Bryston CD Player Literature

Phil A

Re: Bryston CD Player Literature
« Reply #20 on: 8 Jun 2007, 07:05 pm »

[/quote]

if jitter is the case with using an external dac, then why even bother having all of those digital outputs on your player??  it just adds to the costs, does it not?
[/quote]

The actual connectors don't cost all that much for someone who has or wants an external DAC.  For example, the current outboard DAC I use also has a record output loop.  I use it to make CD-Rs for the car with a CD recorder.  I have not tried the Bryston CD player at home (I might borrow it when my local dealer gets it) but it is not out of the question that I could prefer the stand alone CD player for playback.  I can take one of the digital outs and either run it into the external DAC and out to the digital input on the CD recorder or just use the Bryston digital out right into the CD recorder.  If I ever get a hard disc media server solution or something of that nature, I can also still use an external DAC (e.g. play stuff on the Bryston CD player and store it on the hard drive and then connect the media server to the DAC).  I don't like my original media stored in the car in the temperatures it has to endure.

Bob Reynolds

« Reply #21 on: 9 Jun 2007, 04:23 am »
Hi All,

Here is the preliminary literature on the Bryston CD Player and the Owners Manual.

http://www.bryston.ca/pdfs/07/BCD-1CD.pdf

http://www.bryston.ca/BrystonSite05/pdfs/manuals/BCD1_MANUAL_20070605.pdf

james

James,

Will a block diagram be available? I assume it uses an async sample rate converter; I'm interested in how that is being clocked.

Not sure I will check with engineering.

james

James,

This one is easy.
The BCD1 does not use a sample rate converter.

Dan
Engineering

Thanks James & Dan. Sorry for asking a question that is clearly addressed in the pdf:

With the Bryston CD player the master clock and the drive are synchronized perfectly to eliminate any possibility of jitter affecting the sound quality of the player.

Bob Reynolds

« Reply #22 on: 9 Jun 2007, 04:29 am »
if jitter is the case with using an external dac, then why even bother having all of those digital outputs on your player??  it just adds to the costs, does it not?

Jitter is a possibility with an external DAC. It can be minimized (eliminated??) by proper use of either an async sample rate converter or by buffering. For example, the Benchmark DAC1 uses an async sample rate converter to make the clock driving the DAC independent of the clock driving the transport drive. I think the DAC64 from Chord uses buffering.

There's an excellent article on this here: http://www.theaudiocritic.com/back_issues/The_Audio_Critic_21_r.pdf

mariusconst

« Reply #23 on: 18 Jun 2007, 09:17 pm »
Hi James,

Any plans to release a scaled-down version of BD1?

I am asking you because, for me  - an SP1.7 owner - an ideal scaled-down version of BD1 would include:
- no balanced output (my SP1.7 processors does not have balanced inputs!);
- no digital output (if I want to let the SP1.7 do the processing, I could use any DVD transport!).

As an example, Meridian (or Simaudio etc) have two players: one with balanced outputs and another one without - and obviously there is a sensible price difference between the models. Also, Naim for example does not offer digital output etc.

Obviously these features are fantastic and they are required to build a pure balanced stereo system, but the existing SP processors owners will not be able to take advantage of them.

Thanks,
Marius

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #24 on: 18 Jun 2007, 09:43 pm »
HI Marius,

No plans at the moment for a scaled down version.

james

mariusconst

« Reply #25 on: 19 Jun 2007, 09:22 pm »
Thanks James!

Then, what about adding 2 balanced inputs to SP processor?

Marius

Phil A

« Reply #26 on: 19 Jun 2007, 10:32 pm »
I'm sure James will get to the above question.  I have the pro version of the SP 1.7.  It has a balanced digital input instead of the 2 toslinks.  When I go to upgrade it after HDMI gets resolved, I'll likely have them put in the 2 toslinks which can be assigned vs. the coax digital inputs.  James, in light of the above question, would it be possible to have balanced analog inputs where the toslinks are (or the balanced digital input in my case)?  Toslink to coax converters are cheap.  I have one to take the digital signal out of my HD TV Tuner to the system in the next room.  The Tuner has both toslink and coax but I did not want a 10 ft. long toslink with all the bends it would need to take.  I have the coax output of the Tuner going to the SP 1.7.  From memory it was something like $60 and it converts either way.  There are also more elaborate digital input devices.  MSB used to make (and still might) a product call "The Digital Director" to add more digital inputs both Toslink and Coax.  If I could get a pair of balanced analog inputs when I upgrade my SP 1.7, I might consider it was well.  I'm sure with cheap digital converters available, there are others who would like it too.  Dolby Digital signals are delivered in packets much like internet protocol and they are either there or not there.  I've made digital cables with 'F' connectors on one side for people so they could get those A/B video switchers and have another digital device hooked to their rec'rs.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #27 on: 19 Jun 2007, 10:42 pm »
Hi Phil,

We have looked at offering a set of Balanced inputs on the SP2 but it is really a matter of not enough real-estate.

If you look at the Balanced output section on the SP2 you will see that we use Discrete Class A analog circuits and they need a lot of room relative to IC chips.

james

Phil A

« Reply #28 on: 20 Jun 2007, 12:22 am »
Hi Phil,

We have looked at offering a set of Balanced inputs on the SP2 but it is really a matter of not enough real-estate.

If you look at the Balanced output section on the SP2 you will see that we use Discrete Class A analog circuits and they need a lot of room relative to IC chips.

james

James, thanks for the quick answer as usual.

mariusconst

« Reply #29 on: 20 Jun 2007, 05:03 pm »
Hi Phil,

james

Hi James,
I think that it might be a very good thing to add now two balanced inputs to the SP processor, obviously if you have enough room to for them. It would accommodate this way a completely balanced stereo system and it would add some weight in the decision of what kind of CD player SP owners will target. Especially now, when Bryston has a fully balanced CD player.
Speaking for myself, I would not mind letting go the optical digital inputs for 2 balanced inputs...
Thanks,
Marius

MacAngus

« Reply #30 on: 21 Jun 2007, 01:02 am »
Hi James,

I also would like 2 ch. balanced inputs on my SP2 in place of the 2 toslinks. I'm in the market for good CDP and the Bryston looks nice but I would like to take advantage of it's balanced outs or have a scaled down version, ( suggested by Marius) for 2 ch. Bypass, which I think is the great feature with the SP2.

Dan