Reference Systems for Dallas, Boston, and Utah

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
Reference Systems for Dallas, Boston, and Utah
« on: 4 Jun 2007, 03:55 pm »
I'll have on hand for a short time three different systems to listen to this summer. Please send a PM or email if you would like to visit for a listening session.

Brucemck

Re: Reference Systems for Dallas, Boston, and Utah
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jun 2007, 06:33 pm »

What are they?

sts9fan

« Reply #2 on: 4 Jun 2007, 06:47 pm »
Well I am in Boston and would love to listen!

Christof

« Reply #3 on: 4 Jun 2007, 10:24 pm »
I will also be happy to host a listening session this summer for those in the Chicago area who may be interested in hearing one of Ricks designs but are too far from Rick's neck of the woods to hear his Reference system(s). 

edit: 
I guess I should note that the system will be comprised of a pair of mtmww's built with premium XO parts including Mundorf Silver/Gold caps. 

W's: Seas L26
M's: Seas Excel w15 Nextel paper cone
T'st: Scan Speak 6600 AirCirc
« Last Edit: 4 Jun 2007, 10:34 pm by Christof »

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #4 on: 5 Jun 2007, 01:44 am »

What are they?

Three different custom design line arrays and subwoofer towers. I'll also have a 10" 3-way.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #5 on: 5 Jun 2007, 01:47 am »
I will also be happy to host a listening session this summer for those in the Chicago area who may be interested in hearing one of Ricks designs but are too far from Rick's neck of the woods to hear his Reference system(s). 

edit: 
I guess I should note that the system will be comprised of a pair of mtmww's built with premium XO parts including Mundorf Silver/Gold caps. 

W's: Seas L26
M's: Seas Excel w15 Nextel paper cone
T'st: Scan Speak 6600 AirCirc

If I can work it into my schedule I would like to stop by this summer for a listening session. I have a pair of speakers to deliver to Michigan and if I hand deliver them I can come visit on my way back to Indianapolis.

jono2channel

« Reply #6 on: 5 Jun 2007, 04:27 am »
Did someone say 10" 3-way. Is that the one that will be spending its days in the lovely town of Victoria, British Columbia? If it is, it will also be available for demo purposes if anyone is interested. :thumb: :drool: :thumb:

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #7 on: 5 Jun 2007, 05:50 am »
If you make it to the Boston area this summer Rick, I'll make it a point to be there. For a chance to hear your arrays again, a 4 hour trip is very doable!  :thumb:

Robin

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #8 on: 6 Jun 2007, 01:21 pm »
If you make it to the Boston area this summer Rick, I'll make it a point to be there. For a chance to hear your arrays again, a 4 hour trip is very doable!  :thumb:

Robin

Good to hear from you again. I don't know if I'll be up there this summer but if so I need to find a good lobster roll  :D

EDS_

« Reply #9 on: 6 Jun 2007, 02:18 pm »
I'd find a way to listen to a system in Dallas. I'm going to buy new speakers sometime fairly soon. So the timing is right for me.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #10 on: 6 Jun 2007, 04:39 pm »
I'd find a way to listen to a system in Dallas. I'm going to buy new speakers sometime fairly soon. So the timing is right for me.

I'll check with the owner to see if he would be open to do that. If so, I'll have you email me and I'll forward it on to him.

beemer

« Reply #11 on: 6 Jun 2007, 11:27 pm »
Hey Rick!

The door is always open here if you want to do the Boston area again. Lodging included!

Only problem is my livingroom is a bit overpopulated.  :o:duh:

I have set up half the garage as a secondary summer  listening area.

Good quality electronics are on hand to power whatever you could bring, up to and including the MC275 that we had last year as I bought it.

Best,

Paul  :green:
« Last Edit: 7 Jun 2007, 12:04 am by beemer »

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #12 on: 7 Jun 2007, 02:53 pm »
Hey Rick!

The door is always open here if you want to do the Boston area again. Lodging included!

Only problem is my livingroom is a bit overpopulated.  :o:duh:

I have set up half the garage as a secondary summer  listening area.

Good quality electronics are on hand to power whatever you could bring, up to and including the MC275 that we had last year as I bought it.

Best,

Good to hear from you again! Is there any ADS vintage piece that you don't have?  :lol:

beemer

« Reply #13 on: 7 Jun 2007, 09:07 pm »
Good to hear from you again! Is there any ADS vintage piece that you don't have?  :lol:

LOL I don't have L2030's!  I have refinished the veneer on the L910's in the pic. I'm a sucker for a/d/s/.... These 910's are GREAT for Rock n Roll. The word is PUNCHY. 

Regardless, my door is always open here for you if you want to do it again. Just pick a date far enough in advenace and I'l get the word out.

Best,

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #14 on: 16 Jun 2007, 02:16 am »

LOL I don't have L2030's!  I have refinished the veneer on the L910's in the pic. I'm a sucker for a/d/s/.... These 910's are GREAT for Rock n Roll. The word is PUNCHY. 

Regardless, my door is always open here for you if you want to do it again. Just pick a date far enough in advenace and I'l get the word out.

Best,

When I was young & couldn't afford those ADS L810s & L910s, I would walk into the Pacific Stereo stores that demo'd them & just stare, practically drooling, almost crying.  I'd still snag a pair if I could.  I loved the sound & the look was to die for.  In other words, I feel your pain....

beemer

« Reply #15 on: 17 Jun 2007, 04:56 pm »
When I was young & couldn't afford those ADS L810s & L910s, I would walk into the Pacific Stereo stores that demo'd them & just stare, practically drooling, almost crying.  I'd still snag a pair if I could.  I loved the sound & the look was to die for.  In other words, I feel your pain....

Same for me......only on the East coast and it was Tech Hifi and other stores. Now I'm a bit older, kids are gone and I have found quite a few of the vintage pieces I couldn't afford back when. Some live up to my expectations, some do not. I can truly say that after a refinish and new caps on the xovers the a/d/s/ L910's exceed my expectations.

Best,

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #16 on: 17 Jun 2007, 05:25 pm »
I bet they would exceed mine too.  There's no way something that sounded that good, even though we're talking about the early '70s (19, not 18!), could sound "bad" even by today's standards.  Besides, speakers IMO have improved but how much? 

I've never heard ANY high-end system come within the same solar system of the performance of Tower of Power playing back on the 16-24 track master tapes at The Record Plant Sausalito when I worked there.  Watching them & working w/ them at that time makes all this seem like such a joke.

The studio employed in each of four corners two JBL 15s & a huge radial horn, actively x'd & biamped, each section driven by one channel of a Crown DC300 pumped hard practically 24/7 & virtually never failed.  We listened in the control room while they recorded, they walked back in the control room & the difference in sound was virtually indistinguishable. 

TOP listens to several tracks of music (Roy Buchanan), Mick casually writes out the entire horn arrangement while eating, conversing, whatever...the band walks in the studio & looks it over for a few minutes & after one very brief rehersal virtually perfect music including a couple solos...insane.  Your guts get moved around in the same small room w/ a baritone sax.     

Hey, what was the relationship between ADS & Bruan?  I loved virtually every Braun/ADS I heard.  The then ultra-expensive minis were to DIE for.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #17 on: 18 Jun 2007, 03:57 pm »
I bet they would exceed mine too.  There's no way something that sounded that good, even though we're talking about the early '70s (19, not 18!), could sound "bad" even by today's standards.  Besides, speakers IMO have improved but how much? 

I've never heard ANY high-end system come within the same solar system of the performance of Tower of Power playing back on the 16-24 track master tapes at The Record Plant Sausalito when I worked there.  Watching them & working w/ them at that time makes all this seem like such a joke.

The studio employed in each of four corners two JBL 15s & a huge radial horn, actively x'd & biamped, each section driven by one channel of a Crown DC300 pumped hard practically 24/7 & virtually never failed.  We listened in the control room while they recorded, they walked back in the control room & the difference in sound was virtually indistinguishable. 

TOP listens to several tracks of music (Roy Buchanan), Mick casually writes out the entire horn arrangement while eating, conversing, whatever...the band walks in the studio & looks it over for a few minutes & after one very brief rehersal virtually perfect music including a couple solos...insane.  Your guts get moved around in the same small room w/ a baritone sax.     

Hey, what was the relationship between ADS & Bruan?  I loved virtually every Braun/ADS I heard.  The then ultra-expensive minis were to DIE for.

TOP's direct-to-disc for Sheffield is one of my favorites  :thumb:

Carl V

« Reply #18 on: 18 Jun 2007, 04:43 pm »

TOP's direct-to-disc for Sheffield is one of my favorites  :thumb:

I too love TOP direct to disc recording as well as many of my Nautilis LPs.

I highlighted a comment about speaker quality over the years....I don't want to
argue about the finer points but in general I'd say I have to agree in 'general terms'.

I just spent a few hours at a friends home listening to his DQ10...nice but nowadays
we'd hear them decribed as dark or laid back.  The other shocker was hearing a pair
of his Infinites....however, there are many modern designs which now
rival that sound for a fracion of the $$ & size.

I've also heard some Pacific Stereo House brands recently (Concept & Quadraflex)
their Integrated sounds pretty darned good actually but the Quadraflexes haven't
aged well.  Also Pacific Strereo sold some great JBL L110 et c...& they too haven't
aged quite as well.

Just the musings of an old fart...take it for what it's worth. :lol:

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #19 on: 18 Jun 2007, 07:50 pm »
Mega apologies for screwing up this thread: about 15 years ago I received two pair of old JBL L100s...and was pretty darn blown away, old disintegrated orange grills & all....those suckers sold in minutes from an old Chron add, phone didn't stop ringing.  Wish I kept a pair....

jimbo