The best sounding "ipod-like media player"?

Imperial

• Love keeps us in the air, when we ought to fall.
The best sounding "ipod-like media player"?
« on: 11 Jun 2007, 01:14 pm »
Greetings!

What is the currently best sounding miniplayer these days?
I.E the player with the best possible playback quality?
Is it Ipod, I-river, Zune... what ever it is called?

Which player is the absolutely best at playing back the files with maximum fidelity?
And, is there someone that upgrades/mods that unit to even better quality?

Thanx for all hints regarding this as I'm really looking these days for a portable player/storage unit!

Imperial

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: The best sounding "ipod-like media player"?
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jun 2007, 01:52 pm »
Personally, I feel it's the Ipod, modded to something called the iMod.  Vinnie Rossi, of RedWine Audio does this, and it's a beautiful sound.   If you're thinking in that direction, contact Vinnie in his Circle here, and make sure you buy the correct stock iPod model (he only mods those which have room, and the right dac chip).

robert1325

« Reply #2 on: 11 Jun 2007, 02:30 pm »
Hi,

The trekstor Vibez or Kenwood HD30G09 are very very good DAP's

For retro look at Rio karma or carbon ( less power)

The Imod is also very good but there are some reports on head-fi where people found the Vibez better.

Samsung DAPs should be very nice to ( T9 / Z5 / K3 )

Robert

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 11 Jun 2007, 02:44 pm »
I've heard decent reports on the Vibez, but 8 or 12 gig doesn't go far with lossless audio.

gooberdude

« Reply #4 on: 11 Jun 2007, 03:21 pm »
If sound quality is your #1 parameter then you have to check out the Imod from Redwine.   It completely transforms the Ipod...

RedWine audio is now modding 2 difft versions.  I have the 4th generation 40gb Imod and now they are modding the brand new Video Ipods, which is really cool but costs about 2x as much as the 4th Gen Imod.

Imperial

« Reply #5 on: 11 Jun 2007, 05:46 pm »
Thanx! I'll check out the different suggestions and think it over!
I also need a small headset to go with this.
I was thinking about Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5 Pro "ear" phones.

Anyone tried these on any of the mentioned players?

Imperial

saisunil

« Reply #6 on: 11 Jun 2007, 09:37 pm »

Imperial

I'd skip UE 5Pro - I had them - they have boomy bass. Try the new shure IEMs - they have good reviews too - buy what you can afford. If you are not going to get external headphone amp - then you may want to buy vibes (less than $100) - apparently great sounding.

Cheers

randytsuch

« Reply #7 on: 11 Jun 2007, 10:40 pm »
If I remember correctly, the only thing with the imod is then you would also need an external amp.  I think vinnie bypasses the ipod's opamp, and so an imoded ipod can't drive a set of cans.

I have the pro's, and don't think they have boomy bass.   The EB's definitely have boomy bass, but they were intended to sound like that.

Randy

viggen

« Reply #8 on: 11 Jun 2007, 11:07 pm »
If you don't want to mod, Cowon JetAudio daps are the best sounding.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 11 Jun 2007, 11:29 pm »
If I remember correctly, the only thing with the imod is then you would also need an external amp.  I think vinnie bypasses the ipod's opamp, and so an imoded ipod can't drive a set of cans.

Randy

It's a line out (fixed level).  You'll need, at a minimum, some volume attenuator.  In his new version he saves the headphone out (for unmodded use), while in its original version (the one I own) it replaces the headphone out jack for the new modded line out, making the stock line out normally buried in the dock connector unusable.  It's ok with me , cuz the variety of long-term battery add-on's, etc use the dock conenctor so the normal stock line out was impossible to access anyway.

I use a headphone amp, yes, and love it.

TONEPUB

« Reply #10 on: 12 Jun 2007, 12:01 am »
Cast another vote for Vinnies iMod...
I love mine!!

boead

« Reply #11 on: 12 Jun 2007, 01:09 am »
Any of the Creative Labs Zen Players.
http://www.creative.com/products/welcome.asp?category=213

Better on battery life, awesome sound and navigation – remember they have the paten on the navigation (just like iPod) that Apple is suppose to pay royalty too.
Most have a built-in FM radio, voice recorder and it has a organizer (tasks, contacts, calendar) that syncs with MS Outlook. You don’t need software to access it either. It also supports drag and drop music, video and pictures from Windows Explorer.

http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=213&subcategory=214&product=14331

Loftprojection

« Reply #12 on: 12 Jun 2007, 01:49 am »
Imod is for audiophile.  If you only care about sound quality, the Imod is the way to go.  It has a Wolfson DAC in there and RedWineAudio makes sure that it is exploited to it's maximum with the mod they perform.  Many people got rid of expensive CD players after listening to the Imod on their expensive systems.  I like mine quite a bit, it is really surprising the quality of sound that comes out of it when you hook it up and think that this is just a toy portable device. 

boead

« Reply #13 on: 12 Jun 2007, 10:11 pm »
Thanx! I'll check out the different suggestions and think it over!
I also need a small headset to go with this.

Anyone tried these on any of the mentioned players?

Imperial

Have you tried in-ear buds?

I absolutely hate them! Painful after just a little while.

Also there is a lack of air, not just in the musical presentation but physically in your ear canal! Gives me a headache and make me physically sick to my stomach. Especially after more then a half hour.

Sounds like you want portable music that’s the ‘best’ it can be but I have found (I’m a big headphone fan too) that it’s just not convenient. You end up walking around with pocket sized headphone amps, bulky cables with oversized and heavy ends and so on.
If you mean portable, like for a hotel room or a pool side resort, or even for work then the compromise in portability is lessened. You don’t need (or want) an in-ear phone then, best with a nice open can. But if you’re talking about for walking around the yard or city street – train, bus or subway commute the fidelity is best compromised for portability.

Portables can drive low impedance ear-buds or clip-on’s well enough to still get lots of enjoyment from the music. Fidelity is way better then you think (remember that the iPod ear buds suck shite, so don’t judge one by them) and environmental noise is unavoidable.

bcretty

« Reply #14 on: 12 Jun 2007, 10:49 pm »
Without hearing an iMod the Trekstor Vibez would be my vote. Better sound then my 4th gen iPod (Unmodded) and 2nd gen 8gig Nano  with ALO Cotton Doc. I currently use Westone UM2 IEM's on the go without an amp. I'm waiting for an Xin SuperMicro amp  to go with an ALO  right to straight mini cable. All of this fits nicely in a Lowepro Apex 30 AW mini digital camera bag connected to the strap of my messenger bag. Nice and compact and easily fits in the palm of my hand. I also listen to Allesandro Ms-1's ( Grado) at home with a SQ-84 tube integrated amp.

Enjoy.
Brian
« Last Edit: 12 Jun 2007, 11:03 pm by bcretty »

Scott F.

« Reply #15 on: 13 Jun 2007, 12:04 am »

viggen is right. I've compared the iRiver and the iPod to my iAudio X-5 and the Cowon unit sounds the best (to my ears). It plays flac files or nearly any other format you can think of. I've got the 60gig that I use with standard cans (Grado's) and earbuds (Shure).

I've never had issues with it scrambling the song order or loosing titles like some of the players have. The interface with your computer is a simple drag and drop. No need for 3rd party software as the computer recognizes it as an external hard drive. Oh, if you are into movies that you need to use a magnifying glass to watch, it plays them too (I shouldn't poke fun it this as its screen size is typical, I just don't see why anyone would want to watch a movie on a 2" screen no matter how cool that feature is).

It also has an internal mic in case you want to record something or you can run a stereo mic into the line in. The case is rigid metal and holds up very well to abuse (I'm clumsy at times). It's price is slightly less than the iPod but in my opinion, you get a much better player.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #16 on: 13 Jun 2007, 12:27 am »

viggen is right. I've compared the iRiver and the iPod to my iAudio X-5 and the Cowon unit sounds the best (to my ears). It plays flac files or nearly any other format you can think of. I've got the 60gig that I use with standard cans (Grado's) and earbuds (Shure).

I've never had issues with it scrambling the song order or loosing titles like some of the players have. The interface with your computer is a simple drag and drop. No need for 3rd party software as the computer recognizes it as an external hard drive. Oh, if you are into movies that you need to use a magnifying glass to watch, it plays them too (I shouldn't poke fun it this as its screen size is typical, I just don't see why anyone would want to watch a movie on a 2" screen no matter how cool that feature is).

It also has an internal mic in case you want to record something or you can run a stereo mic into the line in. The case is rigid metal and holds up very well to abuse (I'm clumsy at times). It's price is slightly less than the iPod but in my opinion, you get a much better player.

The big plus with the Cowon is the fact that it plays FLAC files.

With 2000+ cd's ripped using FLAC for my main system, my next media player must be able to handle FLAC files.

Does anybody know why they discontinued to 60GB version?

George

bcretty

« Reply #17 on: 13 Jun 2007, 12:39 am »
The Trekstor is rated better by many over at Headfi. Plays flac, ogg, mp3 etc... gapless.  Uses the Sigmatel chip designed by Rio, the founders of the legendary Karma and has a 5 band customizable  EQ. If you need the storage space Cowon Audio would be my first choice but if you don't then the Trekstor all the way. If going Cowon wait for the new line up coming later this year.

bcretty

« Reply #18 on: 13 Jun 2007, 12:54 am »

Does anybody know why they discontinued to 60GB version?

George

[/quote]

I believe it's being replaced by a new model later this year.

Brian

Imperial

« Reply #19 on: 13 Jun 2007, 10:11 am »
Again, thanks everyone for a very good overview of the miniplayer choices.

My options, players:
  • Imod from Redwine, requires an extra amp?
  • Cowon JetAudio daps, choice of HD or card players
  • Trekstor Vibez

My options, in ear buds/ small headphones:
  • WESTONE UM2
  • Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5 Pro /or the new 10
  • Shure E5, or similar model from shure

O.k Now all I have to do is look at the small "partnering" amps out there.
A carrying case of some sort and then I'm closer to a moving nirvana!

I know, I'm an audiophile, but I've only ever had a discman for years, for sound on the go.
It's no more functional...
I look at people sitting on the train or where ever listening to some song...
Ya know...
My cellphone has a webbrowser with full internett capacity, and an mp3player. But it is not sort of not
good sound from it... I'm getting the upgrade itch...  :weights: Better sound, more capacity stronger
emotional impact please...

Imperial