Expensive cables, lines powerlines, and interconnects are just Audio Jewelry

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
John,

I've also given it much thought as to why. I think very much along the same kind of lines that you do on the topic.

Again, I choose to never say never, y'know? I think that's a healthier attitude. It leaves room for more knowledge. All I know is, that the more I learn, the more I learn that there is so much I don't know.

I don't understand when people try and defy that logic and think they know it all.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing.  :wink:

If you think you know it all, you don't even know enough to know that you're mistaken.... :lol:

To think that you have defined all the absolutes on a given topic is extremely arrogant, omnipotent, megalomaniac thinking.

Bahhhh, humans!  Who needs 'em?  :lol:

Cheers

« Last Edit: 21 Aug 2007, 03:49 pm by Daygloworange »

Steve Eddy

• http://www.q-audio.com
Steve Eddy:  Good food for thought, thanks for that, i'll continue to ponder!

Say what? Good food for thought? Thanks for that? You'll continue to ponder?

Oh no. You're not getting off that easy. I didn't spend all that time writing all that just so it could come down to this. Now come on! Argue with me you big pussy! :green:

se

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca

Oh no. You're not getting off that easy. I didn't spend all that time writing all that just so it could come down to this. Now come on! Argue with me you big pussy! :green:

se

I see you had your Wheaties this morning!  :rotflmao:

Cheers

Steve Eddy

Yeah, my date didn't want to call it a night just yet.  :wink:

So she sat and watched you type posts to a bunch of audio weenies? Mmmm. Kinky!  :icon_twisted:

se

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca

So she sat and watched you type posts to a bunch of audio weenies? Mmmm. Kinky!  :icon_twisted:

se

I was multi-tasking.... aa

Ba da Bing!!    :green:

Cheers

Steve Eddy

Oh yeah. With Michael Vick featured on the box even. :green:

se

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca

Oh yeah. With Michael Vick featured on the box even. :green:

se

:notworthy:

Good to see ya back on AC Steve. 

Cheers

Steve Eddy

I was multi-tasking.... aa

Ba da Bing!!    :green:

Yeah? Well don't get too full of yourself there, Denny. She was probably fantasizing she was being boinked by George Clooney.  :lol:

se

Steve Eddy

:notworthy:

Good to see ya back on AC Steve.

Thanks. Good to be back. Picked up a new tool recently. Guaranteed to "fix stupid."

BONK! BONK!  :green:

se

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
I'd switch Steve....

" A new design of hammer in which the the center of gravity is shifted forward so that the head delivers more impact with less applied force. The weight-forward hammer, at 21 ounces, is a little heavier than most standard hammers. It has a continuous, curved shape, from the hand grip to the weight-forward point of impact on the hammerhead. This shape allows the extended handle to deliver greater striking force to the square head, so that it takes fewer strikes to drive nails into place. For the user, this means less fatigue and shock stress. The fiberglass handle (available in 14- or 16-inch lengths) is covered with neoprene rubber to ensure a good grip.

The weight-forward hammer won silver prize in the 2004 Industrial Design Excellence Awards. "

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca

Yeah? Well don't get too full of yourself there, Denny. She was probably fantasizing she was being boinked by George Clooney.  :lol:
se

Hey, as long as she wears the blonde wig and let's me call her Zdenka, it's all good....

Thanks. Good to be back. Picked up a new tool recently. Guaranteed to "fix stupid."

I've got one of those. It's called an attitude adjuster.  :wink:

Cheers

Steve Eddy

I'd switch Steve....

Naaaaah. I'm afraid the scale wasn't quite so evident in the original photo. Perhaps this will help:

se

AdamM

• Robotbreeder.com
I didn't spend all that time writing all that just so it could come down to this. Now come on! Argue with me you big pussy!

Heheh, ok, Steve, here we go :)

The construction of the power cord (and I'm referring here to the typical three conductor types) will play a role in chassis leakage currents. This is due to the capacitive coupling between the hot lead and the safety ground lead. Two chassis with different chassis leakage currents can result in interchassis currents, which are currents which flow between equipment chassis through the ground lead of the interconnects.

Because the ground lead of the interconnects will have some non-zero resistance, the interchassis current flowing through them will have an IR drop across them which appears as noise at the input of the downstream component.

While technically this isn't a distortion of the signal itself, it is an example of an effect a power cord can have.

Ok, so the different cord constructions would allow for slight capacitance differences between hot / ground.  So dissimilarities between components relationship to ground, presumably exaggerated if dissimilar cords were to be used.  Sounds like 'non star grounding' problems typical within any given component.   So that's an easy fix - use the same cable for everything.   I'd imagine that amount of capacitance to be very low, therefore would act in two ways:  inter-component noise, which should be easily taken care of by the filter caps in the power supply, and a potential low pass filter to the power system supply frequency, which would - quick back of the envelope guess - be acting on frequencies >than 50kz.  Outside of the range of most speakers, and again, dealt with by the power supply.

