What made you pick AVA above the rest?

Listens2tubes

What made you pick AVA above the rest?
« on: 10 Jul 2007, 01:59 pm »
With the plethora of brands, not to mention designs, available to us from the various venue's how did you come to Van Alstine?

:roll: Inquiring minds want to know.;-)

Zheeeem

Re: What made you pick AVA above the rest?
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jul 2007, 03:10 pm »
In... I think... 1978... I had the chance to buy a FET-5 Mark II from a guy in a (long defunct) hifi shop for $100.  It had just received a rave writeup in TAS.  It worked great, and I kept it for many many years before upgrading it to a SuperFet (or something like that).  Rugged, good sounding gear really appeals to me, and that's what I found when I found AVA (or actually Jensens).  I eventually sent a Hafler amp to Frank for rebuild, then things sort of cascaded and I ended up with 2 AVA rigs - a Superfet/MOSFET 200B for HT and a T-7/350exr/Ultra DAC for my hifi, with several stops along the way.

I have been a customer for 30 years, never had a piece of Frank's gear fail, and have enjoyed the sound of each and every piece.

Toka

« Reply #2 on: 10 Jul 2007, 04:48 pm »
I mentioned this in another thread, but I came across AVA via word-of-mouth (or, in this case, keyboard). The word was this was no-nonsense, solid gear that wasn't coated in pixie dust. I visited the website, then came across this message board. After spending some time, I thought, "hey, this is right up my alley!". I jumped at the chance to get an Omega III amp from a seller here, and after about 3 seconds of listening I knew my gut feeling was on target. Frank may not know it yet, but he has yet another customer for life!  8)

mark funk

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jul 2007, 10:21 pm »
Well I first heard about Frank in 76? 77? at a high end HiFi store on near north Clark Street in Chicago and TAS. I think it was the Double 400 amp that later Dyanco made into the Dyna 416. How did I come to own an AVA HiFi? When I turned fifty I said I going to try one more time at a real Hifi, so I went to Frank and got my first tube preamp T-5 SLR and a Fet/Valve 550EXR6 and T-R DAC. Forget about the money, Franks stuff is about as good as it gets! I am so vary happy with my AVA I will not be buying any more HiFi for a long time, what am I saying, I mean no more, but maybe an upgrade to a T-8? Well see.  :smoke:

Mountain-ear

« Reply #4 on: 11 Jul 2007, 12:13 am »
My story is very similar to Mark Funk's.  I sold hi-fi in the late 70's, and the best sounding rig we ever put together was a Van Alstine amp driving Dahlquist DQ-10's.  That was well out of the price range of a college student, but I swore I would have it one day.  About five years ago, I got the DQ-10's and re-built them.  Then I traded my way up a piece at a time until I arrived at a new T-8 (with the new tube configuration), a new OmegaStar 260EX, and a slightly used OmegaStar DAC.

What impressed me was that Frank was always accessible.  He answered questions for me before I was a customer.  He helped me when a piece of used AVA gear wasn't working properly (not Frank's fault, by the way -- prior owner had built it from a kit and had a few problems).  Heck, he even worked with me on a trade-in for the problem pre-amp for one that was brand spanking new.  I think he didn't want anything with his name on it that wasn't up to his impeccable standards.

Look on the inside of one of his products and you will see workmanship that far exceeds most manufacturers, and I like the idea that his products are designed and built in the USA.  There are very few brands that can make that claim.

Call AVA.  There's a good chance Frank will answer the phone, and I guarantee you that he will answer any and all of your questions.

