Very Thin Coat Of "Its Top Secret" On Speaker Cones???

miklorsmith

Re: Very Thin Coat Of Concrete On Speaker Cones???
« Reply #20 on: 21 Jan 2008, 06:47 pm »
HFSG - nice to see you're so thorough - After you cut large pieces out of your new speakers it seemed you had taken their value almost to zero.  But, they might have still been worth something as raw parts so now you've eliminated that.

I have to admire your determination with your speakers as well as hanging around.  You provide an entertainment not otherwise available here and I'm glad to have you.  :thumb:

SET Man

« Reply #21 on: 21 Jan 2008, 06:55 pm »
Not quite the same thing, but possibly cooler. Concrete speakers.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/node/103

Hey!

Definitely not the same. This actually better. :D

This is not new but making speaker enclosure from concrete is a great idea. Not easy for sure. :roll:

But! Coating drivers with thin coat of concrete is like.... trying to stiffening airplane wings with a thin coat of concrete!  :lol:

Sure the driver will still work but now it is heavier and it won't be long before the thin coat of concrete start to crack from the vibration of cone movement.  :D

BTW... HiFiSoundGuy, see this guy actually take pictures of his process and show just how it done. Well, maybe you should to because I'm sure all of us want to know and see your concrete speaker  :wink:

Well, you know... talk is cheap :lol:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #22 on: 21 Jan 2008, 08:18 pm »
The use of the term concrete is most assurdly a misnomer.  Traditionally concrete is a mixture of cement, sand, gravel, and water although many more or less exotic spin-off formulations exist.  Thousands of products that are used as admixtures or with concrete that are themselves, not concrete.

Traditional concrete is much stronger in compression than tension (thus the use of reinforcing steel, otherwise known as "rebar" or "re-rods").  It is stronger than wood, but weaker than steel in compression.  It has very little usable tensile strength and so would have almost no application as a coating to flexible diaphrams (speaker cones/domes).

ohenry

« Reply #23 on: 21 Jan 2008, 08:29 pm »
HFSG isn't using concrete, it's an acrylic polymer.  It's the stuff you apply to the cracks in concrete driveways and patios.  The company does add a little limestone to give it a concrete appearance.

bluemike

« Reply #24 on: 21 Jan 2008, 08:36 pm »
I'm suprised this post has has gone on this long  :duh:

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #25 on: 21 Jan 2008, 08:44 pm »
Well, as miklorsmith points out, it is entertaining ... and even enlightening!

We have just found out that we weren't talking about concrete all this time, but an acrylic polymer!

I enjoy the way HFSG  just ignores insults and soldiers on.

He might be the living definition of "Beyond the Fringe" (for those few who remember this!).

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #26 on: 21 Jan 2008, 08:52 pm »
Ok, I am not sure that we have concluded whether or not the product being applied is concrete or acrylic or what.... BUT  :icon_twisted: I did see them build a scaled down glider out of very thin concrete on Mythbusters which did exibit some good lift relative to weight. They determined it was feasible based on the parameters for that test.

So maybe this guy is some kind of genius and has a new application? :o

ohenry

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #28 on: 21 Jan 2008, 09:00 pm »
... and, in line with the glider item, ferro-cement sailboats were supposed to be lighter than any other alternative once over 36 feet long, although other considerations make them impractical, like ease of repair and modification and internal rusting of the chicken wire "rebar" used.

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #29 on: 21 Jan 2008, 09:08 pm »
I did see them build a scaled down glider out of very thin concrete on Mythbusters which did exibit some good lift relative to weight.

Sounds pretty heavy...

Cheers

HiFiSoundGuy

« Reply #30 on: 21 Jan 2008, 10:05 pm »
Here's the MSDS:
http://www.hardwarestore.com/media/msds/218560.pdf
I'm SHOCKED! I thought this stuff was CONCRETE! :duh:     I would like to see Danny try this tweak on a pair of his speakers.....I really think when Danny trys it out he will never go back.....its just amazing what this tweak does!
« Last Edit: 24 Jan 2008, 03:29 am by HiFiSoundGuy »

geezer

« Reply #31 on: 21 Jan 2008, 10:09 pm »
How easy it is to spark activity on the circle. Just say something weird that might possibly be taken seriously.

But back to topic: thirty years ago an audiophile and physics graduate student chose, as an experimental and theoretical master's thesis, to design and build a high quality set of speakers. After testing several designs in the lab, he decided on a three-way enclosed design, plus a passive radiator. Part of the design involved "buttering" the mid driver cone with some sort of goo that dried into a rubbery film. As I recall, the idea was to lower the resonance as well as to stifle break-up modes. After hearing his speakers I found them to be better than any I could find on the market, so I persuaded him to build a pair for me. I finally replaced them only a couple of years ago when one of the mids and a tweeter died.

They were great speakers.

miklorsmith

« Reply #32 on: 21 Jan 2008, 10:10 pm »
Does it matter what it is?  It's all in the results.  If it made the speakers better it shouldn't matter if it's dog snot.

That said, it's surprising you'd be willing to perform a non-reversible tweak like this without knowing what the substance was.  For that matter it's surprising you'd do it even if you did know.

Christof

« Reply #33 on: 22 Jan 2008, 12:43 am »
Try mud first....easy to wash off:lol:

arthurs

« Reply #34 on: 22 Jan 2008, 12:45 am »
Am I being Punk'd?  Are my friends going to pop out of hiding laughing if I respond to this thread?

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #35 on: 22 Jan 2008, 12:58 am »
Maybe plastered?

I mean the drivers.

No, I mean.....

Bahhhh......never mind...

Cheers

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #36 on: 22 Jan 2008, 01:43 am »
We built canoes out of concrete in college (it was a civil engineering thing to do around the country in the 70s). 

The ones made from exotic mixes weighed under 50 pounds, the heaviest I saw was over 600 pounds (before spending the day in the lake  :roll:). 

dorokusai

• Polk Audio Customer Service
    • Polk Audio
« Reply #37 on: 22 Jan 2008, 01:49 am »
Try mud first....easy to wash off:lol:

That's art :D

Mark

HiFiSoundGuy

« Reply #38 on: 22 Jan 2008, 05:03 am »
    Dampening my speaker cones has been the best thing I have done to my speakers...I think  speaker cones is the weakest link!! Everything sounds so real now.....
« Last Edit: 24 Jan 2008, 03:30 am by HiFiSoundGuy »

miklorsmith

« Reply #39 on: 22 Jan 2008, 05:06 am »
Bulletproof, ridicule proof, resilient, hyperintelligent, non-stick, suave, weapons-competent, it's not Bond, its . . .

HIFISOUNDGUY 3.1!!!

Yeah baby.   8)