Very Thin Coat Of "Its Top Secret" On Speaker Cones???

HiFiSoundGuy

Hi Danny, I was wondering if you could test this out and see what you think about it....I used a product called Quikrete Concrete Crack Seal...you can get it at Home Depot. Danny everything now sounds more like LIVE MUSIC after doing this tweak to my Midrange and Bass driver's cones on my Modified (OPEN MIDRANGE BAFFLES) DCM TFE200 speakers! Please try this and let everyone here on this forum know what you think.......THANK YOU   
« Last Edit: 24 Jan 2008, 10:52 pm by HiFiSoundGuy »

IronLion

Re: Very Thin Coat Of Concrete On Speaker Cones???
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jan 2008, 05:56 pm »
HiFiSoundGuy, can you post some pics of these concreted drivers?  I'd be interested to see them and I think others here would be as well. 

Wayner

« Reply #2 on: 19 Jan 2008, 06:14 pm »
The JBL-L100 12" woofer has a concrete surface finish on it. They sounded very "live".

Wayner  :D

HiFiSoundGuy

« Reply #3 on: 20 Jan 2008, 05:46 pm »
HiFiSoundGuy, can you post some pics of these concreted drivers?  I'd be interested to see them and I think others here would be as well. 
Sorry, no way to post pictures right now. Here's how you do this tweak...take some very fine sand paper and lightly sand the whole cone surface....this will make the acrylic stick better to the cone surface. The Quikrete is already pre-mixed in a bottle...you just have to shake it up good before using it. Then put a very thin coat of acrylic on the whole speaker cone surface and let it dry for 24 hours before playing any music. The sound does improve over time so let it settle-in for a few weeks. Everyone that has heard my speakers say they sound more like live music and less like hifi speakers now!  
« Last Edit: 24 Jan 2008, 03:24 am by HiFiSoundGuy »

SET Man

« Reply #4 on: 20 Jan 2008, 06:04 pm »
Sorry, no way to post pictures right now....

Hey!

Yeah! What else is new. As always you can't post any picture :roll:

If you are in or near NYC area I would love to see your "World's BEST sounding speaker." And I will even take picture of your system for you and post them here for you for free! :D

Than again maybe this is all in your head :roll: I'm surprised that Danny didn't respond to this yet  :icon_lol:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

HiFiSoundGuy

« Reply #5 on: 20 Jan 2008, 06:15 pm »
Sorry, no way to post pictures right now....

Hey!

Yeah! What else is new. As always you can't post any picture :roll:

If you are in or near NYC area I would love to see your "World's BEST sounding speaker." And I will even take picture of your system for you and post them here for you for free! :D

Than again maybe this is all in your head :roll: I'm surprised that Danny didn't respond to this yet  :icon_lol:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:
   No, I don't live close to the NYC area.......I'm sure Danny is thinking about this tweak.....He is always thinking of ways to improve his speakers and this tweak will do just that......

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #6 on: 20 Jan 2008, 06:33 pm »
I used a product called Quikrete Concrete Crack Seal...you can get it at Home Depot.   

Sounds heavy....

Cheers

IronLion

« Reply #7 on: 20 Jan 2008, 07:25 pm »
HiFiSoundGuy is the Steven Colbert of audiophilia.  Actually thats giving him way too much credit, but still I think the overall analogy works. 

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/whine/messages/1/11974.html

ohenry

« Reply #8 on: 20 Jan 2008, 08:19 pm »
This stuff is an acrylic polymer with some limestone powder.  I can see how it could effectively stiffen a cone like a thin coat of Elmers Glue; however, he never conveys the technique he uses to get an ultra thin coat (the most important issue).

Who knows, it may have merit in some applications, but HSG doesn't seem have the ability to be taken seriously and seems to thrive on his bothersome, gnat-like existence.  Buzz on, my brotha. Wink2

HiFiSoundGuy

« Reply #9 on: 20 Jan 2008, 11:41 pm »
This stuff is an acrylic polymer with some limestone powder.  I can see how it could effectively stiffen a cone like a thin coat of Elmers Glue; however, he never conveys the technique he uses to get an ultra thin coat (the most important issue).

Who knows, it may have merit in some applications, but HSG doesn't seem have the ability to be taken seriously and seems to thrive on his bothersome, gnat-like existence.  Buzz on, my brotha. Wink2
  I used a small art brush to put the acrylic on the cone surface.....it takes a long time to do just.... ONE CONE!
« Last Edit: 24 Jan 2008, 03:25 am by HiFiSoundGuy »

WallyWest

« Reply #10 on: 21 Jan 2008, 01:04 am »
 :lol: Concrete speakers, what a laugh.  Only people who live in cardboard boxes would think of such a thing.

Personally I take my supermodel wife's extra diamond rings, remove the diamonds, grind them into a fine powder, and apply that to my speaker cones.  Gives it that crystal clear sound that only the finest gemstones can convey. 

*disclaimer* Do not use inferior gems such as garnets since this will color the sound. 

BrianH

« Reply #11 on: 21 Jan 2008, 03:03 am »
Well if you have access to a lot of cardboard from your house then this is the way to go ...

"Portable Cardboard Speakers

By Steve Sun

You might have seen cardboard computer cases so why not speakers? MUJI introduces these portable cardboard speakers that fold up flat and can be stored in a plastic pouch when not in use. They are fully functional speakers made out of cardboard and a few electronic components. Plug them into any device with a headphone jack and they are ready to use.

MoMAstore has them available for $42"

You could coat em with concrete for that "Live" sound as well.

:icon_lol:

HiFiSoundGuy

« Reply #12 on: 21 Jan 2008, 04:54 am »
:lol: Concrete speakers, what a laugh.  Only people who live in cardboard boxes would think of such a thing.

Personally I take my supermodel wife's extra diamond rings, remove the diamonds, grind them into a fine powder, and apply that to my speaker cones.  Gives it that crystal clear sound that only the finest gemstones can convey. 

*disclaimer* Do not use inferior gems such as garnets since this will color the sound. 
  To someone who has never heard acrylic coated speaker cones... this would be very very funny. My friends thought I was CRAZY when I TOLD them about this!... until they came over and heard my speakers! Now they all want some too!..........
« Last Edit: 24 Jan 2008, 03:27 am by HiFiSoundGuy »

Danny Richie

« Reply #13 on: 21 Jan 2008, 04:26 pm »
If it works for you and you like it then I am happy for you.

Maybe you can e-mail some pics to one of these other guys and they can post them for you.

IronLion

« Reply #14 on: 21 Jan 2008, 04:53 pm »
I think he's got a very thin coat of concrete on his camera lens, ergo, no pictures  :(

TONEPUB

« Reply #15 on: 21 Jan 2008, 05:20 pm »
This is the silliest thing ive ever heard....

hmen

« Reply #16 on: 21 Jan 2008, 05:33 pm »
I just applied a thin coat of concrete to the tip of my phono needle. It sounds congested. Maybe I need to let it break in a little.

Cacophonix

« Reply #17 on: 21 Jan 2008, 05:35 pm »
I thought lighter cones were what people were after. Never heard of anyone trying to make the woofer heavier to make it sound better  :scratch:

Hey, whatever floats your boat.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #18 on: 21 Jan 2008, 06:05 pm »
I just applied a thin coat of concrete to the tip of my phono needle. It sounds congested. Maybe I need to let it break in a little.

:lol:

The Computer Audiophile

• Computer Audiophile
« Reply #19 on: 21 Jan 2008, 06:40 pm »
Not quite the same thing, but possibly cooler. Concrete speakers.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/node/103