Ultimate Mundorf Crossover Construction

Aether Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.aetheraudio.com
Ultimate Mundorf Crossover Construction
« on: 9 Nov 2007, 04:31 am »
Friends,

We know a lot of you have been waiting for your Ultimate Mundorf Crossovers for quite a while.  We sincerely apologize for the delay, but I can finally say they are "officially" in production.  As you will see below, building them is not a 10 minute job.  The boards are huge - 11.25" x 17.5" - and as you can also see... so are the parts.  The pictures below are from a pair that are going to Bica's customer in Taiwan.  He's been waiting for a very long time, so his are the first to go.

The enclosures (Maple) are built too and will be finish-coated tomorrow.  I will post pictures of the completed units as soon as they're assembled.  In the mean time, I thought you might like a little "tease" as to what they will look like.

So... hold tight - they're coming.  They take a while to build so we can't "pop" them out real fast, but at least the design is done and we have a process now.  That's about 75% of the battle. We appreciate everyone's extreme patience and will be working hard to get them to you as fast as we can.

-Bob :D

Here we're drilling the circuit board.
Drilling Circuit Board

After the board has been completely drilled, we apply a mask so we know where to apply the foil.
Foil Mask

Next we apply adhesive tape and start routing the foil
Routing Foil

Then we start stuffing the parts into the circuit board.
Stuffing Parts

After the parts are all inserted, then we solder everything together.
Completed Foil Side

When we're done, this is what it looks like.
Completed Ultimate Mundorf Crossover Circuit Board

daz_bike

Re: Ultimate Mundorf Crossover Construction
« Reply #1 on: 9 Nov 2007, 09:57 pm »

It is great to see the progress!!  Yes it has been a long wait and much more than expected, but Bob has been great throughout.  You sometimes need to be patient and very patient in this case but I expect it will be well worth it.  You guys getting the Timepiece mini's have been waiting a lot less and it is also encouraging to see pics of the progress.  If it takes a (little) bit longer then the wait will be worth it .... I am sure. 

I have S-9's which are a SPT design and I love what these speakers can do in stock form and can only imagine the performance increase the ultimate crossover will give them. 

Big thanks to Bob and Karsten for making this project possible in the first place.  I can only imagine what a Revelation, Timepiece or any other speaker than Bob makes will sound like with the Mundorf ultimate crossover, as they are great speakers in stock form.

I can't wait to share my experience with the Ultimate Crossover and look forward to other guys to also post their experience.

Darren

Rocket

« Reply #2 on: 9 Nov 2007, 10:53 pm »
Hi,

I also have s9 speakers and I'm wondering whether I will be able to upgrade my xovers.  I live in Australia.

Regards

Rod

Aether Audio

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 13 Nov 2007, 02:48 am »
Friends,

Well, here's one of the enclosures.  Thankfully, those are both done now so all we have to do is finish up the final assembly.  A couple of pieces of Plexiglas and finish stuffing the second circuit board... and they're done!

This pair had "special" requirements with regards to the Maple hardwood, the "plinth" base look and what not, but other than that the rest of them will look pretty much the same and be of the exact same size.  So... one pair at a time, they're on their way! aa

-Bob

Ultimate Mundorf Crossover Enclosure

Double Ugly

« Reply #4 on: 13 Nov 2007, 03:12 am »
The oval area that surrounds "SP" on the front... is that really pink?

Aether Audio

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 13 Nov 2007, 03:26 am »
DU,

Looks that way - don't it? :scratch:  It's a solid piece of bar-stock copper that's been machined on the CNC and clear-coated.  No paint involved whatsoever.  The photo doesn't really do it justice as compared to real life though.  I shot it under the florescent lighting of our spray booth, so I think that's why it came out looking like that.  Everything looks a little weird under that kind of light.

Still... copper on maple isn't exactly my "cup of tea," but that's what the customer wanted. :dunno:  Actually, I don't really care for maple to begin with, so I'm nobody to be asking when comes to an opinion on that species.  To each his own! :D

-Bob

Aether Audio

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 13 Nov 2007, 03:38 am »
Hi,

I also have s9 speakers and I'm wondering whether I will be able to upgrade my xovers.  I live in Australia.

Regards

Rod

Ooops...sorry Rod - didn't mean to ignore you there.  Yes, we can upgrade your S-9s too.  Same box and all (except for maybe the wood species/finish) as those of the pics above.  Just PM me and I'll give you the details.

Take care, :D
-Bob