Classical Recommendations For A Rock/Jazz Convert

John151

Classical Recommendations For A Rock/Jazz Convert
« on: 31 Dec 2007, 12:27 am »
I used to have a few classical LPs back in the day (Vivaldi, Brahms), but have not listened to anything classical in decades.   Getting borred with my current collection, and looking to branch out a bit.  Do you have any CD recommendations in the classical genre that would be good for a newbie (er, ignoramous)?   Looking for something that is very well recorded, an blows your hair back a bit. 

Thanks in advance.......
« Last Edit: 31 Dec 2007, 12:57 am by John151 »

robertwb

Re: Classical Recommendations For A Rock/Jazz Convert
« Reply #1 on: 31 Dec 2007, 12:45 am »
Gustav Holst-The planets

one of the more exciting classical pieces I've heard.

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #2 on: 31 Dec 2007, 01:03 am »
I used to have a few classical LPs back in the day (Vivaldi, Brahms), but have not listened to anything classical in decades.   Getting borred with my current collection, and looking to branch out a bit.  Do you have any CD recommendations in the classical genre that would be good for a newbie (er, ignoramous)?   Looking for something that is very well recorded, an blows your hair back a bit. 

Thanks in advance.......

You'd not go wrong starting with a Reference Recording 30th Anniversary sampler disc.  Because it's a sampler, so it's cheap, $9.98.  Of course, it's cost you may be $3 shipping.  It's very well-recorded as usual.  Go to their website, their recordings are generally well-recorded.  It's so broad, hard to begin where to recommend classical recordings.

Scott F.

« Reply #3 on: 31 Dec 2007, 01:24 am »
The 1812 is always fun when you play it really loud  :green:
Tchaikovsky, Erich Kunzel, and Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra on Telarc

For something much slower but WAY more emotional, try Yo Yo Ma and Emanuel Ax's releases of Brahms Cello Sonatas or the Rachmaninoff, Prokofiev, Cello Sonatas. Both of these Ma recordings are phenomenal.

TONEPUB

« Reply #4 on: 31 Dec 2007, 01:30 am »
Start reading our "Classical A-Z" columns that started in issue 3.
I was never much of a classical music listener, and that's why
we started this column.  Lot's of good stuff that you will like.

I have gravitated to Shostakovich and BAX.  Lots of dynamics
and a lot of it is kind of scary, like the music they play before
the monster comes out of the closet!

Enjoy!

PS:  Quick tip to buying used classical LP's and CD's,
Tell the store owner "No one listens to classical music
any more" and offer him a buck or two for everything
you can put your hands on.  Works every time!

John151

« Reply #5 on: 1 Jan 2008, 07:54 pm »
Thanks for the excellent replies!  One CD on order, and researching more.  Great stuff. 

Randy

Wayner

« Reply #7 on: 1 Jan 2008, 08:58 pm »
How about a modern American Composer, Aaron Copland? Billy the Kid and Rodeo are a couple of my favorites. You get high impact dynamics with memories of a young America, have your hanky ready.

Wayner

BrianM

« Reply #8 on: 1 Jan 2008, 09:00 pm »
Looking for something that is very well recorded, an blows your hair back a bit.

As mentioned, Reference Recordings does a great job with the "sonic spectacular" big orchestral music.

I would start with these:

http://www.amazon.com/Respighi-Belkis-Queen-Sheba-Ottorino/dp/B00005OAD4/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1199221359&sr=8-8

http://www.amazon.com/Rachmaninoff-Symphonic-Dances-Vocalise-Etudes-tableaux/dp/B00005QD5Z/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1199221458&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Rimsky-Korsakov-SCHEHERAZADE-Nikolai/dp/B00001X52M/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1199221523&sr=1-3

which should keep you busy for hours.  N.B. the recordings won't be *fully* appreciated unless you have true full range speakers (which I do not currently, but used to) as they are most definitely full range and begging to be played at unreasonably loud levels.  It's just possible the final track of the Respighi disc will teach you to be a little afraid of pushing your system beyond its limits.  'Tis quite a mayhem of sound...

BrianM

« Reply #9 on: 1 Jan 2008, 09:15 pm »
How about a modern American Composer, Aaron Copland? Billy the Kid and Rodeo are a couple of my favorites. You get high impact dynamics with memories of a young America, have your hanky ready.

Yes indeed.  Thinking of "young America" don't overlook some of the "vintage" stereo recordings from the 50s by labels like RCA and Mercury, which can have shockingly good SQ.  So lots to pick through in RCA's "Living Stereo" series as well as Mercury's "Living Presence."  E.g., anything by the Chicago Symphony Orchestra conducted by Fritz Reiner.  As for Billy the Kid and Rodeo, I like this old one on RCA:

http://www.amazon.com/Aaron-Copland-Billy-Rodeo-Canyon/dp/B000003FGZ/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1199222613&sr=1-6

Also, the Chesky label has done some fine remasterings of older classical recordings; check into them as well...

