Panasonic SA XRS Digital amplifier/HT Receiver

clyde

« Reply #40 on: 25 Oct 2003, 02:21 am »
The power supply on the XR25 puts out quite a lot of heat at idle, around 10 watts I would guess, enough to warm up the top of the case but not trigger the fan.  The case really should be ventilated.

I've noticed no significant additional heat output even when running 4 channels at high power levels.

_scotty_

« Reply #41 on: 25 Oct 2003, 02:41 am »
clyde, does the sound stage and dynamics hold up when you drive the rear ch. Does the XR25 sound as good when you drive 4 speakers as it does when only 2 are driven. Sony's have been criticized for not sounding as good in HT applications as they do for 2ch. Inquiring minds want to know.

someidiot

« Reply #42 on: 25 Oct 2003, 02:51 am »
Quote from: _scotty_
someidiot, Are you running all 5 ch. in a home theatre setup or just the front two ch. If you are running all 5 how does the sound field and dynamics compare to just running the front only ...

Hey Scotty,

I'm running 6.1 for HT, and 2.1 for Redbook audio (via digital inputs). I've toyed with all the various settings of Neo:6 and DD2 to convert 2 channel audio to 6, and prefer just the front channels for CDs -- effects aside, I feel there's more warmth and emotion, especially with female vocals (Abra Moore sounds great). Having said that, the local jazz station sounds truly excellent via DD2 Panorama; very wide soundstage; but radio is so compressed it's hard to tell about the dynamics there  :|  

I think a non-multitrack source played in stereo is punchier, and more accurate (so far) with the '45. That might well be due to the DD/DTS algorithms, but my gut tells me the power supply is also working hard when running all channels. I am running these into 6 ohms all round ...

There again, it sure rocked with that movie soundtrack last night, and seemed to 'stop' and 'start' on a knife edge so it's confusing me a bit. Does this make any sense to you?

- Kris

clyde

« Reply #43 on: 25 Oct 2003, 03:07 am »
scotty,

I'm doing most critical listening to stereo PCM 44/16 and 96/24 with some NEO:6 through the rears.  However, I've cranked up the DTS track of Blue Man Group and there were unrestricted dynamics all around.  Imaging seemed fine, but I made no attempt to compare to stereo imaging.   This amp has plenty of power.  I think someone measured it at around 130w per channel at 4 ohms.

_scotty_

« Reply #44 on: 25 Oct 2003, 03:29 am »
This is good news for the dual use crowd and I appreciate your responses.
Other users have complained about harshness in the upper frequencies
and fatigue I still have never heard the problem for myself if you have speakup. I was also wondering how big the apparent reproduced space seemed to you and how big the sound stage was in comparision other systems you've had. In a nutshell "how big is it". Your reply would start " It's so big or small that..............."

someidiot

« Reply #45 on: 25 Oct 2003, 03:52 am »
Clyde; Scotty; thanks for the input regarding heat.

While being an acknowledged non-audiophile, I would definately say this is a great dual-use amp Scotty. Regarding harshness, there is a bit (no pun intended) on the high end; but this unit is barely out of the box.  

I'd rather wait to comment on soundstage comparisons until better cables are in place and well burned-in. I will say that I'm really impressed all round :)

Brad

« Reply #46 on: 25 Oct 2003, 03:22 pm »
My '25 hasn't run noticeably hot at all.
It has gotten smoother, but is still somewhat fatiguing on the directv satellite audio feed when watching TV.

The harshness is not there at all with music from the DVD player, so I'm guessing that I'm actually hearing how crappy the Directv signal is  :evil:
Bass control remains amazing for a unit this small.

I'll finally get a chance to listen to some vinyl through the analog inputs today   :D

For $231, this was an incredible bargain.   Can't wait to hear it on some single-driver Fostex speakers.

Dmason

« Reply #47 on: 25 Oct 2003, 04:40 pm »
I agree with the notion of single driver Panny combo, and was thinking that the other night. Maybe a good match with some of those new Jordan designs cropping up and sounding great. --Please keep us apprised on that one.

A good test of the 45 was hooked up to my high efficient Coincident speakers. These are very forgiving, in sort of a Mercedes-handling way, they can sound great with not much, and use exceptional components and drivers such as the ScanSpeak Revelator and Audax carbon fiber mid, throughout, --but one really gets to hear how good instrument separation and soundstage depth can be portrayed thru use with the 45, under such optimal circumstances.

I love its sound, and can tell you that it is in no way out of place working with seemingly out-of-league stuff, (which would be pretty narrow-minded,) and it seems to still be opening up, maybe others could comment there. I would imagine it sounds best in 2 channel as available power would suggest. Mine does not run overly hot, and would love to know if Scotty has given any more consideration to the idea of shoe horning some o those phat Blackgates into place, or whether the little holes could be drilled out to fit, etc., THEN you would have something really new. Maybe some dialogue there...

I would go so far as to say that my current Value Audio Idea would be to get a Panasonic, --no more need for an outstanding DAC, IC's etc., and sport for the very best speakers you can afford, like some high efficiency full range floors, spending considerably more because of the dough you have just saved with this Rx.

_scotty_

« Reply #48 on: 25 Oct 2003, 08:52 pm »
Hi Dmason, have you compared the sound of the Scott Nixon DACkit through the XR45 analogue inputs to the sound of the SONYDVP7700S
directly into the Digital inputs of the XR45.

