New (to me) B60RP owner has a few questions

Stu Pitt

New (to me) B60RP owner has a few questions
« on: 7 Jun 2007, 07:02 pm »
Hi everyone.  I just bought a second-hand B60RP and have a few questions.  I tried searching, and couldn’t find the answers.  Please forgive me if I overlooked them –

My serial number is 401xx (sorry, I wrote it down and forgot it at home), and date code is 9932.  I’ve seen several different versions such as BRIS, SST, and a few others that escape my memory.  Does anyone know which version I have?  I’ve seen here that there are updates/revisions.  Are any available for mine, and if so what are they?

How hot is it supposed to run?  Mine runs very warm.  Not scolding, but hot enough that the knobs get warm too.  I’m running PSB Image T55 towers, which claim a nominal impedence of 6 ohms, and a minimum of 4 ohms.  From everything I’ve been told and have read, PSB is very accurate and honest with their specs.  I’m also not running it at ridiculously loud levels. 

I’ve read here that the phono stage in the pre-amps are the same board as in the separate phono pre-amp.  Is this also true of the B60RP?

I’m planning on auditioning PMC DB1+ and TB2+ with my B60.  Anyone know the approx. US MSRP of these?

These things really don’t make that much of a difference to me at the end of the day.  They’re more of an FYI thing than anything else.  The way it currently sounds is more than good enough for me.  Thanks a lot!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: New (to me) B60RP owner has a few questions
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jun 2007, 07:28 pm »
Hi everyone.  I just bought a second-hand B60RP and have a few questions.  I tried searching, and couldn’t find the answers.  Please forgive me if I overlooked them –

My serial number is 401xx (sorry, I wrote it down and forgot it at home), and date code is 9932.  I’ve seen several different versions such as BRIS, SST, and a few others that escape my memory.  Does anyone know which version I have?  I’ve seen here that there are updates/revisions.  Are any available for mine, and if so what are they?

How hot is it supposed to run?  Mine runs very warm.  Not scolding, but hot enough that the knobs get warm too.  I’m running PSB Image T55 towers, which claim a nominal impedence of 6 ohms, and a minimum of 4 ohms.  From everything I’ve been told and have read, PSB is very accurate and honest with their specs.  I’m also not running it at ridiculously loud levels. 

I’ve read here that the phono stage in the pre-amps are the same board as in the separate phono pre-amp.  Is this also true of the B60RP?

I’m planning on auditioning PMC DB1+ and TB2+ with my B60.  Anyone know the approx. US MSRP of these?

These things really don’t make that much of a difference to me at the end of the day.  They’re more of an FYI thing than anything else.  The way it currently sounds is more than good enough for me.  Thanks a lot!

Hi Stu,

Welcome to Bryston ownership.

I would need the serial to be sure of the version but from the date code it is one of the earlier versions. The only change in the B60 has been the new SST output stage which is used in the newer SST version of the B60.

As long as it is not to hot to touch or shuts down you should be OK

Yes the MM Phono stage is the same in all our products.

james

Stu Pitt

« Reply #2 on: 7 Jun 2007, 07:44 pm »
Thank you very much James.  When I get home, I'll look up the exact serial number.  I'm pretty sure I read that the non-SST units can't be upgraded to SST units.  Is this true?

Thanks for making a great product, and the impeccable support James. 

PS - How great is this?  I ask a question, and the VP of the company answers it 26 minutes later.   :thumb:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 7 Jun 2007, 08:15 pm »
Correct - the older units can not be upgraded to the SST

james

Stu Pitt

« Reply #4 on: 8 Jun 2007, 03:27 am »
Sorry, I was way off with the serial number.  It is 601400.  Any idea which version this is?  Any updates?  Thanks again.

artk

« Reply #5 on: 8 Jun 2007, 04:04 am »
Hey Stu, good to see we hang in the same circles...pun intended...!

niels

« Reply #6 on: 8 Jun 2007, 04:14 pm »

Just for your information, I have a B100-DA SST, and when its been playing very low levels ( I actually only play very low levels ) for six hours the frontpanel and the volume knob is as warm as the top, and thats when it sound goooood.....

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 8 Jun 2007, 04:19 pm »
Sorry, I was way off with the serial number.  It is 601400.  Any idea which version this is?  Any updates?  Thanks again.

