New Mini's ordered

phoenix_rising

Re: New Mini's ordered
« Reply #40 on: 25 Dec 2007, 11:18 pm »

Since there's very little difference in the speed and weight of SP Tech speakers, I wonder if the same phenomenon will be present in my proposed configuration.  :scratch:

Maybe ted_b can shed some light on the subject before too much longer.

Hi Double,

Hopefully you will get to hear the timepiece mini's in the not too distant future as you have heard all the range and could then do a comparison. I can't see how the bass weight could be the same as the mini simply does not have the displacement to get good weight, the minimum would be an 8" driver like the TimePieces. Hence why I am pairing it with 2 subs and will likely cross at 60hz.

Phoenix

phoenix_rising

« Reply #41 on: 26 Dec 2007, 01:48 am »
Hi Double,

I see that you use Audio Points for resonance control. How have you found them ? I was going to give Auralex isolation risers on the Timepiece Minis and also acoustic foam beneath the subwoofer as well to decouple them from the floor. I am hoping you may have had experience with both forms and be able to comment on their respective effectiveness. Audioholics did a review on the Aurelex and gave it high marks.

http://www.auralexelite.com/resources/MoPAD_ProductBrief.pdf

They also sell blocks that can be placed underneath subwoofers to isolate them as well.

Thanks
Phoenix

Double Ugly

« Reply #42 on: 26 Dec 2007, 04:08 am »
Hi phoenix,

It may be a while before I hear the Minis, but I was actually talking about the speakers in my proposed configuration.  With 8s all the way around (maybe four 10s if the Revs are Grand Masters) and having heard all but the Minis, I'm having trouble seeing where it would be problematic with HT... or multi-channel for that matter.  The Timepieces don't go quite as deeply as the Revelations, but aside from the bonuses that come wholesale with the Rev's T-line, there really isn't that much difference (-3dB @ 29Hz and 25Hz respectively, I believe; similar "weight").

But you've heard it and I haven't, so I'll defer to you on the subject until such time as I have my own data point.  And as I said, ted_b should be able to shed some light on the subject in the coming months.

As for the Audio Points and Sistrum stands, I've had no desire to try anything else since giving the first few an audition about 4 years ago.  I've not tried the Auralex products though, so I can't offer a comparison.  The other points, wood blocks and 'squishy thingies' I tried all changed the sound, too, but not necessarily for the better.

FWIW, the soft 'squishy thingies' were my least favorite (rounded leading edges, smeared the presentation), but I'm sure the Auralex risers will perform better.

phoenix_rising

« Reply #43 on: 26 Dec 2007, 06:26 am »
Hi phoenix,

It may be a while before I hear the Minis, but I was actually talking about the speakers in my proposed configuration.  With 8s all the way around (maybe four 10s if the Revs are Grand Masters) and having heard all but the Minis, I'm having trouble seeing where it would be problematic with HT... or multi-channel for that matter.  The Timepieces don't go quite as deeply as the Revelations, but aside from the bonuses that come wholesale with the Rev's T-line, there really isn't that much difference (-3dB @ 29Hz and 25Hz respectively, I believe; similar "weight").

But you've heard it and I haven't, so I'll defer to you on the subject until such time as I have my own data point.  And as I said, ted_b should be able to shed some light on the subject in the coming months.

As for the Audio Points and Sistrum stands, I've had no desire to try anything else since giving the first few an audition about 4 years ago.  I've not tried the Auralex products though, so I can't offer a comparison.  The other points, wood blocks and 'squishy thingies' I tried all changed the sound, too, but not necessarily for the better.

FWIW, the soft 'squishy thingies' were my least favorite (rounded leading edges, smeared the presentation), but I'm sure the Auralex risers will perform better.

Hi Double,

I have not got my mini's yet, still waiting for Bob to create them. But I have dealt with a lot of speakers in the past and the displacement definitely affects the bass weight. With all 8's all around you should be fine, the only difference will be that the Continuims and revelation will have lower distortion at higher volume levels.

The Auralex product is designed to be sound transparent so it will in effect be very close to a true decoupling. When I get them along with the Mini's I will let you know which one performs the best. Both products are attempting to do the same thing. I like the physics explanation of the Audio Points better.

When you move to multi-channel, room treatment becomes a lot more important due to the number of speakers involved. I normally combine room treatments with room correction as there is a limit to room treatments normally due to aesthetics. The best room correction system that will soon be available in a sound processor is the Trinnov system. It is being used in Pro Studios now.

Take care
Phoenix

ooheadsoo

« Reply #44 on: 26 Dec 2007, 07:11 am »
I haven't heard the minis, but have heard the s-9, which has 2 of the same drivers, but does not have the hybrid t-line afaik.  The bass was weighty, indeed.

Double Ugly

« Reply #45 on: 26 Dec 2007, 01:47 pm »
With all 8's all around you should be fine, the only difference will be that the Continuims and revelation will have lower distortion at higher volume levels.

I agree. 

The Auralex product is designed to be sound transparent so it will in effect be very close to a true decoupling. When I get them along with the Mini's I will let you know which one performs the best.

Please do.  :thumb:

When you move to multi-channel, room treatment becomes a lot more important due to the number of speakers involved. I normally combine room treatments with room correction as there is a limit to room treatments normally due to aesthetics. The best room correction system that will soon be available in a sound processor is the Trinnov system. It is being used in Pro Studios now.

Unfortunately, I fear I will have long forgotten your recommendation by the time I have a room suitable for more than 2 speakers.  :(

Assuming I find a place I'd like to build today, I believe a year to a year-and-a-half till move in is a reasonable estimate.  The home we've decided to build is rather large, and the design features and technology we'll use isn't readily available - or even known about - in these parts.  :roll:

But thanks very much for the recommendation.  I'll try to remember to ask you about it if/when the time comes. 

Take care,

-Jim