Steve

tonyptony

« Reply #5 on: 11 Jul 2007, 01:52 am »
I first heard about Frank during the late 70s, reading about his work with Dynaco gear in the enthusiast mags at the time, and then later with Hafler gear. It was much later in the late 80s or early 90s when my audio friend got tired of straight SS amps that he called Frank and was convinced to try a FetValve HC. I listened to it and figured this guy might just know a thing or two, but having just dropped a wad on a new amp myself it wasn't the right time for me. A couple of years ago when my amp crapped out one too many times I decided it was time. I knew my amp (before I got fed up with its reliability) sounded better than many of the others (highly touted big $$ jobs) that I tried in my system, but the memory of what I heard at my friend's house never left me. I have a feeling my AVA amp (now up to an Ultra) will be part of my system for at least as long as my last amp - hopefully longer.

daveshel

« Reply #6 on: 11 Jul 2007, 05:09 am »
I first heard about Frank in about 1981 when I was selling stereos in NE Ohio/NW PA. I had Dynaco gear but couldn't afford the upgrades at the time. A few years ago I recalled his name again and looked him up online. I started with an OmegaStar 170EX and the OmegaStar Pat-5 upgrades then got an Ultimate-70 and a Super Pas Three. I'm sold on the great sound without the boutique prices, and it's great to be able to talk with the designer along the way.

martyo

« Reply #7 on: 11 Jul 2007, 12:55 pm »
Well, more similarities. Entered high-end in the '70's with the Dahlquist and GAS Son and Thoebe. Subscribed to TAS and the "Van Alstine modification of the Dyna 400" was on the recommended list. Very soon, with the high-end salons products and prices and attitude, :roll: I moved away from high-end. Had a friend that managed a mid-fi store (the kind that no longer exist) and his best product was Carver and he cut me deals and I ended up with a Carver set. Over time my listening became pretty casual and infrequent. Music to me is very spiritual and emotional, VERY. Touches me at my core. So along comes the previously mentioned Mark Funk(my bro), and he's talking all this hype, and sends over his T5. Well I was blown away. Shortly I bought a Super PAS 3i on eBay and then earlier this year a T8 and Ultra 550. I even traded in the 3i towards the T8 and Frank was very generous. It's the music for me, which is a big part of my life again. But I need to rattle off this list. Audio Basics! Dutch frugality:no 1/2" faceplates or lighted tubes or......Business acumen: How many people had talent but couldn't run a business, who are there in name only now. His availability: he's the only person I've ever talked to at AVA. His Commitment to improve: I ordered a T8 with 12AT7 tubes. Before I get it he announces they made another upgrade, to the 6N1P's and that he's been shipping them for a couple of months with the upgrade. A substantial upgrade, no price increase........I can afford a world class preamp for $1100 partly because he offers it w/o a phono section and remote.........
These and many more make it a pleasure to buy his products but they are also why his products are so good. My "hobby" is listening to music, not collecting equipment or building equipment and within a limited budget. AVA allows me to do that.
But above all, it still gets down to how it sounds! :thumb:
« Last Edit: 11 Jul 2007, 09:55 pm by martyo »

Dan Kolton

« Reply #8 on: 11 Jul 2007, 08:47 pm »
I started in "Hi Fi" in the early '50s with an 8 watt Heathkit and an 8" Royal Permaflux speaker in a bass reflex baffle (those were the days before stereo).  Sometime maybe in the '60s or '70s, I had upgraded (for the zilloionth time) from a Dyna PAS 3 preamp to an Audio Research (3?), and I'd heard of some of Frank's Dyna mods, so I sent him my PAS just for an experiment.  The results blew away the highly touted and pretty good sounding Audio Research. The rest is history.  Whenever Frank tells me he's made a change that sounds better, I buy it as soon as I can.  My ears say that he has never been wrong!

Wayner

« Reply #9 on: 11 Jul 2007, 11:39 pm »
I wanted a nice 2 channel system so I went to Audio King and bought an Adcom Preamp and power amp. It was only 2 days later that I was back in the store looking for a refund. Then I remembered AVA. So I called Frank (1995?) and ordered an OmegaIII EC and a TOPP DAC, which I still have today. Since then I also own a T8 (6N1P), a 170ex, Ultimate 70 and a very nice 260ex.

