ModWright Phono Preamps - Reviews, Feedback and Info

GregC

Re: ModWright Phono Preamps - Reviews, Feedback and Info
« Reply #20 on: 21 Nov 2007, 08:01 pm »
Why did you change out the stock tubes and add tube dampeners without even listening to the unit as supplied from the factory?  Was something wrong with the stock tubes?  How can you be sure that changing out the tubes and adding dampening rings made a positive difference in sound quality without any baseline to compare with?  I would think that Modwright supplies the unit with tubes they feel are not limiting of the overall performance of the unit.  Perhaps I am wrong about this.  If so, please set me straight.

I have owned a Modwright SWL 9.0 SE when they first came out and listened to it with both the JAN tubes and the Tungsol tubes and liked it better with the Tungsol tubes.  I also tried the Herbie tube dampers on that preamp and found it to be a noticable improvement and currently use the same tube dampers on my Dodd preamp.  Dan even used to endorse the use Herbie tube dampers on his SWL 9.0 SE. 

Dan sent me the Tungsols which I did not use because I wanted cryo treated Tungsols (since I have heard the positive effects of cryo treatment before on tubes).  I have done a lot of tube rolling in the past and I do not even need to make comment on why I would prefer a 1962 Mullard 5AR4 compared to a new production Russian 5AR4.  Dan has mentioned on posts how a vintage Mullard 5AR4 makes a difference is his already exceptional phono stage. 

I do not understand the intent of your post if I am merely sharing my listening experience and the tube selection I made based on past experience (with both Modwright and other equipment). 

robinje

« Reply #21 on: 21 Nov 2007, 08:12 pm »
Thanks for the clarification.  I was simply interested in your motivation for using alternate tubes. 

Enjoy your new Modwright!

Happy Thanksgiving, too.

SCompRacer

« Reply #22 on: 21 Nov 2007, 08:32 pm »
I've upgraded my speakers, turntable and cartridge, but I still have my SWLP with the MW Signature caps and love it.

My fav tubes are the Raytheon 5687's in the pre and Mullard 5AR4 in the PS.

GregC

« Reply #23 on: 21 Nov 2007, 08:46 pm »
Thanks for the clarification.  I was simply interested in your motivation for using alternate tubes. 

Enjoy your new Modwright!

Happy Thanksgiving, too.

The stock tubes are very good (at a price point) and the Tungsols Dan sent are as good as the Tungsols I replaced them with (minus the cryo treatment).   My understanding is that you can only swap the 5687 tubes and the 5AR4 rectifier tube in the phono stage.

On my Dodd I tried 5 different sets of tubes before I settled on the 1965 Amperex USA 7308 tubes (with the early 1960's Telefunken E88CC tubes running a close second and serving as my backups). 

Even with stock tubes I bet the Modwright would sound better than any phono stage I have heard in my system (or friend's systems for that matter).  One day I had a chance to audition the EAR 88PB in my system and I definitely prefer the SWP 9.0 SE because it possesses all the harmonic density and richness of the EAR with better micro and macro dynamics.  I admire how Dan can create a tube design that has all the dynamics of solid state without any of the downside.

At any rate, I am simply sharing my opinion and people can take it for what it is worth.

Everyone have a happy and safe Thanksgiving!

My fav tubes are the Raytheon 5687's in the pre and Mullard 5AR4 in the PS.

I have not tried the Ratheon or Sylvania GB 5687 tubes, and I cannot afford nor have I tried the Bendix 6900 tubes.

SCompRacer

« Reply #24 on: 21 Nov 2007, 09:29 pm »
While they are still pricey, I use MU6900's in my ModWright 9100ES.  The last pair of NOS MU's ran me $375.  MU Engineering bought out the Bendix Redbank Division and rebranded the old stock MU and continued to manufacture tubes with the MU brand.  I compared the two and couldn't tell a difference, so I sold the more expensive Bendix off.  The extra detail the 6900's bring out make it worthwhile to me.  I prefer a 5687 over the 6900 in the pre amp though.

