Elixer Subwoofers?????

Marbles

Elixer Subwoofers?????
« on: 9 Sep 2003, 03:20 pm »
Brian, does it make sense to design subwoofers like the bottom half of the RM/X's?

That is subs with sidefiring, bottom firing and front firing woofers?

How big would the cabinet need to be?

Thanks

I could see someone using these as stereo subs for your 626R's.

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
RMX
« Reply #1 on: 9 Sep 2003, 04:35 pm »
Interesting idea, I'll have to think about that one.

JoshK

Elixer Subwoofers?????
« Reply #2 on: 9 Sep 2003, 04:59 pm »
That is a cool idea.  :idea:   And to go one step further--I can already hear Big B saying, "send $20K"--and create the RM/X mid/tweeter as a seperate column.  Use an external xo and wham, there you go!  That would be the coolest!  My wife would dig it as she is dying to get my RM40's out of the living room (but can't).

warnerwh

Elixer Subwoofers?????
« Reply #3 on: 9 Sep 2003, 06:07 pm »
"and create the RM/X mid/tweeter as a seperate column"

That is what I've been thinking would be a great idea with the 40's. Add your own bottom end to your liking as I think the 40's could use more weight down there in my opinion. I'm used to the Supertower/R SE's so my perspective may be biased.

tkp

Elixer Subwoofers?????
« Reply #4 on: 9 Sep 2003, 06:24 pm »
Personally, I would love to see a subwoofer that could serve as speaker stand for the 626R.  This subwoofer would be a bit wider than the 626R and would have dual 10" with a down firing passive radiator (similar to the lower part of the RM40 with one more 10" mega woofer).  IMHO the DSW is a bit too wide for spouse acceptance.

JoshK

Elixer Subwoofers?????
« Reply #5 on: 9 Sep 2003, 06:41 pm »
You can always order a kit and build it yourself.

Andrikos

Elixer Subwoofers?????
« Reply #6 on: 10 Sep 2003, 07:31 pm »
Quote from: JoshK
You can always order a kit and build it yourself.

From VMPS? Where is the website info? I couldn't find it. THAT would be a great idea...

Also, let me support the suggestion of elegant, skinny and HIGH WAF "Ribbon Columns" for 80Hz-20kHz+ coupled with studly Larger subs to create a full range state of the art system. VMPS speakers wouldn't have to weigh 350lbs anymore... maybe only about 80!! :)

JoshK

Elixer Subwoofers?????
« Reply #7 on: 10 Sep 2003, 07:40 pm »
The column would be a great idea, in principle, but it could only go down to 166hz because that is what the ribbon goes down to.  In my mind's eye, at least, I was thinking the mid-woofer and the sub would be in a sub like cabinet.  Like what Marbles was proposing.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Elixer Subwoofers?????
« Reply #8 on: 10 Sep 2003, 08:18 pm »
Perhaps even more interesting would be to order 4 Larger sub kits and build a pair of line array subwoofers, with the PR on the top and bottom of the cabinet, the 15" woofers on the front, top and bottom, and the 12" megawoofers on the front in the middle.  That would be some incredible bass there, and would deal with room modes to an extent by having the bass launched simultaneously from several different locations.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Elixer Subwoofers?????
« Reply #9 on: 10 Sep 2003, 08:19 pm »
Of course, those would be some big ass enclosures :-)

Andrikos

Elixer Subwoofers?????
« Reply #10 on: 10 Sep 2003, 09:49 pm »
Quote from: JoshK
The column would be a great idea, in principle, but it could only go down to 166hz because that is what the ribbon goes down to.  In my mind's eye, at least, I was thinking the mid-woofer and the sub would be in a sub like cabinet.  Like what Marbles was proposing.

Is there a possibility to make a ribbon with twice the Fs? Would it have to be a NEO 16 instead of a NEO 8? Brian? :)

jgubman

Wish list
« Reply #11 on: 11 Sep 2003, 07:45 pm »
Since we're posting our wish list of new VMPS offerings, I'd like to see a floor-standing speaker w/ a FST, 2 neo midranges and one or two of the 6.5 woofers found in the 626 series.

Maybe in a 48" H x 9" W x whatever (16" ?) D enclosure.

I guess that might be too similar to the RM-2, but I'd prefer it because I'd gladly give up the lower couple octaves for a smaller enclosure and a couple of corner-loaded subwoofers.

pjchappy

Slim Tower
« Reply #12 on: 11 Sep 2003, 08:46 pm »
I do like the slim tower idea. . . sound good, Brian?  Lemme guess. . . we send you the money, and you'll make it!  :D

Anyways, I bet something like this would be pretty popular.  W/ 2 mid-panels, FST, and 2 626 woofers. . .nice and slim and a relative high WAF I would think. . .

p

well, after looking around, I guess what it would be is an RM1 w/ another mid-panel. . .ported like the QSO series or PRd. . .

Andrikos

Elixer Subwoofers?????
« Reply #13 on: 11 Sep 2003, 11:17 pm »
That definitely sounds good. If the 626R can go down to ~40Hz, this slim tower would probably go down to ~35Hz. Definitely full range for music and with a couple of Largers for HT, it should kick major booty.
Sign me up for a few of those! :)

warnerwh

Elixer Subwoofers?????
« Reply #14 on: 12 Sep 2003, 04:59 am »
Or how about VMPS at least selling us the Neo panels so we could do it ourselves? I'd buy two subs to go with them.  Or how about just selling the RM 40 kit without woofers and cabinet? It looks like alot of people would like something  more inconspicuous than the 40's without losing the sound quality of having at least 2-4 of the neo mids.

shokunin

Elixer Subwoofers?????
« Reply #15 on: 12 Sep 2003, 05:36 am »
Quote from: Andrikos
That definitely sounds good. If the 626R can go down to ~40Hz, this slim tower would probably go down to ~35Hz. Definitely full range for music and with a couple of Largers for HT, it should kick major booty.
Sign me up for a few of those! :)

The Large Ribbon Center would be close in design.  The LRC is -3 at 35Hz, which utilizes 2 6.5" woofers.

pjchappy

2 Mids
« Reply #16 on: 12 Sep 2003, 06:17 am »
Throw in another mid panel on the LRC and rearrange it. . .perfect.

p

Andrikos

Elixer Subwoofers?????
« Reply #17 on: 12 Sep 2003, 03:52 pm »
Here's another vote for the kit form of the Neo panels and the fantastic woven carbon fiber woofers!

JDoyle

Re: Slim Tower
« Reply #18 on: 12 Sep 2003, 04:58 pm »
Quote from: pjchappy
I do like the slim tower idea. . . sound good, Brian?  Lemme guess. . . we send you the money, and you'll make it!  :D

Anyways, I bet something like this would be pretty popular.  W/ 2 mid-panels, FST, and 2 626 woofers. . .nice and slim and a relative high WAF I would think. . .

p

well, after looking around, I guess what it would be is an RM1 w/ another mid-panel. . .ported like the QSO series or PRd. . .

This is exactly what I'm looking for too!   :D   I hope Brian is reading this.

JD

jgubman

Elixer Subwoofers?????
« Reply #19 on: 12 Sep 2003, 05:03 pm »
Personally, I'd rather pay a premium to have Brian figure out the exact details of the design and build the speakers for me.

I trust my wood-working skills, but I definately don't trust my soldering skills and I'm not too good at following schematics...