What made you pick AVA above the rest?

jrtrent

follow-up
« Reply #40 on: 18 Dec 2008, 03:27 pm »
As a follow-up to my 2007 post earlier in this thread, I have now been able to hear an OmegaStar amp in my system.  A driver failed in one of my Linn Sara speakers and, since replacement drivers were not available, I ended up buying a pair of Vandersteen 1C's.  While my Linn LK2 continues to work well, I wanted to try an AVA amplifier along with my OmegaStar PAT-5 preamp, and Frank recommended his least expensive product, the OmegaStar 240EX, as best matching my needs.  When the Insight design came out a short while later, Frank e-mailed me offering to upgrade it to Insight status at no charge (don't know if I should have mentioned this--circumstances and policies do change--but it's just another example of great customer service!).  The LK2 is a highly musical device, but the little Insight amplifier (and the OmegaStar version, too) provides satisfying pace, drive, and tunefulness while taking better advantage of the Vandersteens' strengths in instrument localization, soundstage width/depth, and transparency.  I am daily amazed at the amount of musical pleasure so modest a system can deliver (and using an LP12/Ittok/M97xE combination as my primary source).

kpetersonchicago

Re: What made you pick AVA above the rest?
« Reply #41 on: 19 Dec 2008, 01:32 am »
jrtrent, thank you for posting your thoughts and impressions.. I'm a 'LINNIE' too - (active LK gear and Ninkas) and have found so many others' kit to be flat and snoozy.

I'm keenly interested in VA gear - esp for my ATC, and have been watching carefully on the forums. An admitted 'anglophile', when gear hits the timing and syncopation rightly, I'm hooked. The goosebumps are delicious.

The best teacher I ever has was a no BS master plumber. He said things plainly and lived life in the proof of what he had done (many big things). Frank consistently reveals himself to be another such honest person. I look forward to tasting his aural pudding.

Cheers,
KP

turkey

« Reply #42 on: 19 Dec 2008, 02:18 pm »

I look forward to tasting his aural pudding.

You certainly have a unique way with words. :)

RH LONGMATE

« Reply #43 on: 19 Feb 2010, 08:49 pm »

To:  Frank Van Alstine  &  Audio by Van Alstine  (AVA)   { Frank & Engineering Staff }

Since I’ve known him, Frank’s reputation has always preceded him.
Those in the “know” concerning professional audio, AES and otherwise, provided my  “unanimous” referrals.

For more than 30 years his name and his exceptional organization have been indelibly inscribed within the “Who’s Who of Professional Audio”.  His initial modifications of Dynaco & Hafler equipment have become legendary, as has his reputation.

From day one, more than 30 years ago, to present,  AVA’s  “Value to Price”  equation has been unmatched & unfailingly beyond reproach.

“Virtual” Sonic Perfection need not have an MSRP matching that of a fine automobile.  Gone are the days where two “complete” audio systems are required.  The less expensive one exclusively for use during the week – Monday thru Friday. 
The master system “powered up” only on the weekends;  much like the “weekends only” exotic supercar sparingly used to minimize the readings on each respective hour meter.  The owner most apprehensive about reliability of both “high strung” exotics – the car and the (master) audio system.  For the owner knows it’s only a matter of time for the dreaded “downtime(s)” and subsequent disappointment(s).

What “peace of mind” is elicited when the word RELIABILITY need not be cause for anxious moments?  ALL  AVA  products are engineered for maximum “headroom” to operate flawlessly with “Zen Like” harmony attainable only due to painstaking “attention to detail” regarding the patented electronics designs, section by section.  All matched circuits operate “QUIETLY”, without strain, assuring the ultimate in reliability, year in and year out.

THESE FEATURES:  NOT AVAILABLE ELSEWHERE – AT ANY PRICE !

Within the realm of sensibility (dare I say sanity),  EACH  AVA  product built with the finest “state of the art ” components, most cost effectively.   DESIGNED, ENGINEERED &  “HAND BUILT”  IN THE U.S.A., courtesy of Minnesota. 

At  AVA,  regardless of product type:  tube, solid-state, hybrid  or  it’s specific price point, their hallmark  “attention to detail”  from engineering to execution  ensures the best Sonics, most cost effectively.

Notably, EACH  AVA  product designed to allow for future updates  -  therefore, “ Outwitting Obsolescence ”,  most cost effectively. 

MASS PRODUCTION - ELSEWHERE  -  EACH  AVA  product  “ custom built to order ”, not only assuring the client of a  fresh  NEW product, but ensuring the incorporation of the latest design “updates” available.

At  AVA,  Rotation of “Stock” - ABSOLUTELY  A  NON-ISSUE

EXCLUSIVELY:
AVA designed products provide a three year warranty, as well, a 30 Day Satisfaction Guarantee.

Having invested considerable monies with Frank and AVA,  I’ve had many years to consider that EACH  AVA  product, with which I’ve had the pleasure to audition, is a signature INVESTMENT of what I would consider is most likely  ~ 96 to 97 %  SONIC PERFECTION  with  100 % RELIABILITY.

Based on my professional opinion – that most elusive of ~ 3.0 % to ~ 4.0 % net gains  ( “The Holy Grail” )  is indeed  PRICELESS  -  In my estimation, NOT WORTHY OF THE “fanatical” MONEY OR YOUR SANITY.

ALL AVA products provide HIGH RESOLUTION AUDIO:  Sonic Perfection - with a Conscience.  ABSOLUTE SOUND – ABSOLUTELY  and  RELIABLY.

Product  “FAILURE”  NEVER an option - NOT within the  AVA  “DNA” !

QUALITY  built  Audio by Van Alstine’s  Reputation
--  PRIDE  ( and PASSION )  Guarantees it.

Sold Everyday  @  AVA  -  PRICING  with a  Conscience.

Exquisitely competent audio engineering affordable for the masses  -  NO LONGER A DREAM!

STILL, After all these years, the most cost effective & BEST SOUND this side of the Sun.

CONGRATULATIONS TO ONE AND ALL @  AVA !

Semper Fi
RH LONGMATE

rockadanny

« Reply #44 on: 20 Feb 2010, 12:32 am »
Sound quality, build quality, no bs, and customer service.  :thumb:

10ear

« Reply #45 on: 20 Feb 2010, 01:53 am »
If my feeble mind remembers correctly, I saw an add in an audio journal in the early '80's (small in the classified section) for a company in Minn. that modified Dyna and Hafler gear.  I responded and was told they had a representative who lived about 3 hours from me who would demo this modified gear.  I went, I listened, I was hooked. My memory does not allow me to note all the equipment I have had, have had modified and still have and enjoy. I am at this point, with the Ulta series of pre, DAC and 550 Amp. I am seriously considering moving in to the newest series, but I am not sure I can hear the improvement

One of the things,  I find so helpful/endearing about AVA, is that for lo these this many years, when I have called about something, invariably, Frank answers the phone and has the time/interest in me and what I am trying to do/learn about where I am and what the latest developement is, to help me sort out what I need to consider and do. How many major or minor companys in any venue can you expect this. So far in these many upgrades/new components, he has not steered me wrong.

In these times, as a retired person, it is a real challenge to decide what to do within this hobby/affliction. What I can say is that unequivocally, if you talk to Frank and listen to his advice, you will have a very good audio experience for your enjoyment and dollar.

Thanks for listening.... Ole 10 ear

Listens2tubes

« Reply #46 on: 20 Feb 2010, 02:33 am »
Since I never answered my own question as the OP here goes: Back in early 1997 I started looking for a tube preamp for my Dynaco MK. IV pair. I had been using a Kenwood Basics C1 sourced from a friend. It seemed I would have to spend a couple thousand dollars from what I read online. Then I saw an ad for Audio by Van Alstine. I called to ask for a catalog, expecting to talk to a receptionist or answering machine. To my pleasant surprise I heard 'Audio by Van Alstine, Frank Van Alstine speaking.' I was talking to the man!  I explained my need and Frank responded with a deal on a used Super Pas 4i at the princely sum of $399.00. He had not tried to sell me a Super PAS 5, 6 or 7 at 2-3 times the price. I took delivery of the Super Pas 4i in March of 1997 was happy with it for 9 years. Then in March of 2006 I had Frank upgrade the 4i to Transcendence Eight. Over the years I had called Frank with questions that were answered with truthful integrity, never sales talk.  This January I was lucky to find a modern T8 that Frank checked over and added the Insight Phono stage to. I couldn't wait till March this time. :lol:  These days after hanging with Frank and the guys at RMAF the last 3 years I can report that Frank is the real deal.

