OB5 or OB7 center

klh

OB5 or OB7 center
« on: 9 Sep 2007, 05:48 am »
Has anyone heard or built the horizontal version of the OB-5 or OB-7?

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
Re: OB5 or OB7 center
« Reply #1 on: 10 Sep 2007, 03:29 am »
Haven't built them horizontally, but I've heard both the OB 5 and OB 7 vertically.  :green:

Both would be a killer center channel. You'd have a hard time finding a better one.

Cheers

klh

« Reply #2 on: 10 Sep 2007, 06:52 am »
They look fantastic... but my concern is with the proposed center channel. Its layout is somewhat controversial. I was hoping someone has actually built it and/or listened to it. Danny says it's off axis response should be great (and I believe him), but the proof is in the pudding. Some first hand accounts would be nice.

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #3 on: 10 Sep 2007, 11:59 am »
How is it's horizontal layout controversial?

It has a great off axis response in the vertical position, why do suspect it wouldn't in the horizintal position?

Cheers

klh

« Reply #4 on: 11 Sep 2007, 02:04 am »
Because most people don't listen to their mains with their ears on the floor or ceiling ;).

My concern is having a horizontal WWMTMWW or WMTMW alignment for the CC and having some viewers/listeners 45' off axis (e.g. sitting waaaay left or waaaay right). Now, the average listener may not notice the difference, but if I get stuck sitting on the end I still want the system to sound damn good :D!

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #5 on: 11 Sep 2007, 02:51 am »
What layout would you rather see? The horizontal response of the OB 5's and 7's is quite smooth.

You can see all the responses for the OB 7 MTMWWWW here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=41724.0

Danny and Al have been collaborating on another center channel design for RAW Acoustics that should be really nice as well. I believe it uses Al's custom ribbon tweeter that works real nice off axis.

Cheers

Danny Richie

« Reply #6 on: 11 Sep 2007, 04:00 am »
My concern is having a horizontal WWMTMWW or WMTMW alignment for the CC and having some viewers/listeners 45' off axis (e.g. sitting waaaay left or waaaay right).

So is this 45 feet of axis or 45 degrees off axis?

I wouldn't want to have to watch a movie sitting 45 degrees off axis.

The side laying MTM is good to about 20 degrees off axis. After that the mid-bass woofers will begin to cancel each other out and a dipped area will appear near the 900Hz range. Some MTM's on their side are worse but this one keeps a fairly close center to center spacing.

If that is not going to cut it for you then maybe a shorty version of the O-3 will work for you. It has a killer off axis response in all directions and has an open transparent sound just like the OB series speakers. 
« Last Edit: 11 Sep 2007, 05:14 pm by Danny »

klh

« Reply #7 on: 11 Sep 2007, 04:59 pm »
Thanks Danny... that's exactly the type of info I was looking for :D. I wouldn't want to sit that far off axis either, but it's a wide room!