New Mini's ordered

barkerpj

• PC -> Berkeley USB -> Berkeley DAC
New Mini's ordered
« on: 15 Dec 2007, 04:36 pm »
Hi,

1st post on the SP Tech circle.

I have ordered a pair of Mini's and will unfortunately have to wait until sometime next year to get them.

In the meantime I was wondering if anyone could compare their Mini's to Ellis Audio's 1801's or Selah Tanzanites as I currently have both - just so I can have an idea as to what I can look forward to.

Thanks in advance for any replies

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
Re: New Mini's ordered
« Reply #1 on: 15 Dec 2007, 05:08 pm »
I would say you are going to be amazed by the amount of detail these speakers "mine" from the recording (while still sounding smooth and natural) and the bass will be deeper.
I heard the Ellis 1801 at RMAF with a better amplifier than what I have been using so far with my Mini's and while I have not heard the Tanzanites, I have heard similar offerings from Selah.
Not to take anything away from Dave or Rick as they both have fine sounding speakers, but I think you will find these raise the bar.

FWIW, YMMV, IMHO,
Lin :)
« Last Edit: 15 Dec 2007, 06:30 pm by opnly bafld »

Double Ugly

« Reply #2 on: 15 Dec 2007, 05:23 pm »
FWIW, YMMV, IMHO,

:lol:  Nice disclaimer, Lin!  :thumb:

RandyH

« Reply #3 on: 15 Dec 2007, 06:29 pm »
I'm about to place an order myself.  In the past I've owned the Totem Model 1 and I currently own the JMR Trente.  I've enjoyed each of these speakers but am looking to see if something different will possibly be better.  Since I will no doubt have to wait awhile myself I would be curious to hear from Mini owners who may also have experience with either the Totem or preferably the Trente.  Also curious to hear from anyone who has run the Minis with a good subwoofer.  I currently have a REL Storm that I have integrated well with my other monitors.  Thanks in advance for you input.  I am very anxious to hear the Mini.

I will be running the Mini with an ARC LS-15 linestage and ARC 100.2 Poweramp.

Randy

billc

« Reply #4 on: 15 Dec 2007, 06:49 pm »
barkerpj,

I have the Ellis 1801b's, and the Response Audio Bella SP/AV 1's, and I'm expecting the SP Tech Mini's sometime soon (Bob, no rush on mine, you enjoy the holiday first! :wine: ).

I will write up my impressions once they are in-house. 
(They will be driven with ModWright SWL 9.0SE's and Response Audio-modified ASL Hurricanes, MK I.)

Bill C

bbchem

« Reply #5 on: 15 Dec 2007, 09:53 pm »
   aa Randy H, Funny you should ask, If you see my list  of speakers on this SP Tech Forum, I had the Totem Hawks and the Totem Rainmakers and the Model one so you can see I like them very much. I felt the detail, soundstage, image etc was first rate. The bass was a  little shy for my taste but I lived with it for awhile anyway. The overal dynamics were not as great though as the Minis which I am listenng to at this time. The minis exhibit everything the totems do and more. The overall instrument detail and SLAM is much higher in the Minis. Also I tested the bass and its there down to 30hz although that is were it does drop off. The Hawks did not have this, 50 at best in my room. The minis also paint a more natural picture as well. Not trying to sell you as you can see I owned 3 totem Pairs. The Minis are a several steps up all around.

P.S. few speakers can take the kind of power these can and still hold together.   :wink:

If you buy them, you will no doubt Enjoy.

Regards, Bill

bhobba

« Reply #6 on: 15 Dec 2007, 10:07 pm »
1st post on the SP Tech circle.

Welcome  :D

I have ordered a pair of Mini's and will unfortunately have to wait until sometime next year to get them.

I am in the same boat my friend.  Personally, I am not in a hurry, but others are, understandably, chopping at the bit, so to speak.  It will be worth the wait.

In the meantime I was wondering if anyone could compare their Mini's to Ellis Audio's 1801's or Selah Tanzanites as I currently have both - just so I can have an idea as to what I can look forward to.

