power line conditioning

carusoracer

Re: power line conditioning
« Reply #40 on: 12 Oct 2007, 05:51 pm »
Always a good thread :thumb:

I had used one Z Sleeve for my systems main PC from the Outlet feeding a Hot box. It was great in my system, then I switched Amps to Dual Mono's and the new PC's Black Sand would not fit through the Z Sleeve. I find that I'm not missing it all?  It would over warm my system after a few weeks while the background was not as quiet it seemed to be too much if a good thing,reduced dynamics and rolled of the high's :scratch: It did provide a very strong feel to the lower midrange..

OTH, I'm curious about Adepts smallest new unit for $495 and the Paul Mahler stuff. I had read a recent review about the Audience unit but do not see anything on the Mahler can someone share their experience and or link?

Anyone still using the Walker Audio Velocitor?

dhrab

« Reply #41 on: 12 Oct 2007, 06:44 pm »
I think you are looking for Alan Maher ... here's his site

http://alanmaherdesigns.com/default.aspx

Just search over on AA in General or Tweaks under his moniker ... plenty to read

Here's the way it goes ...  I think ...

RFI couples to all our power lines through out the house ...

Because the terminations (the duplex/outlet at one end ...  and the main panel box at the other) lie at difference impedance's ... reflections will incur due to the impedance mismatches.

These reflections from the termination will reflect back onto the circut and collide about the mid point of the circut and ring ... this ringing is carried back to the main panel box and re injected back into our systems

You can read his site on how to cure ringing.

From my readings on AA ...  Alan is very responsive and always welcomes questions ... his wife is also very adept at handing product and setup questions also ... she's very product savvy

DISCLOUSER ... I am not a lawyer, nor have I ever played one in the movies or TV ... I have no affiliation with Alan Maher Design ... nor am i using any of their products ... I just shut off all the circut breakers when i listen .... then again I'm very Republican with my money 

HTH Dave

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #42 on: 12 Oct 2007, 11:34 pm »
Always a good thread :thumb:

I had used one Z Sleeve for my systems main PC from the Outlet feeding a Hot box. It was great in my system, then I switched Amps to Dual Mono's and the new PC's Black Sand would not fit through the Z Sleeve. I find that I'm not missing it all?  It would over warm my system after a few weeks while the background was not as quiet it seemed to be too much if a good thing,reduced dynamics and rolled of the high's :scratch: It did provide a very strong feel to the lower midrange..

OTH, I'm curious about Adepts smallest new unit for $495 and the Paul Mahler stuff. I had read a recent review about the Audience unit but do not see anything on the Mahler can someone share their experience and or link?

Anyone still using the Walker Audio Velocitor?

Sorry but I'll have to differ with you on the Z-Sleeves warming the sound, rolling off the highs, reduced dynamics? I get just the opposite but I wouldn't explain it by what Z-Sleeves are affecting the audio signal as I don't believe they do anything to the audio signal. It's my contention that Z-Sleeves filter out (or diapate might be a better word) RFI & EMI intefrerence that clouds the audio signal and by eliminating this interference, the sound actually sounds clearer, even brighter if anything. In fact I found that with my speaker cable Z-Sleeves being at the speaker terminals with the Dual Bybee filter, the sound was actally too bright, too focused which could be perceived as a loss of dynamics. i ended up placing the Z-Sleeves at the terminals of my Butler tube amp and this works great for me, clarity and dynamic depth of the soundstage. This is what works for me and how I perceive what's happening, it won't mean it's so tho.  :lol:

As a point of clarification tho, I need to ask if you liked what you were originally hearing with the Z-Sleeve/HotBox combo and you were never able to try the Z-Sleeve with the Black Sand Cable, how did you come up with the conclusions that you did? Did you try out the Z-Sleeve somewhere else in your system after getting the Black Sand cable in order to come up with the conclusions that you stated? Just curious,,,,,,,, but if it were me and I had liked what I already experienced with the Z-Sleeve on a power cord, I would have mailed the Z-Sleeve to Black Sand and had them make 1 up with the Z-Sleeve.  :thumb:

Robin

HumanMedia

« Reply #43 on: 15 Oct 2007, 02:26 pm »
Im pretty sure Z-sleeves are not meant to be used with shielded cables.  Which Black Sands are you using?

carusoracer

« Reply #44 on: 15 Oct 2007, 02:45 pm »
Great replies,
I'm using Black Sand Violet PC's for Preamp and HotBox to wall outlet(Furutech)...And yes just to try again my Heavy Z Sleeve on a different part of the system I wanted to put it back on my Source CDP. No go as it will not fit over the Jena Labs Basic Cable either...

I experienced very good dynamics but a warming sound with my Gallo ref's and Odyssey Stratos Extreme.
My current Amp,for Sale, is the Odyssey Dual Mono Stratos. i.e two power cords, I only have one Z Sleeve. So I have not been able to A/B with or without the Z Sleeve as I would like to. PC's on the Amp are Z Cable White Lightnings'.

Sidenote, I really like the HotBox with Bybees as I have A/B several different systems. I do have some slight ringing though. So I'm interested in passive line conditioning.

OBF

« Reply #45 on: 15 Oct 2007, 09:28 pm »
I have to agree. The BPT is one of the best investments I've made in my system.
The thing I'm concerned with now that the BPT doesn't address is voltage regulation. The power coming into my house can vary greatly during the day and it definitely affects my system. I emailed Chris at BPT and asked him if there was anything I could put between the wall and the BPT 2.5 so that I could get a constant 120v into my system. He said it probably wasn't necessary but if I really wanted something I should try Exact Power EP15A or PSAudio Premier. I do think it could make a difference because I can hear that the output of the system is lower during the day.
Both these machines cost a lot more than the BPT and each has 12 outlets so I started looking for a voltage regulation device with only one or two outlets that would send 15 amps at 120v to the BPT. So far my search has turned up some large scale industrial devices (with large scale prices) and one smaller device that looked promising until I got to the part that said it has a loud audible hum. I saw another that looked good but it was only 5 amps.
Furman and APC both make devices that provide voltage regulation and both claim to be for audio but they also have 12 outlets. Also, the Furman say it regulates within +- 5v so that doesn't seem so great 
http://www.altapower.com/Line_Conditioners_s/806.htm
http://www.furmansound.com/product.php?id=AR-1215
  I don't need all those additional outlets or boxes, I don't want to replace my BPT,  I just want a small device.
Has anyone ever used a voltage regulator between the wall and a power conditioner? Would it make a difference? Has anyone ever DIY'd a voltage regulator?  Does anyone have a recommendation?

Howard

Normally I'd recommend you check out an Elgar 6000 series Ultra Line Conditioner, but these do have an audible hum and from your post it sounds like that would not work for you.  In fact the hum is fairly loud from these things.  I assume it's from the massive transformer.  The good part is it's an approx $2k industrial voltage regulator / line conditoner that you can sometimes find on ebay for a song....I've bought 2 of them for approx $100 each.  For that value I can deal with the hum, but now I'm kinda kicking myself for not putting an "extension" cord in the wall when the 3rd garage stall was built that I'm using for an AV room so that I could have put the Elgars in the garage and used the regulated output on the other side of the wall for my equipment.