Panasonic SA XRS Digital amplifier/HT Receiver

cjr888

« Reply #300 on: 16 Aug 2004, 11:41 pm »
Quote from: ABEX
CJR
I've read some comments that state that it work's best with Impedances of approx. 5ohms and it's all experimentation after that. I would magine no one will know what the 70 will do until it's here.

I thought that someone had tried it with Apogee's which is about as demanding of a load most will have.

Some posters at the AA BB have some good experience and comments on it. Some might have some Tech references there. Wayne might have done some scope work with it to see.

Hope that helped some,Good luck

Definitely helps a little bit, and does mirror a lot of the comments I've heard..  Don't know at what point things get awful or not still, but for whatever reason, it seems like people finding matching a bit more sensitive than with other amplifiers.. The fact that someone was driving the Apogee's with it certainly does give me piece of mind though..  Searching for a product match, and to me the Panny is that much more intriguing part because of option of digital path and HDMI.  Figure keeping the unit stock with the possible improvement of analog in, in any manner, might be a terrific, balanced compromise for lack of better words for a feature rich unit on a budget.

The one thing I find curious is where the digital amplifiers exist in manufactuer's product lines.  Panny seems to be using them across the board.  JVC seems to keep them at the bottom of the line.  Integra appears to have them at the top of the line.  Kenwood at the bottom.  Denon has that middle of the road unit that's available outside the US.

Granted these are the 100+ gizmo units with a market perception of slim = lifestyle and bigger = better...but maybe someone will start throwing out digital amplifiers with a little extra cash on the power supply and a fancy schmancy chassis..and please everyone.  Would be nice to start seeing the units show up in mass market seperates instead of just receivers...  But you have to wonder if the people behind the company's are listening to these little units in comparison to their monster receivers...

AphileEarlyAdopter

« Reply #301 on: 17 Aug 2004, 02:20 am »
I am not sure I have heard anybody driving an Apogee with the Panny receivers. My impression, based on user feedback on various forums, is - that the Panny cannot handle speakers with drastic dips or spikes in the impedence curve. A flat a low impedence like 4ohm does not matter. To me, this seems to concur with the theory that the Panasonic is a 'no feedback' design.
The inability to handle difficult loads is short-coming of the architecture/product and a liability to the manufacturer. But to a user who has compatible speakers or able to find compatible speakers this is not a problem. And the price/performance is a major advantage to the user. If SET lovers can buy specific speakers, I am sure people can be particular in buying speakers with reasonably flat impedence curve, so that they can drive with low-cost products like the Panasonic.
I have Silverline Sonatina speakers, originally, bought to be driven with low-powered tube designs. I am now happy I can make use of the Panny with it. The Panny is so transparent, I think, some of my friends who are into music composing as a hobby, will most likely be able to guess the keyboards, synth, mics used in a song. For eg, the 'reverbs' used with various tracks/instruments in a song stands out so much, that for people with a keen ear, the illusion of a single playback venue does not exist. Also, any low-level instruments going off-key out of rhythm should be more easy to spot.

ABEX

« Reply #302 on: 17 Aug 2004, 07:24 am »
Do a search at AA to see what other's have used was my advice. I know some use Quads. It is also the dips in imp. that you should look at concernig speakers.

I was listening yesterday and it seemed that things started getting fuzzy when I took it almost to full vol. using a speakers which Ithink the imp dips to around 3.

In my area there is dirty AC during normal biz hours and it dips(AC) to around 116v and goes up to 124v so I thought that might be having an effect.

Like I said please look at the AA BB to read some of their comments as there are a few there that are using QUADS which are a resistive load that are said to be very hard to drive.

I thought I had read one person tried Apogees. 100w does not do enough to drive my speakers to their highest db levels so I am waiting to purchase a higher spec'd Digi amp or a conventional amp that I know drives my speakers to higher levels.

I am quite certain that someone has stated that the ideal load is 5-6ohms using the panny 45.

How efficient speakers are will have a big effect as to what you might get for performance also.

Another BB to look at is the DIY Audio and the Madisound BB whichhas dsicussed the capabilities of the Panasonic unit in detail.

We are talikng about a $300 unit so I would not expect mirical's ,but to get good clean sound is great for a unit at this price.

Good luck!

azryan

« Reply #303 on: 17 Aug 2004, 05:47 pm »
100w does not do enough to drive my speakers to their highest db levels-

What are your speakers? And how many hundreds of Watts do you then need to drive them to the extra few db loudest that you need 'em to play?

Is there any thought about the distortion level of the speaker's drivers when pushed to their limits effecting sound. 'Cuz it should happen.

I am quite certain that someone has stated that the ideal load is 5-6ohms using the panny 45.

Are you certain that person is correct though? Did they state why they claimed that?

aamsel

oops
« Reply #304 on: 11 Sep 2004, 03:42 am »
oops

neueziel

« Reply #305 on: 24 Dec 2004, 04:07 am »
Ok after reading most of the post I'm still a bit confused on setting up a 2.1 system with the 25.

My setup will include the following:
Computer w/EMU 0404 Soundcard has optical and coaxial outs.
Harman Kardon HKB6 Speakers
Dayton 10" Powered Sub

So I'm guessing this is how I should set it up.  Basically speakers will be in (L,R), sub will be in LFE, and the soundcard would be connected to any one of the optical inputs.  Now do I set up the speakers as small or large?  My speakers can do as low as 55 so I assume large, but the manual says if you use a sub than use small.  So I use small? Finally do I need to do party mode?

Thanks for the help!