New (to me) B60RP owner has a few questions

Viola

• Viola Audio Video
Re: New (to me) B60RP owner has a few questions
« Reply #20 on: 27 Sep 2008, 05:52 pm »
"I’m planning on auditioning PMC DB1+ and TB2+ with my B60.  Anyone know the approx. US MSRP of these?"

Here are the msrp of the new i-series:
DB1i - 1929.00
TB2i - 2450.00

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #21 on: 27 Sep 2008, 07:06 pm »
Thanks James.  Can the BP6 have both?

Hi Stu,

No- only the BP16 preamp or the B100 SST integrated amp can have both DAC and MM Phono.

james

Stu Pitt

« Reply #22 on: 27 Sep 2008, 08:33 pm »
I'm sounding like a broken record...

Thanks again James.

Also, thanks Viola.  I was planning on buying a pair until I came across my Yaras.

denjo

« Reply #23 on: 28 Sep 2008, 02:07 am »
Stu
If you need BOTH the phono and DAC but don't want a pre/power combo, the B100 is your ticket to audio nirvana. With 4 digital inputs and a reference quality phono all built into one neat chassis, and an absolutely musical sounding amplifier (pre and power), I sometimes wonder why I wasted so much time and money dabbling into other equipment when the B100 was a Godsend! At the moment I am having a ball of time feeding my SB3 and Oppo (sometimes both RCA and digital) into one of four digital inputs. The DAC shares a similar pedigree with Bryston's BCD-1 and BDA and will give you reference quality digital playback. I hope to upgrade my SAT TV and feed the digital signals into the DAC. That leaves me with one more digital input which I hope to connect to a Wadia iTransport! My trusty SOTA sapphire gives me excellent analog through the phono. I truly have the best of both worlds (ana-digi).

I don't want to derail you from your B60 but if you really want something that has ALL that you will ever want, look no further than the B100. What can you do with the B60? I would upgrade it with a DAC and relegate it to my bedroom or study!  :D

Best Regards
Dennis

Stu Pitt

« Reply #24 on: 28 Sep 2008, 02:54 am »
Thanks for your insight Dennis.  I've heard the B100 several times, and its the best integrated amp I've ever heard.  I definitely don't need to be sold on its virtues.  Its way beyond my budget.  If I had the money, even used, I'd buy one.

I greatly appreciate your insight on the DAC end of things.  I'm contemplating either getting the DAC installed in my B60 or getting a BDA-1.  The problem is, if I get the DAC installed, I lose my phono stage.  If I spend $1250 (I think that's what it costs) for the DAC, I'd have to spend at least $500 on a separate phono stage to get something almost as good.  More like $750 for the Dynavector P75.  Adding those up, it makes far more sense for me to get a BDA-1.  Only problem is that I have to wait a while longer to save the money.  My self imposed rule is to pay at least 75% cash for anything non-essential that costs more than a few bucks.  Crazy, yes.  But I'm much happier because of it.

Reason for the DAC is to get into digital music.  I hate to say it, but I'm getting a little too ADDish for my Rega Apollo.  I love the sound of the Apollo, but changing discs and burning compilation discs that I get half way through before I put something else on is getting old.  I love vinyl and have no problem with sitting through an album.  I like collecting vinyl and everything that comes with vinyl.  For some reason unbeknownst to me, my attention span for CDs is getting shorter and shorter.

Like you, I asked myself why I messed around in the past with other gear when I got my B60.  I could have saved so much time and money.  Until I need more power or get a significant raise, the B60 is all the amp I'll ever need.  I'll most likely never buy non-Bryston again.  There's a lot of great stuff out there, but nothing else is a Bryston.

denjo

« Reply #25 on: 28 Sep 2008, 03:09 am »

I'll most likely never buy non-Bryston again.  There's a lot of great stuff out there, but nothing else is a Bryston.

Stu
Well said! I like your financial discipline!
Looks like the BDA-1 route is best!

Best regards
Dennis

nickelbut10

« Reply #26 on: 30 Sep 2008, 02:30 am »
"I'll most likely never buy non-Bryston again.  There's a lot of great stuff out there, but nothing else is a Bryston."

You and I both Stu. I am finally here.

How great is James Tanner. Giving real people, real support, right from the top. Bravo James and Bryston. To think such a great audio company is just down the 401 from me. Makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.lol.

templetune

« Reply #27 on: 10 Oct 2008, 03:05 pm »
We're still not dead set clear on the serial number after which the SST models kick in. Can anyone help? If one had, say, serial number 601728, is it an SST or the earlier version?

It's a superb amplifier in any case...

rob80b

« Reply #28 on: 10 Oct 2008, 06:12 pm »
We're still not dead set clear on the serial number after which the SST models kick in. Can anyone help? If one had, say, serial number 601728, is it an SST or the earlier version?

It's a superb amplifier in any case...

From this thread, it would put the upgrade on units manufactered in early 2003.

New Bryston B60 Integrated?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2003, 08:32:27 pm »
   Reply with quoteQuote
"Hi,

The B60 has been using the SST output devices for about 6 months.
We have not changed the model number though.

james"

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=5812.0

rob80b

« Reply #29 on: 15 Oct 2008, 02:30 pm »
Just FYI,

Now I'm not too sure on the SST Implementation date, the B60R I picked up last week is dated 0120 and the insides look identical to this photo from the SST. Except my transformers are clear coated.

As apposed to the earlier version which has a slightly different layout, also check the transistors on the heat sinks.

I'm not too concerned either way as the B60 is just being used to power some surrounds, tried a 2BLP Pro but the remote with the B60R just makes it that much easier to adjust the levels.

Robert

templetune

« Reply #30 on: 16 Oct 2008, 05:29 am »
There are cosmetic differences too. For example on my B60, serial number 601728 - sold to me as B60 SST - though I now have a funny feeling it's not the SST version - the Bryston logo is silk screened on the front panel. The manual in the box says nothing about SST but then apparently James has said the model number has not changed.

I suppose could open it and have a look. It's not something I'd be scared to do but somehow I'd rather not with the Bryston.

Maybe James could help here.

Nice photos.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #31 on: 16 Oct 2008, 11:59 am »
There are cosmetic differences too. For example on my B60, serial number 601728 - sold to me as B60 SST - though I now have a funny feeling it's not the SST version - the Bryston logo is silk screened on the front panel. The manual in the box says nothing about SST but then apparently James has said the model number has not changed.

I suppose could open it and have a look. It's not something I'd be scared to do but somehow I'd rather not with the Bryston.

Maybe James could help here.

Nice photos.

Hi There,

Here is the info for you on the history of the B60.

First B60   #600001
First B60 to use double sided boards – 601350 --- therefore SST Output devices and phono upgrade available.
First B60 to use new outputs – 601733

B60 'DAC' upgrades apply only to mainboard revision 1.6 (april 1999) or higher. There is no access to the selector switch connections on the rear panel and no way to attach the DAC board considering the mainboard layout.

January 2006 started C-Series B60.

james
« Last Edit: 16 Oct 2008, 02:56 pm by James Tanner »

Hififreak

• www.brystonheritage.com
    • www.hififreaks.nl
« Reply #32 on: 16 Oct 2008, 02:36 pm »
James,

Earlier you wrote:

HI Orson,

Checked with engineering this morning and there is no upgrade from the previous B60 to the new B60 SST. It has a different main board. The link refers to some small part changes on the older B60.
B60's from serial number 601360 have the SST output devices.

james

:o

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #33 on: 16 Oct 2008, 02:59 pm »
James,

Earlier you wrote:

HI Orson,

Checked with engineering this morning and there is no upgrade from the previous B60 to the new B60 SST. It has a different main board. The link refers to some small part changes on the older B60.
B60's from serial number 601360 can have the SST output devices.

james

Hi there,

Yes I should have been clearer.  As of 601350 we could modify the B60 to take the new SST output devices.  We did not start using the new output devices though in manufacturing until serial number 601733. 

james
« Last Edit: 18 Oct 2008, 10:55 am by James Tanner »

Hififreak

• www.hififreaks.nl
« Reply #34 on: 16 Oct 2008, 03:17 pm »
I will look at home but I bought a B60SST with an, in my opinion, earlier as S/N 601733.
It is an 2006 model, not C-series.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #35 on: 16 Oct 2008, 05:41 pm »

Hi there,

Yes I should have been clearer.  As of 601360 we could modify the B60 to take the new SST output devices.  We did not start using the new output devices though in manufacturing until serial number 601733. 

james

Can my B60 be sent to Bryston USA and be converted to an SST?   S/N 601400

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #36 on: 16 Oct 2008, 05:54 pm »

Hi there,

Yes I should have been clearer.  As of 601360 we could modify the B60 to take the new SST output devices.  We did not start using the new output devices though in manufacturing until serial number 601733. 

james

Can my B60 be sent to Bryston USA and be converted to an SST?   S/N 601400

Hi Stu,

It would probably have to come to Canada.

james

rob80b

« Reply #37 on: 16 Oct 2008, 06:19 pm »
James,

Earlier you wrote:

HI Orson,

B60's from serial number 601360 can have the SST output devices.

james

Hi there,

james

Hi James,

I think you've gone and triggered our curiosity, as the B60's with ser #'s starting at 601733 (2000/2001?) would predate the 14BST and 6BST's in which to new the Motorola output devices were used before the SST designation and the revamping of the whole ST series.

“All SST amplifiers use Bryston’s proprietary output stage, which we call `Quad-Complementary’ [which] improves linearity to a new standard of accuracy, while virtually eliminating aggressive higher harmonic distortion products. The overall harmonic distribution…closely approaches an ideal Class-A output, except that the overall distortion is much lower.”

Also, if memory serves me right, the `Quad-Complementary’ is not implemented in the lower powered amps, as their distortion to start with is much lower.
At the same time I would believe it’s the higher output amps that benefited the most from the newer Motorola output devices, and which garnered the initial praise for the 14B and 6B ST’s.

Correct me if I’m wrong though.

Robert

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #38 on: 16 Oct 2008, 07:32 pm »
Hi Robert,

Yes the 'Quad Complementary' only applies to output stages with 4 or more output transistors per channel so your correct in that it only applies to the bigger amplifiers. We used the Quad Complementary circuits in previous ST amplifiers as well but with the older Motorola output devices.

The first B60 with SST ouput would be as you say around 2001. I'll try and get a more precise date for you.

The first of the official SST Series amps was the 14B-ST's and we built the first one on August 16th 2000.

james

Hififreak

• www.hififreaks.nl
« Reply #39 on: 16 Oct 2008, 08:16 pm »
Date posted: October 11, 2002

Regular readers will know what I (and any other listeners) thought of the first two SST products. These amplifiers have created a buzz that spans North America and Europe with their sheer transparency and power, but more on that below. The only amplifier that has yet to go from ST to SST is the integrated B60, but not only will that happen soon, but an integrated version of the 3B will also appear next year.

Click!