Search for an Integrated Amplifier

denjo

Re: YBA Integrated Amplifier
« Reply #20 on: 15 Jan 2008, 06:27 am »
TheChairGuy wrote:
....it's not the sheer amount of boxes that define your enjoyment of good sound.  It's the selection of those boxes carefully that does it. YBA is an inspired brand.

Hi John (TheChairGuy)
Absolutely right there! I have a deeper respect for quality integrateds now!

Russell Dawkins wrote:
Yves Bernard Andre also was the one who said (in a personal telephone call) to listen with the top of the amp off, if possible, as it sounded better.

Hi Russell
Thanks for the thumbs up! You have shared an interesting anecdote about YBA's suggestion to listen with the lid open. I now recall why the 1st generation of YBA Integre (single transformers) have a simple toggle on the lid to quickly remove the lid but this feature was not carried to the later models. The Sugdens were very sweet and reminded me of Musical Fidelity Antony Michaelson's A1 integrated amplifiers but unfortunately their modest power makes them unsuitable for my Thiel speakers. Thanks for sharing!

fly_fish_nz wrote:
I've been looking into the passion series myself, and wondered whether, but was not able to confirm that the the Passion 100, 200, and 300 are the same amplifiers except for output. 

Hi Chris

Yes, the Passion 100, 200 and 300 are basically the same amplifier save for the power. From my understanding, they all use active preamplification (based on the YBA 3 separate preamps) and just larger transformers (and heatsinks). So, musically, they should have the same sonic signature with the larger Passions having that bit more control over low impedance speakers. My dealer was saying that the strong Euro has detracted many customers from the YBA marque while the more affordable Ayre is very popular but is, in his view, not as musical as the YBA, especially in the all-important midrange. As for the price, I am sorry but I don't know of any US price listings and can only say that the Singaporean price roughly converts to USD 8,300 for the topflight Passion 300. I know its a lot of greenbacks for a one box integrated but I can honestly say that the Passion 100 can fool many into believing that they were listening to a pre+power combo!

One other thing: the Passion 100 runs very cool! It is barely lukewarm even after a long listening session!

Best Regards
Dennis

denjo

Re: YBA or LFD Integrated Amplifier
« Reply #21 on: 10 Feb 2008, 05:58 am »
Just came back from a listening session of the LFD MI100 Integrated amplifier at my friend's place! I came away very impressed with the British amplifier. Only a month or so before, if someone were to ask me if I knew the LFDs, I would have responded with "Pardon me? Come again?" The MI100 is a mono construction in one chassis and is built in the best British tradition of "substance is more important than form". It looks quite nondescript at first blush, with looks that grow on you as you become enamoured with the sound (I mean musicality). Rated at 90w into 8 ohms, it has no balance, no tone, no HT, no pre-out, no remote. What it is has is a sweet midrange and PRATS about like a pedigreed pre and power combo costing many times more! With just a short impression, it lacks nothing that the YBA provides (musicality, emotion) but has bass which the YBA lacks (often described lean). In the past week or so, I have been researching about this "obscure" brand and find that it is the brainchild and craftmanship of two gentleman, Prof Malcolm Hawkesford and dr Richard Bews. In fact, I am told the units are hand assembled by Dr Bews, making it the most costly $/per hour amplifier on planet earth!!

Sam Tellig reviewed the 65 watter sibling, the Integrated Zero Mk III and threw caution in the wind by declaring it the "best sounding solid-state integrated amplifier" he had ever heard! (Stereophile February 2008). Certainlyhigh praise for someone who counts the YBA Passion amongst the very best!

Seems to me that the LFD Zero Mk III will be the next buzzword for 2008! Judging by the sound quality of the bigger brother, I will not be surprised!
« Last Edit: 10 Feb 2008, 07:48 am by denjo »

Les Lammers

« Reply #22 on: 10 Feb 2008, 01:37 pm »
For anyone out there who, like me, wants to simplify his music system for 2008, and has been thinking of "downgrading" to integrateds, I urge you to put the YBA Passion on your list. The Passion 100 has been playing 24/7 since Friday last week and, except for a brief period when I swopped back to my pre and power, has provided me with a very engaging musical experience without much regret that I was losing one item of equipment from my rig! I have hooked it up to my SB3 (with DAC duties from Altmann and Paradisea), tuner, TV and Turntable. The Passion did not come with a remote (which would have been very convenient and allowed me to configure HT bypass and memory settings for the volume) but was nevertheless a doddle to use. There was a slight hum with no source and volume up but I soon traced it to my cable TV setup box and with this disengaged, the Passion was eerily quiet. Controls were easy to use - left for source (relay) and right for volume. The volume had to be turned several full rotations before it registered a full 1 dB change and there were no indications on the front faceplate to indicate volume level. There is a lit "YBA Passion" fascia in the centre of the faceplate which only goes off when the amplifier is on "mute". Although the lights are not annoyingly bright, a switch to dim or turn it off would be a nice feature. The source selector clicks very positively and smoothly when a source is chosen. The front plate has the thickest aluminium that I have ever seen in an amplifier that small and my mind wonders if the fastidious Yves Bernard Andre put it there to control resonance rather than for the looks. The charateristic tripod legs look sturdy enough and has a rubber padding on the base cylinder for extra resonance control. The speaker terminals are offside rather than symmetrical, suggesting this was the route for shortest path. Unfortunately, my silver Slinkylinks SC were inches too short at one end to reach the speaker binding post. I chose the large speaker connectors for maximum damping since I know 90 watts (4 ohms) into my Thiels isn't much. There are female connectors for biamping. A pre-out was a nice feature which line fed my excellent ACI Force XL subs but was not used because I found the bass adequate as-is without seismic help from my subs.

