Check out these cool Nakamichi TTs for sale

Nels Ferre

Re: Check out these cool Nakamichi TTs for sale
« Reply #1 on: 28 Apr 2007, 12:31 pm »
Wow!!! I love those!!!  :drool:

The famous "compensates for records with the spindle holes punched off center" Nakamichis.  I've always lusted after them.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #2 on: 28 Apr 2007, 01:13 pm »
The Golden Age of Japanese Direct Drive. Many well known Japanese companies created massive statement turntables, heavily researched and expensively built, these were subsidized by the millions of mass produced tables that sold to every household in America. They will never be duplicated or surpassed because the subsidy will never be there again.

In The Groove

« Reply #3 on: 28 Apr 2007, 08:56 pm »
Great for their day but you can easily get better sound at a fraction of the price today.

eric the red

« Reply #4 on: 28 Apr 2007, 09:21 pm »
Our own doug s. weighed in on the TX-1000 on AA a few years back:

In Reply to:  Re: NAKAMICHI TX-1000 TURNTABLE ???  posted by gware on November 19, 2001 at 07:19:08:

i passed on one i coulda got for ~$800, advertised on rec.audio.marketplace about a year ago - looked interesting - i think it was nakamichi themselves, that faxed me the cut sheets on it. but, in the end, i opted for a used oracle, which i upgraded to mk-v status, for not much more $$$. i was put-off by the nakamichi being direct-drive. perhaps an unfounded worry? oh well... in any event, i'm quite happy w/the oracle! :> )

doug s.
 :o :o :o

shep

« Reply #5 on: 28 Apr 2007, 09:31 pm »
Grotesque price (hope it's nobody from AC). For this kind of money there are TT's that will eat this and spit it out without a by-your-leave. If I remember the hole centering thing was complicated nonsense and severely compromised the performance. The other one would not hold up against a cheap second hand VPI. Sorry but this just gets me mad. Who are they kidding? Vintage gear is one thing (which this really isn't) but asking probably 5 times what it costs then is ludicrous!

nathanm

« Reply #6 on: 28 Apr 2007, 09:42 pm »
Is that a laserdisc put on there for show I wonder?

mca

« Reply #7 on: 28 Apr 2007, 10:32 pm »
And it's already sold  :o

WEEZ

« Reply #8 on: 28 Apr 2007, 10:49 pm »
As for Nakamichi...it's their tape decks that are worth something (in good condition)

WEEZ

shep

« Reply #9 on: 29 Apr 2007, 08:04 am »
A fool and his money are quickly parted...now that T-25 that Witese just bought, that 's more like it! Bet it didn't cost 15 grand either. Nak. never recovered from the decline of the tape deck market. They tried everything: amps, tuners and the above. I wonder what happened to their bright minds? When some of the big Japanese companies like Sony and Luxman started to down-grade or stop making hi-end gear, they lost a lot of inventive people. Occasionaly they re-surface as in the case of the Leben amps. Sorry, off topic.

togil

« Reply #10 on: 29 Apr 2007, 08:16 am »
Their chief bright mind since 1971, Mr. Kozo Kobayashi, is now the managing director.

Whitese

« Reply #11 on: 29 Apr 2007, 11:06 am »
there has been a rash of these top dogs from different brands sell quite quickly.....they are cool looking..too much $$ for my wallet though.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #12 on: 29 Apr 2007, 04:02 pm »
Their chief bright mind since 1971, Mr. Kozo Kobayashi, is now the managing director.

Looks like they are hurting for great (home audio) ideas nowadays....

http://www.nakamichi.com/flash.html

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #13 on: 29 Apr 2007, 04:16 pm »
Grotesque price (hope it's nobody from AC). For this kind of money there are TT's that will eat this and spit it out without a by-your-leave. If I remember the hole centering thing was complicated nonsense and severely compromised the performance. The other one would not hold up against a cheap second hand VPI. Sorry but this just gets me mad. Who are they kidding? Vintage gear is one thing (which this really isn't) but asking probably 5 times what it costs then is ludicrous!
i agree that the prices on agon are a bit much, but i disagree w/your assesment of these decks - they are excellent performers, & the "hole centering thing" is *not* nonsense at all - i t works, & it *does* offer sonic benefits.  if i had the $$$ back in 2000, i would have bought the nak deck mentioned by eric the red, in my a/a post, as well as the oracle i still use...

ymmv,

doug s.

lazydays

« Reply #14 on: 30 Apr 2007, 05:22 am »
The Golden Age of Japanese Direct Drive. Many well known Japanese companies created massive statement turntables, heavily researched and expensively built, these were subsidized by the millions of mass produced tables that sold to every household in America. They will never be duplicated or surpassed because the subsidy will never be there again.

actually Nakamichi Research was heavilly subsidised by the Japanese Government years back.
gary

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #15 on: 30 Apr 2007, 12:40 pm »
I see these turntables as the counterpart of American Muscle Cars from the 60s and early 70s. I've heard about Plymouth Barracudas selling for over a million dollars. Chances are the Nak tables may continue to appreciate. They will never be duplicated and there are not many extant.

Berndt

« Reply #16 on: 2 May 2007, 12:05 am »
reminds me off micro seikis...

TheChairGuy

« Reply #17 on: 2 May 2007, 02:12 am »
reminds me off micro seikis...

Bill, did you just spit up blood when writing that  :scratch: (given your recent sour Micro Seiki purchase  :wink:)

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #18 on: 2 May 2007, 04:44 am »
Is that a laserdisc put on there for show I wonder?

That's so funny...I didn't even notice it!

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #19 on: 2 May 2007, 04:51 am »

Looks like they are hurting for great (home audio) ideas nowadays....

http://www.nakamichi.com/flash.html

John
I clicked on it...hurting doesn't seem to begin to tell the tale.  A bunch of audio/video junk in sexy clothes that anyone can buy at Costco today in plain clothes for 1/10th the price probably.  You know to feel sorry for companies w/ intros like Nakamichi's.

IMO the biggest money in high-end audio will be in-wall speakers.  Even Joseph Audio has a very expensive pair now.  One dealer, a contractor/builder has several floorstanding & standmounts in his display office, along w/ the $4500/pr PBS in-wall.  He said most wives won't allow their husbands to even consider anything but the in-walls after they see/hear them-I doubt they even have to hear them!  (The PBS in-walls are nice but waaaay overpriced for the performance.)