Kepler is nearing completion.

Kevin Haskins

Kepler is nearing completion.
« on: 14 Sep 2007, 11:52 pm »
The Kepler is just about ready for prime time.    I've spent enough time on this crossover to convince myself that I can do no better.  ;-)   

Response is very nice... +/- 1.5db from the baffle step on up to about 15K where the tweeter has a slight peak.  Better yet... the off-axis to 30 degrees is nearly as smooth with the typical dome tweeter narrowing.

Bass in this small monitor is startling (14" tall x 8.5" wide x 12.5" deep) with good response to the 30Hz range.   They don't sound like monitors in that respect.  People will be looking for the sub and if you have one... you may forget to turn it on.   I love bass, but not just the first octave.   I'll take a good 60Hz-300Hz anyday over a loudspeaker that plumbs to 20hz but gets the upper bass wrong.   I've carefully tuned the upper bass and I have to say... its just about perfect.   

The midrange is the toughest nut to crack when your doing a two-way.   You pretty much have to crossover somewhere where a mistake or slight error is very noticable.    Vocals are great program material but I find the piano also incredible telling if you have it wrong. 

Distortion is vanishingly low for this size speaker and it has plenty of headroom for head-bangers.    I've voiced these a little more forward than the old Exodus loudspeakers.   Detail, shimmer and sound-staging cues are all more notiable.   In audiophile speak... they have more "air".       

Price is landing around $355 per speaker which includes a finished cabinet, pre-built crossovers on PCBs and all the various parts.   You just need to cut the front baffles so you have very little work to do and still say you have built a speaker. 

I'll post some pictures tomorrow and some measurements also.   
« Last Edit: 15 Sep 2007, 12:18 am by Kevin Haskins »

Kevin Haskins

Re: Kepler is nearing completion.
« Reply #1 on: 15 Sep 2007, 05:47 pm »
Some measurements...

A couple notes... these may change slightly.   I've done about 5-6 crossover revisions and these where built with parts I had on hand.   For the production version I'm planning on using Erse Super Q inductors which have a much lower DCR and will bring the EX-6.5 output up some.   I'll adjust as needed but these graphs have a higher frequency tilt that will not be so exaggerated in the production version.

The crossover is around 1.6K which is low for a typical 1" dome tweeter.   No problems with this Peerless unit though.   Distortion testing (THD, IMD) in the final version to confirm.   Crossing over this low has the advantage of having smoother response off-axis.   The midwoofer begins to beam at a much lower frequency than the tweeter so crossing over to it low, where the dispersion is wide (relative), keeps the off axis from having a large narrowing pattern near the crossover frequency.   Its harder on the tweeter so you need a good tweet, good crossover design & then you need to measure distortion in the final design to confirm that you get it right.

The dip @ 3K & 6.5K are baffle diffraction related dips and their effects are negligible off-axis.    The peak @ 15K is in the tweeter response and remains to some degree in all the measurements.   

Here is about 15 deg off-axis.   The upper frequency tilt starts to come down a little and you see the beginning of the tweeter roll-off.   The broad peak around 2-4K is a work in progress.   I may allow an on-axis dip in the final response to get this smoother off-axis.    This area is what sounds forward or "bright" in a loudspeaker design.   Its not the >10K.   Brightness is typically due to a problem in the 2K-5K range.   

Here is the 30deg off-axis.

And this is >45deg.   Notice the crossover notch starts to show.   The woofer's dispersion pattern is narrowing relative to the tweeter at this extreme off-axis position. 

Here is the reverse null.   This is 1/6th smoothed so the bottom of the null has been filled.   The baffle step showed up more in this measurement.   I've done about 4db of compensation leaving 2db for room reinforcement.

Here is the waterfall.   The waterfall is useful to check for any resonance issues in the final design.    I look for everything above 1K to die off >40db down within the first 2ms.      If you get up around 4-5ms things start to become audible but it also shows up in the FR on-axis or off.   This is just another way of checking for FR issues and you can see my broad 2K-4K peak in the waterfall showing up even though it wasn't in the on-axis response.   

Overall though.... this is much better than you see in typical designs that do  a simple on-axis measurement, optimize for smooth response and call it done.    This represents a LOT of measurement, model, build, measure, tweak, measure, tweak, measure, tweak, measure, listen, tweak, measure, listen, tweak, measure, listen design cycles.   You get the idea.  :)   

« Last Edit: 15 Sep 2007, 06:07 pm by Kevin Haskins »

klh

« Reply #2 on: 16 Sep 2007, 07:18 am »
wow :o

MaxCast

« Reply #3 on: 16 Sep 2007, 11:29 am »
When you get her all nice and pretty, lets have a looksee.

