ModWright Phono Preamps - Reviews, Feedback and Info

modwright

The purpose of this thread is to share customer feedback, reviews scheduled, etc.  The SWP 9.0SE standalone phono and the SWLP 9.0SE preamp with built-in phono and external supply have been available since the start of the year, but as more people here it, the reality of their performance is becoming known.

Current reviews in the works:

Greg Weaver - Positive Feedback Online - SWP 9.0SE
Tone Audio - Tom - SWP 9.0SE
10 Audio - SWLP 9.0SE.

Others are pending and this list will be updated.

Below are some comments that 'Scompracer' was good enough to share with me from a local Hifi Get Together where he brought his vinyl rig along with SWLP 9.0SE to share with the uninitiated, how good vinyl can be ;).

Almost forgot....listened to Rich's vinyl rig; what can I say; I didn't want to hear it and I shouldn't have...I still think it's impossible it could sound sooooooo good. I don't want to get into it.....no....I won't.....

Your TT rig was stellar as I haven’t heard a proper analog rig in over 15 years.

Rich's vinyl rig sounded simply euphoric.

SCompRacer's vinyl rig was literally out of this world. I could listen to vinyl all day long on that rig (as long as someone else did the prep work.

I will share more feedback and links to reviews.  Thank you, all that have purchased and shared your impressions to date.

Dan W.
« Last Edit: 26 Apr 2009, 05:48 pm by modwright »

Stercom

Re: ModWright Phono Preamps - Reviews, Feedback and Info
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jun 2007, 05:57 pm »
I upgraded to a SWLP 9.0SE and received it about a week ago from Dan. I have a VPI Super ScoutMaster Signature table and Sumiko Blackbird cartridge. Straight out of the box it was evident Dan's phono section has much better tone quality and soundstaging than my previous phono preamps which over the years have included a Blue Circle BC27, Audio Research PH-3, Jolida JD-9A and a EE MiniMax. The bass sounds a little soft and clarity could be better. I will update as the caps stabilize and I do a little tube rolling. First impression: Very promising and will most likely get better as I get more hours on it.

mtodde

« Reply #2 on: 6 Jun 2007, 02:10 am »
The SWP sounds magical in Tom's system.  I'm sure his review will be very positive.  He said it blew away is ARC PH-3 SE phono stage.

SCompRacer

« Reply #3 on: 6 Jun 2007, 05:19 am »
I was skeptical of the 400 hour burn in for my SWLP with the Teflon film caps but I believe it now.  I really missed the Sonicaps until I had about 225 hours on it.  When I took it to the local audio get together mentioned above, the SWLP only had a little over 250 hours on it.  I have a friend that had Dan upgrade his SWL 9.0 with the tube PS and MWI signature caps.  He was ready to drop it out of a two story window but has reconsidered after putting over 200 hours on it. 

I used that Granite Audio Phono Burn In CD with an inexpensive CD player to put the hours on mine.

Stercom

« Reply #4 on: 7 Jun 2007, 10:35 pm »
Good suggestion on the Granite Audio phono burn-in disc - ordered mine today. MusicDirect sells the MC version which apparently is the sole distributor of it.

SCompRacer

« Reply #5 on: 9 Jun 2007, 01:39 am »
Good suggestion on the Granite Audio phono burn-in disc - ordered mine today. MusicDirect sells the MC version which apparently is the sole distributor of it.

Yes!  That is the one I have.  Track 33 is the MC burn in track.  Thanks for bringing up the MusicDirect version. 

TONEPUB

« Reply #6 on: 9 Jun 2007, 02:23 am »
400-500 hours is the magic number...
Those Teflon caps take a long time, but the wait is worth it!!!

Stercom

« Reply #7 on: 12 Jun 2007, 04:49 pm »
Follow-up: I now have barely 20 hours on my SWLP 9.0SE's phono section and the bass has already tightended-up and the clarity has vastly improved. I can now say this is the best phono preamp I've owned. Things will only get better after I get/use the Granite Audio phono burn-in disc. I've heard some very expensive analog systems over the years and I don't think they were getting the sound I'm now getting out of my rig but, of course, I'm biased. No doubt this is a great phono preamp.  The line stage is just is good but thats for another thread...

modwright

« Reply #8 on: 13 Jun 2007, 06:12 am »
Thanks for your feedback.  The caps do indeed need time to burn in and the Granite Audio CD is perfect.  Several reviews are in the works for the SWLP and SWP phono stages.

In case there is some confusion about pricing, with regards to the SWP 9.0SE standalone phono and SWLP LS and Phono, here goes:

SWP 9.0SE = $2995 (standalone phono stage with internal tube-rectified PS).