Long may he prosper :beer:

JHC

« Reply #47 on: 2 Mar 2010, 09:28 pm »
I don't really recall why I chose AVA and I have to say I only own a SuperPAS preamp. At the time I bought the preamp I was working in manufacturing building ("re-work") hard drives. I soldered wire that was diameter of a hair under a 16x microscope. That's the extent of my electrical knowledge. So when I first opened the SuperPAS, I was stunned by the clean wire routing, the soldering, the layout, just the overall obvious attention to detail and quality that I had been trained to look for. I thought to myself - "Holy cow, this guy is good." Although I haven't (yet) bought something else, I always come back to his web site and these forums.

bob nielsen

« Reply #48 on: 16 Mar 2010, 12:23 am »
Back in the '70s I was married w/ kid and broke.  I had a junker PAS that someone sent me
to Frank to get fixed.  After meeting Frank, seeing what he did and hearing the stuff in his
basement I was hooked !

I worked in electronic assembly and testing at the time.  Told Frank I wanted to work for him,
then proved myself and for the next 10, maybe 15 yrs, did allot work with Frank. 
Then my other career got in the way.

I owe allot to Frank !

floresjc

« Reply #49 on: 14 Mar 2013, 04:02 am »
I'm a relative newby to high end audio. I was fortunate enough to have some money to throw at it, and I knew that I didn't want to go with big box maker for speakers or electronics. Everyone has a JBL or Boston Acoustics set. Some years ago, I came across Salk Speakers, when he basically was making HT1's and HT3's out of his garage. I told myself if I ever had the money, I would get some Salks. In the process of studying Salk, I inevitably came across AVA.

I didn't realize how important electronics were to the system. I went in thinking I'd use an old receiver and some high end Salks. The more research I did, the more I came to realize that balance was important in an audio system. You didn't want to put a Geo engine in a Ferrarri. So I started looking more and more into AVA's offerings.

I came to appreciate the personal touch a small company like Frank has created in my audio quest. If I have questions on a product, I get to ask the designer of said product. The guys who built my stuff are the same guys who fix it if it goes wrong. His focus on providing value for the dollar. I love blinky lights as much as anyone, but since I have limited funds, I'm grateful that Frank gives me high performance and durability for what I'm able to spend. I'm also glad that Frank provides good jobs to people here in America, and that highly skilled technicians work on my purchases. I've used just about every aspect of Franks company, I've bought used on the Trading Post and had Frank upgrade the product, I've had warranty repair, I've had new orders, parts replacement, and plain old audio advice/chat. I did quite a bit of it from in the middle of a war in Afghanistan calling at weird hours of the day. There is a level of service and excellence present at AVA that few, if any, companies can match. I'm an AVA customer for life.

Edit: I also wanted to say I appreciate the clarity of Frank's product line. Some companies create about 1000 products which are mostly identical, maybe varying in outer shell design or a part here or there. Frank offers a variety of choice, but not an overwhelming variety of choices of which most are the same. He has tubes, he has solid state, he has his hybrid stuff. Its simple really, and his stuff just works.

pansixt

« Reply #50 on: 14 Mar 2013, 04:32 am »
Ditto on most of what was said above+:

I started out looking for an improvement to my aging ST-70 and Mac SS gear.

I never would have dreamed that I would end up with an amazing amp (Ultimate-70) as well as DAC and preamp that would provide me with the synergy
(great name for a new line) in my system that is as clean, pure and realistic as I now have. But I want more of course (or is it curse).

Most of this I owe to AVA and AC. The Kudos being shared equally I suppose.
If I hadn't also heard this gear on recommendation at one audio fest or another, I never would have moved in the direction that I have.

End result: Happy Listener Me.

dlparker

• Dave Parker - KC, MO
    • DontKnowNuthinBoutNoComputers
« Reply #51 on: 14 Mar 2013, 10:43 pm »
Can't believe I haven't yet put in my two cents worth. Probably because I've been so busy listening to MUSIC!

I first became aware of Frank's stuff when it was Jensen's Stereo Shop (?), maybe as early as the late 60s/early 70s. I was a (very inept) kit builder and wannabe audiophile (couldn't afford the "top end"). I'd read glowing reviews of his stuff but always stuck with the lower end (what I could afford) of the typical local "Billy Bob's Stereo/HiFi" as opposed to "record players", "consoles", or "big box store" type stuff. In the late 70s/early 80s I even bought a PAT5 to be modified that I still have in it's original, unaltered state. From late 60s through early 80s I'd had new and used low end Mac, Marantz, Fisher, and other brands.