Your example would essentially be a null result, especially on good gear with decent PSU's, and less so (but still marginal at best) on cheaper gear.  A bit ironic no?  The good cords would only help out the cheap gear?  Ah, but this arena is no stranger to irony in design.

Let's move on...

Yet people who use such things as bottles of rocks, intelligent chips, clever little clocks, and even putting photographs of themselves and their audio systems in their freezers also report "hearing the difference."

So what exactly does that say about "hearing a difference"? Does it mean that there's quite literally nothing that doesn't produce an actual audible difference and similarly there's quite literally nothing too absurd and and that our sense of hearing ultimately has no limits at all?

If not, are those people reporting hearing such differences with rocks, chips, clocks and frozen photographs simply deluding themselves? And if so, how can one be sure they're also not deluding themselves when it comes to things such as interconnects, speaker cables and power cords?

Shakti stones, those weird little resonators that the 6Moons guys like (which physics says can't work as described), and other esoteric doo-dads hung, set, clamped, dangled or otherwise used to enchant gear - make a difference?  What does any rational person think?  Yet, if people are convinced, let them be.  It's like religion, or S&M - if it feels good, go for it.  Just not my cup of tea, and that's just fine, since we all get to choose.

I'll just draw the line in acting, or believing, (or paying!) for that tinfoil pyramid to sit on top of my preamp.  Like we talked about earlier, humans are impressionable things.  Some are convinced that a dead rabbit appendage on their keychain can positively steer the days events.  Audio snake oil is just an extension of that belief system, with the twist - 'I paid a LOT for that, and it's very beautiful, so it must work'.  You're right, people are wanting so bad to believe that they outright convince themselves.

What's that Forrest Gump line, about life and fruitcakes?  I can't remember, something like that perhaps applies here too.

You know why i like this conversation with you?  Is because you are a CABLE GUY!  and you're discussing the false faiths people have with products in your very industry.  You're bold Steve, don't let anyone tell you any different  :wink:

Cheers,
/A

Bigfish

DGODenny,

I'm not sure what the proportional breakdown is, but there's a lot of folks that live their lives in clear shades of black and white only...with complete intolerence of gray.  My biz partner is such a person, as is my sister, and at least two sister-in-laws and a brother-in-law. 

I'm not a very competitive sort, so I don't engage them in their stark black/white views of the world.....but I see others much more inclined to be competitive do so regularly and get all steamed over these folks bull-headed, steadfastness to what they know and only what they know.  You can't convince them anything exists outside the realm of what they know already.

I haven't yet decided whether that bull-headed steadfastness is a lack of creativity, a control issue they possess, or either an overdeveloped sense of self (ie., overblown ego) or an undernourished sense of self.

The world's a big place and all sorts wander about on it  :roll:

John / TheChairlessGuy

John, you seem like a very wise man!

I guess the way I view this hobby is it is my system.  If I want something and I can afford it I will purchase it, try it and keep or resell it.  I am at the point with my system where I understand somethings may work for others that I don't hear or like and vise versa.  The bottom-line is why do I give a hoot if someone thinks high-end PCs and high-end IC Cables don't make a difference?  When they start paying for the gear in my system I might decide to agree with their opinion and until then I have the freedom to spend my money as I chose to do so!  Others may think it is a waste of money and that is fine by me.

Ken
« Last Edit: 21 Aug 2007, 11:37 pm by Bigfish »

Steve Eddy

Heheh, ok, Steve, here we go :)

Whoa! Dude! Hey, I didn't mean it! I was only kidding!

Er, you wouldn't hit a blind man, would you?

Ok, so the different cord constructions would allow for slight capacitance differences between hot / ground.  So dissimilarities between components relationship to ground, presumably exaggerated if dissimilar cords were to be used.  Sounds like 'non star grounding' problems typical within any given component.   So that's an easy fix - use the same cable for everything.

No, it's not a "non star grounding" problem. It's an interchassis current problem which hasn't anything particularly to do with whether or not the circuit uses star grounding.

I'd imagine that amount of capacitance to be very low, therefore would act in two ways:  inter-component noise, which should be easily taken care of by the filter caps in the power supply, and a potential low pass filter to the power system supply frequency, which would - quick back of the envelope guess - be acting on frequencies >than 50kz.  Outside of the range of most speakers, and again, dealt with by the power supply.

Power supply hasn't anything particularly to do with it either.

The "problem" is the safety ground itself. Its purpose isn't really to actually "ground" anything. Its purpose is purely for safety and is nothing more than a return path to neutral in case of a fault where the hot comes into contact with the equipment chassis.

Your example would essentially be a null result, especially on good gear with decent PSU's, and less so (but still marginal at best) on cheaper gear.  A bit ironic no?  The good cords would only help out the cheap gear?  Ah, but this arena is no stranger to irony in design.

Well again, it hasn't anything particularly to do with power supply design.

Let's move on...

Ok.

Shakti stones, those weird little resonators that the 6Moons guys like (which physics says can't work as described), and other esoteric doo-dads hung, set, clamped, dangled or otherwise used to enchant gear - make a difference?  What does any rational person think?  Yet, if people are convinced, let them be.  It's like religion, or S&M - if it feels good, go for it.  Just not my cup of tea, and that's just fine, since we all get to choose.

