Coronet bass issues

BobM

Re: Coronet bass issues
« Reply #20 on: 1 Oct 2007, 06:24 pm »
Well a friend of mine loaned me his Hagerman Trumpet to check out. It had noticeably better bass, slam and dynamics than my Coronet. So we started seeing what we could do to beef up the Coronet. First up ... tube swapping.

Well knock me down with a hammer ... we swapped out the 12AU7 that I had in there for an RCA clear top and all the majesty and bass and slam came back in spades. The 12AU7 I had in there was either mislabeled, or was bad, or something. This was not a subtle change - that old tube was just wrong!

Now my Coronet comes very close to the Trumpet in slam and in bass extension. It also has a more open and extended top end (that was a pleasant and unexpected surprise, for sure). I guess it's "my bad" on what was going on here. I should have played with tubes before. But at least I now know my heater voltage is correct - it was definitely low before.

Thanks for everyone who helped me to improve this fine phono stage. Now I have to do a closer compare with the Trumpet to see just what else that class A rated beauty contributes that the Coronet lacks.

Thanks,
Bob

WGH

« Reply #21 on: 1 Oct 2007, 06:33 pm »
Great news Bob.  :thumb:
What fun to have a Trumpet to play with, let us know what you think after comparing the two.

BobM

« Reply #22 on: 2 Oct 2007, 06:43 pm »
I've been playing with my "fixed" Coronet and the Trumpet. Here's my analysis:

- The RCA clear top I "fixed" my Coronet with for the 12AU7 was nice, but I had a Jan 5814 that makes things a bit tighter and punchier in the bass.
- The Trumpet is not quite as open on the top as my Coronet. Perhaps due to the Bugle Boy 12AX7 in my Coronet vs the Sovetek's in the Trumpet, or maybe my Sonicaps vs the Multi Caps in the Trumpet. Who knows. This is most noticeable on the cymbals, which just sound splashier and crisper on the Coronet - not by a lot, but enough. Nothing I missed until I swapped back to the Coronet and heard it.
- When I put the Trumpet's 12AX7 Sovtek's and the 12AU7 EH  into my Coronet I hear a wee bit of grunge that was not there before with my tubes. I do not hear this grunge on the Trumpet with these same tubes.
- The Trumpet clearly has better bass. Deeper and punchier. Much better dynamic impact and slam factor across the board. This was not immediately noticeable on the Coronet until I had a direct comparison with the Trumpet - then it was clear what I was missing.
- The Trumpet has better deliniation in the midrange. It just separates and floats things in a more open soundstage - front to back and side to side. It's not wider, just more space around things.
- Both are equally quiet. No tube rush and no hum.

So is the Trumpet better? Yes, no doubt. If it had that last bit of top end I get now it would be perfect for me. I can see why it's rated class A. Just a more refined sound overall with great separation and inner (and outer) dynamics.

Enjoy,
Bob