Cabling

navi

Re: Cabling
« Reply #40 on: 17 Jun 2007, 03:26 am »
I've tried 18ga. enameled wire with cotton http://www.diyaudiostore.com/tech/techinfo.htm it had a very low noise Back ground but lacked dynamics-couldn't beat my acrolink PC and it was rolling off the lows a bit.  I wouldn't actually keep it in my system because I think if my house burnt down- i'm insurance companies won't pay out. the dangers out weigh the positive effects of the cable.

but the 18ga. wire and cotton is a great speaker cable.

I've been experimenting with quad core speaker cables as a power cable (mogami and canare 4S11 speaker cables)

1000a

« Reply #41 on: 17 Jun 2007, 05:09 am »
Navi keep us posted of your findings

I think getting an insurance company to pay for anything is trouble enough as is, so why give em any ground, good point! :lol:  On the other hand if I were to put my faith in insurance companies I would constantly be disappointed as the many many patients who are short changed even in life threating situations are undoubtedly.

Safest is always the best, there is Teflon magwire available if you wanted to try it.
As always could be system dependant, I found stronger, deeper, more defined and better textured bass.  Also more dynamic impact IMS.  So who knows, how much is the acrolink PC some here would like to know I am sure.

I do have a tube amp and am told they are often far more sesitive to PCs than SS?

but the 18ga. wire and cotton is a great speaker cable.

I strongly encourage people to try the SC and ICs and think its safe and a no brainer very hard to beat unless you got serious cash.

I personally see no reason other than looks to put it in cotton, and believe it raises the dielectric.  The Teflon coated magnet wire should easily be the very best dielectric one could get on magnet wire, and would certainly be worth seeking out for the SCs and ICs.
Most of the covering used in the magnet wire industry have heavy dielectric numbers why not up the anti and use the best.  All dielectrics cause distortion: air is best, cotton is #2, teflon is usually #3. :drool: and this is very thin Teflon which should move it up a notch or 2.

TONEPUB

« Reply #42 on: 28 Jun 2007, 05:23 pm »
I noticed an earlier post with the person who had made a power cord with
mag wire....

While I always applaud the DIY crowd, this does look kind of dangerous,
so I called my insurance agent (State Farm) and she told me that with
the insurance agency being pretty overtaxed with all the disasters in the
last ten years, they are ALWAYS looking for a way not to pay a claim.

She said that in the unfortunate event that your house would burn down,
even if it was not caused by that cable, if an inspector should spy something
like that, you would stand a high probability of not geting your claim paid.

Just a little food for thought.....

FastEddy

• Old and in the way ....
    • ... and then some ...
« Reply #43 on: 28 Jun 2007, 06:25 pm »
" ... in the unfortunate event that your house would burn down, even if it was not caused by that cable, if an inspector should spy something like that, you would stand a high probability of not geting your claim paid. ..."

All good reasons for keeping power supply rails below 70.7 volts (AC) = the building code limits for exposed wiring in North America. :nono:

guest1632

« Reply #44 on: 28 Jun 2007, 06:32 pm »
" ... in the unfortunate event that your house would burn down, even if it was not caused by that cable, if an inspector should spy something like that, you would stand a high probability of not geting your claim paid. ..."

All good reasons for keeping power supply rails below 70.7 volts (AC) = the building code limits for exposed wiring in North America. :nono:

What are you talking about?

Ray Bronk

FastEddy

• Old and in the way ....
    • ... and then some ...
« Reply #45 on: 28 Jun 2007, 07:07 pm »
Well, the absolute upper limit voltage on exposed wiring in households and businesses is 70.7 volts, either AC or DC (peak to peak). This is well known to any and all union electricians and electrical contractors and building inspectors in the US and Canada. It turns out that newsprint and other kinds of cheap, combustible paper does not ignite into self sustaining flames unless the voltage is greater than about 90 volts in the absence of accelerants. ... (FYI: it turns out that 70 VAC can still kill if the current is routed through an old man's heart, and 28 VDC is enough to leave a nasty skin burn.) ... is what I'm talking about ...

1000a

« Reply #46 on: 28 Jun 2007, 07:39 pm »
mag wire....

as I have stated about 6 times now in BOLD PRINT, to anyone having any reservation what-so-ever- Do Not Build one.

it is wrong for me to assume anyone on this forum has any perspective on insurance componies, I fully expect them as they always have to do their damdest to not pay squat in any situation. 