I think you may have missed my point.

I'll just draw the line in acting, or believing, (or paying!) for that tinfoil pyramid to sit on top of my preamp.  Like we talked about earlier, humans are impressionable things.  Some are convinced that a dead rabbit appendage on their keychain can positively steer the days events.  Audio snake oil is just an extension of that belief system, with the twist - 'I paid a LOT for that, and it's very beautiful, so it must work'.  You're right, people are wanting so bad to believe that they outright convince themselves.

It's really not so simple. There are a number of things which can contribute to the subjective perception of differences even when there are no physical or actual audible differences which have absolutely nothing to do with what people want to believe.

My point is that the phenomenon is real and has been long established. And that begs the question, how exactly does one know if their perception of differences is due to actual audible differences or to this phenomenon?

I see those who would simply dismiss those who put photographs of themselves in their freezers, but insist that interconnects and speaker cables are audibly different because "they heard it" even though those with photographs of themselves in their freezers also "heard it."

See what I'm getting at here?

What's that Forrest Gump line, about life and fruitcakes?  I can't remember, something like that perhaps applies here too.

Mmmm. Fruitcakes? Think it was a box of chocolates wasn't it? "Life is like a box of chocolates. You don't know what you'll get."

You know why i like this conversation with you?  Is because you are a CABLE GUY!  and you're discussing the false faiths people have with products in your very industry.  You're bold Steve, don't let anyone tell you any different  :wink:

Why thank you for the kind words. I've enjoyed this conversation with you because you haven't taken anything personally or tried to read things into what I've written which were never there which always makes for a pleasant conversation even if there may be disagreement.

But yeah, I'm bold, though I hear tell of some guy named Wayne who they say is actually... Bolder. :lol:

Seriously though, I don't see it as being bold, but simply being honest with myself. The phenomenon of subjectively perceiving differences even when there may be no actual differences is well established, and I have yet to see any convincing, conclusive proof of actual audible differences between cables (within reason of course).

What am I to make of these two facts? Best I can say is I have no answer. I simply don't know. And I'm quite content not knowing.

I was actually basically called a pussy by someone for this. Instead, I should take a leap of faith, adopt one belief or the other and be prepared to fall on my sword like a man should it end up I made the wrong choice.

I simply can't understand that sort of mindset.

se

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
There are a number of things which can contribute to the subjective perception of differences even when there are no physical or actual audible differences which have absolutely nothing to do with what people want to believe.

My point is that the phenomenon is real and has been long established. And that begs the question, how exactly does one know if their perception of differences is due to actual audible differences or to this phenomenon?

I see those who would simply dismiss those who put photographs of themselves in their freezers, but insist that interconnects and speaker cables are audibly different because "they heard it" even though those with photographs of themselves in their freezers also "heard it."

You've gone nuts. You're liable to get yourself committed to some sort of audio asylum with that kind of talk.
Now I think I'm going to head to the fridge for a picture of myself and a beer.

cheers,

AJ

p.s. Next thing you'll be saying that some audiophiles might have loose screws http://72.14.209.104/search?q=cache:Q1mRyiVXS6sJ:www.normankoren.com/Audio/index.html+Norman+Koren+loose+screws&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
It's really not so simple. There are a number of things which can contribute to the subjective perception of differences even when there are no physical or actual audible differences which have absolutely nothing to do with what people want to believe.

I think....therefore, I am......or am I just imagining things, and therefore just a figment of my own imagination, in which case I really don't exist at all???????

Awww dude, now yer makin' my head hurt...  :duh:

Cheers  :lol:

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!

What am I to make of these two facts? Best I can say is I have no answer. I simply don't know. And I'm quite content not knowing.
se

Steve is migrating from skepticism to agnosticism.   aa  I like it.  :thumb:

Big Red Machine

The Knowledge Wheel

Here's a slide I get tons of mileage out of on a daily basis as a growth coach.  Certainly we try to reduce what we don't know but also discover more information in order to make better decisions. I modified it for Audio Circle in slice 5.

ehider

Anyone reading this thread who believes or thinks cables can't possbily have audible difference really needs to hear a proper audio system/set-up that easily shows these differences. As an Electrical Engineer myself, I can handily tell you that no one with this particular degree learns enough about the wave field effects, interactive conductor/insulator/shield interactions, materials science or any of the dozens of other interactivities that may be preset in small signal effects within audio cables. All of the "technical" arguments from people "schooled" in EE  just don't hold water with me (there needs to be more evidence and testing than just that damn degree!). :dunno:.  Lastly, I am willing to bet right here, right now an even bet of $1,000 that I can readily identify the differences between any cable against my current reference cable. Double blind test, you control the variability of which cable comes first then second, with perfect results 5 times over! The only requirement to meet my wager is that we use my own personal audio system, in my listening room, with my ears. You bring the blindfold. All takers are welcome, I need to make some easy money this month!  aa