The Passion 100 is defintely different sounding than its predecesssor, the DT. Same wattage but it seems the DT has passive pre while the Passion's pre is active. Living with a truly transparent pre as John Chapman's TAP, I found the DT more transparent and "leaner" than the Passion. I did not know why at first but now know that the DT's passive pre was largely responsible for the familiar "see through" transparency and purity which passives triumph over active preamplification. The Passion sounded very much more powerful and had greater bass punch and slam than the DT. So while the Passion sacrifices some transparency, it makes this up with better bass and LF. After extended listening, the Passion shares that same quality that has made YBA gear famous - "True Emotion". These are two words YBA uses which well describes my experience with the Passion and the DT. If I could use an analogy, listening to the Passion is like appreciating a Monet or listening to Debussy. If one looks closely at a Monet, it is just a mass of colours and brush strokes. But if one stands back to view a Monet, one sees the painting as a pleasing whole. Listening to the Passion forces you to listen to the whole, but gives you the liberty to concentrate on a part if you so wish. But, the focus is on the big picture. This made my listening sessions very enjoyable as the Passion drew me into the music. The German word "gestalt" best describes the point I am making.

Whatever the source I selected, I was less critical, less analytical and conversely more relaxed and unconstrained. I think this is what audiophiles mean when they say a component is non-fatiguing. I felt no urge to get up from my sweet spot to tweak this or that. It sounded good as-is!

The time has come for me to return the Passion 100 and make a choice. At this point, I am inclined to just go for it and get the Passion. End of story. I hope there is an AudioCircler out there who is in the same boat as I am, hoping to simplify his music system for 2008 and redefining his goal to focus on the music with a good quality integrated which hopefully will end his audio nervosa! If he is, please share your thoughts too!

Best Regards
Dennis

Ps, Merle: if you are still visiting AC I must thank you for your inspiring post when you simplified your system by going for Rega. Your post planted the seeds for me to simplify my system too! I have heard the Rega system (minus speakers) and found the Mira very musical indeed!

I did the same thing...sort of. After 14 years of SET's I dumbed down to a Shindo Aurieges/Montille that was traded in to upgrade. The Montille is a compact 15 watt EL84 amp and I am just listening to music and not thinking in Audiophool terms anymore. I know someone that did a re-size and is quite happy with a Leben CS600 integrated. There are products that deliver long term satisfaction and enjoyment.  :thumb:

denjo

« Reply #23 on: 10 Feb 2008, 01:52 pm »
Les
Thanks for sharing! I am glad that you have finally settled down to something you like that allows you to just enjoy the music. The Shindo Montille looks like an honest piece of equipment. "Less is more!"

Best Regards
Dennis

Les Lammers

« Reply #24 on: 10 Feb 2008, 04:25 pm »
I bought a demo Monbrison pre first. The dealer e-mails me 3 weeks later that he has a Cortese amp that was traded in. I buy it. With the 47 Labs it was the best sound *I* ever heard. I plug my TT, Scout w/Dyna 10X, into the pre and it sounds...well....bad. Shindo voices his phono stage
for his Ortophon cartridge. The solution is more $$$. So I sold the Monbrison/Cortese/47 Labs and put $10K into the bank and now have a very nice sounding rig that I can live with for a very long time. The Montille is very good amplifier, true to the music and really responds to rolling NOS EL84's. Plus it and Aurieges run MUCH cooler that the bigger Shindo. And it really gets your toes tapping. This pursuit is really about the music. I would have bought an integrated if Shindo offered one.
« Last Edit: 10 Feb 2008, 05:01 pm by Les Lammers »

Les Lammers

« Reply #25 on: 11 Feb 2008, 12:17 pm »
Les
Thanks for sharing! I am glad that you have finally settled down to something you like that allows you to just enjoy the music. The Shindo Montille looks like an honest piece of equipment. "Less is more!"

Best Regards
Dennis

Dennis,

The more I live with the Montille..the more *I* like it. It is just a music making machine. Maybe not not the ultimate in 'high end' but it is refined and boogies at the same time. What the Shindo gear does more than anything else *I* have ever owned is make all recordings sound good. The best sound steller...the rest sound damn good. The Montille just makes you want to get up and dance. This amp will probably end up in a thrift store because I will never
sell it.

