ModWright Modified Transporter - The Wave of the Future!

mcgsxr

Re: ModWright Modified Transporter - The Wave of the Future!
« Reply #480 on: 5 Apr 2009, 10:06 pm »
I don't claim to hear any improvement in sound, but I can vouch that once setup, wired is perfect.

I will also say, that in my system with over 800G of FLAC, wired is WAY faster than wireless.  By this I mean that when I add in a music folder to the playlist with say 100 songs in it, the wireless setup will pause for 5-15 seconds.  The wired system just cranks on the tunes.

I have settled on running the SB3 wired, but have the option to use the wireless bridge function, to get that ethernet connected PC on my wifi, for admin related functions - I run a headless PC with XP Pro on it, as my server for the SB3.

tomm

« Reply #481 on: 5 Apr 2009, 10:13 pm »
I have the TP connects to a wireless network(Trendnet wireless router)  using one IP address and there connects to the Squeeze Center using CAT6A wire with a different IP address.  I have found this to have better sound.  Squeeze Center is running on a laptop, and the .WAV files are on an external 2.5" drive via FW800 ExpressCard.  Very little (hardly) noise & heat.
Even though we are dealing with 0&1s.  Looks like RF/EM noise affect the sound for some reason.  There will be lots of re-transmissions if there are lots of noise around.  The industry is already talking about CAT8 wires which should have more shielding so that there will be less transmission errors hence increase speed.  Different hard drives, enclosures & all cables may produce different sound, even we are dealing with 1&0s.  Don't know why, but they do.

Dimfer

« Reply #482 on: 29 Jul 2009, 03:51 pm »
question, I'd been trying to read up on it but cannot seem to find a report - is anybody using an optimized (best tube combo etc) MWTP with a clock like the Empirical Pace Car 2? I am very curious to find out the result

studley

Re: ModWright Mods clarification
« Reply #483 on: 30 Jul 2009, 08:38 pm »
From what I've understood, the standard and Platinum mods only change the output stage of the Transporter.  To put that another way, if I was going to use the digital output to feed an external DAC, the mods would not be adding anything.

Have I got that right?

modwright

« Reply #484 on: 31 Jul 2009, 05:51 am »
To answer the posts above:

Wired is the most reliable connection as WiFi CAN lead to dropouts, depending on router and environment.  I have not tried different types of network cable but have run 100ft. ethernet cables at shows with no problems at all.

RE tubes, there is a separate thread where this subject has REALLY been covered in detail.  I believe there is a general consensus, but it is still a matter of personal preference.  I would read the tube-rolling thread.

Lastly, if you are using the Transporter with an outboard DAC, our mods would not benefit, this is true.  I would however argue, that with our mods, MOST DACs will not outperform the modified Transporter as a standalone source.  In my experience, one would have to spend $10K+ on an outoard DAC to meet or beat the performance of the modified Transporter.

Thanks to you all.

Sincerely,

Dan W.

Pneumonic

« Reply #485 on: 24 Aug 2009, 07:57 pm »
Lastly, if you are using the Transporter with an outboard DAC, our mods would not benefit, this is true.  I would however argue, that with our mods, MOST DACs will not outperform the modified Transporter as a standalone source.  In my experience, one would have to spend $10K+ on an outoard DAC to meet or beat the performance of the modified Transporter.

Thanks to you all.

Sincerely,

Dan W.

Furthermore, using a separate DAC connected to the Transporter bypasses what I feel is one of the primary attractions of going with the all in one concept of the transporter's design - not having to utilize a seriously compromised SPDIF protocol - thereby removing from the sound quality picture, all of the jitter related issues that accompanies the SPDIF protocol and its associated anti jitter (re-clocking) solutions involving ASRC and PLL.

Berto

« Reply #486 on: 28 Jan 2010, 04:59 pm »
That new Ipad coming out along with Ipeng app, might just be the Ultimate MWTP remote. Still no removable battery, flash support or multitasking but par for the course for Apple. They definitely got the "kool factor" down!

funkmonkey

« Reply #487 on: 26 Jun 2010, 06:50 pm »
May not be the most appropriate place for this question, as it is really more of a general SqueezeBox Server question... 

I have had and have been seriously enjoying my MW Transporter for a couple/few years now, but there has always been something that bugs me about the User Interface on my computer.  How in the heck do you get it to display a full screen version of the currently playing music selection?  Is this even possible?  I have periodically searched the web for an answer and come up empty every time.  I am on a Mac, and when ever I use "Mac" as a keyword iTunes stuff always comes up.  I do not use iTunes with my Transporter, and I don't want to.  So, I thought I would ask here to see if any of you guys might know of a third party plug-in, or a screensaver for a Mac, or something simple that's already built into SqueezeBox Server that I am overlooking that will allow me to have a large version of the now playing artwork displayed on my computer screen [rather than the puny images that are displayed on the Squeeze/Web interface].

Thanks (I hope)

AB

« Reply #488 on: 27 Jun 2010, 09:47 pm »
Have you searched through this forum?

http://forums.slimdevices.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4

I'm looking for an app to track player history - what songs were played and when. Statistics would be fun too.