Finally, about five or six years ago, long after I'd decided that my blown ears (age, ear infections, loud - sometimes to the point of pain - live music) I saw a rebuilt PAT5 on the AVA used list for a price I couldn't pass up. I sprung for it. I got it, hooked it up, and was astounded! Forget my tinnitus  at somewhere around 9kHz or so. I could hear stuff that I never knew was there! Next I got a used AVA power amp, then a used Insight DAC (I may have the order wrong here). I've upgraded the preamp to a Transcendence III FetValve, the power amp to an Insight+ 250. All used off the AVA used eqpt page. Somewhere along the way I upgraded my Scott model 66 (I think) bookshelf speakers to a pair of Hsu HB1-Mk2s and bought a used Hsu STF2 off Audiogon. I don't use the sub much because there's so much clean, clear low freq MUSIC I hear without it. Each upgrade has been a revelation. I'd LIKE to have one each of the highest end of Frank's line, plus the top end Salk that would make sense for my listening area, but the whole idea is to listen to music.

Bottom line, for performance first, as well as bang for buck, I feel no need to consider anyone else's gear, except maybe for a high quality 2-channel to multi-channel converter if I ever go multi-channel.  I'll upgrade my current setup as I can afford it, but I'll probably look no further than Frank's stuff, starting with the used eqpt page, for the products he offers. And I haven't even mentioned the extraordinary customer service!

Thanks to Frank and all the fine AVA folks!

dB Cooper

« Reply #52 on: 15 Mar 2013, 12:14 am »
Got hooked on the audio bug very young and as a result, bought (built!) my first Dynaco integrated-amp system when I was 14, Stayed with it for years except for straying briefly to a Kenwood integrated with a giant volume knob. It picked up my local radio station almost as well as my tuner did so back it went very quickly. So, like so many others, I had the ubiquitous Dynaco components already. Then I saw the little ad in the classified section of Stereo Review. Sent for the AVA catalog and they seemed to have credible reasons for why they did what they did, so I sent my FM5 up for a "mod". It did improve the sound so, a few years later, I sent my SCA-80 in for the first all-AVA MOSFET series circuits. That amp sounded fantastic. My friends laughed- until they heard it.

The low start-up cost, having the chassis already, was what got me in. I couldn't see any reason to pay lots more. The value factor- the same reason I bought the Dyna stuff in the first place- kept me in.
Much of today's high end is ridiculous. I see things here like planars in front of (and parallel to) bare hard walls- with expensive little bridges to keep the garden-hose sized speakers off the floor. Frank has always kept his eye on the ball in terms of where and how your audio dollar does the most good. He won't push sugar pills nor oversell you.

tipatina

« Reply #53 on: 16 Mar 2013, 01:29 am »
I'm a recent AVA customer. Eased into tubes with aT8+with built in phono stage. The price was so good I thought it was almost to good to be true considering some of the current (and used) gear most favored by the audiophile cogneseti. I thought that if it turned out to be a disappointment I could sell without too much of a finacial hit. The service (gave my order to Frank Van Alstine directly) was great and the sound continues to surpass what I anticipated. Refreshing not to hear that I need a multithousand dollar cable to fully appreciate the greatness  this or that high dollar compnent.  Now thinking of a DAC for a new Macbook .

murf

• Friends don't let friends apex early
« Reply #54 on: 21 Mar 2013, 03:53 pm »
Hello Audio Experts!
Gee, I was going to relate my story, but after reading this thread I have an uncontrollable desire to go listen to some music on the 400R & T8+....

Later,  Murf

NIGHTFALL1970

« Reply #55 on: 21 Mar 2013, 04:32 pm »
I wanted to replace my 22 year old Classe Audio DR-10 and DR-4L.  I was saving up for an ARC preamp.  A friend recommended that I check out AVA.  I started reading Audio Basics online.  Then I realised that I could buy a new amp and preamp from AVA (and still have some money left over) for what the single ARC preamp would cost.  I purchased a T8+ preamp and was blown  away by the sound quality.  Now I have all of Franks fet valve units and could not be happier.

tabrink

• lake life is good
« Reply #56 on: 22 Mar 2013, 03:31 am »
 8)
It took awhile but I get it! My finest components are AVA. All of my components will be AVA.
Color me AVA for life and it feels so good to be off of the hifi merry go round! They do not break and they sound good!
Thanks for looking,
Tom

iamjaymo

« Reply #57 on: 22 Apr 2013, 03:32 pm »
Hearing AVA gear at the last AK Fest...paired with Salk speakers I thought it was the best sounding room at the Fest.  I now have the Fet Valve: DAC, Pre and 400R!
« Last Edit: 24 Apr 2013, 02:54 pm by iamjaymo »