LeAmp II measurements

rlinder

LeAmp II measurements
« on: 13 Aug 2003, 10:24 am »
I do not understand why they do not give this information. Maybe they do not have a tape measure with inches but even centimeters and kilograms would even be helpful. Now that they have the final product there should be no excuses.

Rich Linder

jones rush

Re: LeAmp II measurements
« Reply #1 on: 13 Aug 2003, 06:53 pm »
Quote from: rlinder
I do not understand why they do not give this information. Maybe they do not have a tape measure with inches but even centimeters and kilograms would even be helpful. Now that they have the final product there should be no excuses.

Rich Linder

Rich,
There are a lot of weird things going around the Le Amp 2 that nobody understands.

Michael, in general, seems unwilling to give any unnecessary information about the Le Amp 2.

I for one, simply can't understand how come he didn't test it against the Le Amp 1. Its like someone told him "Miachael, that's the Le Amp 2, and there is nothing you can do about it".

If I was Michael, I would be VERY interested how this new amp compare to the one it is going to replace, and in fact, if it didn't sound good enough, after an A/B comparisson, I would have tried to figure out what I can do to make it sing better.

Now, since Michael usually don't let people down, and the products eventually get rave reviews, perhaps there is something else which is playing here.

The only thing that comes into my mind right now, is that the Le Amp 2 hurts the customers and the sales of the Le Amp 1.

Michael don't want to offend the Le Amp 1 owners (especially those who bought it in the last couple of weeks/months), and let them think they made a big mistake not waiting to a much better product, for less the cost. So this is why he prefer to give as little info as he can.

eric the red

LeAmp II measurements
« Reply #2 on: 13 Aug 2003, 07:28 pm »
No physical measurements of the new amps ( :?: ) , no A-B tests against the old amps, a two month plus  delay after the first units were supposed to ship, only ten amps go out in the first shipment, and the owner of the company cannot answer a few questions (or gives vague answers to direct questions) on a public forum provided for his company gratis by the AC administrators from customers who have ordered the amps entirely on good faith. Is this good PR for an internet based company that relies heavily on word of mouth advertising? Go ahead and take me to task for this, but you all would give a resounding NO if it were any other company (remember the Don Nance slam-fest?). The truth hurts doesn't it?

Marbles

ETR, What the HELL are you talking about???
« Reply #3 on: 13 Aug 2003, 07:38 pm »
Quote from: eric the red
the owner of the company cannot answer a few questions (or gives vague answers to direct questions) on a public forum provided for his company gratis by the HD administrators  ...

This is Audiocircle (AC)  :wink:

eric the red

LeAmp II measurements
« Reply #4 on: 13 Aug 2003, 08:16 pm »
Whoops-I was just out walking my dog and the whoops! :idea: came on.

jqp

• Facilitator
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
LeAmp II measurements
« Reply #5 on: 14 Aug 2003, 01:30 am »
Guess you were thinking about how foolish you sound

eric the red

LeAmp II measurements
« Reply #6 on: 14 Aug 2003, 01:58 am »
"Guess you were thinking about how foolish you sound"

What's really foolish is that an internet-based manufacturer can't check in once a day to answer the questions of his customers on an audio forum that helps sell his products. I guess the 400.00 you all are paying for the new amps is proof that " You get what you pay for".

NealH

Re: LeAmp II measurements
« Reply #7 on: 14 Aug 2003, 01:58 am »
Since when are the dimensional measurements "unnecessary infomation"??   This does not make sense.  Its time to stop making excuses for this chap.

jones rush

LeAmp II measurements
« Reply #8 on: 14 Aug 2003, 02:32 am »
There is too much anger in this thread. I think we should settle down a bit. After all, Michael never let his customers down before. I'm sure there is a good reason why he's acting weird.

jackman

LeAmp II measurements
« Reply #9 on: 14 Aug 2003, 04:30 am »
Hey Jones,  

You must be loving this stuff!  You have people joining your efforts to discredit nOrh!  A truly successful troll.  You have gotten better since the HD days.  Nice work!

Jman

jones rush

LeAmp II measurements
« Reply #10 on: 14 Aug 2003, 07:35 am »
Quote from: jackman
Hey Jones,  

You must be loving this stuff!  You have people joining your efforts to discredit nOrh!  A truly successful troll.  You have gotten better since the HD days.  Nice work!

Jman

Anyone following my posts can easily see I have no intentions to discredit nOrh. On the contrary, if you'll read this thread, for example, you'll see I'm the only one here trying to defend them about this issue.

It's you that trying to discredit me. That's what it is. From the first moment I got here, you seem to fixated yourself on the notion that I'm here to troll, and never stopped trying to prove yourself right. Some contribution.

HarleyMYK

LeAmp II measurements
« Reply #11 on: 14 Aug 2003, 07:46 am »
My observation is that Mr. Barnes has become very busy with his computer company.  As much as he loves the audio world (and Audio Circle) he may be putting most of his time answering hundreds of e-mails a day about his computers as well as managing their design, production, and distribution.  In spite of this, I still have had relatively quick replies from Mr. Barnes to any direct e-mail I send him.

Also, he has provided a great deal of information about the Le Amp IIs.  I don't place any significance about the lack of comparison with Le Amp.  I think we just have to wait until the first of us get the puppies and break them in.

jones rush

LeAmp II measurements
« Reply #12 on: 14 Aug 2003, 10:28 am »
Quote from: HarleyMYK
My observation is that Mr. Barnes has become very busy with his computer company.  As much as he loves the audio world (and Audio Circle) he may be putting most of his time answering hundreds of e-mails a day about his computers as well as managing their design, production, and distribution.  In spite of this, I still have had relatively quick replies from Mr. Barnes to any direct e-mail I send him.

Also, he has provided a great deal of information about the Le Amp IIs.  I don't place any significance ab ...

HarleyMYK,
There are two things which I fear from, regarding Michael Barnes's computer company business:

1) If he'll succeed with this company, he might close, or strongly reduce his investment in nOrh. He already said he wasn't taking any money from nOrh. How much time can a person do community services ?.

2) If he'll fail with this company, he might get into financial difficulties (not being able to pay the first investment costs) which might make it very difficult for him to continue running nOrh at the same state as now.

Either way, I fear for nOrh.

ABEX

LeAmp II measurements
« Reply #13 on: 14 Aug 2003, 01:53 pm »
Why would you want to do an A/B comparision with another amp in your line and then give an opinion. It does not make much sense. It would drasticly curtail orders for one or the other products.

I have never heard of such a thing being done anyhere else by any manufacture, only if they where like SET amps to a high powerd amp then it would be for particular system stregths.

JoshK

LeAmp II measurements
« Reply #14 on: 14 Aug 2003, 01:57 pm »
I thought the original LeAmp was no longer in production?  Then why would it cannabalize sales of LeAmp I if there are no more of them to sell, except on the secondary market which Mr. Barnes does not profit from?

Marbles

LeAmp II measurements
« Reply #15 on: 14 Aug 2003, 02:46 pm »
I don't fear for nOrh.  Having met MB and his staff, it is my opinion that they are more than staff to MB, they are family.  I cannot EVER see MB cutting any needed financial support to those people.

MB has changed his product offerings due to the world financial climate by specializing in higher volume lower priced products.

As to the LA's, they are still in production made by IRD (they have a forum here).

It was my understanding that Curt Wishman of IRD wanted to create his own brand awareness, so he will no longer be selling his products through nOrh.

I see no reason why MB would want to do an A/B with a product he no longer can sell, that a competitor does.  OTOH he is welcoming comparisons to all other amps with the results to be posted on these audio boards.

Marbles

LeAmp II measurements
« Reply #16 on: 14 Aug 2003, 03:05 pm »
I should also add, that I do fear that the real marble cabinets will not be available for much longer.

MB has alluded to this recently on HD.  "The 9.0 marbles are getting harder and harder to get done. We can always do a kit of the 9.0 in Synthetic Marble."

http://www.harmonicdiscord.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10683&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Also, when I received my custome column side surrounds they had some minor blems that were below the impecable quality that had always been the hallmark of the marble cabinets.

When we discussed it, MB mentioned that it was harder and harder to find competant masons to sculpt these speakers.

So if you want marble cabinets, but were holding off for whatever reason, you might either want to act now or really keep on eye out on agon etc... and no, I won't be selling any more of mine.

thepogue

hear hear Marbles....
« Reply #17 on: 15 Aug 2003, 06:58 pm »
nicely spoken...I think that if anyone were to spend as much time looming over a compaines (ANY company) product details we'd not be buy anyting from anyone!! I'll just sit back and let nOrh do what they do best. Make great products for great prices. Now hurry up and send mine!!! NOW!! ;)

Peace and Patients, Pogue

jones rush

Re: hear hear Marbles....
« Reply #18 on: 16 Aug 2003, 08:01 pm »
Pogue, you really need to relax on the smoking a bit. At this rate you'll drop dead on your porch before the UPS delivery guy arrives.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
LeAmp II measurements
« Reply #19 on: 19 Aug 2003, 08:58 am »
Curt Wishman, founder of IRD, still produces the LE1 that he labels as MB-100 from Thailand (MB and Curt are in effect next door neighbors).  So I'm sure any comparison with LE2 would be "delicate" to say the least for Michael to express.  And Curt is working on a bigger version of the MB-100.  Their business relationship seems to have been mutually beneficial and I'm sure it'd be best left that way.

Personally I'm not interested in the additonal 3 dB of gain afforded by the LE2 as I've never had speakers that come close to requiring more than 100 wpc for home use.  Differences in sound quality however IS an issue.  I'm very glad to see all these IC based amps becoming available and eagerly await professional reviews and listener shootouts.