I'll keep a look out for your cover art screen as I dig through all that over there.

funkmonkey

« Reply #489 on: 28 Jun 2010, 01:01 am »
I have but no luck.  I use a couple of plug-ins called Track Stat, and Dynamic Playlist (http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/PluginsAudio)to play tracks that haven't been played yet.  I am sure you could view the stats somehow but I have not tried to yet.

AB

« Reply #490 on: 29 Jun 2010, 11:39 pm »
Did you look at Custom Browse?

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Custom_Browse_plugin

Maybe it could be configured to display only album art?

funkmonkey

« Reply #491 on: 30 Jun 2010, 02:05 am »
AB- I downloaded it and will give it a shot a bit later when I get some time...  thanks

guilux93

« Reply #492 on: 22 Jul 2010, 10:46 am »
Hello,

Is there someone here, living in France having the modwright transporter ?
I have a stock transporter, and am looking for someone living near Paris,
who would share his upgrade experience, and maybe let me listen to this jewel !
(has far as I could read)

thanks !

audiosceptic

« Reply #493 on: 7 Aug 2010, 07:39 pm »
I had my Truth Mod performed on my Transporter in January, 2008. Since then I've been listening to it exclusively through the balanced XLR connections. Today when I was listening I forgot to turn on the tube output section by using the switch in the back of the Transporter. I was surprised to still hear music coming out of the XLR connections on the back of the Transporter. Turning the switch on the back off or on had no effect on the output coming out of the XLR connections. I connected my amp via the RCA connections and discovered they are effected by the position of the switch on the back. When the switch is down or off, no sound comes out of the RCA connections.

Is the Modwright Truth Mod only for the RCA connections?

audiosceptic

« Reply #494 on: 8 Aug 2010, 03:58 am »
Never mind. I forgot I had connected my preamp via the digital coax output from the Transporter and was listening to the digital instead of the analog.

Good to know the digital out works when the tubes are off.

jriggy

« Reply #495 on: 15 Aug 2010, 02:01 pm »
Im ready to enter the power cord game with my system I have been putting together over the last couple years and wanted to start with my MWTP... Is it digital or is it analog!?!?!  :duh: :lol:
Does anyone have any suggestions on PC for this unit? I dont want to break the bank, but also do not want one that will add any high fq exaggeration.

Any suggestions on where to start?

Thanks!

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #496 on: 15 Aug 2010, 02:05 pm »
Im ready to enter the power cord game with my system I have been putting together over the last couple years and wanted to start with my MWTP... Is it digital or is it analog!?!?!  :duh: :lol:
Does anyone have any suggestions on PC for this unit? I dont want to break the bank, but also do not want one that will add any high fq exaggeration.

Any suggestions on where to start?

Thanks!

Kaplan Cable.

I am using the 3 amp conditioner cord with a copper plug.  I really think it is a good match with the ModWright Transporter and helped take it up a notch.

George

jriggy

« Reply #497 on: 15 Aug 2010, 09:03 pm »
Thank you zybar,
 Hopefully the HE's will do. Because that is over what I would prefer to spend but Im willing to try a couple out. One for the TP and one for my pre...

Ern Dog

« Reply #498 on: 28 Sep 2010, 06:29 am »
Hello,
This is my first post.  I have 2 Modwright products so far (SWL 9.0 Preamp and tube oppo 83) and I'm considering getting the Modwright Transporter.  I'm not very computer savy and so my question is about whether I have the necessary hardware.

I recently purchased a Macbook Pro and it comes equipped with Airport, which I'm using for wireless internet.  I have a D-Link router that is connected to satellite internet.  Now, my question is would I need to purchase another router for the Transporter or am I good to go right now?  Could I be using my Macbook for wireless web surfing while using it to control the Transport simultaneously?

I'm thinking it would be smartest to get an external hard drive to store all my music instead of using my laptop memory.  Once I get all my cd's ripped to this external hard drive, could I just connect that external drive to the Transporter and take my computer out of the loop?  Then I could connect this external drive to the transporter via ethernet cable and I wouldn't need to use the wifi feature of the transporter.  Am I on the right track here?

This is probably a long shot, but is there anyone close to Southern Oregon (Ashland) that is using a Modwright Transporter that I could see and hear it in operation.

Thanks a bunch!
Ernie

Philistine

« Reply #499 on: 28 Sep 2010, 12:01 pm »
Ernie, welcome to to AC and the MW circle.

When you talk about AirPort I'm assuming you're talking about the AirPort utility built into Snow Leopard, and not the AirPort Express or Extreme routers....

To operate the TP you have to use a Mac or PC in the loop running the Squeezebox Server application, you cannot (to the best of my knowledge) connect a hard drive directly to the TP.  Consequently you need a computer in the loop, and your Macbook will work fine for this.  You will have to connect the external drive to the Macbook or the D-Link router, if the D-Link supports this.  I believe the Macbook has more than enough horse power to allow you to surf the web and run a TP.