Last Sunday, I had a vistor at my house which was a nice suprise, Frank Van Alstine showed up. Of course I knew in advance that he was coming, and it was fun! He had been visiting out my way and thought it would be nice to drop by. It was interesting to hear Frank's comments on the speakers I picked to line up with his equipment. He did like the old Dynaco A25XL's on my 170ex. Maybe not so keen with the Paradigm 40v.3's. That's O.K. because that's what I've been looking for. Good feedback. I will soon be looking at my bank account and Ellis audio's phone number. As far as quality and performance of AVA products and direct service, what else is there?

W

rustneversleeps

« Reply #10 on: 12 Jul 2007, 05:51 am »
I was in the U.S. Air Force in the mid-80's, heavily into electronics, doing component level maintenance (changing out tubes, transistors, capacitors on various equipment), protecting the country against the U.S.S.R.

I don't remember how I heard about the Dynaco, maybe because they made kits, sort related to my line of work at the time, from that I heard about Frank, I still don't remember how, it could be from the Audio magazine. I was very skeptical at the time, yeah right, someone building some state of the art good sounding stereo equipment in his basement, give me a break. I called Frank and got his catalog, I read about his product, but still had the "ha  ha yeah right" attitude.

I got shipped out to Germany in the early 90's, I went on a shopping spree at the Rhine Mien audio club. Hey everything considered high end in the states were half price over there, so I spent thousands on big amplifer, and an Adcom GTP 565 preamp (top of the line, and Stereophile liked it). B&W 801 were $2600 a pair over there, but I didn't buy them, still kicking myself today.

I listened to this system for years, but somehow something told me that they didn't sound right, but since I spent big bucks on them, so they gotta be good, I thought.

Then one day, I remember Frank, and decided to give his product a try. I bought one of his 13 year old used preamp, it needed some work, but after that, I was basically impressed by how it sounded. Then I bought one of Frank's top of the line 10 year old used amp on the internet. After that, Frank's product remains in my main system, and my mega buck system that I bought oversea becomes dust collector.

I hope Frank will never retire, so he can upgrade my system when I am ready.

Mountain-ear

« Reply #11 on: 12 Jul 2007, 11:14 am »
Note to Frank -

Judging from the apparent ages of some of your customers, myself included, you might want to forget about the Rocky Mountain AudioFest and The Absolute Sound and focus on AARP and Modern Maturity... :lol:

All kidding aside, I think there is some truth to the notion that your product appeals to a more experienced buyer.  We've probably all been through the phase where we focus on style over substance -- some stay there longer than others -- but once you let your ears make the decision rather than your eyes, the choice is obvious.

Steve

stereocilia

« Reply #12 on: 19 Jul 2007, 11:59 pm »
For me, the personal testimonials here on AC combined with the generally excellent reputation of AVA got me interested.

weirdo

« Reply #13 on: 21 Jul 2007, 01:46 pm »
1) Unpretentious advertising - It looked like a serious no frills product. My wife ( a keeper ) does not have silly requirements for how electronic gear needs to look as it sits there and performs its function in the house. 

2) Billet like ruggedness - I play the thing for hours every day. I have turned the damn TV off and listen to music instead of advertising. My life is better for it. 
« Last Edit: 24 Jul 2007, 05:40 pm by weirdo »

jrtrent

« Reply #14 on: 23 Jul 2007, 08:25 pm »
I guess I've come to AVA very recently.  My Linn LK1 pre-amp developed a control board fault, and I didn't care for the attitude or pricing for repair that I got from the current USA distributor (nor the lack of support for my LP12 Basik).  In researching other options, I was intrigued by this forum and the articles in the Audio Basics archives.  There was a good buy on a used Omegastar PAT-5 from AVA, it had control features I thought would be useful (tone controls, two moving magnet phono inputs), its narrow width would fit easily into the space vacated by the LK1, and my mother, who was dying of cancer at the time, said all good things come from Minnesota (her home state).  Mr. Van Alstine has been pleasant and informative to deal with, and the sound quality of the pre-amp has not disappointed.  Though I'm not made of money, sometimes I wish my LK2 would die to give me an excuse to try an Omegastar power amplifier--just can't help the feeling that I might be missing something . . .

