Can/should anything be done to change this room response?

rockadanny

Re: Can/should anything be done to change this room response?
« Reply #120 on: 7 Jan 2008, 09:52 pm »
And I can attest to how well my GIK 244 panels worked on the wall approx. 3' behind my head. Improved clarity and overall smoothed out freq. response. They work!

Big Red Machine

« Reply #121 on: 17 Jan 2008, 04:25 pm »
Lots of exciting things going on in the room.  I'm waiting on my new rack components to come in next week.  In the meantime I am adding some mass to my GIK D1's for the side walls, I have Real Trap near diffusers hung, 2 RPG Skylines on the ceiling, and my old Auralex T'Fusors on top of the 703 panels in the alcove.

I have another box of 703 to use but not sure I need it yet.

New equipment, modified SB, new cables.  Heck, I won't have a baseline to draw upon!!

Very cool!! :weights:

Something to consider, I probably have close to $3k in room treatments now.  File that away for a thread discussion some day.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #122 on: 17 Jan 2008, 07:50 pm »
Stuffing a D1 to add some mass/absorption:

2 buckets of plumber's putty and some scrap 703 and 4 D1's are ready to hang!!

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #123 on: 17 Jan 2008, 08:22 pm »
That's an interesting combination Pete.  Most people either do absorbtion or dampening.  Let us know how it turns out.

Bryan

Big Red Machine

« Reply #124 on: 26 Jan 2008, 07:04 pm »
Added another bass trap of 703 triangles to back left corner.  Hopefully this week I will get to listen when new preamp and rack shows up.

Started with this:

Filling the frame now with fabric stapled on:

Filled:

Put into place:

Big Red Machine

« Reply #125 on: 31 Jan 2008, 02:38 pm »
Spent a quick hour yesterday listening to just the CDP thru my new Bel Canto DAC3 and it sounds pretty darn nice.  I have not even installed all my new cables yet (2 sets of SC's to try, and a new glass optical cable for the SB which is not reattached to the system yet).

I am going to run some more sweeps just to see if the room has cleaned up after all this work.  Even if the response comes out the same it sure sounds great.

I have a big long list of thank you's to hand out as well.

Rob Babcock

• Facilitator
« Reply #126 on: 1 Feb 2008, 08:09 am »
Wow, lookin' good, Big Red! :thumb:  That's a lotta glass stacked up! :o

carusoracer

« Reply #127 on: 1 Feb 2008, 07:15 pm »
Spent a quick hour yesterday listening to just the CDP thru my new Bel Canto DAC3 and it sounds pretty darn nice.  I have not even installed all my new cables yet (2 sets of SC's to try, and a new glass optical cable for the SB which is not reattached to the system yet).

I am going to run some more sweeps just to see if the room has cleaned up after all this work.  Even if the response comes out the same it sure sounds great.

I have a big long list of thank you's to hand out as well.

Pete,

Lot's of changes update what your new rig looks like and what your runnin'
I'm sure you will have it dialed in soon!

Big Red Machine

« Reply #128 on: 11 May 2008, 05:53 pm »
SInce Bryan and Glenn were able to stop by and give me some fonal tweaks to perform I got started this weekend.  I received another box of 703 and rockwool.  First up is addressing the soffit at the back of the room.  Started with some beveled pine pieces to cradle the 703 material. 

Here's a front on shot showing the triangles of 703 being put in place.

I wanted to maximize the size of the traingles so I opted to use some scrap masonite which is thinner than using furring strips to make the "grill".  That way the face is thinner and allows more 703.  I crudely cut 2 frames to cover with spare polyester (note the wavy lines - never to be seen again!).

Here's the finished area with both panels installed with upholstery tacks and the end piece covered in scrap cloth.

I moved one of the Real Traps Near Diffusers to the door and the other to the back corner as I am about to put 6" of rockwool in a 4' x 4' piece directly behind my head with a 1 inch airgap behind it (using 1 x 8's which are 7.25" as you know).

The wall is prepped to accept the large 4x4' box of rockwool that is in the garage waiting on the fill putty to dry.  Two cleats on the wall have been installed and I'll secure the unit on it with just 2 screws.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #129 on: 24 May 2008, 02:53 am »
Filled in that space with a 7.25 inch deep 4x4 unit with 6 inches of Rockwool towards the front.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #130 on: 24 May 2008, 02:55 am »
Slid Ethan's near diffuser to the back corner with the other diffusers.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #131 on: 2 Jun 2008, 11:36 pm »
I have 2 more black D1 diffusors.  Where should I put them, ceiling beam over my head, back wall over the 6" absorption, or????

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #132 on: 3 Jun 2008, 12:48 am »
What's at the ceiling reflection points - don't remember.  That'd be a great place to try them to open things up a bit vertically.

Bryan

Big Red Machine

« Reply #133 on: 3 Jun 2008, 12:57 am »
Here is a layout consistent with the photos I attached.  Where, oh where, should the diffusion go?

I have a large beam just about over my head.  In front of that are 2 absorbers and 2 outboard diffusers at the first reflection plane.  The beam is wide enough to accomodate the D1s.  Which way would the ribs be best aligned - front to back or perpendicular across the music flow?

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #134 on: 3 Jun 2008, 11:19 am »
Not sure they're going to do you a lot of good on the beam.  Maybe better on the side walls up behind your listening position.

Bryan

Big Red Machine

« Reply #135 on: 3 Jun 2008, 11:31 am »
I have a pair each side now.  In front of, behind these?  How about directly behind me on the big absorber?  Do you think the beam is not a viable candidate because.....?  What about on the side walls over the first reflection point absorbers?  Or upfront overhead?

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #136 on: 3 Jun 2008, 01:20 pm »
Side walls above the absorbers might be an interesting option. 

I just don't think directly overhead with the low beam is going to do a lot. 

Bryan

Big Red Machine

« Reply #137 on: 3 Jun 2008, 02:45 pm »
I can't get them above but I can put them over those side panels up to their top edge (flush) easy enough.

And BTW, I spaced all my 2" wall panels off the wall an inch recently.