Oh, and how are those woofers coming along/

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #4 on: 16 Sep 2007, 01:07 pm »
I'd even like to take a look at a nekked shot - guess I'm just a perv.

Those traces look pretty nice.

Bryan

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #5 on: 17 Sep 2007, 02:59 pm »
When you get her all nice and pretty, lets have a looksee.

Oh, and how are those woofers coming along/

The Tempest-X & Shiva-X should be coming off the manufacturing line this week, maybe next.    I'll have them about 3 weeks following.    I also have the Woofer Widget nearing completion.   It should be here in 6-8 weeks, at least in small volume.   

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #6 on: 17 Sep 2007, 03:01 pm »
I'd even like to take a look at a nekked shot - guess I'm just a perv.

Those traces look pretty nice.

Bryan

These are 1/6th smoothed.   I'll do a raw measurement on the final version and post it.   

ooheadsoo

« Reply #7 on: 17 Sep 2007, 10:59 pm »
Will these make it to RMAF in any form?

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #8 on: 18 Sep 2007, 12:16 am »
Will these make it to RMAF in any form?

Actually no... I'm really burned out on audio shows.   Its lots of work for a small company and I've pretty much decided that I'm going to REALLY limit my time working on shows.   I'd rather spend the time and effort engineering.   :)

I'm going to VSAC next year but not to exhibit. 

One thing I'd like to do though is get a traveling pair out for user evaluation.   The best way of checking out speakers is in your own system.    The logistics of doing it has always been a problem though...

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #9 on: 18 Sep 2007, 12:19 am »
One thing I'd like to do though is get a traveling pair out for user evaluation.   The best way of checking out speakers is in your own system.    The logistics of doing it has always been a problem though...

You might want to check with Al at RAW Acoustics. I know his OB2X is floating around the country. He might be able to provide you with details regarding the 'logistics.'

Best,
Anand.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #10 on: 18 Sep 2007, 04:55 pm »
Couple bad pictures.... I need a photography class or something.     I'll go back and try some different lighting.     

With a CD on top for a sense of scale.

Here it is with the grill on.

Naked drivers.

RAW

« Reply #11 on: 18 Sep 2007, 05:01 pm »

You might want to check with Al at RAW Acoustics. I know his OB2X is floating around the country. He might be able to provide you with details regarding the 'logistics.'

Best,
Anand.

Kevin is very familiar with a demo product going around.I tend to agree with Kevin as far as shows ect.

By the way Kevin. :drums: Nice looking product

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #12 on: 18 Sep 2007, 05:03 pm »
And driving them.....    UcD400HG Monoblock with HxR regulators. 

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #13 on: 18 Sep 2007, 05:44 pm »
Looks saweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeet!  :banana piano: A full blown monitor with 30 Hz response for $710? Kevin, you deliver!  :thumb: Dig the amp.

Anand.

klh

« Reply #14 on: 18 Sep 2007, 05:56 pm »
Very nice!

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #15 on: 18 Sep 2007, 06:18 pm »
Ok... I think what we need is something to contrast with the black.

Exodus Cable Kit

Some EX-6.5 Love.   Sexy and powerful.    aa

A picture of her underside.   Neo motor with plenty of linear stroke and the suspension travel to use it.

And the Exodus aluminum cover for the amplifiers.   

Some different lighting.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #16 on: 18 Sep 2007, 06:29 pm »
Looks saweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeet!  :banana piano: A full blown monitor with 30 Hz response for $710? Kevin, you deliver!  :thumb: Dig the amp.

Anand.

I'm going to say 35ish in the 0.5ft^3 box shown.   It goes another 5Hz with the 3/4 ft^3 box.    The smaller box sounds like it has just as much bass though because of the way its tuned.    Of the two... I like the bass in the smaller box best in my small room with placement 1.5-2' from the room boundary.   

Dustin B

« Reply #17 on: 18 Sep 2007, 06:51 pm »
What is the "Woofer Widget"?

klh

« Reply #18 on: 18 Sep 2007, 07:15 pm »
The set of photos in "Reply #15" are much better. It really is a gorgeous driver. It would look great in an open baffle configuration... and I'm sure it would sound even better. Well done! I like the look of the aluminum cover on top of the enclosure (you should offer it as an option ;)).

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #19 on: 18 Sep 2007, 07:41 pm »
Kevin,

I'm definitely waiting for more! Like when you come out with an MTM open baffle version! I love that Exodus Audio emblem. Maybe  making the enclosure taller (and less deeper) so you can fit the emblem below the woofer? Would look cool, but it might screw up your wonderful frequency response.

That's a serious motor on the EX6.5  :o  :icon_twisted:. Much better pics  :drool:

Best,
Anand.