ModWright Modified Transporter - The Wave of the Future!

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: ModWright Modified Transporter - The Wave of the Future!
« Reply #460 on: 31 Mar 2009, 03:20 am »
My bad. You're right...but my TP doesn't seem to use Sox. In my case I use an external program to resample anyway.

I'll look into it when I get back home later this week. Again, sorry for the bad info.

Mr P

« Reply #461 on: 31 Mar 2009, 11:44 pm »
My bad. You're right...but my TP doesn't seem to use Sox. In my case I use an external program to resample anyway.

I'll look into it when I get back home later this week. Again, sorry for the bad info.

No problem.  I am only trying to understand the capabilities of the hardware and software.  I am interested in the external program you use to perform the resampling.  If you have time when you get I'd appreciate a few details. aa aa

Audioclyde

« Reply #462 on: 5 Apr 2009, 01:00 am »
Any thoughts on sound quality differences in using the ethernet connection to stream to the Transporter, vs. completely wireless?''

Thanks!

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #463 on: 5 Apr 2009, 01:08 am »
Any thoughts on sound quality differences in using the ethernet connection to stream to the Transporter, vs. completely wireless?''

Thanks!

Try it for yourself and report back.

Hint, hint...I am now wired!

George

Audioclyde

« Reply #464 on: 5 Apr 2009, 03:20 am »
Since I got my MW Transporter in Feb. I have always been wired, as I was under the impression (I'm not sure what led me to think that; can't recall if I say a thread/comment along those lines or not), but with the demise of my Music Vault I am now just streaming from my laptop on a temporary basis.  Tonight for convenience I tried it "wireless" and was impressed with the sound.  I will give it some more comparison and see if I can determine a preference  :)!

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #465 on: 5 Apr 2009, 02:16 pm »
This topic came up earlier i believe.  I posted that when I went to wired (a year ago) I perceived better sonics, more weight, more slam, more detail.  Don't ask me why.   :D

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #466 on: 5 Apr 2009, 02:31 pm »
This topic came up earlier i believe.  I posted that when I went to wired (a year ago) I perceived better sonics, more weight, more slam, more detail.  Don't ask me why.   :D

I am guessing that disabling the wi-fi is the primary reason for the positive effect of going with the ethernet connection.  Maybe we can get one of the more technically skilled people out there to try a few things on the test bench and report back?

George

GBB

« Reply #467 on: 5 Apr 2009, 02:43 pm »
I am guessing that disabling the wi-fi is the primary reason for the positive effect of going with the ethernet connection.  Maybe we can get one of the more technically skilled people out there to try a few things on the test bench and report back?

George,
I think that you're probably right.  I did an experiment where I ran my squeezebox off of an ethernet wireless bridge (sometimes called a wireless gaming adapter).  Something like the D-link DGL-3420 available over on amazon http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1173256&CatId=1594 although mine is a linksys model that's no longer made.  I heard an improvement in sound quality similar to what others reported when they switched to ethernet, so I suspect that shutting off the internal wireless card somehow is improving things.

---Gary

Philistine

« Reply #468 on: 5 Apr 2009, 02:50 pm »
Well, if you ask this question on the SlimDevices forum they'll tell you its all 1's and 0's and there's no difference between wired and wireless.
They planned to try and measure the difference as part of the "Myth Buster" tests, but these stopped when issues in the software/methodology were identified.  Consequently the SD empirical route is currently/indefinitely on hold.

I've tried wireless and wired (via a Home Plug), I did this as a test prior to re-wiring for ethernet which is going to be a PITA.  Based on this I marginally prefer the wired option sonically, and will eventually implement ethernet - this decision is also driven by ethernet being more robust than wireless.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #469 on: 5 Apr 2009, 03:16 pm »
 :oops:  Disabling wi-fi.  Hmm..is that something we need to do actively or are you saying that the TP does that automatically when we do the setup to wired?  I've never gone in and disabled anything.  But I stand by my comment that wired sounds better.   :)

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #470 on: 5 Apr 2009, 03:56 pm »
:oops:  Disabling wi-fi.  Hmm..is that something we need to do actively or are you saying that the TP does that automatically when we do the setup to wired?  I've never gone in and disabled anything.  But I stand by my comment that wired sounds better.   :)

I was guessing that the wi-fi doesn't get turned on when you select ethernet during setup.  Of course, I could be totally wrong... :o

That's why I was suggesting that somebody take some measurements.

I am sure there is logical and scientific reason why things sound better via ethernet.

George

mikel51

« Reply #471 on: 5 Apr 2009, 04:23 pm »
I have my transporter wired to the computer that serves up the music, but I use the transporter wireless as the bridge to my network.  It turns out that the transporter has a much better connection to the wireless network than my home theater computer does, even with an external antenna located next to the transporter.....I'm not sure why.

I do get better and more consistent sound with the wired connection, but than when I use the server built into my NAS (where I back up my music).  I assumed that the wired connection was simply more robust and has fewer micro dropouts.  Certainly, when using wireless, I get occassional noticeable sound dropouts.  This never happens with the wired ethernet connection.