SWLP 9.0SE = $4495 (Full preamp - LS and phono stage in one, with external tube-rectified power supply).

SWL 9.0SE to SWLP 9.0SE Upgrade = $2300 (Cost to upgrade a stock 9.0SE to SWLP 9.0SE with tube-rectified supply).

Please contact your nearest MWI dealer to purchase or upgrade.

Thanks,

Dan W.

modwright

SWLP 9.0SE Review by Jerry Siegel from 10Audio!
« Reply #9 on: 25 Jun 2007, 07:58 pm »
SWLP 9.0SE Review by Jerry Siegel from 10Audio!

http://www.10audio.com/modwright_swlp9.htm

"...The bass is very powerful and controlled, but without any reduction of low level detail. It is very easy to hear the smallest vibration of a string from any bass instrument, and bass drums have a natural sense of impact and tone. The initial impulse of a drum stick or mallet hitting the drum head is easily heard as a distinct sound, properly momentary in duration. This initial impulse is the basis for a perfect launch of a bass wave that is very real sounding. The term "fast bass" is certainly applicable to the sound of this preamplifier..."

Stercom

« Reply #10 on: 25 Jun 2007, 09:22 pm »
Just read the 10Audio review. Its very positive but I think he was describing a SWLP that wasn't fully broken-in! I now have about 200 hours on the line stage and about 250 hours on the phono stage using the Granite Audio phono burn-in CD. The mids and highs do not have a "consistent sense of forwardness" once the preamp is broken-in. I would have probably agreed with that statement when my SWLP had about 50 hours on it.  The "transistory quality" in the MC stage he mentions I heard in both the MM and MC phono stages on my unit but that too went away after proper burn-in. I like 10Audio and have even purchased the Quicksilver V4 amps and Gallo speakers he recommends. However, I don't think he heard the true sound quality of this preamp. As has been said many times by Dan and others on this board those caps take a long time to sound their best. Anyway, I do agree with everything else said in the review especially the build quality, soundstaging, extreme quiet operation and just overall excellent sound quality of this preamp. 

JerryH

« Reply #11 on: 26 Jun 2007, 02:01 pm »
I had a brief discussion with him a while back where his listening bias was evident. It was about my comparison of the SWL 9.0 to a Conrad Johnson 17LS. He clearly preferred the tubey, romantic sound as opposed to an accurate, dynamic presentation. I've had my SWLP for awhile now and it balances those seemingly opposing philosophies extremely well. I do think his review is really good when you account for his template. He did give it a '9'
The thing about 'eye closers' (classical, jazz, high brow) and 'toe tappers' (ZZ Top, Clint Black, redneck white trash)  kinda touch on something. In my opinion, I think some prefer the warm softness of tubes over low level resolution and accuracy because too much information distracts and captures their focus from the heart of the music. Of course, accuracy and dynamics taken to extreme the other way can be cold and clinical. What I personally love about the SWLP is I can enjoy both the subtle warmth and life-like textures of the tubes and still hear everything going on in the recording. I don't have to choose whether I'm an eye closer or a toe tapper. From top to bottom, this preamp strikes the perfect balance for me.

modwright

New Feedback RE SWP 9.0SE Vs. ASR Basis Phono!
« Reply #12 on: 28 Jul 2007, 08:38 am »
I just had to share the following feedback from a ModWright SWP 9.0SE customer who had the opportunity to compare the SWP 9.0SE to the ASR Basis.  I thought that others would find the result interesting.

...a local dealer offered to let me try the 7,000.00 ASR Basis Exclusive battery powered solid state phono amp,i had it for a weekend and listened to a wide range of records,and it sounded very nice,as one would expect for that price,but when he came to pick it up i told him the Modwright, not only sounded better, but the music was more realistic the texture and tone of the acoustic instruments was far superior and the soundstage magical....

I also used the Cary 302,not far from your price point,and as far as a tube phonostage the difference was like walking and riding,the Modwright did the riding!

J. Breckow - 7.27.07

Michael Fremer also made positive mention of the SWP 9.0SE in his show coverage from NYC.  We intend to provide a unit for review at his convenience.

Thanks,

Dan W.

madders

« Reply #13 on: 3 Nov 2007, 04:29 pm »
Just a quick question..I have just placed an order for a SWLP 9.0SE with tube rectified power supply (bit of a leap of faith but alas nowhere to demo locally here in the UK). Can someone confirm if this unit has 2 pairs of pre outs the same as the SWL 9.0SE? I have a Bel Canto S300 amp and was considering getting another S300 to bi amp  :)

Thanks,
Steve

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #14 on: 3 Nov 2007, 07:04 pm »
Hi Steve,
 Yes, the SWLP does have two sets of outputs so you can bi-amp or use a powered subwoofer.
 I use my SWLP for bi-amping periodically.
« Last Edit: 3 Nov 2007, 10:15 pm by Response Audio »

madders

« Reply #15 on: 3 Nov 2007, 09:57 pm »
Hi Steve,
 Yes, the SWLP does have two sets of outputs so you can bi-amp or use a poer subwoofer.
 I use my SWLP for bi-amping periodically.