Legendlime

« Reply #15 on: 24 Jul 2007, 11:24 pm »
When I met my wife a few years back she had a 65" Sony TV. When she moved in I started to do a lot of research to build a surround system. Somewhere along the way I read about B&W speakers with a Van Alstine upgrade to the crossover. I was intriuged to think that someone would have the expertise to come up withan upgrade to what one would think of as a quality piece of equiptment. That led me to AVA.com and from there I read everything I could find about Van Alstine electronics. Very recently I was about to buy a Concept 16.5, the root of my addiction, I bought my first one in 1978, when I remembered AVA. I checked to see what Frank had on his used equipment list. I called and left a message explaining my interest and the next day I was blown away when Frank, himself, called and I bought a Fet Valve 500. With my amp on the way I made a quick move, probably too quick, and bought a vintage Transcendence Sieries Two preamp that has a Jensens Stereo Shop sticker on the bottom and a couple of B&W speakers.
 My set up sounds fantastic and I'm very pleased. I now look forward to many years of upgrades, enjoying Audio Van Alstine electronics as my limited budget provides. 

Thanks,
  Dave

EclecticSeeker

• Archetypical aging audiophile...
« Reply #16 on: 25 Jul 2007, 06:35 pm »
For me it was and is sound quality.  It was almost 30 years ago that I evaluated one of Frank’s preamps against a number of others I was considering buying.  I was a bit hesitant about gear that was built in somebody’s basement, but the only thing that could even get into the same sound quality league was an Audio Research unit at almost five times the price. 

For most of the years since then whenever I was interested in upgrading an amp or preamp, I would carefully do my homework, choose contenders to evaluate, and go out and listen carefully to all of the options – often in an A-B situation.  On rare occasion some other manufacturer’s (far more expensive) piece might compare favorably in a single, specific performance area, but overall, Frank’s gear has always left them in the audio dust. 

After a number of years of putting myself through that process – enjoyable though it was – I don’t bother anymore.  (I am, after all, one of those eligible for AARP membership…)  If Frank comes out with a new piece or upgrade, I know that its gotta be better than anything else out there – at least far better than anything that doesn’t require a second mortgage, and better even than most of those that do! 

charmerci

« Reply #17 on: 5 Dec 2008, 11:44 pm »
In the mid-eighties, I wrote to Frank in response to a small AVA ad in Stereophile about upgrading Hafler and Crown amps and pre-amps. I didn't have the Crown model that he used to upgrade (I think it was the IC-150) but he sent me a couple copies of his Audio Basics newsletters. I then subscribed to it. He said many interesting things that I had never heard of in either Stereophile or the other mainstream audio mags that were out there. (He is STILL the only one who says don't use cones under speakers on a suspended wood floor because it will cause sounds that are not in the original recording.) I also lined a few speakers with Plasti-clay as per his instructions and noticed the differences.

After starting with a Hafler rebuild, I continued buying his stuff because his prices were so cheap back then and his writing about audio just began to make more and more sense after the audioflake community started talking about sound differences using Mongo(?) dots along with $10K speaker cables, etc.

For a while I kept going into high end shops and just not hearing anything better - outside of ONE system in which speaker cables probably cost 5 times more than what I spent on my AVA recommended system. The more I listen to my system, the more I love listening to it. Now I can make pretty quick and accurate evaluations about other systems. (I visited Frank many years ago. We listened to several recordings and he did say to me that my audio evaluations were valid.) 

It's just not worth my time and (tons of) money to look at other companies because anyway, as the years go by, Frank's recommendations have always been spot on.

Crimson

« Reply #18 on: 5 Dec 2008, 11:58 pm »
Trial and error.

I used to be a preamp slut, swapping them out on average 2-3 times per year since being infected by the audiophilia nervosa bug in the mid 90's. Then about three years ago I talked to Frank and bought the T-7 ECR. It's been in my system ever since. It just sounds right.

Wayner

« Reply #19 on: 5 Dec 2008, 11:59 pm »
Welcome to the Audiocircles and AVA!

Wayner  :D