the "BIG X-OVER" on the Rev

2bigears

the "BIG X-OVER" on the Rev
« on: 9 Dec 2007, 04:38 pm »
:D Is this external unit made for the Revs ?? And,how does it affect the sonics ???? Just send Santa a card with this humble request.  :lol:

Double Ugly

Re: the "BIG X-OVER" on the Rev
« Reply #1 on: 9 Dec 2007, 04:52 pm »
Hey, Pat.  How ya doin', my friend?  :D

If I understand your question, yes, an external crossover is available for the Revelations.  It's an option for any of the crossovers, but it is required for the 'Ultimate' crossovers.  The 'Ultimate' crossover's PPCs (Pieces, Parts and Components :wink:) are too large to fit into the speaker housing, thus the need for an external enclosure.

As for the affect on sonics, you'll probably need to ask Karsten since he's the only one who's heard it.  Bob and his crew just finished a pair of Ultimate crossovers, but aside from noticing the break-in and some improvements over the 'standard' version, I'm not sure they're in a position to fully quantify the changes you might expect.

Still cold up there?  :wink:

2bigears

« Reply #2 on: 9 Dec 2007, 05:05 pm »
 :D  hi Jim,you doin' ok down there????  Man is it ever cold up here,but besides that, it's all good.I was wondering if the upgraded x-over goes into the back of the top section or is it external ????  Or is it only the big X-over that is external ?? thks  Pat 

Double Ugly

« Reply #3 on: 9 Dec 2007, 05:26 pm »
:D  hi Jim,you doin' ok down there????  Man is it ever cold up here,but besides that, it's all good.I was wondering if the upgraded x-over goes into the back of the top section or is it external ????  Or is it only the big X-over that is external ?? thks  Pat 

Hey Pat,

Aside from the shoulder occasionally hurting so much that I turn into a raving lunatic (:oops:), I'm mostly alright. 

Sorry to hear it's still so cold up there.  It's pretty chilly down here, too... it's almost noon, and yet it's only 76oF.  :wink:  :lol:

As for the crossovers, the 'standard' Mundorf crossover is internal, I'm not positive about the mid-level upgrade (I *think* it's external  :scratch:), but I know the 'Ultimate' is external, meaning it is housed in a separate box/container.  Like I said, it has to be due to the huge Mundorf PPCs.

The pics aren't very good, but you can see the external crossover and purpose-built box to house it here.

Hope that helps!  :thumb:

RodMCV

« Reply #4 on: 9 Dec 2007, 07:39 pm »
I think the mid level is a true external crossover as I have discussed this with Bob concerning my Revelation upgrades, again the size of parts limits of space.
Of course this enables going from mid-level to Ultimate with a simple box swap.
You can prepare by having basic put external and swapping up later too.

I am glad the shoulder is going on the mend now Jim.

Good Sounds For All!

2bigears

« Reply #5 on: 9 Dec 2007, 07:47 pm »
 :D  sooo you think the new upgrade x-over is external. I kinda think he puts the new x-over inside the Rev speaker and only the Large Deluxe goes external ????  not sure  thks   :D

RodMCV

« Reply #6 on: 9 Dec 2007, 08:07 pm »
If a fella is thinking future upgrade then get the basic done external.
No speaker shipping only the crossover box.
But basic fits inside the speakers of course, midlevel doesn't as far as I understand.
This way above is an option I didn't go with, and may have an extra cost.
Not like shipping to New Mexico though!

Best,

Rod

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #7 on: 9 Dec 2007, 08:12 pm »
The Mundorf x-over comes in three flavors for the Revs, standard (internal ...or external, if thinking upgrade later), intermediate (external) or full-monty Ultimates (external).  My order: a pair of Revs (Ultimates) and three Continuums (one Utimate, two Intermediate) will all have external boxes.

RodMCV

« Reply #8 on: 9 Dec 2007, 08:29 pm »
Yea,  like that!

2bigears

« Reply #9 on: 9 Dec 2007, 08:32 pm »
 :D  you guys are right on.... if the upgrade x-over goes into the Revs,get them put into a box so if you want the uitimate it's box swap only.But i kinda think the new/upgrade x-over which is standard,goes into the box.I could be wrong though.I will ask Bob tomorrow... :D

RodMCV

« Reply #10 on: 9 Dec 2007, 09:00 pm »
As I remember it,  Steve's Revelations (at the Denver Home Show)
with the new Standard Mundorf Crossover were internals.

Speaker wire from the Reves direct to the Spectron Musician III SE Amp.

Now I do suffer from that Memo-pause, old age and all.

Rod

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #11 on: 9 Dec 2007, 09:11 pm »
:D  you guys are right on.... if the upgrade x-over goes into the Revs,get them put into a box so if you want the uitimate it's box swap only.But i kinda think the new/upgrade x-over which is standard,goes into the box.I could be wrong though.I will ask Bob tomorrow... :D

? Yep.  To restate:  The standard Mundorf x-over CAN go in the speaker (the default is internal), as per my earlier post, but they can go external too (which gives you the option to later upgrade to intermediate or Ultimate). Anything above standard (i.e intermediate or Ultimate) is too big and MUST go external.   

Double Ugly

« Reply #12 on: 9 Dec 2007, 09:46 pm »
Ted's right, Pat.

What you're calling the "new/upgrade x-over which is standard" is just that - standard.  As such, it can either fit inside the speaker box itself or you can opt to have it mounted in an external box.

** If you're sure you'll never upgrade, have the crossover mounted internally.

** If you think you might upgrade at some later date, I recommend opting for the external crossover.

2bigears

« Reply #13 on: 9 Dec 2007, 09:55 pm »
 :D  now we got it !!!!!  The Standard-Mundorf can and does go into the Rev.But you can box mount the unit for later mod.I did not know there was two stage as "intermediate & ultimate" large x-over option.The ultimate is 3500.00,soooo what does the intermediate x-over cost.????   :D Also,how do you connect the speaker to the external boxed x-over????

TomS

« Reply #14 on: 9 Dec 2007, 09:59 pm »
:D  now we got it !!!!!  The Standard-Mundorf can and does go into the Rev.But you can box mount the unit for later mod.I did not know there was two stage as "intermediate & ultimate" large x-over option.The ultimate is 3500.00,soooo what does the intermediate x-over cost.????   :D Also,how do you connect the speaker to the external boxed x-over????
You could probably connect the XO with two very short sets of Bob's new trick wires for each side :thumb:  Mundorf binding posts all around.