OB2X's almost ready, finished picture!

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
OB2X's almost ready, finished picture!
« on: 10 Jul 2007, 09:26 pm »
Just wanted to share a picture of my cab's finished in birds eye maple, cabinet on the right is ready ... one on the left needs a few more coats and some sanding.

I'll have one up and running tonight, the other tomorrow morning.  My VERY tolerant wife will be glad to have the kitchen floor back :)

RAW

Re: OB2X's almost ready, finished picture!
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jul 2007, 09:41 pm »
Well done :thumb:
Those look great, I like the look of Birdseye Maple.
Are you doing bases as well?

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #2 on: 10 Jul 2007, 09:45 pm »
Well done :thumb:
Those look great, I like the look of Birdseye Maple.
Are you doing bases as well?

Thanks Al, a compliment from the master himself feels good!

Yes, I plan on doing some bases but am undecided on exactly what they'll look like.  The tweeter is already pretty high, so I want a low-profile base, no more than and inch or so of extra height with spikes.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
Hey Al ... tweeter polarity
« Reply #3 on: 10 Jul 2007, 10:14 pm »
Hey Al, which side is the + on the tweeter?  I assumed it was the red, but when I hooked it up that way to test I got a big suckout, so I hooked it up with the blue as the + side and it looked good. 

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #4 on: 10 Jul 2007, 10:47 pm »
Great work!

Didn't waste any time gettin' on those eh?  :lol:

Cheers

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #5 on: 10 Jul 2007, 11:19 pm »
WTF, something isn't right!

This is one speaker with just the midrange and tweeter hooked up, Green is with the tweeter + hooked to the red terminal, Red is with the tweeter + hooked to the blue terminal.  Measurement taken at 1 meter and gated.  What's up with the huge suckout at 2800hz?  And why is the tweeter level down so far?

I checked my wiring about 47 times because I knew once I glued that back panel on, that's it ... she's done.  This is depressing, time to break out the Tequila.

RAW

« Reply #6 on: 11 Jul 2007, 03:14 am »
First off the terminals when looking at the back of the ribbons and the terminals at the top .The right is the positive.

Now the issue you are having looks like a soldered connection.
First off pull the mic back one meter  and shoot the 2 of them and see what you get? not gated

But looks like a connection not made.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #7 on: 11 Jul 2007, 04:59 am »
Well, I spent about 4 hours testing and on/off the phone with Danny.  I did find one wiring mistake in the tweeter network, but fixed that and the FR is still way way off.  The tweeter rolls off way too fast and too early, and the midrange looks like a 1st order rolloff starting around 500hz.  The result is a suckout from 2-3000hz, and tweeter level that's 4-5db too high. 

I'm too tired to upload a new picture, but Danny and I are both totally stumped.  Both speakers measure almost exactly the same, both just as wrong.  I've went over the tweeter and midrange network 100 times and don't see any mistakes.

... talk about frustrating!

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #8 on: 11 Jul 2007, 05:05 pm »
First Turbo, they look great!  Birdseye is cool stuff.  Next, can you get at the components to double check the values printed on them?  Danny's never sent me any wrong components, but if your wiring/soldering is good, what's left is maybe a wrong component value - unlikely that both tweets would be defective, but hey, that's also in the realm of possibilities.

RAW

« Reply #9 on: 11 Jul 2007, 05:25 pm »
Danny and I talked and this may be a issue with the top of the cabinet not having any foam as we had on our test cabinets.

Try some on top of the cabinet and see what you get for a response.
Danny is out of town and I am waiting for stock to arrive otherwise I would test it myself.
You can see the foam on the top of the cabinet in the photo below.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #10 on: 11 Jul 2007, 05:48 pm »
I just sent you a PM Al ...

The foam might make a tiny difference in measured response, but no way is it going to change things in the way I need.  The midrange level is down 4-5db, and the totally wrong shape.  The tweeter response shape looks ok, except it rolls off way too fast ... it's down about 17db by 2000hz.

I feel totally hosed right now because I can't get to the crossover boards the way I need.  I can see them and have some access through the port hole, and after 1000 double-checks it all looks fine ... but the only way to get them out and test components will be to cut the entire back baffle off the speakers, and ruin all my work. 

I wish these cabinets were designed so that the crossovers were mounted under a false floor with an access panel.  As it is, I'm afraid I'm screwed.

RAW

« Reply #11 on: 11 Jul 2007, 06:30 pm »
Try the foam like I said and lets see. aa
Once I get the drivers from Danny in stock I will assemble the pair here waiting now.