GregC

« Reply #25 on: 21 Nov 2007, 09:33 pm »
I no longer have the SWL 9.0 SE preamp (just the SWP 9.0 SE dedicated phono stage).  It comes with the internal tube rectified power supply and if I still had my SWL 9.0 SE I would send it in for the upgrade to the new caps and the tube rectified power supply.

modwright

« Reply #26 on: 24 Nov 2007, 05:11 am »
Thank you all for your recent contributions and impressions RE our phono stage design.  Some feel that it is our finest design of all of our products.  I put a LOT of time and heart into the design and did a lot of research as well as consulted with Alan Kimmel,   The first stage is all important and the combination of the first gainstage and seemingly endless R&D time spent on grounding, layout and PS design bore fruit in the form of a quiet and musical design I feel.

It is gratifying to hear that many of your are able to enjoy your vinyl to such a level.  Vinyl listening is a very special experience for me and, while I still have digital sources also, experience a connection to the music with vinyl that is unique.  If our phono design enables our customers to connect to the music in this way, then we have done our job.

As good as the SWL 9.0SE is, the ideal mate for the SWP 9.0SE IS the LS 36.5.

More good things are on the way for '08, so stay tuned guys.

Thanks!

Dan W.

larbo53

« Reply #27 on: 24 Nov 2007, 06:06 pm »
SCompRacer from whom do you purchase the MU6900 tubes?
 :scratch:

Thanks!

SCompRacer

« Reply #28 on: 25 Nov 2007, 02:32 am »
larbo53, I got them from underthesun61 on ebay.  My AC bud Normanality also purchased two pair from them.  Here is a link to one to of their expired ads for one tube. 

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-6900-Bendix-NOS-Single-Tube-Audio-Amp-5687-7044-7119_W0QQitemZ120185239052QQihZ002QQcategoryZ67816QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

kenreau

Congratulations Dan! 

I was just reading the new issue 13 of Tone and noticed you were awarded the TONEAudio Exceptional Value Award for 2007.  And it's not even the hot pink anodized model.

Very nice (in my best Borat accent).

I also noticed the MWI Transport mentioned as a great stocking stuffer.  I'm sure the Transporter will get it's share of awards as well in the future.

modwright

« Reply #30 on: 8 Dec 2007, 06:11 pm »
Thanks, the phono stage truly is exceptional and as more people experience it, it will gain the recognition that it deserves.  Some people who know our entire product line, consider the phono stage to be the gem of the line.

At CES (T.H.E. Show - Alexis Park), we will have a polished 'Blu' SWP 9.0SE, used with our polished and faceted custom Redpoint Turntable.

The Transporter is, I believe, the way of the future.  I expect that as more people here this unit, they will realize what an incredible performer and value.  The convenience is phenomenal and I am pleased to say that NOW we can offer Class A Reference sonics to equal the convenience and flexibility of the computer server system.

More good things ahead for '08!

Thanks,

Dan W.

JoMoCo

• Large Format - Big Sound...
Thanks Dan - Modwright Phono SWP 9.0 SE Service
« Reply #31 on: 5 Mar 2009, 10:47 pm »
I recently was having a problem blowing fuses in my unit and Dan asked me to send it in to have it checked.  He found the issue in the power supply, also ran some complete in depth testing/measurment to verify its overall performance & would not allow me to pay for repair or return shipping even though I am the second owner and may have even contributed to the problem by tube rolling unverified (you know the ones claimed "tested good on my Hickock etc..." via ebay)  vintage rectifiers. 

I also own a MODWRIGHT 9100 full boat which absolutely sounds incredible in my system as does the SWP.  Anyway I wanted to thank Dan publicly for not only having premium products but also backing up those premium products with service to match. Truly one the treasures in the hifi world who stands behind his products.

Fine print: This is an actual story from an actual person who acutally paid his own money in advance before receiving  these products, using & enjoying them in an actual hifi system of his own design...YMMV... If for what ever reason you take offence to my experience with Dan - BITE ME...

Enjoy Your Music

JoMoCo

• Large Format - Big Sound...
ModWright Phono Changes Modifications Coming Attractions
« Reply #32 on: 28 Feb 2011, 05:41 pm »
Hi Dan,
I hear you are working on some new phono things.  I have fallen for the sound of higher output "moving iron" type catridges.  Any chance your proto phono could accomadate an adjustable mm stage say 30dB or perhaps something that could handle a GE VR2 or mono cartridge of similar output?  Or maybe a volume control that could be switched in or out allowing to go direct to amplifier?  It sounds like Bob Levi also can appreciate the more "front of stage presentation" aka his review of the London Decca Reference. Anything you could share with us would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jon
 :banana piano: