Custom turntable.. am i crazy?

AdamM

• Robotbreeder.com
Custom turntable.. am i crazy?
« on: 1 Oct 2007, 12:19 pm »
Am I crazy for considering a DIY turntable project using Rega Planar 3 parts?

Here's the story:   I've got a North American P3, but i'm currently in Australia.  I did the 'power conversion' mod, but it still runs ridiculously fast or slow depending on which pulley i use.  I could spend some more time tweaking the component values, and hope to get it 'close' but that bugs me...  My ears are pretty sharp pitch wise and it is driving me crazy.  I'm a bit bothered that this particular Rega model isn't pitch perfect, by design.

So then i start looking at motor mods - lots of external DC load/RPM compensated options. Reasonable enough price wise.  Then you start thinking about acrylic platters, sub platters, etc. It all adds up.

THEN you start thinking... "Heck, could i use that great Rega arm, get a platter and bearing, and DIY myself up a plinth and separate motor assembly...."

Has anyone tried this kind of thing and lived to tell about it?   Am i drastically underestimating what's involved?

Or, should i just put the money into a Tech 1200...?    I realize that's a very different machine, but it would cost around the same....

Thanks for any suggestions,
/A

BobM

Re: Custom turntable.. am i crazy?
« Reply #1 on: 1 Oct 2007, 12:29 pm »
Not a problem. I have a DIY wonder using VPI parts (MK III platter and bearing, Aries stand alone motor) with a Moerch DP6 arm and a 1" Corian plinth. The plinth looks like granite on my model, but with Corian you can get many, many different options to suite your taste. And Corian is rather inert, dead and heavy (i.e. for mass loading).

The biggest part is the planning. Measure twice and cut once. Arm mounting precision is paramount.

Enjoy,
Bob

Here's a picture:

JohnR

« Reply #2 on: 1 Oct 2007, 12:30 pm »
What kind of budget do you have in mind? There are turntable kits around... like the Bix. Also, I know someone who has a platter, bearing, and motor just kinda lying around, who is too stupid busy to turn it into a functioning table. Hm...

AdamM

• Robotbreeder.com
« Reply #3 on: 1 Oct 2007, 12:57 pm »
Bob, your table looks great!  Corian sounds like a fantastic choice.  I'll look into the Aries motor, thanks.

John, the Bix is interesting.  Maybe a little outside my budget... I'm looking around $500ish?  Thanks for sharing the link.   Do you think your friend would want to unload that gear..?   aa   

Thanks for the advice,
/A

BobM

« Reply #4 on: 1 Oct 2007, 02:19 pm »
Just a suggestion, but if you're searching for Corian you may want to find a few kitchen countertop contractors in your area. They generally have some sink cutouts lying around that they may let you have for a song. In fact, they may be able to bond them together for you and make the cuts, if you can provide them with a template.

Corian is nasty dusty stuff to cut and sand, so I recommend getting someone else to do this for you if you can.

Enjoy,
Bob

TONEPUB

« Reply #5 on: 1 Oct 2007, 02:39 pm »
keep in mind that a turntable that you build yourself
will be worth nothing if you ever want to get rid of
it, so plan on keeping it for a long time!

RichE

« Reply #6 on: 1 Oct 2007, 03:58 pm »

I really like Altmann's very clever and cheap diy table and tonearm :

http://www.altmann.haan.de/turntable/

Wayner

« Reply #7 on: 1 Oct 2007, 09:48 pm »
I have been on the edge of a DIY myself. I would use a AudioQuest pt-9 tone arm, a VPI motor (from the scout) and a VPI platter and bearing from the scout. I wanted to have the plinth made from 2" thick Black African Granite (I have a source and already have a 1" base for my Empire). I would have to have the granite water-jet cut which means I would have to pay for programming the CNC cutting machine. It would also require a couple of sheet metal or poly parts for enclosures. On the other hand, I have spotted a bamboo cutting board in the cooks catalog...an idea from another AC member and that is a different design approach but maybe better as it would kill any vibration because of the excellent damping qualities of the bamboo. BobM, do you hear any motor noise with the Corian?

W

BobM

« Reply #8 on: 2 Oct 2007, 11:23 am »
No motor noise at all, but I do take pains to isolate the motor from the plinth. It's no good if its touching at all. It just doesn't make sense to have any motor mounted to or touching a plinth, so I would definitely use something that is isoloated from it, whatever way you go.

I like the bamboo board idea - it will look pretty cool also. Granite is pretty but it does ring. Corian tends to be a bit deader and denser.

Good luck,
Bob

randytsuch

« Reply #9 on: 2 Oct 2007, 01:49 pm »
A couple years ago, I made a corian TT.  I used an bearing and motor from an Empire 208 table, and a rega arm.  You can see the details from my blog, link is in my signature.  I mounted the motor on a seperate piece of wood from the table, then I placed the motor on a shelf behind table, so the only connection between the motor and tt is through the belt.

Randy

mgalusha

« Reply #10 on: 3 Oct 2007, 02:26 am »
Also, I know someone who has a platter, bearing, and motor just kinda lying around, who is too stupid busy to turn it into a functioning table. Hm...

