Need help to choose speakers

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: Need help to choose speakers
« Reply #20 on: 2 Sep 2007, 10:03 pm »
There is also the possibility of Louis later coming out with a Super 3 Hemp XRS Dipole, with the 8" DeepHemp Sub driver built into a sealed chamber on the bottom of the cabinet!

Hello Vinnie,

This Super XRS Dipole w/ 4,5'' + 8 '' drivers might interest me more than the Sub  :thumb:
Do you need bi-cabling for such a set-up?

Best,
Ricardo

Hi Ricardo,

I doubt there would be a need for any sort of special cabling.  Louis would make such a speaker model with binding posts for the passive driver(s), and the plate amp would have both speaker level and RCA level inputs.

Of course, Louis would be the one who knows for sure  :wink:

Best regards,

Vinnie

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #21 on: 2 Sep 2007, 10:44 pm »
DaveC113,

Sorry about misquoting the Hemp vs. Fostex drivers that Louis is using.  I guess that I'm not keeping up with Louis very well.  I knew he was working for a long time on the bigger hemps and then the smaller ones.

Raja,

Dipole and conventional (even MTM) speakers each image differently.  I'm not a huge fan of pin-point imaging as it overhypes versus the reality of live music I hear.  I happen to own Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 (originals) and love'm.  They do image very well.

Ricardo,

Might I be so bold as to suggest installing a door (with lock) to keep little fingers away?  I have my own room and even with the youngest being 12, I installed a dead bolt.  (Just my version of having a weekend get away - I rarely use it though.)  Don't know if you'd need a sub in the new room.

tuga

« Reply #22 on: 3 Sep 2007, 07:34 am »
Hello JLM,

I used to keep the stereo locked in a small study (8 sqm) but it was just too small... Now I've moved it to the living+dinning "communal" rooms - more space, more constraints.  :(

Regards,
Ricardo

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #23 on: 3 Sep 2007, 09:18 am »
Yes 8 m^2 is very small, even for small ensemble stuff.

If this is the first child (with more to come?) you may have to put audio aside for awhile.  The alternate is headphones back in that small room.  For the price of XRS you could do a complete (and very nice) headphone system:

http://6moons.com/audioreviews/audiotechnica/winning.html

Then you could listen anytime and at any volume.  No room treatments needed.  No worries about subwoofers or ideal speaker placement.

tuga

« Reply #24 on: 3 Sep 2007, 10:03 am »
First child and hopefully more coming.  :wink:

And I have just regained my pleasure for music, replaced a 10 year old Audio Alchemy CD combo / Audio Innovations integrated system for used Shigarakis...and the pleasure quadrupled!!!  aa

About the headphones, unfortunatelly I never liked using them...I've managed to find the cabinet pictured above and designed a locking system for it. On the first day little Martim managed to pull out one of the speaker cables but then he lost interest - and today was his first day at school...

I guess a pair of Audio Notes, a nice used bargain might be better for now: just stick'em in a corner and they're singin'.  :green:

Room treatments and a better pair could come later...
« Last Edit: 15 Sep 2007, 08:16 pm by tuga »

jaspal kallar

« Reply #25 on: 5 Sep 2007, 02:22 pm »
Super 3 XRSs cost around 1650 USD in Europe...If shipping were cheap I might order them directly as I have to pay 27% TAX on top of goods+shipping cost = 950+100+tax = 1390 USD

Since I live in Europe (Sweden) I was wondering who gave you the price of $1650 for the Super 3 XRSs ?

jaspal.

Louis O

« Reply #26 on: 22 Sep 2007, 10:53 pm »
Hi Tuga,

Many thanks for your post and there is some wonderful feedback on the thread.
A great combination and one I'm very happy with is the Deephemp XRS combo. You get the fullrange sound and the blend is seamless. The sub has an OEM Hempcone with the same formulation as the all the other hemp drivers I use. The match is amazing and the tone of both blends perfectly. I know of no other manufactures who build subs this way.

I'm more than happy to discuss all options with you and can go over everything.

Thanks again,
Louis