I can't speak from actually listening, but technically, the Mini has a much lower crossover than the Ellis 1801.  This should equate to a better midrange.  The 1801 is a ported system - I do not like ported designs - too boomy.  The mini is a hybrid transmission line ported design that Bob claims gets rid of most of the problems of boomy bass while going equally as low - or lower.  Bottom line - bass should be better.  The Hiquphon tweeter used in the 1801 is by reputation one fine sounding tweeter - but does not have as low distortion as the tweeter Bob uses.  The preference some people have for the Hiquphon is probably a preference for its distortion - just like the light airy quality people talk about with ribbon tweeters is probably a form of distortion.  That is not to slight the 1801 - it simply refelects different design philosophies.  The 1801 uses a magnesium woofer which had really low distortion.  Bob uses an aluminium woofer which does not have quite as low distortion (still pretty good mind you).  But from all accounts the difference is only really noticeable at high volume levels and is rather small anyway. The Tanzanites are a 3 way design with a morel midrange and ribbon tweeter.  As excellent as that midrange is, it does not have as low distortion as the tweeter Bob uses.  Also the waveguide design allows the tweeter to handle large amounts of power without distortion.  Overall I would say the minis are more accurate and can handle lot of power better (the mini's are also more expensive mind you).  Once you get a chance to compare, I suspect you will sell the others and keep the mini.  Again that is not to slight those other fine speakers - simply that due to the unique design Bob uses (the waveguide, low crossover, and hybrid bass) they are inherently more accurate.  As Jim Merod, who has heard an ungodly number of speakers in his time says, not only are they amongst the finest speakers on the planet at any cost, they have 'shocking nakedness'. That accuracy, IMHO, will grow on you with time, so that you will end up preferring the SP's. 

Thanks
Bill

bhobba

« Reply #7 on: 15 Dec 2007, 10:25 pm »
I'm about to place an order myself. 

Wise move.  I firmly believe these speakers will become a legend.

In the past I've owned the Totem Model 1 and I currently own the JMR Trente.  I've enjoyed each of these speakers but am looking to see if something different will possibly be better.  Since I will no doubt have to wait awhile myself I would be curious to hear from Mini owners who may also have experience with either the Totem or preferably the Trente.  Also curious to hear from anyone who has run the Minis with a good subwoofer.  I currently have a REL Storm that I have integrated well with my other monitors.  Thanks in advance for you input.  I am very anxious to hear the Mini.

I suspect, due to how low Bob's speakers go, and how good its bass is, (Bob claims it is in many ways comparable to most transmission lines - his transmission lines OTH cause listeners to literrally swoon) you can set the crossover to the Rel really low - say about 40hz - making it rather difficult to tell you even have the subwoofer engaged on many recordings - it will be there when you need it - but will often be felt rather than heard. I suspect you will eventually want to upgrade from the rel to the infrawave destroyer.

I am very anxious to hear the Mini.

From the reports now coming in you will not be disappointed.

Thanks
Bill

Sparkie

« Reply #8 on: 15 Dec 2007, 11:15 pm »
Hi All,

Recently, I had the privilege of hearing Hugh Dean's new Aspen VSonic transmission line speakers albeit they were the prototypes. Hugh has been playing them at his place for a few months now. If you want a small transmission line that goes to the low window rattling 30hZ range with a musical bass with slam like I have never heard, wonderful imaging, soundstage, detail etc. unbelievable in one package. I think that there is little need for a sub-woofer unless you are into serious home theatre. They appear to have the lot in a package about 80cm tall and are only a little over 20cm wide. The speakers will be available in kit form so I'm told.  :drool:

I think that it would be a good idea to wait a while for the reviews and comments to surface about the Vsonics to appear before spending a lot of money on other speakers. Harass Hugh Dean for a listen if you can, I think you will enjoy the listening session.

regards,

Sparkie.

bhobba

« Reply #9 on: 15 Dec 2007, 11:37 pm »
Recently, I had the privilege of hearing Hugh Dean's new Aspen VSonic transmission line speakers albeit they were the prototypes. Hugh has been playing them at his place for a few months now. If you want a small transmission line that goes to the low window rattling 30hZ range with a musical bass with slam like I have never heard, wonderful imaging, soundstage, detail etc. unbelievable in one package. I think that there is little need for a sub-woofer unless you are into serious home theatre. They appear to have the lot in a package about 80cm tall and are only a little over 20cm wide. The speakers will be available in kit form so I'm told.  :drool:

Another fine speaker.  Those considering it should take into account it is a kit speaker.  Its crossover point is conventional, and not as low as the Mni - its inherent distortion will not be and low as the mini.  Hugh designed these speakers to complent his excellent amplifiers - Bob Smith designed his speakers for accuracy.  Different design goals suits different people and markets.  I have great respect for both Hugh and Bob, but the accuracy of SP's have me hooked.

Thanks
Bill

Double Ugly

« Reply #10 on: 16 Dec 2007, 12:34 am »
Sparkie-

While I know Bob encourages anyone and everyone to compare and contrast his speakers with the competition, it's generally considered very poor form to go into a manufacturer's circle and recommend a competing product.

I realize you haven't been here long, and perhaps you didn't notice in which circle you were posting.  Nevertheless, I believe it is in everyone's best interest if we all try to abide by certain rules and proprieties.

