Wadia Ipod Transport

BradJudy

Re: Wadia Ipod Transport
« Reply #20 on: 12 Jan 2008, 02:16 am »
The Stereophile article has an update that talks about how different iPod versions work with the dock: http://www.stereophile.com/news/010408wadia/

budyog

• I don't listen to audio, I listen to music.
« Reply #21 on: 12 Jan 2008, 08:48 pm »
Here is a link to some more information and pictures.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/

Type in Wadia in the search on left side. The link directly to the page would not work.

This will be a great item with a good DAC!

marklivia

« Reply #22 on: 16 Jan 2008, 06:16 pm »
Tonetub, what's the thing sound like???????? We're all dying to know.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #23 on: 16 Jan 2008, 07:39 pm »
Tonetub, what's the thing sound like???????? We're all dying to know.

x2!  :green:

zapper7

• Its time to have fun, its fun to have time
« Reply #24 on: 16 Jan 2008, 08:33 pm »
I did not bring one home, but heard it at the show. It was wired to their new CDP through its digital coax input. aa They had a cd (can't remember what one) that they had on the Ipod and in disc form for comparison.
All of the people in the room at the time were amazed how good it sounded. My brother and I could not hear the difference, but some said they could here a slight difference, maybe. :roll:
The Wadia guys were saying when they initially set up the room, the dock was playing and everybody kept going to the player to change the song/ disc, to their surprise it was the dock running, not the player.
When I asked how much in the aluminum finish, he said $349, I laughed and said "No, really." I could not believe it either.
The only thing that would be cooler is if they had a wireless attachment, like the MSB dock does, so you can be in your chair, running through your playlists and starting/ stopping when you want, that was the COOOOOlest thing in the Towers, IMHO. He said they are working on it.
They had a really cool flame-painted dock there too, but not for sale. :|

seadogs1

« Reply #25 on: 18 Jan 2008, 03:33 pm »
 aa Zapper7, Do I understand you right, that Wadia is working on a video display remote to use with the iTransport?

Panelman

« Reply #26 on: 19 Jan 2008, 04:04 am »

Does anyone know if there is a way to play hi rez files on the iPod?  I'm wondering about the Linn Records files or 24/96.

Thanks

kyrill

« Reply #27 on: 19 Jan 2008, 09:31 am »
i cant imagine
for that price
that the Wadia dock is reclocking the digital out with a high precision clock to minimize jitter.
that would ask for an expensive very stable power supply in the Wadia too
So it will accept the "default" stability and jitter from the Ipod, which was never designed to be
a high end source

So the whole box function is not to improve or to to alter the quality of the Ipod, "only"
to execute this "code" so the Ipod will release raw digital data and to transport this data
to the Wadia's SPDIF out.

Even so it will sound better when connected to a good DAC than many "mainstream" cdp and transport.
But without further mods really good? How can it sound really good price no object? Depends on yr personal definition of "really good" i think aa

The Computer Audiophile

• Computer Audiophile
« Reply #28 on: 19 Jan 2008, 07:21 pm »

Does anyone know if there is a way to play hi rez files on the iPod?  I'm wondering about the Linn Records files or 24/96.

Thanks

iTunes will not let you transfer 24/96 music from Linn Records or iTrax on to an iPod. I've tried.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #29 on: 19 Jan 2008, 07:48 pm »

iTunes will not let you transfer 24/96 music from Linn Records or iTrax on to an iPod. I've tried.

But it lets you play it off the computer?

dave

zapper7

« Reply #30 on: 20 Jan 2008, 04:29 pm »
Seadogs1,

They said they are trying to find a way to remote the Ipod, I don't think it will be a video remote, it may be more like the MSB one where you can take it from the Dock via IR remote to the dock.

As far as the sound, I was there, heard the almost non-difference, thats about all I can say. :P

Panelman

« Reply #31 on: 20 Jan 2008, 11:58 pm »

Thanks

Chris,

what file format did you use to try to transfer the 24/96 file to the ipod?

Thanks
Sean

smargo

« Reply #32 on: 5 Feb 2008, 05:20 pm »
They're going to sell alot of these:

I just spoke to Keith Richardson about 30 minutes ago - the head of customer service at wadia and he said -
and im paraphrasing

"Pre Orders for the transport will be available directly on their website - starting in maybe a couple of weeks - The actual units will not be available for shipping until the end of march - because of the increased demand"

AphileEarlyAdopter

« Reply #33 on: 5 Feb 2008, 07:39 pm »
I did not bring one home, but heard it at the show. It was wired to their new CDP through its digital coax input.
What CDP is this ? Does it have any jitter reduction built in on its digital input ?

The Computer Audiophile

• Computer Audiophile
« Reply #34 on: 6 Feb 2008, 12:41 am »

Thanks

Chris,

what file format did you use to try to transfer the 24/96 file to the ipod?

Thanks
Sean

24/96 AIFF & WAV. Neither will go onto my iPod.

zapper7

« Reply #35 on: 6 Feb 2008, 12:49 am »
Aphile,
It was the 581 SE, new and shiny :green:
Not sure about the jitter reduction :scratch:, go to the Wadia site.

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #36 on: 6 Feb 2008, 01:15 am »
The Stereophile article has an update that talks about how different iPod versions work with the dock: http://www.stereophile.com/news/010408wadia/
The artical states that G4 Video units support "extended interface mode," and no clickwheel interface. Does anyone know what that means? Is there still a way to select / change musical selections???

Thanks, Kent

michaelv

« Reply #37 on: 11 Apr 2008, 02:11 pm »
Is $349 price at the show only?   www.musicdirect.com  lists it as $379. 

I plan to buy Ipod classic 80GB instead of CDP for living room listening (casual) and Wadia seems to be a good match so that i can use S/PDIF to my Denon 3805.

The Computer Audiophile

• Computer Audiophile
« Reply #38 on: 11 Apr 2008, 02:13 pm »
They made some minor refinements to the iTransport which drove the price up a bit. This is my understanding.

michaelv

« Reply #39 on: 11 Apr 2008, 02:38 pm »
looks like i'm gonna have to make a trip to the dealer to audition. Is Wadia 170 internal DAC good? I assume not compared to mega bucks CDP.