Philistine

« Reply #472 on: 5 Apr 2009, 05:12 pm »

I was guessing that the wi-fi doesn't get turned on when you select ethernet during setup.  Of course, I could be totally wrong... :o

That's why I was suggesting that somebody take some measurements.

I am sure there is logical and scientific reason why things sound better via ethernet.

George

There was a thread on the SD forum that claimed WiFi was automatically disabled when ethernet was used.  If this is correct it's probably the most plausible explanation?

Marco Prozzo

« Reply #473 on: 5 Apr 2009, 05:14 pm »
I have my transporter wired to the computer that serves up the music, but I use the transporter wireless as the bridge to my network.  It turns out that the transporter has a much better connection to the wireless network than my home theater computer does, even with an external antenna located next to the transporter.....I'm not sure why.

I do get better and more consistent sound with the wired connection, but than when I use the server built into my NAS (where I back up my music).  I assumed that the wired connection was simply more robust and has fewer micro dropouts.  Certainly, when using wireless, I get occassional noticeable sound dropouts.  This never happens with the wired ethernet connection.

Among the many digital readouts there is one for "Signal Strength" that will give you a very exact reading of how strong your signal is.  It should be up in the 90's ideally.  If it is down low that may be the cause of your dropouts.  The other that comes to mind is be heavy network use at the same time you are streaming music.  If the signal is weak in spite of your added antenna, you may want to consider adding a repeater, like an Airport Express (set to "extend network), in the same room as your transporter.  My server computer is in my basement two floors below my Transporter.  Without a repeater my signal strength is around 68% and on rare occasions I did get some dropouts and strange behavior.  With the AE in the same room as the Transporter the strength is around 98% and I never have any dropouts or strange behavior.  You could also consider going to a broadcast device that has greater throughput if you are using an older device (an 802.11g router can be replaced with an 802.11n for much better throughput).  

It's still worth comparing wired with wireless, but this may help your wireless connection.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #474 on: 5 Apr 2009, 05:23 pm »
Marco,
I think we need to split this discussion into two issues: dropouts (very audible and problematic) and sound quality (not a dropout issue).  George and I are both saying that audio quality (given no dropouts or other stream interruptions) is improved going wired vs wireless.  If you have dropouts you have bigger (simpler; not easier per se, but certainly simpler) issues to solve.

Marco Prozzo

« Reply #475 on: 5 Apr 2009, 05:39 pm »
Marco,
I think we need to split this discussion into two issues: dropouts (very audible and problematic) and sound quality (not a dropout issue).  George and I are both saying that audio quality (given no dropouts or other stream interruptions) is improved going wired vs wireless.  If you have dropouts you have bigger (simpler; not easier per se, but certainly simpler) issues to solve.

I agree, Ted.  I was not trying to address sound quality in my suggestions, which is exactly why I qualified the post at the end that way.   I made the suggestions I did because it seemed the poster was having problems with that issue. 

Ted makes a good point though in case I was not clear - my suggestions regarding dropouts absolutely do not address the sound quality issue of wireless vs. wired.  As I said, it is still worth comparing the two methods of connection yourself.  Thanks, Ted.

mikel51

« Reply #476 on: 5 Apr 2009, 07:35 pm »
and I guess my point was that I have always assumed that there were "micro dropouts" that might not be as audible as a macro dropout, but could affect sound quality.

Marco Prozzo

« Reply #477 on: 5 Apr 2009, 07:50 pm »
and I guess my point was that I have always assumed that there were "micro dropouts" that might not be as audible as a macro dropout, but could affect sound quality.

That's a good question.  As I understand it the zeros and ones are delivered to a buffer in packets - I'm pretty sure it is either on or off, yes or no.  I'm not sure though what happens if one or more of the zeros or ones are incorrect.  Anyone?  :scratch:

NickS

« Reply #478 on: 5 Apr 2009, 08:22 pm »
Empirically, I would have to agree with the folks on the SD forum whose position is that “a digital stream is a digital stream” no matter how it is conveyed.  Ideally, signal buffering within the TP should create equality between different transmission modalities.

It was fascinating to read an early review that proclaimed one of the TP’s major advantages was its wireless capability.  The reviewer felt this to be the purest and most desirable transfer method owing to the elimination of all electrical nasties associated with wires. His review suggested an improvement in quality with taking network wire out of the equation.

That said, my experience led me to use an Ethernet connection to my MWTP.  When I initially set up through my wireless network, I experienced dropouts now and again, and the microwave in the kitchen effectively shut down transmission when turned on.  I began to wonder… “if the microwave is playing hell with the signal then what else is?”

Plugged in the Ethernet cable and never looked back.  I honestly can’t tell if it sounds better than wireless but it certainly doesn’t sound worse.

funkmonkey

« Reply #479 on: 5 Apr 2009, 09:39 pm »
I'm with most who have posted before about the wireless/wired connection.  First set-up was wireless but due to a old and dying wireless router I got frequent dropouts that proved to be more than I could tolerate, so I went to an ethernet connection (and replaced the old router eventually).  I have had absolutely zero problems since then, and have no desire to even experiment with the wireless connection on the new router.  I couldn't say that I have heard any sonic differences or improvements since going wired, but I can absolutely say that the wired connection is infinitely more reliable (in my set-up).