resources for making these things happen and as such probably have ways of getting to the front of the queue, but the problem is their products although very good are completely mass market, with no real love or passion. I see the SP3 as being such a beast, not running in the pack with the front panel sticker race, just back to basics good old fashioned engineering excellence, and great sound, taking taime and getting it right!

Cheers

Cheers as well - I will tell you getting it right - meaning very low noise low distortion Digital and Analog signal paths was not an easy task. The digital processing part is pretty straight forward but the rest is a labour of love :thumb:

james

techguy

« Reply #1076 on: 23 Jul 2011, 04:11 pm »

james

Not to belabour this, but I wouldn't want Bryston to become like mass market larger companies out there.  There are plenty of those already.  For the most part, I think Bryston designs and builds great products and should continue to do so.   

Some of the best products that come to market come from small companies who allow their limited engineering capacity the creativity and passion to build something special.   Large companies have more $ but also have a lot of bureaucracy that gets in the way along with volume sales expectations to re-coup the higher up-front costs and often results in inferior sound and video quality to the consumer.    The process just needs to ride the market curve otherwise it's moot.  I actually believe that small companies have the advantage if done properly.

Regardless I still wish Bryston every success.   

mv038856

« Reply #1077 on: 25 Jul 2011, 03:13 pm »
I would love to see a product that has all the current features and offers an upgrade path for all the future features and comes with the audio performance level of a Bryston component.

The reality, however, is that there isn't a product that meets these requirements. Therefore, one has to make a decision what matters more.

One option is to buy an Onkyo/Denon/Integra Pre/Pro @ $2,500 and up every year or every second year to keep up with the changes the DTSs, Dolbys and Audysseys serve and have a decent audio performance, but not at a Bryston level.

Another option is to purchase a machine like the Bryston SP-3 which leaves out video processing and therefore doesn't get obsolete that fast as far as video processing is concerned. It delivers audio quality @ Bryston level, but will lack features that every $500 receiver will have. The fact that it will be in the $10,000 region is another factor to take into account. Considering that you can use an SP-3 as an excellent 2 channel pre might help to digest the price tag better if you not plan to run it in a dedicated multichannel environment.

That is the reality that I perceive and as I learned that "perception IS reality", those are the option I am contemplating about.

Cheers!

Markus

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1078 on: 25 Jul 2011, 03:30 pm »
Nice feedback from our Distributor in Malaysia on the SP3

Sent: July-24-11 6:43 AM
To: James Tanner
Subject: SP3

Hi James,

Just read your forum regarding the SP3 and comments regarding the product release schedule. I was in the same boat as those complaining on the delayed release of the SP3 but let me tell you this, after having the pleasure of using your demo unit the last couple of weeks, "IT WORKS", and I am sure that all the bad vibes will disappear once people have a go at it.

You have a product that does not only sounds fantastic which is a given with your understanding of audio but to have your pass through video feature coming looking like a champ says volume for you and your team's attention to details.

James, keep up the good work and thanks for mentioning that the SP3 will be featured in our coming KLIAV show next week, just hope that we can highlight all the talents of the SP3.

Regards,
James

SoundGame

« Reply #1079 on: 25 Jul 2011, 04:30 pm »
Nice feedback from our Distributor in Malaysia on the SP3

Sent: July-24-11 6:43 AM
To: James Tanner
Subject: SP3

Hi James,

Just read your forum regarding the SP3 and comments regarding the product release schedule. I was in the same boat as those complaining on the delayed release of the SP3 but let me tell you this, after having the pleasure of using your demo unit the last couple of weeks, "IT WORKS", and I am sure that all the bad vibes will disappear once people have a go at it.

You have a product that does not only sounds fantastic which is a given with your understanding of audio but to have your pass through video feature coming looking like a champ says volume for you and your team's attention to details.

James, keep up the good work and thanks for mentioning that the SP3 will be featured in our coming KLIAV show next week, just hope that we can highlight all the talents of the SP3.

Regards,
James

Nice comments and this raises the anticipation.  I noticed, the letter is from another James T.    :wink: