The best sounding "ipod-like media player"?

JDUBS

Re: The best sounding "ipod-like media player"?
« Reply #20 on: 13 Jun 2007, 10:21 am »
Again, thanks everyone for a very good overview of the miniplayer choices.

My options, players:
  • Imod from Redwine, requires an extra amp?
  • Cowon JetAudio daps, choice of HD or card players
  • Trekstor Vibez

My options, in ear buds/ small headphones:
  • WESTONE UM2
  • Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5 Pro /or the new 10
  • Shure E5, or similar model from shure

O.k Now all I have to do is look at the small "partnering" amps out there.
A carrying case of some sort and then I'm closer to a moving nirvana!

I know, I'm an audiophile, but I've only ever had a discman for years, for sound on the go.
It's no more functional...
I look at people sitting on the train or where ever listening to some song...
Ya know...
My cellphone has a webbrowser with full internett capacity, and an mp3player. But it is not sort of not
good sound from it... I'm getting the upgrade itch...  :weights: Better sound, more capacity stronger
emotional impact please...

Imperial

Yep, will need an amp for the iMod.  Have you looked on headfi.org?  Lots of good info there. 

I use a LaRocco PRII portable amp with my iMod and Shure e5c headphones....nice combo!

bcretty

« Reply #21 on: 13 Jun 2007, 10:34 am »
I recommend the XIN SuperMicro IV amp for use wih IEM's . Highly regarded as one of the best portable amps and the worlds smallest.
http://www.fixup.net/talk/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1759 scroll down for the SuperMicro IV

Here is  link to a  headfi.org thread reviewing over 20 amps. http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=216903

Enjoy.
Brian

Imperial

• Love keeps us in the air, when we ought to fall.
« Reply #22 on: 13 Jun 2007, 11:26 am »
I recommend the XIN SuperMicro IV amp for use wih IEM's . Highly regarded as one of the best portable amps and the worlds smallest.
http://www.fixup.net/talk/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1759 scroll down for the SuperMicro IV

Here is  link to a  headfi.org thread reviewing over 20 amps. http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=216903

Enjoy.
Brian

:xmas: Oh! I'm gonna read this really carefully!
I guess I'm gonna be spending more than planned...
But hey, quality does come at a price!

Imperial

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #23 on: 13 Jun 2007, 12:10 pm »

Enjoy.
Brian
I use the Xin Supermicro, and have for the past few years.  It's great (and small; only a few percent larger  than its AAA battery).  If you go a little larger I'd look at Ray Samuels' compact designs too (Hornet, Tomahawk).

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #24 on: 13 Jun 2007, 01:39 pm »

Enjoy.
Brian

:xmas: Oh! I'm gonna read this really carefully!
I guess I'm gonna be spending more than planned...
But hey, quality does come at a price!

Imperial

Hi Imperial,

With the new 5G/5.5G iMod, I only modify the analog line-out (which outputs from the dock connector on the bottom).  As with any line-out, you will need an amplifier... this would be a headphone amp with built-in volume control, and you can also connect to your home audio preamp or integrated amp (you treat the iMod just like any source with a constant voltage output, such as a CD player).  I used the iMod as a source in my 2-channel home audio rig (I don't really listen to headphones) and it is one of my favorite sources  8)

However, with the 5G/5.5G iMod, I do NOT modify the built-in headphone output.  This is left stock and can be used with headphones, as the iPod has a built-in headphone output stage with volume control.  However, this won't come even close to as good sounding as the modded line-out + good headphone amp  :green:

If you have any other questions, there is a lot of info on the Red Wine Audio website (Products >> iMod) and please feel free to contact me if you still have questions that are not covered on the website.

Best regards,

Vinnie

Imperial

« Reply #25 on: 13 Jun 2007, 01:47 pm »

Hi Imperial

With the 5G/5.5G iMod, I do NOT modify the built-in headphone output.  This is left stock and can be used with headphones, as the iPod has a built-in headphone output stage with volume control.  However, this won't come even close to as good sounding as the modded line-out + good headphone amp  :green:

If you have any other questions, there is a lot of info on the Red Wine Audio website (Products >> iMod) and please feel free to contact me if you still have questions that are not covered on the website.

Best regards,

Vinnie

So, going with the Imod-5 I get a machine that is a portable and a source at the same time...
Nice!
And then I have to get an amp, but that's no problem, I have an Earmax Pro already (for headphone use), only need a portable amp for music on the go, The Xin seems a good choice.
Thanx for the info Vinnie.
Edit: Yes, I see I have to order it by ALO as a package obviously as I don't have the Ipod.
Hm, I'll need two dock cables as I see it, one dock to twin rca and one dock to mini.
I'm giddy as a schoolboy!!!  :banana piano:
Oh Oh, this is gonna go past a cool one I see, all in all...
So it's really as good as anything else as a source in a system? I'll say!
(please correct me if I'm thinking wrong here)
Getting the Imod means:
- 1 RWA Imod-5 from ALO, (with international charger?)
- 1 ALO dock to twin RCA cable
- 1 ALO dock to miniplug
- 1 Xin supermicro IV (connects to the imod via the mini-dock cable)
- 1 pair of Ultimate/Shure/Weston whatever earplugs..... will get later...

This is like 1500$ right?
If I'm going with this Imod I want it to perform at it's best in my setup!
I'd like some feedback on my thinking here before placing the order.
Have I covered the lot? Do I need more or less parts?
Feedback please, so I can get down to the purchase quickly.  :drool:

Imperial
« Last Edit: 13 Jun 2007, 06:35 pm by Imperial »

slwiser

« Reply #26 on: 16 Jun 2007, 04:20 pm »
Right now my iMod 5g with a Super Cotton Dock is pushing my Lavry DA10 hard...It is so close that I am I not sure that I can tell the difference but there are some tracks where the bass is still weighted toward the DA10.  Now this is with about 50 - 60 hours on the iMod.  It also may be that the iMod is still very new to me.  I will, of course, continue to listen to my desktop system as well as my portable one to compare when I have the hours on the iMod.

Imperial:

I can't help but think you will be very pleased with the iMod as your source.  I am using Apple Lossless files.  I initially used the AAC at about 300 vbr but soon went to the Lossless format with the detail the iMod brought to the headphones.

robert1325

« Reply #27 on: 16 Jun 2007, 05:46 pm »
Also if you're looking for some great cheap IEM's ,   the crossroads mylarthrees are nice.

Imperial

« Reply #28 on: 16 Jun 2007, 11:58 pm »
Pushing the Lavry "black" DA10 into the corner...
Hey, that is a feat not easily done!!!
I guess I will wait until I have heard the player before I decide on the amp an such.
Thinking about what cable to choose...
I have decided on the Imod, so let's just see how quick I can get things sorted out.

Imperial

slwiser

« Reply #29 on: 17 Jun 2007, 01:20 pm »
One more teaser showing my iMod 5g with my Super Cotton Dock and Ultrasone Edition 9:

BTW, I did a battery test last night using Apple Lossless files and it went 12 hours into the red without curious fingers before I called it to an end.  I really feel that the iMod deserves the UE9s that I am using.

Imperial

« Reply #30 on: 19 Jun 2007, 11:29 am »
Say, the Ultrasone 9's. Could you tell me how they sound? Have you also heard Grado RS-1 or RS-2?
Is the Ultrasone better?   :drool:

Imperial

slwiser

« Reply #31 on: 19 Jun 2007, 09:10 pm »
Say, the Ultrasone 9's. Could you tell me how they sound? Have you also heard Grado RS-1 or RS-2?
Is the Ultrasone better?   :drool:

Imperial

I have heard the RS-2 but not long enough to make any statements. 

Around the net the UE9 at one place has been favorably compared with the Grado PS-1 at www.h-kingdom.org.  Use Google translation and work out what is being said.  There has been a bit of discussions about how the UE9 stacks up against other top headphones over there.  Almost no one says they are better than the Sony R-10 which I have never heard.