Thanks for the confirmation Bill  :thumb:

madders

« Reply #16 on: 17 Nov 2007, 12:16 pm »
Another (possibly dumb) question, but I am looking to get the Granite Audio burn in disc and wondered if there would be any problem if I unplugged the speakers whilst I played the disc? 

modwright

Customer Feedback: SWLP 9.0SE with tube-rectified PS.
« Reply #17 on: 20 Nov 2007, 07:26 pm »
I hooked up the components, took out a favorite Coleman Hawkins LP, set the stylus down and held my breath. In seconds I was near tears, of joy that is.

Dan, my ModWright SWLP 9.0SE supplying a FirstWatt F3 and powered by juice from a BPT power conditioner delivers music more beautiful than my first Love (stealing a line from W.B. Yeats). I am speechless. Coleman is quickly followed by Louis Armstrong, the London Symphony Orchestra, Willie Dixon, Muddy Waters, the Kings of Leon, Neko Case, Nirvana, Death Cab for Cutie, Bix Beiderbecke, Santana, even Justin Timberlake (for my wife) and the orginal recording of Camelot (again, for Gorgeous). These musicians are not idols to be heard from far away through an electronic filter; they are guests in my house, my room! Unbelievable. I have listened almost continuously since that moment and the awe remains undiminished. Even my wife has to admit that the sound is incredible, and she doesn't even care about audio.

Thank you SO MUCH!

I have waited for this for such a long time...  I have waited to hear music this way in my own home for thirty years, ever since I first became interested in audio as a teenager. I thought I would never achieve it unless I won the lottery, robbed a high end stereo store or rented a loft apartment from the stage crew at a major music
venue.

Yet, here it is. YESSSSSSS!!!

B. Karaman - 1.20.07

GregC

« Reply #18 on: 21 Nov 2007, 03:19 am »
I have owned my SWP 9.0 SE since the beginning of March this year, and I now have about 300 hours on it.  I would like to share my experience with other people on the forum since I have lived with the phono stage long enough to have a good appreciation for what it can do.

Right out of the box the soundstage was expansive and the sound was dynamic and harmonically rich; however, the sound was initially a bit forward (yet still not harsh in any way).  Before I listened to the phono stage for the first time, I swapped out the 5687 tubes with Cryo tubes from Tubeworld and a 1962 Mullard 5AR4 rectifier tube.  I put Herbie Tube dampers on all of the tubes.

I have owned several different phono stages, so I will share the list to provide a context for my listening experience.  I have owned a Monolithic PS2 (that was subsequently upgraded by Dan), a Graham Slee 2.0 SE, a Bel Canto PHONO1, an Ayre P-5XE, a ZYX Artisan, and finally the Modwright SWP 9.0 SE.

After 300 hours the phono stage has improved to a level that I cannot imagine having anything else in my system.  The forwardness smoothed out over time so I credit that to the caps finally breaking in.  The dynamics seem to have no limit or boundaries.  The sound is coherent from top to bottom without any added emphasis on any part of the audio spectrum.  There is breath and air between the instruments, without any euphonic effect sometimes heard in tubes.  The soundstage is layered with a true sense of height, depth, and width.  The phono stage is very quiet and that further accentuates the dynamics because of the black background.  Pianos sound like pianos and violins sound like violins.  There is a great sense of PRAT without hyper exaggeration.   The phono stage has provided consistent playback with all genres of music that I have listened to (from punk rock to classical).

Enough of the audio hyperbole...  I would wholeheartedly recommend this phono stage to anyone that wants world-class vinyl playback that draws a listener into the performance, but does not seem to possess any undesirable artifacts.
« Last Edit: 21 Nov 2007, 05:12 am by GregC »

robinje

« Reply #19 on: 21 Nov 2007, 06:22 pm »
Why did you change out the stock tubes and add tube dampeners without even listening to the unit as supplied from the factory?  Was something wrong with the stock tubes?  How can you be sure that changing out the tubes and adding dampening rings made a positive difference in sound quality without any baseline to compare with?  I would think that Modwright supplies the unit with tubes they feel are not limiting of the overall performance of the unit.  Perhaps I am wrong about this.  If so, please set me straight.