Les

denjo

Re: Integrated Amplifier - Leben CS 600
« Reply #26 on: 18 Feb 2008, 02:31 pm »
My search for an integrated continues ... thus far, I have auditioned the Passion 100, LFD MI100 (dual mono) and today I heard the Leben CS600. While the YBA and LFD are SS, the Leben is tube. Although the speakers paired with the Leben (Totem) was IMHO not a match for me, and despite, the Leben sounded extremely musical, in a way that the YBA and LFD can only emulate but not match. It was a wonderful musical experience, certainly the best of the three I have thus far auditioned. it even has a pre-in which would allow me to connect my beloved Bent Audio TAP and use the Leben as a power amplifier. Does anyone know what Leben's amplifier gain specs read? The delaer even turned down the volume and activated the bass boost, which was a nice feature especially for late night listening that would not intrude. The retro design also appealed greatly to me, reminding me of an integrated Luxman which I owned many aeons ago!

But, at the end of the day its the music that matters most and the Leben is definitely the most musically satisfying of the three, with the YBA second and the LFD third.

Best Regards
Dennis

Les Lammers

« Reply #27 on: 18 Feb 2008, 04:44 pm »
Dennis,

e-mail J. Halpern at Tone Imports or Matt Rotunda at Pitch Perfect Audio about the Leben's gain specs. Greg is using NOS tubes in his and
is as happy as a clam.

Les

TheChairGuy

« Reply #28 on: 18 Feb 2008, 05:19 pm »

But, at the end of the day its the music that matters most and the Leben is definitely the most musically satisfying of the three, with the YBA second and the LFD third.

Best Regards
Dennis

Sorta' same thing here....had several wonderful SS amps here, bought hi-quality tube amps, and they've been banished for 2 years now. It may be nothing more than 'coloration' that we call musicality....but it's what keep same happy each day (and I suspect, you will, too).

Enjoy - John

Les Lammers

« Reply #29 on: 18 Feb 2008, 06:41 pm »

Best Regards
Dennis

Sorta' same thing here....had several wonderful SS amps here, bought hi-quality tube amps, and they've been banished for 2 years now. It may be nothing more than 'coloration' that we call musicality....but it's what keep same happy each day (and I suspect, you will, too).

Enjoy - John

Agreed, I have had things so transparent that half the music I have....or more... was unlistenable.....medoicre recording sounded awful...now they are quite listenable. The great recordings are stellar. Gimme musicality any day. I actually use my rig more now and enjoy it more than ever.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #30 on: 18 Feb 2008, 08:02 pm »
 :thumb: Les

I'm not one to say 'tubes rule!' etc, but they work for me.  CD/Redbook is virtually (not totally, of course) unlistenable to me without them.

denjo

Leben CS600
« Reply #31 on: 22 Feb 2008, 07:22 am »
I am now the proud owner of the Leben CS600 integrated amplifier (photo below) which I paired with my vintage Rogers LS3/5a (15 ohm), taking advantage of the Leben's speaker impedance switch. This marks the end of my search for an integrated amplifier as part of my overall objective to "downgrade" and simplify my system. Right out of the box, the Leben is sounding very musical! :D

Thanks to all who encouraged me along this journey!

Best Regards
Dennis

Zero

Re: Search for an Integrated Amplifier - YBA, LFD and Leben
« Reply #32 on: 22 Feb 2008, 07:40 am »
Congrats on you're new Leben! I'm jealous.  That is one of three integrated amplifiers that I want in my digs.  Enjoy!

denjo

« Reply #33 on: 22 Feb 2008, 09:14 pm »
Thanks very much Zero!

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #34 on: 22 Feb 2008, 09:26 pm »
Happy listening Dennis....... :beer: :dance:

denjo

« Reply #35 on: 22 Feb 2008, 11:30 pm »
Hi Chris
Thanks very much! Yes, I am very happy listening to this supremely musical integrated. Thanks for your helpfulness!

Best Regards
Dennis

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #36 on: 22 Feb 2008, 11:47 pm »
Dennis....I believe tvad4/Grant is also a Leben CS600 owner. 8)

dspringham

« Reply #37 on: 23 Feb 2008, 01:35 am »
Dennis,

Does this mean that you will be parting with your Bent Audio TAP?

Dave

kbuzz3

« Reply #38 on: 23 Feb 2008, 01:48 am »
nice choice!!!! I have used a modded vintage sherwood tube integrated with my 15 ohm ls45a's off and on for years. The tube integrated with that speaker is a wonderful and simple way to enjoy the music!!!

Ive been eyeing the leben for a while.....but i think my next move may be a SB, Sonos or transporter....

denjo

« Reply #39 on: 25 Feb 2008, 06:08 am »

Does this mean that you will be parting with your Bent Audio TAP?

Dave

Hi Dave
No, I like the Bent Audio TAP too much to part with it! The Leben CS600 has a "pre-in" which allows me to connect the TAP while using the amplifier section of the Leben. I use this feature for my TV audio! Somehow, the transparency of the TAP is best used for TV or movies.

Hi kbuzz3
Thanks for your post!
Yes, I agree with you about the Rogers LS3/5a when mated with a tube integrated. The Leben CS600 is a wonderful amplifier which I was hoping to pair with Harbeth Super 5s but with sound this good through my Rogers, I sometimes wonder if its worth moving up to bigger speakers!

Best Regards
Dennis