Dmason

« Reply #49 on: 25 Oct 2003, 09:45 pm »
Yes I have and once again, it's direct digital for the Panasonic.

Where the Nixon is ideal with the Tripath amp combo, and almost "mellow," the proceedings are heard by far the best, direct. Somehow, the DACkit thru analogue IN is sounding "slower." I really like the sound direct, quite different from the main stereo, but entirely musical, and does fantastic things with exceptionally well produced albums and soundtracks in 24/96, hearing Mark Mancina's orchestral Prelude to 'Twister,' or 'The Battle' from Schultz' 'Gladiator,' this is something different, and I shall pursue DVD-A and SACD specifically for what the Panny offers there. The DVD-A remaster of prog rock cornerstone album, Emerson, Lake & Palmer's 'Brain Salad Surgery' takes that format right over the top, IMO. Landmark stuff to be sure; Key follow, (ADSR,) on complex synthesizer patches is there for all to hear, I can identify individual drawbar settings on the organ, the attack transients of the hammered dulcimer, --all revelatory. In fact, I am not quite sure which stereo sounds better"" to me right now... Apples and oranges here....

smargo

« Reply #50 on: 25 Oct 2003, 09:53 pm »
Dmason,

Would you say that you are enjoying the panasonic more than your sony es 70 or 50 and your carver or is hard to discern which sounds better.

smargo

Dmason

« Reply #51 on: 25 Oct 2003, 10:18 pm »
Apples and oranges, really. I sold the Sony two weeks ago, so I guess I prefer the Panasonic, by a rather wide margin really, enough so, to buy new speakers to go, the Dynaudios. These are basically a Contour 1.3 for the studio. They are exceptional with the Panasonic, and reach down to about F3=42Hz. The Panasonic has a vice-like grip on the woofer.

The Carver deal is my bigger, badder, in the living room drawer, unit, which plays alot of orchestral and live rock, but more importantly, does get it right at very very low volumes, such as ambience for dinners. I get to absolutely crack that thing on a regular basis, and love the Tripath sound, have owned the amp for about 15 months now. I play Redbook only on it and this is fine with me. Now, I have ordered several DVD-A's to listen to in increased resolution, with the Panasonic.

I cannot tell you what you might do, but the Value represented by the 45 is obvious, further, there is no need for outboard anything extra. The Dyns offer a superb match with the 45, a little weapons grade system, for about a grand. Both systems are inherently musical, and I read that the ZR's are landing, to great approbation by their new owners.

BrunoB

Power cord?
« Reply #52 on: 26 Oct 2003, 01:53 pm »
For a modest investment in a great sounding system you need a
good to great transport,a toslink or coaxial cable, an aftermarket power cord,...

Could someone provide details how to improve the PC of the Panasonic? Isn't  the PC attached like in most low cost systems? Which power cord did you choose?

Has anyone tried the Panasonic with a power conditioner?

Thanks,

Bruno

Dmason

« Reply #53 on: 26 Oct 2003, 02:24 pm »
Audioquest offers exactliy the cord needed. www.amusicdirect.com has an adaptor, if you have a cord in mind.

smargo

« Reply #54 on: 26 Oct 2003, 02:49 pm »
dmason,

went to the the site of music direct, couldn't find audioquest cord.

thanks
smargo

someidiot

« Reply #55 on: 26 Oct 2003, 05:55 pm »
Quote from: smargo
dmason,

went to the the site of music direct, couldn't find audioquest cord.

thanks
smargo

Try here: http://www.audioquest.com/ to get the part number (NRG-1). Then find a retailer who stocks it.

dmason was offering you the alternate route of using a two- to three-prong (IEC) adapter, which musicdirect and others sell. You could then use your own high-quality three prong cable, assuming you had one already (or wished to go that route anyway).

BTW, there's a place selling those (apparently the same) $22 adapters for $5.95.

Monolith

« Reply #57 on: 27 Oct 2003, 12:44 am »
You can also buy adapters for $4.95 or less if you just want to try a cord out and then upgrade to some exotic adapter later on.

Update - Inquiring minds want to know where to get them that cheap!

Click Here ---> Take Five Audio IEC Adapter - $5.95 canadian

This is a Canadian company.  I have no affiliation with them nor do I have anything to gain by providing this link, etc., etc.  If this post crosses over into the "ad" arena, please move it.

Please note: Shipping charges appear quite high.  Please call them directly and see if they will ship them out cheaper.

These types of adapters are normally produced much cheaper even yet, but only sold in bulk.  One of the main suppliers is a Chinese company.

smargo

« Reply #58 on: 27 Oct 2003, 01:08 am »
The adapters can be found at these links to Music Direct   http://www.amusicdirect.com/products/detail.asp?sku=AHTDVDIEC
http://www.amusicdirect.com/products/swsearch.asp?dmSearchBy=All&srch=ICECUBE&B1=GO
The NRG cord is at Audio Advisor http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=AQNRG13&product_name=NRG-1%20AC%20Power%20Cable

Hope this info helps.

Thanks Scotty I wasn't sure what connector was on the panasonic, this really helps.

Smargo

Brad

« Reply #59 on: 27 Oct 2003, 01:54 am »