As far as the removable bottom plates, not into it.The crossovers will fit fully assembled threw the port hole in the rear of the cabinet with no issue at all.Even using 14g inductors plus the full sonicap stack platinum caps on top of the stack all the crossovers the crossovers will fit threw the port hole in the rear.
The removable bottom plate works for some advanced wood workers but not for all the DIY to build.

People who want to try and make the removable plate system can but our plans will not show it as they are just a plan simple cabinet to build with lots of room to mount the crossovers threw the port hole(we even supply the wood for the crossovers to mount to.

Let me know what you find if I do not get the woofers first.Any day now I hope

IronForge

« Reply #12 on: 12 Jul 2007, 12:42 am »
Danny and I talked and this may be a issue with the top of the cabinet not having any foam as we had on our test cabinets.

Try some on top of the cabinet and see what you get for a response.
Danny is out of town and I am waiting for stock to arrive otherwise I would test it myself.
You can see the foam on the top of the cabinet in the photo below.

Hey Al, that looks like mine!

I do have one up and running with all three crossovers assembled.  Measuring equipment is something I don't have, so I have to go by ear.  So far so good, would such a "suckout" be obvious to the ear?

TurboFC3S, I agree with you that it will probably be a little tight to get the crossovers out.  So far I plan to hotglue mine.  I had some worries about being able to get it back out after I glue it, but with the tight confines any method would probably make for  difficult removal.  You mentioned you screwed yours in?

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #13 on: 12 Jul 2007, 02:19 pm »
Well, I tried the foam ... and of course no significant difference in measured response.  I've looked over the crossovers so many times it's ridiculous, I don't see any errors.  I wish somebody else with measuring gear had theirs done, because all I can think is that there's an error in the network schematics or the drivers are way off.

IronForge - do yours sound a touch bright on top?  I don't know how well trained your ears are, but it can be pretty hard to hear flaws in the frequency response.

RAW

« Reply #14 on: 12 Jul 2007, 02:50 pm »
I will have one together in the next day the woofers just arrived.

RAW

« Reply #15 on: 13 Jul 2007, 02:12 am »

Well I will have to agree with Danny 100% looks like a wiring error in the crossover some were is what you have a issue with.

I just threw the parts on the floor and in 4 minutes shot this in room measurment with the parts used in the kits nothing but a complete kit which was sent out.
I did try a to make a few loose connections at different points to get what you are getting ,but so far I can not copy the same thing you have as far as a issue.

I did notice we use the same MAudio USB Transit, but we use Praxis.

machine

« Reply #16 on: 13 Jul 2007, 02:55 am »
Al,

Do you think you could take pictures of the crossovers and email them to those who purchased a kit and want them?

I'll take a set, just to be sure I don't mess any thing up.

Would be good to put on your documentation cd, sort of a "crossover for dummys" addendum. (I think I've heard of other kit mfgs. doing this).

Still cleaning the garage to make room to build my 2 pairs.

Want to do it right (1st time building).

IronForge

« Reply #17 on: 13 Jul 2007, 03:24 am »
Well, I tried the foam ... and of course no significant difference in measured response.  I've looked over the crossovers so many times it's ridiculous, I don't see any errors.  I wish somebody else with measuring gear had theirs done, because all I can think is that there's an error in the network schematics or the drivers are way off.

IronForge - do yours sound a touch bright on top?  I don't know how well trained your ears are, but it can be pretty hard to hear flaws in the frequency response.

I would say my ears are not trained at all.  Overall they sound really good.  As far as being bright, maybe just a slight hair.  Bare in mind that the speakers, or the capacitors, or my receiver for that matter are not broken in.  I am using a panasonic receiver (XR25) with a digital amplifier that has very low hours on it.  From what I have read things should smooth out a little after things are broken in.

I have tested the same speaker with two different sets of crossovers and it sounds the same.

The GR 12" sub really blends in nicely with these.

RAW

« Reply #18 on: 13 Jul 2007, 03:36 am »
We are working on a set that will be going out on a review.
Once I get the assembled crossovers done for both stock and full upgraded crossovers with Sonicap and Platinum's I will email them to you all and yes they will go on our CD.
The kits sold way faster than we thought and we had to rush some documents threw just to get the first orders out .

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #19 on: 13 Jul 2007, 04:12 am »

Well I will have to agree with Danny 100% looks like a wiring error in the crossover some were is what you have a issue with.

I just threw the parts on the floor and in 4 minutes shot this in room measurment with the parts used in the kits nothing but a complete kit which was sent out.
I did try a to make a few loose connections at different points to get what you are getting ,but so far I can not copy the same thing you have as far as a issue.

My measured response doesn't look much different that that, but a 5-6db depression through the midrange is a lot different than the published 1.5-2db depression.