Hi Stu,

Checked the serial number and it was manufactured in summer 99 - so it is an original version of the B60.

james

Stu Pitt

« Reply #8 on: 8 Jun 2007, 10:24 pm »
Thanks again James.  Searching around, I stumbled across a previous post by you where you said "B60's from serial number 601360 have the SST output devices."

I'm assuming mine has the SST output  Mine being 601400, I'm assuming its the 40th B60 SST produced.

Niels,
Thanks for the info.  Mine gets this warm in about 1 hour or so.  You're absolutely right, that's when it starts to sound its best.  I'm probably being a little too conservative, but I don't want to leave it powered on at all times.

Art,
Great to see you here.  Are you trying to start a Rega circle?

artk

« Reply #9 on: 9 Jun 2007, 01:32 am »
I wish...

Stu Pitt

« Reply #10 on: 24 Jul 2008, 10:14 pm »
A few more questions...

Which Torus would be advisable for my B60?

Would a current B60 face plate fit on mine (S/N 601400)?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 24 Jul 2008, 10:43 pm »
A few more questions...

Which Torus would be advisable for my B60?

Hi Stu,

The 5 amp unit (RM5) would be the best choice.
I will check with Mike on the faceplate - I think it is possible.

james

smerlas

« Reply #12 on: 24 Jul 2008, 11:42 pm »
Stu,

Welcome.

The B60 does run a little warm, more so on the left side, which is where the output transistors live.  I left mine powered up all the time.  I did get mine to shut down on a couple of occasions from a thermal standpoint.  I had to run it pretty hard for a while for it to happen.  If you place it to ensure it has good airflow it should be fine.  Try to make sure no other component heat is adding to the operating temperature.  The B60 is truly a great little unit.

Now that you own this little gem, it will be interesting to see where the B60 takes you. :lol:

denjo

« Reply #13 on: 24 Jul 2008, 11:58 pm »
The B60 is one sweet amplifier! Heard it at a friend's place circa 2004 (can't remember which version) and was quite taken how musical it sounded. It was driving a pair of monitor speakers - Tannoys or Monitor Audio. The sleek look is also very attractive.

Congrats Stu, good investment choice!

Stu Pitt

« Reply #14 on: 25 Jul 2008, 12:29 am »
Thanks for the compliments guys.  As a heads up, I've owned the B60 for a little over a year now (see original post dates).  I didn't want to start a new thread for a simple question, so I dug up my old one and added to it.

A year later, and its better and better everyday IMO.  I went from PSB Image T55 speakers to Audio Physic Yara Evolution bookshelves about 2 months ago.  Such a huge upgrade.  They helped show so much more of what the B60 is capable of.

My next upgrade - after I buy a house - will most likely be a BCD-1.  The Apollo's no slouch by any means, but its no BCD-1 either   :thumb:

Why didn't I buy Bryston gear sooner and save myself so much aggravation?

Mike Pickett

« Reply #15 on: 25 Jul 2008, 04:41 pm »
A few more questions...

Hi Stu;

The current C-Series dress panels can be installed on any B60, but on older units such as yours it can be considerably more work.  The C-Series panel has lips that extend back over the top and bottom of the unit, and the screws that attach the top to the unit are partially obscured by the top lip.  Therefore, installing a new panel on an old unit requires replacement of the front bracket and top as well as the panel itself, making this upgrade very expensive and time consuming.

So, the short answer is that it's possible, but not practical.

Thanks,

Mike

Stu Pitt

« Reply #16 on: 25 Jul 2008, 06:53 pm »
Thank you very much, Mike.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #17 on: 27 Sep 2008, 03:25 am »
Some new questions, if I may...

I'm contemplating getting a DAC installed in my B60.  Am I correct that I can't have the internal phono stage and DAC at the same time?

Can the BP6 have both at the same time?

What type of the connection would the digital input be?  Or is there a choice of a few different ones?

Thanks.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #18 on: 27 Sep 2008, 08:04 am »
Some new questions, if I may...

I'm contemplating getting a DAC installed in my B60.  Am I correct that I can't have the internal phono stage and DAC at the same time?

Can the BP6 have both at the same time?

What type of the connection would the digital input be?  Or is there a choice of a few different ones?

Thanks.

Hi Stu,

Correct DAC or Phono not both ---not enough room.
The input is one COAX digital in.

james

Stu Pitt

« Reply #19 on: 27 Sep 2008, 05:03 pm »
Thanks James.  Can the BP6 have both?