There has be a lot of dust on those parts by now... you've had them a long time. :)

SET Man

« Reply #11 on: 3 Oct 2007, 03:31 am »
I'm a bit bothered that this particular Rega model isn't pitch perfect, by design.

/A

Hey!

Yup, this is true. Rega tables tend to run a bit fast and that is not just that particular model. I don't know if that is true today with the new P series. :D

My Planar 2 I bought in 1997 run fast. Couple of years ago I solved this problem by put 2 layers of electrical tape over the subplatter(?) and this slow down the speed. I have an old test record with 1Khz test tone and it is now read pretty much at 1Khz.... with some WOW that drip to 999hz  sometime with that test record. But still much better than listening at 1003+hz plus WOW from a 1Khz test tone isn't it? :D

Am I crazy for considering a DIY turntable project using Rega Planar 3 parts?

/A

No that is not crazy. Check out my currently turntable of which used to be a Rega Planar 2 :D Totally pimped out and now known as the FrankenRega. :lol: Currently have Benz Micro "ACE" high output cart on it. :D

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=35663.0

But since your Planar is actually a North America version it will be tough to get it to run correctly. You know I think Rega offer motor upgrade so maybe if you could get one that run on 240V 50hz than that might work and they say it is actually sound better than the old motor since the new one have much less vibration. :D Still that is not as good as having the totally out and off the turntable. :wink:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

AdamM

• Robotbreeder.com
« Reply #12 on: 3 Oct 2007, 09:11 am »
Buddy,

Your FrankenRega is awesome!  Fantastic idea.  The external motor route is a grand plan.    I'm looking into a DC powered one, so i can use it on 120V/60Hz or 240V/50Hz.  All i'd need to do is get a long enough belt like you did, and make a mount/block for the motor to be positioned outside of the table.

That would be a win-win:  Not too expensive, all the sonic benefits, 'international' support, perfect!

That is... unless John's 'friend' wants to sell his table goodies......   John?     aa

JohnR

« Reply #13 on: 3 Oct 2007, 09:26 am »
Sorry, been busy (still working...) He says he might be interested in trading the high end parts for a not so high end working table. What are you running now?

;)

AdamM

• Robotbreeder.com
« Reply #14 on: 3 Oct 2007, 10:25 am »
Sorry, been busy (still working...) He says he might be interested in trading the high end parts for a not so high end working table. What are you running now?
;)

Rega Planar 3, in good condition (finest light scratches on cover but great for the age).  3 cartridges, sumiko talisman B (VERY low output MC)  Rega 'the red one' and a Denon (not sure which).  I want to keep two of the cartridges. My phono can't deal with the sumiko very well... but i know it's the better one given the right phonostage.

The main problem is, it's for North American power. I did the conversion to make it 240v/50hz, but it's still whack.  So outside of getting a new motor or fiddling with caps and resistors, it's in the 'hilariously' out of tune category.

I think i'll give it one more go on the electronics...  I'm within 3-4% on the component values of what they're asking, but something is up.  It worked fine in Canada. :scratch:

JohnR

« Reply #15 on: 3 Oct 2007, 10:54 am »
Oh right, that's why you started the thread  :duh: It must be possible to source a motor or controller that works with 50 Hz - ?

AdamM

• Robotbreeder.com
« Reply #16 on: 3 Oct 2007, 11:40 am »
I think Buddy has a great idea there.  All i need is a DC motor with a 120v/240v power supply, and i'll go the seperate motor route.  Don't even need to hack the TT, just unhook the belt and get a newer larger one to reach the motor off to the side.  Brilliant.

Just for curiosity, what goodies do you have....? :)

JohnR

« Reply #17 on: 3 Oct 2007, 12:01 pm »
Teres parts. And some kind of modified Rega arm. I was actually making good progress with the base and for some stupid reason left it behind when I moved back to AU from the US.

SET Man

« Reply #18 on: 3 Oct 2007, 09:58 pm »
Buddy,

Your FrankenRega is awesome!  Fantastic idea.  The external motor route is a grand plan.    I'm looking into a DC powered one, so i can use it on 120V/60Hz or 240V/50Hz.  All i'd need to do is get a long enough belt like you did, and make a mount/block for the motor to be positioned outside of the table.

That would be a win-win:  Not too expensive, all the sonic benefits, 'international' support, perfect!

That is... unless John's 'friend' wants to sell his table goodies......   John?     aa

Hey!

Thanks Adam. :D

As for the using longer belt so you could use the old plinth. If you read from my thread you will see that it doesn't work. The old Planar use round belt and with it subplatter that small the longer belt will twist and drip causing speed instability :?

That is the reason why I went all out and got new plinth for it. By putting the subplatter close to the edge I could now use the old belt.

Anyway, I still haven't got around to build a case for the motor and PSU board yet.  :icon_lol: Oh! Well, it works and sounds good now.... I guess I'm just lazy than :lol:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

AdamM

• Robotbreeder.com
« Reply #19 on: 3 Oct 2007, 10:07 pm »
Looks great Buddy
I just read the first page before excitedly bounding into looking for motors.  Thanks for the correction.
Your industrial granite(?) metal shelving looks pretty slick