Woo Hoo - I'm getting a Trumpet

BobM

Woo Hoo - I'm getting a Trumpet
« on: 4 Oct 2007, 08:54 pm »
I managed to work a deal with a friend who lent me his Trumpet to check out and ... it's mine. I posted my impressions on the Trumpet vs the Coronet here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=43714.20

After many listening sessions I found it very hard to go back to the Coronet. Not that it was bad, not nearly. It's quite good and delivers about 80% of the Trumpet, just like everyone says. But the Trumpet is in another league in terms of dynamics and bass. I just kept hearing its limitations compared to the Trumpet whenever I switched back.

So, do you know anyone who is looking for a used Coronet 2, upgraded with Sonicap's.

Enjoy,
Bob

Occam

Re: Woo Hoo - I'm getting a Trumpet
« Reply #1 on: 9 Oct 2007, 02:58 am »
I had the pleasure of hearing Bob's system yesterday. Its a wonderful system, made even better by the wonderful Trumpet phono stage. Although I'm not a phono guy, I don't think I've ever heard such a great phonostage.

Woo Hoo! is an understatement.

BobM

« Reply #2 on: 9 Oct 2007, 11:29 am »
Thanks for the kind words Paul. I guess I'll have to host a Rave sometime in the future.

There's an open invitation to anyone who wants to stop over and share some music. Just let me know and we'll set something up on the calendar.

Enjoy,
Bob
Massapequa Park, Long Island

tubesforever

« Reply #3 on: 10 Oct 2007, 12:59 am »
Bob, What does the Trumpet sell for as a half kit.  Also does it support standard non balanced outputs?  I have all old tube gear with common grounding.

Cheers! :thumb:

WGH

« Reply #4 on: 10 Oct 2007, 01:15 am »
I managed to work a deal with a friend who lent me his Trumpet to check out and ... it's mine.

HOT DAMN !!

Congratulations. :bounce:

Wayne

BobM

« Reply #5 on: 10 Oct 2007, 11:58 am »
Bob, What does the Trumpet sell for as a half kit.  Also does it support standard non balanced outputs?  I have all old tube gear with common grounding.

Cheers! :thumb:

As far as I know - there is no half kit. This is a buy it fully manufactured by Jim. It supports either balanced or non-balanced outputs, you can order it either way. It says "discontinued" on the hagtech website, but I think Jim is planning to offer it up as part of his new line. I don't know what changes, if any, he may be making to the design though.

Jim ... can you speak to this yet, or is it all still hush, hush?

Thanks,
Bob

hagtech

« Reply #6 on: 10 Oct 2007, 05:16 pm »
The TRUMPET is kaput.  There are no more to be built, I am out of parts.  Ok, maybe I can do one, but was saving the stuff for warranty repairs, just in case.

So if you have a TRUMPET, it is now a museum piece and likely worth double what you paid for it.

The new line of machines I am designing will have a phonostage, but not a direct replacement for the TRUMPET.  It uses a different topology.  Although I expect it to sound just as good.  Perhaps even more musical.  Many advanced features.  Price, too.

jh

ecir38

« Reply #7 on: 11 Oct 2007, 01:42 am »
Audiogon had one pop up for sale today.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preaphon&1197184529

amandarae

« Reply #8 on: 11 Oct 2007, 04:23 am »
I had the Trumpet for almost two years.  As described, the bass and the mid treble are excellent.  The better the equipment, the better the response of the phono preamp.

here it was side by side with the Cornet.

Very good phono preamp at its price point, no question!

Congrats on your new toy...

regards,

Abe

hagtech

« Reply #9 on: 11 Oct 2007, 06:22 am »
The TRUMPET is kaput

I spoke too soon.  By a lightning bolt of a chance, I stumbled into the realization that the HAGLABS series 10 style chassis will fit the TRUMPET boards.  A narrower 7" wide version, anyway.  In fact, the boards fit nearly perfectly.  Therefore, I will re-introduce the TRUMPET as a PH-10 phonostage under the HAL banner.  Probably end up costing twice as much as the original.  A bit fancier, parts upgrades, two chassis, etc.

jh