It is far easier to just ask them just what exactlty do you guys cover, get the 10 item list, get out your magnifing glass and read the fine print.  Now as far as some wierd DIY Power Cord goes I would expect them to jump on that, and any piece of our stereos we touch to include ERS paper, damping add infinitim.  Yeah they will go out of there way to not pay, who did not know that.  If they do not want to pay regardless of what causes something they can work real hard- my God they can also open up amps and CDPs find it has been tweaked and call us on that also.

I think prudence and safty is important and I honor your freedom and perfect right to call your ins. company and ask questions, but I do think tipping off a ge-gillion dollar industry that all audiophiles should be subject to extreme scrutiny is from my perpective not a good idea.  any thing short of a system not touched in any manor might be come the standard which makes every single one of our systems not approved.

One the same note if you have bought any gear from say Promitheus you can pitch it in the trash, add wooden footer, vibrapods, spikes, non UL approved DIY DACs, amps, speakers, does anybody get my drift. :scratch:

yes a PC would be the raceyist item, call insane what ever, no doubt, but 80% of what we do with our stereos ain't gonna pass muster from an insurance point of view.  Seriously think about it, please do not spot light our hobby to the corporate rape artists, they have hurt enough people with there phenomonal greed.  If I loose my house cause of my PC its my problem, just don't tell those people we are a perfect group to save a bundle on.
That is their stock in trade. :scratch:   

I never claimed it was UL, building inspector approved, USDA, state farm, allstate or any number of various policing agencies in this country or another.  I simply said it sounded very good, that was all.  It is very important to caution people but jesus have we not covered it already?  I will probably just pull the posts to stop the madness.  Forgive me I am sure I am being over sensitive and ranting my brains out.

I do not advocate any body doing anything they think dangerous or stupid, sorry if I seem  frustrated but me posting this stuff, seems a massive mistake.  I think it very important people read the entire post to see what ground has been covered thus far.

if they find an amp without a cover on it in a burnt house same deal, no coverage thats my simple point.  if you do anything out of the ordinary even a commercial after market cord could be held against us, why cause Joe Blow IC maker never got his stuff approved by us so we are not paying sh.......  Fast Eddy has his electrical stuff in one sock as I strongly highlighted a few times in past pages.
I'll probably just pull this stuff, (in fact I was trilled it had died out) forgive my rant. 
this thing is gonna get killed by me - least I be dragged into some kinda frggin court,

so read it today its gone on Friday. :duh:  my mistake :nono:, sorry

1000a

« Reply #47 on: 28 Jun 2007, 07:55 pm »
i just found that my Welborne Labs PS for my SB3 has no ground wire inside the box, its 3 prong to the wall but inside the bow there is nothing wired from the ground terminal to the chassis or board Notta.

Is this safe?  Has he endangered my life?  Is it OK there is no ground wire?
Should I call him?  Seriously.

so maybe in fact a whole new thread should be started say "Audiofile Saftey and the Insurance Companies" not being sarcastic hear maybe we all need a reality check on what risks we take with our hobby.  I guess alot of it won't be covered?? :scratch:- don't really know for fact, no clue really. 

I think that might be the best thing to come out of this thread.  what do you guys think
it could save all of us a bundle in the event of a fire or what not.

guest1632

« Reply #48 on: 28 Jun 2007, 08:11 pm »

as I have stated about 6 times now in BOLD PRINT, to anyone having any reservation what-so-ever- Do Not Build one.

it is wrong for me to assume anyone on this forum has any perspective on insurance componies, I fully expect them as they always have to do their damdest to not pay squat in any situation. 

It is far easier to just ask them just what exactlty do you guys cover, get the 10 item list, get out your magnifing glass and read the fine print.  Now as far as some wierd DIY Power Cord goes I would expect them to jump on that, and any piece of our stereos we touch to include ERS paper, damping add infinitim.  Yeah they will go out of there way to not pay, who did not know that.  If they do not want to pay regardless of what causes something they can work real hard- my God they can also open up amps and CDPs find it has been tweaked and call us on that also.

I think prudence and safty is important and I honor your freedom and perfect right to call your ins. company and ask questions, but I do think tipping off a ge-gillion dollar industry that all audiophiles should be subject to extreme scrutiny is from my perpective not a good idea.  any thing short of a system not touched in any manor might be come the standard which makes every single one of our systems not approved.

One the same note if you have bought any gear from say Promitheus you can pitch it in the trash, add wooden footer, vibrapods, spikes, non UL approved DIY DACs, amps, speakers, does anybody get my drift. :scratch:

yes a PC would be the raceyist item, call insane what ever, no doubt, but 80% of what we do with our stereos ain't gonna pass muster from an insurance point of view.  Seriously think about it, please do not spot light our hobby to the corporate rape artists, they have hurt enough people with there phenomonal greed.  If I loose my house cause of my PC its my problem, just don't tell those people we are a perfect group to save a bundle on.
That is their stock in trade. :scratch:   

I never claimed it was UL, building inspector approved, USDA, state farm, allstate or any number of various policing agencies in this country or another.  I simply said it sounded very good, that was all.  It is very important to caution people but jesus have we not covered it already?  I will probably just pull the posts to stop the madness.  Forgive me I am sure I am being over sensitive and ranting my brains out.

I do not advocate any body doing anything they think dangerous or stupid, sorry if I seem  frustrated but me posting this stuff, seems a massive mistake.  I think it very important people read the entire post to see what ground has been covered thus far.

if they find an amp without a cover on it in a burnt house same deal, no coverage thats my simple point.  if you do anything out of the ordinary even a commercial after market cord could be held against us, why cause Joe Blow IC maker never got his stuff approved by us so we are not paying sh.......  Fast Eddy has his electrical stuff in one sock as I strongly highlighted a few times in past pages.
I'll probably just pull this stuff, (in fact I was trilled it had died out) forgive my rant. 
this thing is gonna get killed by me - least I be dragged into some kinda frggin court,

so read it today its gone on Friday. :duh:  my mistake :nono:, sorry

Hi all,

First let me address my setup. My power amp is plugged in to its own socket with a UL approved cord which I bought on Audiogon for $50. The DVD player is plugged in to a power stick, which is plugged in to the wall above the power amp.

I would suggest that you leave the posting alone. If sheeple want to get worked up because you did indeed use enamel wire for the PC, that's there problem. This country has gone Politically correct to the point to where any new thinking whether it be good or bad is frowned upon. Now, ... if I read the posts correctly, it wasn't enamel wire he was using. It was Teflon-coated Mag wire. That puts this in a whole different spin.So don't remove the thread. Leave it alone.

Ray Bronk

Psychicanimal

« Reply #49 on: 28 Jun 2007, 11:26 pm »

The Absolute Power Cords are UL listed and are incredibly good if cryo treated.  I've tested them against many more expensive power cords.

guest1632

« Reply #50 on: 29 Jun 2007, 12:23 am »

The Absolute Power Cords are UL listed and are incredibly good if cryo treated.  I've tested them against many more expensive power cords.

Hi, I don't remember if that is the one I got or not. It's 8 feet long, and has the plugs already on them in a molded configuration.

Ray

Occam

« Reply #51 on: 29 Jun 2007, 03:11 am »
mag wire....

like that, you would stand a high probability of not getting your claim paid.

Hey Jeff,

Interesting points. Your concern for our community's safety is laudable.
Funny thing, I looked and I looked, but couldn't find in any of your publication's reviews an indication as to which components were actually ETL (government certified electronics testing laboratories, like UL and others) certified. Even simpler, you might get one of those DIY types to show you how to use a meter to determine whether the components you review have their IEC inlet's SAFETY ground is actually connected to their exposed metal chassis. You'll find that some of the bespoke products your publication positively swooned over, don't. As you pointed out, insurance adjusters are seeking ways of denying claims.

Psychicanimal

« Reply #52 on: 29 Jun 2007, 05:11 am »
That's correct, Absolute's come in 8 ft length because they are tuned.  Absolute PCs are not for systems w/o adequate power delivery/noise control setups.  I have a Jena Labs LN2 cryoéd Absolute and it is very neutral and extended at the frequency extremes.  Most other power cords are designed as filters and affect the audio band.  I had a $1500 Shunyata in my system and it was rolled off in the highs.  My friend bought a pair of VAC 220 monoblocks and it did almost nothing for them, so he sold all three of his expensive Shunyatas.

My other favorite neutral cord is the Audio Prism Super Natural 9.5 but if I stay unemployed it might have to go.  I really like it in my Modwright modded Marchand X-9 electronic x-over cause it is not microphonic.  It's more neutral than the VenHaus Flavor 4, though not as intense.  I tune it using a Highwire Wirewrap.

http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/audioprism_supernatural95.htm