Thanks.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #11 on: 16 Dec 2007, 12:46 am »

I currently have a REL Storm that I have integrated well with my other monitors. 

I suspect, due to how low Bob's speakers go, and how good its bass is, you can set the crossover to the Rel really low - say about 40hz - making it rather difficult to tell you even have the subwoofer engaged on many recordings - it will be there when you need it - but will often be felt rather than heard.

I believe the Storm can be crossed even lower, 20-25hz?, and I would think it would work as well as any sub with the Mini's. IMO they don't need much help.

Double Ugly

« Reply #12 on: 16 Dec 2007, 12:59 am »

I currently have a REL Storm that I have integrated well with my other monitors. 

I suspect, due to how low Bob's speakers go, and how good its bass is, you can set the crossover to the Rel really low - say about 40hz - making it rather difficult to tell you even have the subwoofer engaged on many recordings - it will be there when you need it - but will often be felt rather than heard.

I believe the Storm can be crossed even lower, 20-25hz?, and I would think it would work as well as any sub with the Mini's. IMO they don't need much help.

Personally, if I didn't already have Revelations ordered, I'm not sure I wouldn't go with 4 Timepiece Minis and an Infra-Wave sub.

If the Infra-Wave turns out to be what Bob says (same as the Revelation's bass, except with two 10" woofers vs. two 8s), I can't imagine a better, tighter, faster, more tuneful bass. 

And unlike a lot of subs (not necessarily the Storm; I don't know it), it'll be fast enough to keep up with Bob's speakers.  :thumb:

phoenix_rising

« Reply #13 on: 16 Dec 2007, 02:02 am »
Hi All,

I think that it would be a good idea to wait a while for the reviews and comments to surface about the Vsonics to appear before spending a lot of money on other speakers. Harass Hugh Dean for a listen if you can, I think you will enjoy the listening session.

regards,

Sparkie.

Sparkie,

Clearly you have not heard a very low distortion speaker with controlled dispersion and a very low cross-over point. While I am sure that Hugh's design is very good. It does not have the controlled dispersion that the waveguide provides, it does not have the lowered distortion in the upper frequencies that the Timepiece has, it does not have the lowered crossover point that the Timepiece has. IMHO this places the Timepiece several steps ahead of another vanilla Transmission line design and yes Transmission line bass is some of the best bass out there but a speaker is a whole unit not just bass.

Before you make a comparison you owe it to yourself to hear a very well executed waveguide, IMO they are in a league of their own. Bob is the only person I know that can cross this low using a waveguide. Once you have heard one, I am confident you will buy one.

Phoenix

pbrstreetgang

« Reply #14 on: 16 Dec 2007, 02:08 am »
Well is there any users in Texas that would be willing for an audition? I havent run across any but Id sure like to.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #15 on: 16 Dec 2007, 02:09 am »
I have the Ellis 1801b's, and the Response Audio Bella SP/AV 1's, and I'm expecting the SP Tech Mini's sometime soon (Bob, no rush on mine, you enjoy the holiday first!  ).

I will write up my impressions once they are in-house.  
(They will be driven with ModWright SWL 9.0SE's and Response Audio-modified ASL Hurricanes, MK I.)

No rush??? No rush??? Don't tell him that Bill.... :duh: Tell him you want them yesterday.  :wink:

I have driven the Continuums with the Extreme Hurricanes and the ydid a great job of controlling the. Now I am very eager to hear your thoughts on how they match up with the Mini's. :drool:

You should know by now not to tell someone "No hurry, take your time" :duh:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #16 on: 16 Dec 2007, 02:41 am »
Bill....
You should know by now not to tell someone "No hurry, take your time"
Unless....you already own a pair of SP Tech's... :wink:  :dance:

Nice to see the "new owners" answering questions....enjoy the Mini's.... :thumb:

Chris

bhobba

« Reply #17 on: 16 Dec 2007, 11:42 pm »
Personally, if I didn't already have Revelations ordered, I'm not sure I wouldn't go with 4 Timepiece Minis and an Infra-Wave sub.

Why 4? Into home theatre?

Thanks
Bill

Double Ugly

« Reply #18 on: 16 Dec 2007, 11:59 pm »

Why 4? Into home theatre?

Thanks
Bill

Not yet...  :lol:

Actually, it'd be nice to experiment with multi-channel, too.  If I found I didn't like it, I'm relatively confident I could find a use for the extra speakers.  :wink:

Philistine

« Reply #19 on: 17 Dec 2007, 12:12 am »
I have a Storm crossed over at 17Hz with Salk HT3's - it can be crossed even lower.
I can hear the Salks, or maybe feel, down to about 23 and then have to use a SPL or feel :dunno:
Anyway it works for me.