Randy

« Reply #10 on: 1 Jan 2008, 11:38 pm »

Try Dvorak's four most popular symphonies in what are considered superb performances. Warhorses, but wonderful music.

http://www.amazon.com/Dvor%C3%A1k-Symphonies-Nos-World-Netherlands/dp/B000060K6D/ref=sr_1_28?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1199230980&sr=8-28

rabpaul

« Reply #11 on: 2 Jan 2008, 02:28 am »
Try Dvorak's four most popular symphonies in what are considered superb performances. Warhorses, but wonderful music.
I second that and also recommend Symphony No 4.
http://www.amazon.com/Dvor%C3%A1k-Symphony-No-4-Noon-Witch/dp/B000004ANM/ref=sr_1_59?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1199241042&sr=1-59
This is a wild west sounding piece.

Gordy

« Reply #12 on: 2 Jan 2008, 03:11 am »
Naxos Records has a nice educational section on their site... http://www.naxos.com/education/introduction.asp

richidoo

« Reply #13 on: 2 Jan 2008, 03:21 am »
BrianM got it right with his first choice. That Respighi record won a grammy for best classical recording. It will blow your hair back, and is one of Reference's best. One of my very best recordings. The sampler is great too.

Sarah Chang's new Vivaldi 4 Seasons on EMI Classics is also a killer, in a more subtle, but still very accessible vein. When you see her picture on the album you will want a pin up and every CD she has made. ;)

Prokofiev 1st and 5th on Telarc is big, fun and accessible.

Beethoven symphonic cycle on BIS with Minnesota/Vanska are great. 1 and 6 just came out. The 9th is awesome. The reason CDs play for 74 minutes.

Lenny Bernsteins epochs on Columbia are all great. Dvorak 9th, Copeland, Beethoven, Sibelius. Sound is less than Reference Recordings standards, and even sucks at times, but there is no conductor like Leonard Bernstein, it will always be entertaining and money well spent. Zillions printed, look on Amazon marketplace for used stuff reeeealy cheap.

Enjoy and let your imagination lead you. It is an awesome journey. I ended up in chamber music, not hair blowing, but intensely satisfying due to the exquisite tone of the acoustic instruments recorded so well. Beethoven complete quartets by Prazak Quartet is my current fav.  Be careful though, listening to music with absolute tone will give you the itch to upgrade to get closer to perfection. Read J Gordon Holt's editorial 2 issues back in Stereophile.
Rich

SET Man

« Reply #14 on: 2 Jan 2008, 03:31 am »
Naxos Records has a nice educational section on their site... http://www.naxos.com/education/introduction.asp

Hey!

That's very nice Gordy. Definitely a good read for everyone. Talking about NAXOS. I picked up two of their box set... the first was "A-Z of Opera" of which is excellent both in music selection and very educational booklet.

The second set I picked up recently is "A-Z of Classical Music" not as fun as the first for me but very good still. :D

For $10 a set it is hard to pass up and the recording sound very good too. :D

Anyway,  I'm not a "classical buff" but do like some classical works. One of my favorite classical work is by Carl  Orff's "Carmina Burana. I have this on Telarc CD. And a few years back I had a chance to see this perform live at the Carnegie Hall... if I remembered correctly by Canadian Symphony Orchestra. It was wonderful! :D I should find time to go to see this kind of performances  more. :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #15 on: 2 Jan 2008, 03:35 am »
Rich....

It will blow your hair back....

What if you don't have any hair.... :scratch: :jester:

Here's a link to two past threads that discussed Classical picks....some of Tyson's links to the Cds have expired...Tower Records....but still some good info... :thumb:

Links in my post...

jimdgoulding

« Reply #16 on: 2 Jan 2008, 04:07 am »
Porgy and Bess-  Ella Fitzgerald/Louis Armstrong (Verve). 

BrianM

« Reply #17 on: 2 Jan 2008, 11:57 am »
Beethoven complete quartets by Prazak Quartet is my current fav.

Really.  :smoke:

I'd noticed these but there was no feedback (last I checked).  I'm always looking out for better recorded string quartets...

My standby for the Beeothven cycle remains the Quartetto Italiano, after trying many others.  I gravitate toward warmer presentations, and their interpretations tend to suit me.

BrianM

« Reply #18 on: 2 Jan 2008, 12:01 pm »
Porgy and Bess-  Ella Fitzgerald/Louis Armstrong (Verve). 

So that's "classical" now is it?  :)  There's a whole world of "crossover" music to be explored, too.  Try this recording, also from RR:

http://www.amazon.com/Medinah-Sessions-Paul-Bowles/dp/B00005NGYR/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1199275754&sr=8-1

for a very well-recorded mix of jazzy meets classical (3 Penny Opera, Soldier's Tale, La revue de cuisine, etc.)

richidoo

« Reply #19 on: 2 Jan 2008, 03:06 pm »
Sorry for quick off topic.
BrianM, the prazak is usually criticized for being too far off the normal staid interpretation. When Beethoven gets wild, they jump out the window. No fake pretentious classical snobbery in this cycle. Being a jazzer at heart I can't stand fake politeness and these guys rip it up. Grosse Fugue is awesome as is 15 and 16. The recording is relatively close mic'd so you will hear the grit in all its glory, but it's not harsh or annoyingly in your face. I think your Ellis' will eat it up. I'll send you a flac or two if you wanna looksee first.
Rich